Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
21 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Universal Soldier 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Frozen 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #741

Oct 2019

I'm looking at getting this blu ray player factored by its blutooth function. Has anybody paired headphones with it at all? My living situation means I can't have an awfully loud setup.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #742

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo29 View Post
I had the original 800 and picked up the M2 a couple of months ago. I had played all sorts of things over the first 7 weeks and never had a freeze but in the past few days I have had 3. One on a 4k disc and two on standard Blu-rays. I am extremely frustrated that this issue is still happening with the new model.

I really want to love this player as I have a lot of SACD and DVD-Audio discs and the 800s play them all but when it locks up in the middle of a movie I want to throw it down the stairs. Sony really needs to do better, especially for the money.

This thing is a 4k/Blu-ray player first and foremost and that is what it has the hardest time doing.

So my advice is this: If you don't need a universal player and just want a quality UHD/BLu-ray player, buy something else.

I had just posted this today on the X800 forum, but since you mentioned your problem, here is my summary slightly edited:

I purchased two of these X800 units. The first was purchased in April of last year and the second in October on clearance with a lower serial number than the first. The second unit has never given me any problems and is used with a Vizio tv. The first one exhibits some freezing behaviors and is used with a Sony XBR. The green light will be on sometimes by itself but when checking the tv, there is nothing on the screen and only unplugging the unit for a minute or so and then plugging it back in will it come back up. However, it usually loses all of the settings such as your network settings, Quickstart on/off etc. so you end up going back and fixing all of that. It then usually worked fine for around two months or so and it would do it again. So back it went to BB for an exchange as I had an extended warranty. It did not have a problem with freezing while playing discs and since I don't stream much, I can't comment on that part.

These are great units overall but some part is obviously lacking. As many of you have done, I tried changing the Quickstart mode, changed cables, turned off Bluetooth etc. but none of that made any difference with the first unit. I even left it off the network after the last two times to see if that would make a difference as I don't stream much at all so it wouldn't matter but that didn't help either. All updates were current as well as firmware like my second unit which has never frozen nor comes on by itself and appears "dead." I hope my new Sony UPB-X800M2 which replaces the first X800 will be an improvement.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #743

Dec 2017

I have been using this player for a few months now.

I have a strange issue when I play .m2ts files over the network. Note: These are full blu-rays and not remuxes. The movies contain HDR.
The last example was Skyfall yesterday. In a lot of scenes I see terrible banding issues, and some flickering.
I have seen this in more movies (all m2ts), but NEVER with actual 4K discs.

My settings seem to be correct. I tried some tweaking but I cannot find the issue.
Again: Discs play fine as they should be with excellent colours and no banding or flickering.

What can I do? I went through all the settings on the player but I can't fix the issue...
Old 10-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #744

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanmander View Post
I'm looking at getting this blu ray player factored by its blutooth function. Has anybody paired headphones with it at all? My living situation means I can't have an awfully loud setup.
It works fine with BT headphones.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #745

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperErik View Post
I have been using this player for a few months now.

I have a strange issue when I play .m2ts files over the network. Note: These are full blu-rays and not remuxes. The movies contain HDR.
The last example was Skyfall yesterday. In a lot of scenes I see terrible banding issues, and some flickering.
I have seen this in more movies (all m2ts), but NEVER with actual 4K discs.

My settings seem to be correct. I tried some tweaking but I cannot find the issue.
Again: Discs play fine as they should be with excellent colours and no banding or flickering.

What can I do? I went through all the settings on the player but I can't fix the issue...
And 'fixed'...

It appears my receiver (Denon 2500H) messes with the signal. Even though HDMI is set to passthrough without any meddling.
I have connected HDMI one from the player directly to the tv, and HDMI 2 to the receiver for audio. Perfect picture now!
Old 11-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #746
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Here is the latest review from High Def Digest. It sounds like Sony is not planning on fixing the bug or bad feature that requires manual turning on or off Dolby Vision HDR instead of automatic detection. That is the bad feature on the Sony. Also no HDR10+ firmware update is offered and most likely is not planned.

"Unfortunately, however, things get much trickier when it comes to Dolby Vision. As previously detailed in our review of the UBP-X1100ES, Sony's players have a rather irritating limitation that does not allow them to automatically detect Dolby Vision discs in order to automatically turn the feature On or Off. Instead, users have to manually turn Dolby Vision output on in the Video Settings menu before launching a Dolby Vision disc, and then manually turn it off when launching an HDR10 or SDR disc. If the Dolby Vision setting is always left on, the player converts all discs to Dolby Vision creating an inaccurate picture for HDR10 and SDR content."

"Sadly, it doesn't seem like this issue is a top priority for the company, which is a shame, since it's one of the player's only notable drawbacks."

https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/790...rayplayer.html
Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #747
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to EManT2200

Just got my UBP-X800M2 a few weeks ago. I think it puts out a beautiful picture. My 4K Samsung television doesn't do DV, it is HDR10, but, not +, so, no problem here at all. Even if it was capable of those modes, it doesn't bother me at all to take a few seconds to go in and switch back and forth between settings. I am simply not that lazy. I am very, very happy with the 800M2, got mine brand new in the box for $200.00, sold the movies for $20.00, so a total of $180.00. I am sure that there are lot's of people with 4K sets that do not do either dv or HDR10+, so for those, manual switching doesn't even matter, get the UBP-X800M2 if that is your choice, I think you will love it.

Last edited by EManT2200; 11-02-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #748
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
Just got my UBP-X800M2 a few weeks ago. I think it puts out a beautiful picture. My 4K Samsung television doesn't do DV, it is HDR10, but, not +, so, no problem here at all. Even if it was capable of those modes, it doesn't bother me at all to take a few seconds to go in and switch back and forth between settings. I am simply not that lazy. I am very, very happy with the 800M2, got mine brand new in the box for $200.00, sold the movies for $20.00, so a total of $180.00. I am sure that there are lot's of people with 4K sets that do not do either dv or HDR10+, so for those, manual switching doesn't even matter, get the UBP-X800M2 if that is your choice, I think you will love it.
The big advantage of the Sony is the SACD and DVD Audio support and the super low price of $300. The Pioneer with the SACD and DVD-AUDIO support lists for $1,100 (It is a better player then the Sony but it also cost almost 4 times more).

If Sony were to offer a automatic Dolby Vision HDR detection feature with a firmware update it would be a popular feature with Videophiles.

Back in late 2017 I purchased a couple of Sony UBP-X800's without the Dolby Vision feature as Christmas gifts for a couple of family members. Sony makes great players for the price. Those two Sony's are connected to 1080P 2008 Pioneer Elite plasma screens and the HDR feature is not being used at all.
Thanks given by:
EManT2200 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 02:34 AM   #749
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Black Friday is coming up; how much will the X800M2 cost...$139 ($129-149)?
It's pretty hard to beat that today for a Universal 4K BR player.
Nothing can even approach it, zero.
_____

Happy Day of the Dead!

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 11-03-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #750

Aug 2007
Boston, MA

I ordered a refurbished UBP-X800M2 from Amazon (Secondipity) and received the UBP-X800 instead.
I paid $167.24 total.

They are offering me a partial refund of $50 if I want to keep it instead of returning it.

Not sure what I should do...is it worth keeping?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #751
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post
I ordered a refurbished UBP-X800M2 from Amazon (Secondipity) and received the UBP-X800 instead.
I paid $167.24 total.

They are offering me a partial refund of $50 if I want to keep it instead of returning it.

Not sure what I should do...is it worth keeping?
I'd say that mostly comes down to how important Dolby Vision is to you.
Thanks given by:
afr52 (11-09-2019), dragion (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:24 AM   #752

Aug 2007
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
I'd say that mostly comes down to how important Dolby Vision is to you.
I already own the UBP-X800M2, but wanted another one to replace my OPPO BDP-93 for my plasma which is 1080p HD/3D.
Using it to convert 4K to HD SDR.
So DV isn't a priority...just future proofing when I do need it.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #753
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post
I already own the UBP-X800M2, but wanted another one to replace my OPPO BDP-93 for my plasma which is 1080p HD/3D.
Using it to convert 4K to HD SDR.
So DV isn't a priority...just future proofing when I do need it.
Well then, in that case, if you've already got an X800M2 and that's the second players' main purpose, I would personally keep the X800. Your plasma may have a few years in it still, and by the time you replace it with a new TV, perhaps you'll be on the hunt for yet another player anyway?

Also, I think it's time you update your signature!
Thanks given by:
dragion (11-05-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #754

Aug 2007
Boston, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
Well then, in that case, if you've already got an X800M2 and that's the second players' main purpose, I would personally keep the X800. Your plasma may have a few years in it still, and by the time you replace it with a new TV, perhaps you'll be on the hunt for yet another player anyway?

Also, I think it's time you update your signature!
Done!
Keeping the X800 and received the $50 as a partial refund.
I guess $113 is too bad of a deal.

Thanks!
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (11-06-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #755
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

In your particular case it's an excellent decision.
Thanks given by:
dragion (11-08-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology