Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$79.96
17 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.34
14 hrs ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Bad Boys for Life 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Wonder Woman 1984 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rad (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:05 AM   #1

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx
Default Please help me understand amplifification

I am getting a Yamaha Rx-880 to power my 5.1 system. I have Paradigm speakers, Monitor 7 series in the front and center, cinema series for the rear. I used to have an Anthem mrx receiver, which seemed to power them well at reference level. In another thread I was encouraged to get the 880 because it has pre-outs. I understand that although I am supposed to get 100 watts per channel with the Yamaha, I might only get 30 because it is processing too much information. So having a power amp for the fronts and center will have them perform at reference level the way they were intended to sound. (how much wattage do they actually need for reference sound?)
After my Yamaha purchase I dont have a ton of money in the budget, but I saw an Emotiva BasX A-500 Five Channel Power Amplifier at a decent price.
Question, if I don't power all 5 channels with the Emotiva Power Amp, as the rears can probably be powered fine through the Yamaha, will then more power go to the 3 channels I use? Also, since the front and center will be powered by an external amp, does that mean the rears will get more power from the Yamaha?
Am I making sense. I am new to this, as I used to just have my MRX do all the work just fine.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:29 AM   #2

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

Also, what is the point of having a mid level or high end receiver if you are using an external amp to power your speakers? Couldnt one get an affordable receiver with preouts and just have it for processing DTS, Dolby Digital, Atmos, etc?
Old 08-16-2020, 05:53 AM   #3

Jul 2012
Kawartha Lakes,Ontario Canada

Your new AVR will do everything that needs to be done with your speakers without adding any other amplification.You are over thinking it.I have Paradigm surround speakers with a set of Sony Atmos speakers run by an Onkyo but on Monday I will have an Anthem MRX 720.I have Studio 20 Paradigm.Your amps work at their optimum after you run the room correction or whatever they call it on your AVR.The AVR adjusts the amp levels for each speaker set,the Atmos don't need the same amp levels as the fronts.Just use the mic to calibrate the speakers.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by amper View Post
Also, what is the point of having a mid level or high end receiver if you are using an external amp to power your speakers? Couldnt one get an affordable receiver with preouts and just have it for processing DTS, Dolby Digital, Atmos, etc?
Many AVRs have processing for 11+ channels but lack the amplification for all speakers. Itís typical to see them max out at 9. So you have to get another 2 channel amp to power the additional speakers.

The reply above mine is correct. Most will never need more power than with an AVR.

It comes down to preferred volume level. Some speakers can start clipping at reference levels, especially in large rooms, and the solution is for more powerful external amplification. In my personal experience going to separates, the sound is more detailed at lower volumes, and more dynamic with peaks thanks to the extra headroom.
You will get more dramatic results properly dialing in the Yamaha YPAO room correction system.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #5

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

Yeah, i plan on running the ypao. But im coming from a 2000 dollar receiver where it sounded perfect at reference level, that's how i watch movies. Im worried my yamaha 880 wont match the perfect sound at reference level and may have the speakers benefit from an external amp that can give all the power and balance the speakers need to sound perfect at reference level.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
A higher end receiver should in most cases have a better processor chipset, D/A converter, power supply, etc.....which will have it sound better used as a pre-amp vs a lower end receiver that also has pre out capabilities.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #7
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
I am getting a Yamaha Rx-880 to power my 5.1 system. I have Paradigm speakers, Monitor 7 series in the front and center, cinema series for the rear. I used to have an Anthem mrx receiver, which seemed to power them well at reference level. In another thread I was encouraged to get the 880 because it has pre-outs. I understand that although I am supposed to get 100 watts per channel with the Yamaha, I might only get 30 because it is processing too much information. So having a power amp for the fronts and center will have them perform at reference level the way they were intended to sound. (how much wattage do they actually need for reference sound?)
After my Yamaha purchase I dont have a ton of money in the budget, but I saw an Emotiva BasX A-500 Five Channel Power Amplifier at a decent price.
Question, if I don't power all 5 channels with the Emotiva Power Amp, as the rears can probably be powered fine through the Yamaha, will then more power go to the 3 channels I use? Also, since the front and center will be powered by an external amp, does that mean the rears will get more power from the Yamaha?
Am I making sense. I am new to this, as I used to just have my MRX do all the work just fine.
Adding the Emotiva into the equation would help a bit, but donít expect a lot from the amp as the power drops down to 80 watts per channel with all channels driven. If you run 3 off it, you will probably be losing a bit off of its 110 watts rating, as that is with two channels driven. You certainly will not go up in power.

If you are only using two channels of the Yamaha, you should still be okay there with not losing a bunch of its power.

I donít believe it would be night and day difference going this route, but still a step in the right direction. If it is a lot of power you are looking for, the used amp market might be something to consider as they can have a pretty decent lifespan and do not generally become outdated. You can find some seriously good deals if you are willing to do some hunting around.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #8

Jun 2010
Austin, Tx

Yeah. I ended up getting a used outlaw 5000.
Thanks given by:
gotmule (08-16-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems