Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jiang Ziya (Blu-ray)
$14.96
14 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Hammer Films: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Ultraman Taro: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.99
1 day ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$5.99
10 hrs ago
Wrong Turn (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #161
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Well here is the rear panel of my ADC SS-525SX with it I could equalize two sources and have them play through a receiver or AVR that doesn't have either a set of pre/out, main/in or a tape monitor loops

And what kind of cables/dust caps are we using?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #162
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #163
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Well here is the rear panel of my ADC SS-525SX with it I could equalize two sources and have them play through a receiver or AVR that doesn't have either a set of pre/out, main/in or a tape monitor loops

Wait a minute -- are you saying that if I got my hands on an EQ with the kinds of connections yours boasts, I WOULD be able to connect one to my receiver?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #164
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
And what kind of cables/dust caps are we using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Back at that popcorn I see .........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Wait a minute -- are you saying that if I got my hands on an EQ with the kinds of connections yours boasts, I WOULD be able to connect one to my receiver?
Yes ........................ You will be able to connect two sources to the equalizer then connect it to your receiver using the main out jack
Old 03-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #165
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Yes ........................ You will be able to connect two sources to the equalizer then connect it to your receiver using the main out jack
Oh, so only TWO sources would be able to be equalized...not EVERY source connected to the receiver?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #166
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Two is better than one. I hope that you can make this work for your set up. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #167
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Oh, so only TWO sources would be able to be equalized...not EVERY source connected to the receiver?
Only the two sources connected to the equalizer ........

Your receiver does not have the circuitry or layout to do it any other way. Without a tape monitor loop or pre out/main in loop, there's no other way to implement an eq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Two is better than one. I hope that you can make this work for your set up. Good luck.
That's what I'm saying
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #168
Banned

May 2016

Damn fellas...this isn't good news...

I really wanted EVERY source to be EQ'ed, including the built-in tuner; guess I'll stick to listening to tunes "as is" with bass and treble controls at their midway positions (thus hearing the music as "naturally" as possible).
Old 03-17-2017, 01:45 AM   #169
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Only

Your receiver does not have the circuitry or layout to do it any other way. Without a tape monitor loop or pre out/main in loop, there's no other way to implement an eq.
It's always bugged me that modern A/V receivers don't have tape loops. Although I realize that the original intention of a tape loop was to monitor the playback head on a 3-head analog deck, I still find the tape loop useful just to confirm what the external device (like a standalone CD-R recorder) sounds like and that it's working properly. It's also easier to select that device because tape loops are usually on push buttons or small rocker switches rather than the big knob that may select other sources in between.

My old Apt-Holman preamp has two tape loops AND an EQ loop. I love that.
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 AM   #170
Banned

May 2016

I agree, Zoet; what's even more unfortunate is that most STEREO devices don't offer this connection anymore, which is especially frustrating because many of us still want to connect devices like equalizers...
Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #171
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Damn fellas...this isn't good news...

I really wanted EVERY source to be EQ'ed, including the built-in tuner; guess I'll stick to listening to tunes "as is" with bass and treble controls at their midway positions (thus hearing the music as "naturally" as possible).
The only other option then is an AVR upgrade .............. And I don't know many that include Pre-out / main -in jacks like those found on my Harman/Kardon AVR520 ..................... (seen on the left)

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
It's always bugged me that modern A/V receivers don't have tape loops. Although I realize that the original intention of a tape loop was to monitor the playback head on a 3-head analog deck, I still find the tape loop useful just to confirm what the external device (like a standalone CD-R recorder) sounds like and that it's working properly. It's also easier to select that device because tape loops are usually on push buttons or small rocker switches rather than the big knob that may select other sources in between.
There may be a few flagship models that still sport them ..... but they're flagships ........

Quote:
My old Apt-Holman preamp has two tape loops AND an EQ loop. I love that.
As does my acurus RL-11 and two Marantz console amps.

Quote:
I agree, Zoet; what's even more unfortunate is that most STEREO devices don't offer this connection anymore, which is especially frustrating because many of us still want to connect devices like equalizers...
That's one of the problems with a world gone digital

Last edited by DangeRuss; 03-17-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #172
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
The only other option then is an AVR upgrade .............. And I don't know many that include Pre-out / main -in jacks like those found on my Harman/Kardon AVR520 ..................... (seen on the left)
Russ,

To be clear, we're talking about two-channel stereo receivers, not AVRs.

My model is a two-channel stereo unit, devoid of surround processing and all the bells and whistles that come with that. Here's what it looks like:

Quote:
There may be a few flagship models that still sport them ..... but they're flagships ........
Again, I don't believe any multichannel A/V receivers boast tape loop connections -- even in flagship form -- as this was mainly a two-channel feature (for hooking up tape decks to monitor or graphic EQs). Don't forget -- in surround AVRs, the equalizing is handled (if applied) by software schemes that analyze the soundfield, a la Audyssey, and that's not the exact same thing as equalizing for two channels.

Quote:
That's one of the problems with a world gone digital
It's not really a "world gone digital" thing; indeed, there are some two-channel products out there that boast digital inputs and other modern-centric features (though my Onkyo isn't one of them).
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #173
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex

Quote:
With Albums making a huge comeback : you would think that they would allow this feature to come back. One of my problems with the digital technology . There are a lot of us using Albums and yes, Reel/Reel tape decks : and for the majority of us, two-channel music is meant to be heard without the digital processing involved in AVRs,etc.. such as the Pure/Direct option. Oh well maybe this feature one day will make a come back which would really be cool , which then stereo companies can start making a new line of equalizers and AVRs, etc., to sell to those who want that. It's a win win situation for marketing and the consumer Just mt two cents.

Last edited by Dwayne; 03-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (03-24-2017), IntelliVolume (03-21-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #174
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
With Albums making a huge comeback : you would think that they would allow this feature to come back. One of my problems with the digital technology . There are a lot of us using Albums and yes, Reel/Reel tape decks : and for the majority of us, two-channel music is meant to be heard without the digital processing involved in AVRs,etc.. such as the Pure/Direct option. Oh well maybe this feature one day will make a come back which would really be cool , which then stereo companies can start making a new line of equalizers and AVRs, etc., to sell to those who want that. It's a win win situation for marketing and the consumer Just mt two cents.
Yet all is not lost ...........................

The most simple approach would be to get into what this thread is all about. And that is getting a vintage front end that could handle all of your analog needs now ...............
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-24-2017), prerich (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #175

Dec 2007

There is another way to do this....but you would need to use separates to do so. Get a good preamp, and a good power amp, and place a vintage DBX 400x route selector between the two...you can have up to three different processors (I used to have an Yamaha EQ-550U EQ, dynamic range expander 3BX, and a c-9 carver sonic hologram).

Or you can look for a DBX CX-3 that has a processor loop as well as two tape monitor loops as well. You'd still need a power amp too.
Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-28-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #176
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
There is another way to do this....but you would need to use separates to do so. Get a good preamp, and a good power amp, and place a vintage DBX 400x route selector between the two...you can have up to three different processors (I used to have an Yamaha EQ-550U EQ, dynamic range expander 3BX, and a c-9 carver sonic hologram).

Or you can look for a DBX CX-3 that has a processor loop as well as two tape monitor loops as well. You'd still need a power amp too.
Go ahead and complicate matters for our friend, why don't you

Thanks given by:
Dwayne (03-28-2017), prerich (10-25-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems