Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$129.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Green Hornet 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Smurfs 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.79

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Pat Metheny: The Orchestrion Project (Blu-ray)
$17.70
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 02:21 AM   #1

Apr 2016
Virginia, US
Question Theaters are open again, but is there 3D?

I recently checked the local theater offerings in my area (Denver, CO, US). I am pretty sure there are no 3D showings. There are a few movies playing that could be shown in 3D e.g. Wonder Woman but alas they are just showing them flat. There is also some 4D showings but apparently they skipped the 3rd dimension to get the fourth

I was curious about other parts of the US and the world. Are there 3D screenings near you?
Old 09-07-2020, 03:14 AM   #2

Jul 2007
New Zealand

Here in NZ we are waiting for Wonder Woman (opens 1st Oct) - too early out to confirm any 3-D viewings just yet.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Mulan will play in 3D when it hits China on September 11th.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Nov 2019
Monterrey, MX

Theatres opened yesterday in my city (Monterrey, Mexico) and The New Mutants has showings in IMAX and 4Dx but only 2D, Scoob is also only 2D I think it may be because glasses can spread the disease (?)
Old 09-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Theatres opened yesterday in my city (Monterrey, Mexico) and The New Mutants has showings in IMAX and 4Dx but only 2D, Scoob is also only 2D I think it may be because glasses can spread the disease (?)

New Mutants was never in 3d, scoob was never clear if it was 3D or not, there was a mention of a conversion but no evidence if it was ever finished ?
Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #6

Nov 2019
Monterrey, MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
New Mutants was never in 3d, scoob was never clear if it was 3D or not, there was a mention of a conversion but no evidence if it was ever finished ?
IMDb mentions 3D for The New Mutants, and I remember watching a 3D trailer at the theater a while ago (I may be confusing it with Dark Phoenix tho ), but trailers and posters don't mention 3D so I think you're right . Too bad Scoob isn't in 3D, I bet it would've looked awesome

Also there aren't any news about Mulan releasing in theaters or streaming here, so I'll have to wait to see if at least that one is in 3D, but Disney had very few 3D showings for the last few years, even in IMAX.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

For North American theaters:

September: None

October: Wonder Woman 1984

November: Soul

December: Dune, The Croods: A New Age

https://www.natoonline.org/data/
Old 09-11-2020, 01:30 AM   #8

Apr 2016
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
For North American theaters:

https://www.natoonline.org/data/
That is a great link! I had not heard of NATO before (not that NATO at least ). WW 84 being the next new release makes sense but I have seen some showings of the first Wonder Woman movie and Jurassic World and a few others that do have 3d versions. Like I said, none of the screenings were in 3D near me, but in those cases they could have been. I was just hoping someone was getting the 3D love out there.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #9
Expert Member

Aug 2009
England

I’ve not seen any 3D movies showing in the UK. Cinemas have been open for a few months and they’ve been showing classic movies. But, in my area at least, none of them are being screened in 3D.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:50 AM   #10

Jul 2020

In my area, theaters try to avoid 3D releases, as they are not preferred by the general public. They still try to have one "blockbuster" in 3-D at any time for the fans of the system. They have no problem showing both 3-D and 2-D showings of the same movie, but never 3-D only (at any given time slot the 2-D option is always there, the reverse is not true) and if for any reason two, three or even four major films open close to each other and all have 3-D versions, they are usually all shown (there are enough 3-D equipped screens in the area).

But you can tell they rather just show 2-D and not bother with it. Only reason they show 3-D is that they make slightly more money per person from the ticket sales from the 3-D screenings and to please the few fans of the system. But several years ago, when they "forced" 3-D shows by being the only ones available at a certain timeslot, customers would complain, refuse to go or wait for the next available 2-D show. Since then, they've made sure 2-D shows are always available at the expense of 3-D.

Since March they've been mostly closed due to Covid19 recommendations, and the only ones opened last couple of months have hardly shown any movies at all and none in 3-D.

Part of the problem is the same as always: the 3-D projection is both, not "perfect" and more expensive. 3-D projections are usually FAR darker than 2D and showcase some ghosting (no matter how little, it's certainly not 100% perfect). We won't even mention that 3-D shows are 2K only (not 4K, like 2D), and often times 10bits (not 12bits, like 2D, newer equipment can do the 12bits 3D), or not temporarily "perfect" (one eye will see a frame from a different time at least 144th of a second 24 times a second). These are usually minor issues compared to the LARGE reduction in brightness and the ghosting. For a theater to reduce those problems the solution is often both too expensive (i.e. laser illumination or Dolby 3D or even higher gain screens) and still not 100% "perfect" (compared to 2D). These technical and economic issues don't help with selling 3-D shows.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
But several years ago, when they "forced" 3-D shows by being the only ones available at a certain timeslot, customers would complain, refuse to go or wait for the next available 2-D show.
I'm SO glad I got out of the theater business before then. I couldn't face anyone who "complained" about 3D with a straight face. I saw MANY very stupid customers in my time, but that would've pushed me over the edge. (Most memorable stupid customer was one who left a movie and got his money back because the snack bar had closed an hour after the night's last show had started.)

A lot of digital presentations I've seen have been too dark, in both 2D and 3D. I haven't gone back to those theaters for any movie afterwards. You would've thought there would've been more quality control for digital 3D though, considering bad film presentation killed it the first few times. The studios shouldn't have even made any 2D versions of 3D movies available- they didn't do that in the 80s.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #12

Jul 2012

Even though Iíll be able to watch Friday the 13th Part III safely at home, Iíd still brave the pandemic and having to wear a mask to see it in 3-D on a big screen. Hell, a theater showing any classic 3-D horror movie on Halloween and Iím there.
Thanks given by:
BossTweed (09-21-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #13

Jan 2020
Columbus, OH

If you're near Columbus, OH you can see Dial M For Murder in 3D Oct 16 at the Gateway Film Center. https://gatewayfilmcenter.org/movies...urder-3d-1954/
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (10-07-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:17 PM   #14

Apr 2016
Virginia, US

With the delay of WW 84 it appears that Soul could be the big return of Theatre 3D on November 20, 2020. Of course Disney+ could end up getting that instead making the Croods first to test the waters. I guess we will find out in another month.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:34 AM   #15

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip65 View Post
If you're near Columbus, OH you can see Dial M For Murder in 3D Oct 16 at the Gateway Film Center. https://gatewayfilmcenter.org/movies...urder-3d-1954/
Iím in Denver, CO. Sounds like fun, have a good time.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #16

Nov 2019
Monterrey, MX

Trolls World Tour premiered in Mexico a few weeks ago and it doesn't have any 3D showings. Even IMAX and 4Dx showings were only 2D
Old 10-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #17
Banned

Mar 2018

The V shaped recovery we were all hoping for is ..

V for Virus, A 'virus' shaped recovery is what we got.

Theaters are going to close. My multiplex has a sign , declaring it a future Carmax sight. Begun this cold war has..

Streaming will be the life blood of the industry.

Streaming is the way.

No more 3D, unless we continue high quality conversions 3rd party. Then figure out the bandwidth to stream 3D.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #18
Special Member

Jul 2009

We can already stream 3D on Vudu.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:20 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
We can already stream 3D on Vudu.
If a significant portion of theaters close, and studios move to digital-first movie premiers like they did for Trolls and Mulan this year, I don't think they are going to spend millions of dollars to shoot movies in 3D or post-convert them to 3D just for the tiny fraction of us who still watch 3D movies at home.

Even if everything goes back to normal post-pandemic and a majority of movie theaters remain open, I don't think consumers will be too keen on the idea of using recycled 3D glasses that may or may not have been properly sanitized.

I'm certainly concerned for the future of new 3D movies.

Last edited by ryanmcv; 10-14-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion