Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30
21 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic
Default Grading advice

Anyone ever get any of their comics graded? I was thinking of getting a few graded and moving them. Of the three services, CGC seems really pricey, while PGX seems more affordable.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #2

Jan 2011
Ceres, California

Do NOT go PGX.... seriously if CGC is just expensive than try DCBS but please for the love of GOD don't do PGX

Trust me don't do it

-Brian
Thanks given by:
SixSpeedSamurai (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsip View Post
Do NOT go PGX.... seriously if CGC is just expensive than try DCBS but please for the love of GOD don't do PGX

Trust me don't do it

-Brian
OK, thanks. Was wondering. I have a few that I could do well with if they are graded.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:21 AM   #4

Jun 2012
Illinois

I actually started using CGC a few years ago and really like it. I joined the collectors society and got the gold package (I believe that was it) that cost $150 but you get $150 in credit for submissions. The only thing they don't cover is shipping & handling which can be a bit high. Also there are other benefits like percent off grading and whatnot. I've been really happy with it, but I haven't tried DCBS so I can't speak to that.

I have been told repeatedly by comic shop owners not to use PGX. They said they have had issues with them constantly regarding lost shipments or graded books and one owner of a store I go to said they were almost positive books had actually been swapped. Again, I haven't tried but can't speak to it, but they do not have a good reputation among collectors or shop owners.
Thanks given by:
SixSpeedSamurai (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapp25 View Post
I actually started using CGC a few years ago and really like it. I joined the collectors society and got the gold package (I believe that was it) that cost $150 but you get $150 in credit for submissions. The only thing they don't cover is shipping & handling which can be a bit high. Also there are other benefits like percent off grading and whatnot. I've been really happy with it, but I haven't tried DCBS so I can't speak to that.

I have been told repeatedly by comic shop owners not to use PGX. They said they have had issues with them constantly regarding lost shipments or graded books and one owner of a store I go to said they were almost positive books had actually been swapped. Again, I haven't tried but can't speak to it, but they do not have a good reputation among collectors or shop owners.
I may do them then, they seem expensive, but if I have enough books the membership might make sense. I have 3000 books cataloged, 10 long boxes to go.
Thanks given by:
Jpapp25 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Jun 2012
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
I may do them then, they seem expensive, but if I have enough books the membership might make sense. I have 3000 books cataloged, 10 long boxes to go.
Here is a link (not sure if this was shared already) to the CGC membership signup page:

https://www.cgccomics.com/join/

I haven't actually used their submission grading as I was able to attend C2E2 and get a bunch of books graded on-site, which is awesome because you get it at the end of the convention...although lugging around a box with 15 slabs in it was not fun for the last 2 hours of it.

Here is a short rant from my C2E2 experience this year:

This was the first time I'd attended a big comic convention since the 2003 Chicago Wizard World. Back then I don't know if grading was around, and if it was, it wasn't popular. At C2E2 people were insane were going nuts with getting the CGC people to witness signatures that they were getting to the point of arguing with people in lines and getting angry the signature lines weren't moving fast enough. I had originally thought about doing some CGC signature series but once I saw the effort and time it took to coordinate it I abandoned that idea. Autograph lines at these things are a different beast because of CGC now. I had gone to a Mark Millar signing a few years ago at a local shop and they had someone from CGC there, and I had him sign a few and decided to get them graded just for safe keeping, so I had assumed conventions were the same where a CGC person was just there(not sure why since having 100s of CGC witness people standing near each station would be ridiculous). From someone who's last experience was at a convention before this all exploded in popularity, I would say it's great for people who sell the comics but it just seems awkward for the random "fan" to meet artists and creators and having them sign stuff then having some random person hovering over it and collecting it and bagging it immediately after then dragging them to the next line. I guess I'm complaining to a degree but I really like just getting a few books signed and talking with some of the lesser known artists about their work and upcoming stuff. So I guess I'm still torn on the whole signature thing.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

Feb 2017

Agree with shadowsip go for CGC if not then try DCBS but no way PGX
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics