Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Assault on Precinct 13 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
Now You See Me 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Any feedback on the 7703 yet?
Have one on the way and wondering if anyone has played with them yet.
probably not here in the 7702mkii thread.

see if there is a 7703 thread or create one and you will get folks to participate about it.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

turned on my pre-amp today to watch some football and guess what, got an update, one I've bee waiting for. it resolved the Pandora issue with the pre-amp and also enabled the user to choose between upmixers Neural:X/DSU for any formats.

it took a couple of minutes and everything worked and works just fine. thanks Marantz!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #43

Jan 2012

I just pulled the trigger on buying the 7702 mkII. With it being discounted by 1K to make room for the 03, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. My local small business Hi-Fi shop agreed to price match the online retailers as well so I was able to give them the business.

I can't wait to get it all setup but I will have to wait until next week as I also just purchased a pair of used Outlaw Audio mono blocks for my front mains that are being shipped. I currently have my Onkyo AVR powering the rear surrounds in my 7.1 setup and an Outlaw 5 channel for the rest and didn't want to go back to 5.1.

Furthermore, I was itching to upgrade my speakers from Polk RTI A series all around to something like Golden Ear or KEF. My local shop suggesting holding off on speakers and going with this pre/pro upgrade as the bigger step up right now. I was impressed with their suggestion, especially given how cheap this upgrade was compared to the speakers I was considering. Pretty sure they made no profit off the price match either... A testimin to good and honest customer service.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #44
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
turned on my pre-amp today to watch some football and guess what, got an update, one I've bee waiting for. it resolved the Pandora issue with the pre-amp and also enabled the user to choose between upmixers Neural:X/DSU for any formats.

it took a couple of minutes and everything worked and works just fine. thanks Marantz!
I also received the update over the weekend. (Took forever to install!)

What was the Pandora issue you were encountering?

I don't use Pandora myself as I am a Tidal and SiriusXM guy but I did notice intermittent dropout using both the native software in the Pre-amp as well as when I would AirPlay content.

Curious if you had the same issues with streams stopping intermittently with Pandora and this update resolved it as I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #45
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
I also received the update over the weekend. (Took forever to install!)

What was the Pandora issue you were encountering?

I don't use Pandora myself as I am a Tidal and SiriusXM guy but I did notice intermittent dropout using both the native software in the Pre-amp as well as when I would AirPlay content.

Curious if you had the same issues with streams stopping intermittently with Pandora and this update resolved it as I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
yes, the Pandora issue was resolved; it was an issue caused by Pandora and they corrected it. as for the SiriusXM drop outs, that's a SXM issue. I don't think the servers we connect to using the internet or apps on your phones or your car player are the same servers that devices like receivers and pre-amps connect to. if they are, there is something different about how they have created their software interface on our end that connects with the servers on their end.

Marantz, like other receiver manufacturers don't create the apps for the 3rd party built in apps, they just get what they are given and put them into their receivers. there are plenty of times I get hours of non stop streaming from SXM, then there are other times it keeps dropping out. this kind of thing never happens with the car receiver I have nor when I use the app on my iphone or when I'm on a computer.

this issue also happened with my Onkyo's too. we have to wait until SXM gets enough complaints from users to truly look into it and either send a software update to receiver manufacturers or fix it on the server end.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #46
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
yes, the Pandora issue was resolved; it was an issue caused by Pandora and they corrected it. as for the SiriusXM drop outs, that's a SXM issue. I don't think the servers we connect to using the internet or apps on your phones or your car player are the same servers that devices like receivers and pre-amps connect to. if they are, there is something different about how they have created their software interface on our end that connects with the servers on their end.

Marantz, like other receiver manufacturers don't create the apps for the 3rd party built in apps, they just get what they are given and put them into their receivers. there are plenty of times I get hours of non stop streaming from SXM, then there are other times it keeps dropping out. this kind of thing never happens with the car receiver I have nor when I use the app on my iphone or when I'm on a computer.

this issue also happened with my Onkyo's too. we have to wait until SXM gets enough complaints from users to truly look into it and either send a software update to receiver manufacturers or fix it on the server end.
Ah gotcha. Yeah, I was aware that it is up to the service provider to update their app but I was hoping that maybe this firmware update brought some overall network stability as I also get intermittent dropouts or long time for my devices to connect via AirPlay on my local network where the Marantz is wired into my network.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:03 AM   #47

Dec 2016

I'm just wondering if anyone is using a Marantz MM8077 amplifier with this great preamp/processor.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 05:32 AM   #48
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone is using a Marantz MM8077 amplifier with this great preamp/processor.

great amp I'm sure, a bit pricey for me, but, it's got good spec's and it's a matching piece from Marantz.

since I use my 7702mkii for 95% movies, I went with a less expensive amp with more power for movies. for me, I put the chunk into the pre-amp and since it's giving me great signal, I chose more power for headroom.

I would love to also hear from an owner of that Marantz amp you asked about to get their take on it. it sure is a very nice looking amp. if I had $5K laying around, I could have gotten two of them to cover my ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4 setup. but, I didn't, so.............
Thanks given by:
erhurd (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #49

Dec 2016

I'm not listening at reference levels, but I am also curious about how much heat does the MM8077 generate.

Thanks very much for your reply, solarrdadd!

Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 AM   #50
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
I'm not listening at reference levels, but I am also curious about how much heat does the MM8077 generate.

Thanks very much for your reply, solarrdadd!

me either, and no where near it; that's actually louder than people think it is depending on the mix. my front 3 are at full, no crossover (I've got some big 4ohm speakers) and I like the sound of it like that. this is why I went with more power, not so much for the level of volume, but to drive more of my speakers on the front 3 and save the sub for the other 11 channels!

you do pose a good question, I was surprised that the mkii is listed at half the wattage of my previous Onkyo 5507 pre-amp yet it is twice as warm which is odd.

having said that, my Marantz receiver in my bedroom is at least 2.5 times as warm as my old onkyo receiver. don't know why, but it's a fact. both of the Marantz still work better than the onkyos they replaced, no doubt, but, they are both warmer than them too. interestingly enough, my big 350wpc 5 channel amp, never gets as warm as the mkii, again, the mkii works fine as I have it open on all 4 sides with space over top too, it's just the way it's designed with the power supply and heat sink systems. still performs miracles every time I'm watching a movie, for sure!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #51
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

I haven't read the manual yet [emoji4], while playing Blu-rays is there a way to display the volume on the screen when I'm adjusting it?
Old 12-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #52
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I haven't read the manual yet [emoji4], while playing Blu-rays is there a way to display the volume on the screen when I'm adjusting it?
If you want to see where your volume level is, press The info button. Also when raising and lowering the volume it will be shown on screen.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #53
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
If you want to see where your volume level is, press The info button. Also when raising and lowering the volume it will be shown on screen.
I know about the INFO button. I'm interested in seeing the volume while I'm adjusting it. For some reason it works when I'm using Cable or Bluetooth inputs but not when I'm watching BDs.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I know about the INFO button. I'm interested in seeing the volume while I'm adjusting it. For some reason it works when I'm using Cable or Bluetooth inputs but not when I'm watching BDs.
whenever I am watching Blu-ray movies and I adjust the volume either up or down, it displays on the tv screen as well as the pre-amp window or the screen when the door is down.

I'm not sure why your not seeing the volume as it's changing. and only for that input. try putting the Blu-ray player into a different input and see if you get the same results.

I know that each input can be tailored, perhaps even to the level of what is on screen or not.

keep us posted.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #55
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Hello Solarrdadd,
Probably don't remember me, but based on your advice I bought the 5507 when I was upgrading my HT. Still running great and doing everything I need it to do. So because of that good advice, I, too, am looking to upgrade my entire HT this year (though my 77" OLED display is still a bit unattainable) and am very interested in this Marantz. Like you, my main use is always movies so I see you are using this pre/pro in a ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4 setup, correct? I am still a bit confused if this unit is capable of this setup so that's why I am asking the expert. Currently running a 7.1 setup and just want to add the four overheads so just want to be sure. My other questions are what overhead speakers did you go with or did you just use add ons? My HT has a wooden valence that runs around the ceiling that I was hoping I could hang the overheads on (if you look at the first pic in my HT photos you will see it). Did you purchase a separate 4-channel amp to power the overheads. Any info you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Your info has helped me create a HT that is my baby. Now that I have been retired since last April, I'm using more and more and want to start creating an even better setup (dying to buy the new UHD Oppo!). Thanks so much for your time and info.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #56
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
Did you by any chance turn off all video processing/upscaling on the Marantz for that particular input?

If you do that it will leave the signal untouched and pass it through but you lose the OSD.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #57
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
Hello Solarrdadd,
Probably don't remember me, but based on your advice I bought the 5507 when I was upgrading my HT. Still running great and doing everything I need it to do. So because of that good advice, I, too, am looking to upgrade my entire HT this year (though my 77" OLED display is still a bit unattainable) and am very interested in this Marantz. Like you, my main use is always movies so I see you are using this pre/pro in a ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4 setup, correct? I am still a bit confused if this unit is capable of this setup so that's why I am asking the expert. Currently running a 7.1 setup and just want to add the four overheads so just want to be sure. My other questions are what overhead speakers did you go with or did you just use add ons? My HT has a wooden valence that runs around the ceiling that I was hoping I could hang the overheads on (if you look at the first pic in my HT photos you will see it). Did you purchase a separate 4-channel amp to power the overheads. Any info you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Your info has helped me create a HT that is my baby. Now that I have been retired since last April, I'm using more and more and want to start creating an even better setup (dying to buy the new UHD Oppo!). Thanks so much for your time and info.
dude, of course I remember you, Happy New Year! for me, this 7702mkii is perfect (Marantz has released a 7703 just a couple of months ago) but, I am sticking with what I have since the 03 doesn't offer anything I need over the mkii.

I am currently rocking a 7.1.4 in the HT and since I live in an apartment, I couldn't do in ceiling speakers, so, I did on ceiling speakers and I used Polk Audio OWM5 speakers with dual 4.5" woofers. for me and my ears, they work and sound great and I'm loving them with no regret.

I have no doubt that there are better speakers for on ceiling solutions, but, for the money, I'm very happy with what I have. I would tell you that if possible, make sure you get something that gives you as close as possible to 6-8" of total woofer; you'll thank me for that tip later!

best of luck to you with whatever speakers you go with. if you have a brand you like (perhaps the ones you have) that can give you the woofer spread recommended, then go with that. I'm not going to tell you that the polks are the best because that's not going to be the case. I will say, I've not been unhappy with them and they continue to amaze me when in use with the Marantz mkii.

I also have a pair of them for my bedroom 5.1.2 setup! let me put it to you this way, I with my guests, Christmas Day evening, watched the Magnificent 7 in ATMOS in the HT, I'm still cleaning up the drool from the carpet and the seating (I hope that's drool! )

as for my interconnect cabling, I went with matching XLR's for the front 3 and matching RCA for the remaining 8.

nice to see you posting buddy. keep me posted.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #58

Jan 2017
Default Pairing

Hi, All. Newbie/novice here. Have 7702mkII and Oppo BDP105D in my system. Can't stream the video from youtube music videos to 75" Sony.
Marantz plays audio just fine and TV shows generic Marantz screen identifying artist/song, etc. However, the video portion is only seen on my
iPad Air 2 screen (and is out of sync with music).

Oppo suggests "pairing.???" System is all HDMI 2.0 connected and everything else works great.

Anybody have any helpful, constructive opinions on specifically what the problem is and how to fix it?

Much appreciated.

markwa
Old 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #59
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwa View Post
Hi, All. Newbie/novice here. Have 7702mkII and Oppo BDP105D in my system. Can't stream the video from youtube music videos to 75" Sony.
Marantz plays audio just fine and TV shows generic Marantz screen identifying artist/song, etc. However, the video portion is only seen on my
iPad Air 2 screen (and is out of sync with music).

Oppo suggests "pairing.???" System is all HDMI 2.0 connected and everything else works great.

Anybody have any helpful, constructive opinions on specifically what the problem is and how to fix it?

Much appreciated.

markwa
I don't think you can stream video to the marantz via Bluetooth, I think that's audio only. My iPad is paired to both my marantz pre-amp and my marantz receiver, both only stream audio.

I don't think Bluetooth can support the bandwidth for video, I thought it was more designed to stream audio, simple communications and static images pictures. I'm sure others will jump in and comment. Mind you, I don't Bluetooth anything other than a keyboard to my HTPC, other than that, nothing.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #60
Expert Member

Jan 2009
SF Bay Area, CA

Quote:
I don't think you can stream video to the marantz via Bluetooth, I think that's audio only. My iPad is paired to both my marantz pre-amp and my marantz receiver, both only stream audio.

I don't think Bluetooth can support the bandwidth for video, I thought it was more designed to stream audio, simple communications and static images pictures. I'm sure others will jump in and comment. Mind you, I don't Bluetooth anything other than a keyboard to my HTPC, other than that, nothing.
This includes AirPlay as well, it is limited to audio only.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems