Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Short Circuit 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Rita Hayworth: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
7 hrs ago
The Golden Child (Blu-ray)
$16.99
17 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Runaway Train (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99

Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$8.99
18 hrs ago
Kuffs (Blu-ray)
$16.69
12 hrs ago
Krull (Blu-ray)
$5.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #21
Special Member

Nov 2008
Edmonton, AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I love to own a pair of these 800 watt (8 ohms), 220-pound monoblock amplifiers from Edge. It definitely has WAF appeal.

Seriously, WTF?!? look like as Christmas Tree.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

I added many links for amplifier reviews to the Original Post. I also found a few more companies that make amplifiers. One of them was Nightingale from Italy. They make beautiful tube amplifiers. Even the name is serene.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 AM   #23

Sep 2008
Near middle earth

One of New Zealands finest...

http://www.perreaux.com/home/
Old 01-17-2009, 04:03 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTCraig View Post
One of New Zealands finest...

http://www.perreaux.com/home/
I added Perreaux to the list. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #25

Mar 2008
Colorado

don't forget my baby, the Earthquake cinenova grande 7...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/powera...905earthquake/

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cng_7.htm
Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbeef View Post
I added Earthquake Sound to the list. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 AM   #27

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
I added Earthquake Sound to the list. Thank you.
Can I take the componant's out of my psw-125 to put in new BOX !!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Can I take the componant's out of my psw-125 to put in new BOX !!
Yes, you can.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #29

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Yes, you can.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Adding my favorite manufacturer to the list.
VAC
www.vac-amps.com
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
Adding my favorite manufacturer to the list.
VAC
www.vac-amps.com
Vac was already there.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #32
Blu-ray King

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES OF RECEIVERS VS SEPARATE AMPLIFIERS

Advantages of Receivers
A receiver consists of three or four components: preamp/processor (all the switching and processing are done there), Tuner (AM/FM), and an Amplifier.
Receivers are convenient.
Receivers are affordable.
Receivers take less space

Disadvantages of Receivers
In a receiver, the three components above share the same power supply, circuits, etc.
Many compromises in the design of receivers.
Receivers have less power than amplifiers (less than 170 watts).
Receivers may not be able to drive high quality, large, and inefficient speakers.
Most receivers may have difficulty driving 4 ohm speakers.
Audio quality is not as good as separates.
They have less headroom and may clip faster.
May generate too much heat.

Advantages of Amplifiers
Amplifiers have their own higher-quality power supply.
Some high-end amplifiers have a different power supply for each channel.
Amps do not share their parts with any other components.
Generally speaking, amplifiers have more wattage. Some can handle 500 watts or more.
They have a lot more headroom.
They can easily drive 4 ohm speakers.
Audio quality is much better.
Can mix and match with speakers and other components.
You can brag more.

Disadvantage of Amplifiers
They are less convenient.
You normally need three components to do the job of one receiver.
They can take more space.
They are more expensive.
Your electric bill may run higher.
Setup can be more complex.

I use my Denon receiver as a Pre/Pro. I only use the pre-amp portion and the built-in audio codecs of the receiver. I use separate amplifiers to drive all my speakers. Even my subwoofers are passive and are driven by separate amplifiers. The speakers have different impedances. The amplifiers handle them with ease and can play very loud without clipping.

I have done some testing with the receiver versus amplifier. The audio quality of the amplifiers is significantly better.
Very interesting.

A few questions...
1. What size, and price, of speakers justifies buying seperates?
2. Should Blu-ray users seek out seperates, since decoding is usually done onboard Blu-ray players?
3. How much is the minimum one could expect to spend on a system of seperates that would be better than A/V reciever like Onkyo 706 or Marantz SR6003, etc?

Last edited by Travis; 03-01-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 AM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Very interesting.

A few questions...
1. What size, and price, of speakers justifies buying seperates?
2. Should Blu-ray users seek out seperates, since decoding is usually done onboard Blu-ray players?
3. How much is the minimum one could expect to spend on a system of seperates that would be better than A/V reciever like Onkyo 706 or Marantz SR6003, etc?
These are three very difficult questions to answer. The answers are very subjective and depend on the person's taste, hearing, and budget.
  1. Speaker quality is a very subjective matter. As a general rule, the better the speakers, the more separates will enhance your audio experience. If you want a cutoff price, my guess would be over $1,000.
  2. Yes, with blu-ray HD audio, separates will benefit you more.
  3. This is another subjective answer. If you are on a tight budget, Emotiva is your best bet. If money is no object, there are amplifiers that have 5 or 6 figure prices. On the average, almost all quality pre/pro and amp combinations will outperform the vast majority of receivers. In addition, many high-end speakers have low impedance and require separates.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 AM   #34
Blu-ray King

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Thanks for the info,

Looks like $2,000+ to start an upgrade with seperates, saw some interesting budget stuff Marantz 8003, and Onkyo PR-SC885. This might be what I am intersted in, Onkyo should be paired with what amp? Don't want to be picky, but if I buy seperates I'd like them to match, same brand and series.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #35
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks for the info,

Looks like $2,000+ to start an upgrade with seperates, saw some interesting budget stuff Marantz 8003, and Onkyo PR-SC885. This might be what I am intersted in, Onkyo should be paired with what amp? Don't want to be picky, but if I buy seperates I'd like them to match, same brand and series.

While staying within certain brands is a good thing with some manufacturer's it isn't necessary most of the time. A good amp doesn't expire and will last basically forever. Amp technology doesn't change rapidly like it does with pre/pro's or receivers and that is also why getting into separates can be a great idea. Keep the amps and upgrade the pre/pro as technology advances. With receivers it's kind of like throwing out the kitchen sink with the water, and that's not the case with separate components.

Buying a good amp can really pay off as well and really be great for the owner. Take for example Bryston and the fact their amps, not sure if it's all models but anyhow, they come with a twenty year warranty. Very nice to have that kind of service and protection and I also think that warranty is transferable to the next owner if you sell it or buy a used one from somebody !!!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #36
Blu-ray King

Nov 2008
On the sofa
Default What is a good amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdabb View Post
While staying within certain brands is a good thing with some manufacturer's it isn't necessary most of the time. A good amp doesn't expire and will last basically forever. Amp technology doesn't change rapidly like it does with pre/pro's or receivers and that is also why getting into separates can be a great idea. Keep the amps and upgrade the pre/pro as technology advances. With receivers it's kind of like throwing out the kitchen sink with the water, and that's not the case with separate components.

Buying a good amp can really pay off as well and really be great for the owner. Take for example Bryston and the fact their amps, not sure if it's all models but anyhow, they come with a twenty year warranty. Very nice to have that kind of service and protection and I also think that warranty is transferable to the next owner if you sell it or buy a used one from somebody !!!
Thanks for the reply, I know what you are saying about an amp lasting for years, my friend (into 2ch hi-fi not surround)has had a tube since he middleages, he just replaces the tubes every decade or so.

The ony thing driving my speakers is a MarantzSR5200 intergrated a/v reciever. I am interested in moving into seperates, buying new speakers, new cables, new TV, etc slowly over the next year or 2.

Tough question. What is a good amp?
I hope to have a $3,000 TV, some midrange B&W speakers,(have had old 600 series 3 setup for almost 10 years, loved it, still lke it, but want more), also interested in a Spendor setup, maybe too pricey. $1,000 or so for a pair of fronts would be a start, I guess.

Would a grand a piece be a good place to start with seperates? What amp would be a good start? I'd love to have one I could keep for 40 years and still love it on my 75th birthday.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #37
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I know what you are saying about an amp lasting for years, my friend (into 2ch hi-fi not surround)has had a tube since he middleages, he just replaces the tubes every decade or so.

The ony thing driving my speakers is a MarantzSR5200 intergrated a/v reciever. I am interested in moving into seperates, buying new speakers, new cables, new TV, etc slowly over the next year or 2.

Tough question. What is a good amp?
I hope to have a $3,000 TV, some midrange B&W speakers,(have had old 600 series 3 setup for almost 10 years, loved it, still lke it, but want more), also interested in a Spendor setup, maybe too pricey. $1,000 or so for a pair of fronts would be a start, I guess.

Would a grand a piece be a good place to start with seperates? What amp would be a good start? I'd love to have one I could keep for 40 years and still love it on my 75th birthday.
Best thing to do is start a new thread and get all the input you can and compare, but I would choose some nice speakers "you like" first and then build a quality system to compliment them and to make them perform their best. Taking it slow to put together a proper setup is a good thing !!!

Anyhow I'm sure most people would agree, choose the speakers first and then work from there. As far as quality amplifiers go there are many, many quality amps to chose from, but a lot is dependant on the speakers you choose.

Also when it comes time to look into pre/pro's, you may find a receiver that will do the job as long as it has pre-amp outputs. That way you can maximize your amplifier choices and decide on whether or not you would like to put more money into a mono-block, two, three, five or seven channel amp(s). Also by using a receiver as a pre/pro you can power your surround channels with it and then focus on a quality two channel or mono-block amp(s). Good thing to do if music is a passion.

Time to start a thread !!!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #38
Blu-ray King

Nov 2008
On the sofa

mdabb,

Thanks for the ideas. I have the info I need to start my research on speakers and amps. I like the idea of using a reciever as a pre/pro and buying a amp. Maybe ther road I'll take.

Have started a new thread on AVR with pre/pro outs.

edit:
Read a good review http://hometheatermag.com/preampprocessors/1008rotel/

I'm sure old news for many,
"the Rotel processor cannot decode them internally. But fear not—as long as your player can decode those formats to linear, uncompressed PCM, the Rotel’s HDMI 1.1 input accepts and processes them. Onboard decoding of high-definition audio formats isn’t critical or less desirable than in-player decoding, so Rotel’s approach is just fine in my book. "

This may belong on the Have an old school receiver (non-HDMI) and want Lossless audio?? thread, but there are over 300 posts there and it might be there already.

It's good to know, I'm sure many bought, or plan to buy, a new AVR or Pre/pro processor because blu-ray has new HD sound that old receivers don't process .

Last edited by Travis; 03-08-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #39

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Did not know where to post this & did not feel it to be necessary to start A new thread !
Big Daddy ~ Question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOULD I SEE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IF I ~~~~

Ran my front three Bostons off my UPA-7 only . 160 watts instead of 125 watts !
Ran my lower surr. off the UPA-2 & upper surr. off the receiver !!
Ran the rear surr.off the receiver !
What do you think ~ Thoughts & opinion please .....
Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Did not know where to post this & did not feel it to be necessary to start A new thread !
Big Daddy ~ Question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOULD I SEE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IF I ~~~~

Ran my front three Bostons off my UPA-7 only . 160 watts instead of 125 watts !
Ran my lower surr. off the UPA-2 & upper surr. off the receiver !!
Ran the rear surr.off the receiver !
What do you think ~ Thoughts & opinion please .....
How do you have your speakers powered right now?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems