Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
23 hrs ago
Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 10-06-2019, 04:06 AM   #1281
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by januschi View Post
Perhaps this has already been addressed, but I don't have the time to go through all the comments on this thread. I'm considering buying Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind from Amazon, but I want to know if the Blu ray release by GKIDS is the best version that's available. I've read some negative comments surrounding Kiki's Delivery Service and Laputa, in that both films have poor audio quality that have never been resolved by GKIDS and edited dubs that don't improve anything. Can anyone verify if Nausicaš has the same problem?
First off, Kiki's Delivery Service is the only film with audio problems. (and only on the English dub) Both Blu-rays use the 2010 edited dub by the way.

There's nothing wrong with audio for Castle in the Sky, though much like Kiki, both Blu-rays use the edited dub.

As for Nausicaš, the GKIDS Blu-ray is probably the best version of the film you can get, unless you're willing to import a Japanese release.

Aside from better subtitles, fixed JP credits, and more/different extras, the main difference between the 2011 Disney BD and the 2017 GKIDS BD is the colour transfer.

The only thing you'd really be missing from the Disney edition is "The Birth Story of Studio Ghibli" featurette, which to be fair, was only on the DVD copy included with the Disney BD.

If you want more info on how the Disney and GKIDS Blu-rays compare to each other, please read this chart.
>>https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=3039<<

Hope that helps.
Thanks given by:
BuraddoRun (10-06-2019), januschi (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #1282

Oct 2019

Awesome! That's really helpful and thorough. The colors from the Disney Blu ray look pale and fuzzy in comparison. I really like the picture quality by GKIDS. I'm sold.
Thanks given by:
gwfb5 (10-06-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #1283
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

I have both editions of Nausicaa, and the GKIDS edition is far and away superior. Cracking it open and watching it was almost like watching the film for the first time given how much the colors improved. I was enthralled by the improvement, and that's not an exaggeration.
Thanks given by:
BuraddoRun (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #1284

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by januschi View Post
Awesome! That's really helpful and thorough. The colors from the Disney Blu ray look pale and fuzzy in comparison. I really like the picture quality by GKIDS. I'm sold.
Also, as gwb5 has said, no need to worry about the audio quality on Castle in the Sky. The Disney dub sounds fine on there, no filtered audio there. I don't know what went wrong with Kiki, though. It's the reason I've held onto the Disney DVD. The nice thing about the GKIDS Castle BD is that you can hear the Disney dub with the rescore or with the original score. Best of both worlds. I'm not thrilled with some lines that are cut, but at least the music options are commendable.
Thanks given by:
gwfb5 (10-08-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #1285
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Marietta, GA

Did anyone else notice a windowboxed shot in Castle in the Sky? It lasts just a few seconds, from 1:13:31-1:13:35.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #1286
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Freeling View Post
Did anyone else notice a windowboxed shot in Castle in the Sky? It lasts just a few seconds, from 1:13:31-1:13:35.
Was this on the Disney or GKIDS Blu-ray?
Old 10-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #1287
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Marietta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwfb5 View Post
Was this on the Disney or GKIDS Blu-ray?
GKIDS. I've never owned the Disney Blu-ray.
EDIT: This should provide a decent illustration.

As seen here, it is normal just before Sheeta gets up and the windowbox comes directly after in the next shot as she's about to go out to meet Pazu.

Last edited by Steve Freeling; 10-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #1288
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Canada

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

As seen here, it is normal just before Sheeta gets up and the windowbox comes directly after in the next shot as she's about to go out to meet Pazu.
That is strange.

I own both the Disney and GKIDS Blu-rays, so when I have the time I might see if it happens on both.

I will say that I've only watch my Disney edition so far, and I don't remember noticing a randomly "windowboxed" shot like that.
Though it's not like I was looking for stuff like that.

I did however notice some shots on the Disney BD that kind of "wobble" for lack of a word, but I've heard that the GKIDS BD has a similar issue, so it may be inherent to the film itself.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:50 AM   #1289
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Marietta, GA

Quote:
That is strange.

I own both the Disney and GKIDS Blu-rays, so when I have the time I might see if it happens on both.

I will say that I've only watch my Disney edition so far, and I don't remember noticing a randomly "windowboxed" shot like that.
Though it's not like I was looking for stuff like that.

I did however notice some shots on the Disney BD that kind of "wobble" for lack of a word, but I've heard that the GKIDS BD has a similar issue, so it may be inherent to the film itself.
And it is pretty random as well since the framing immediately returns to normal in the next shot when we see her come out of Dola's room.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #1290
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
What time does this happen? I can check mine but I'm not familiar enough with it to know where to look for it lol

Quote:
That's how all Ghibli movies are, it's a choice they made, I want to say to make it seem more realistic since it's not "perfect" or something.

This isn't about GKIDS... but it looks like Ghibli movies are finally going to be streaming. HBO Max (still a terrible name for something that's not just HBO) has acquired US streaming rights. It only mentions 8 by name but says "many more" so I'd imagine they'll probably have all of them except The Wind Rises. Will be interesting to see if they get fixed Kiki audio or not. If not, people will surely let them know it's messed up lol

https://www.thewrap.com/hbo-max-acqu...-ghibli-films/

Last edited by kevin87; 10-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #1291
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Marietta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
What time does this happen? I can check mine but I'm not familiar enough with it to know where to look for it lol

That's how all Ghibli movies are, it's a choice they made, I want to say to make it seem more realistic since it's not "perfect" or something.

This isn't about GKIDS... but it looks like Ghibli movies are finally going to be streaming. HBO Max (still a terrible name for something that's not just HBO) has acquired US streaming rights. It only mentions 8 by name but says "many more" so I'd imagine they'll probably have all of them except The Wind Rises. Will be interesting to see if they get fixed Kiki audio or not. If not, people will surely let them know it's messed up lol

https://www.thewrap.com/hbo-max-acqu...-ghibli-films/
From 1:13:31-1:13:35. Also, what happened to the strict no-streaming policy we kept hearing so much about?
Old 10-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #1292
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
U.S.A.

Quote:
Also, what happened to the strict no-streaming policy we kept hearing so much about?
I'm guessing that they needed the money.

Personally I'm hoping these titles extend their streaming support to the MoviesAnywhere platform, but I won't hold my breath. It'd be nice to have more convenient access to Kiki, Totoro, Howl, and others on a regular basis.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:36 AM   #1293
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
From 1:13:31-1:13:35. Also, what happened to the strict no-streaming policy we kept hearing so much about?
Yeah mine had it too, and so does the Disney BD. Maybe they had some trouble elements in those frames and just cropped them out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taikero View Post
I'm guessing that they needed the money.

Personally I'm hoping these titles extend their streaming support to the MoviesAnywhere platform, but I won't hold my breath. It'd be nice to have more convenient access to Kiki, Totoro, Howl, and others on a regular basis.
Since Studio Ghibli isn't a WB company, even if I didn't have all of the Ghibli titles on BD (minus Ocean Waves which personally I'd only ever watch once unless it was dubbed) I wouldn't rely on HBO Max to have them forever. I'm surprised they're even getting licenses to stuff they don't own, it could go away whenever the owner wishes.

We should be lucky we even got these on DVD and BD, I read something about how Miyazaki didn't like streaming and basically thought movies should only be seen in theaters lol
Old 10-25-2019, 03:14 AM   #1294
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Marietta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Yeah mine had it too, and so does the Disney BD. Maybe they had some trouble elements in those frames and just cropped them out?
I'm not exactly sure. I've noticed the same thing with other classic anime like Akira where the last few minutes are window boxed and in a slightly different aspect ratio from the rest of the movie and, in that case this trait dates back to the 2001 special edition DVD from Pioneer at the very least.

Last edited by Steve Freeling; 10-25-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors