Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Van Helsing 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
Columbia Classics Collection: Volume 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$101.63

Vigilante 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.49

War of the Worlds 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Top Gun 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.00

Scoob! 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Mad Max 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 09-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #6161

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
Would it be possible to post a screenshot of what those picture drops look like? I posted my issue here a few weeks ago and want to know if what you're experiencing is the same as my issue.
I’ll see if I can get a short video. The picture just goes black for like .5 seconds. It’s very quick but bothersome nonetheless. I don’t think I’ve watched a DV disc all the way through since recently getting the 820 so I can’t say how many times it would happen during a movie but when I just check like 1 scene it usually happens once.

EDIT: Last night I tried 2 different DV movies and played them for 10 min each and of course it didn’t happen. I’ll just have to wait until I watch a DV movie all the way through to report on how many times it does it. I wonder if it has anything to do with happening only when you first start things up. I had been watching a baseball game on the Tv for about 30 mins prior to testing it and the recent times I remember it happening I just popped in a disc to check something and then noticed the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Real head scratching though is the 1.66 existing firmware players are shipping with that the auto update link hasn't been updated for yet. I posted above how to manually do it with the firmware link. But how much effort could that be? I mean the auto update is still 1.60!
Do we know what the 1.66 firmware update fixes? I guess also the couple before that since you say we’re only on 1.60 if we’re doing online update correct?

Last edited by ibanezjp; 09-25-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:00 PM   #6162

Mar 2011

I got my UB9000 this week and I am loving it for the most part but I am having an issue when playing HDR 10 discs where when I start a UHD the screen goes does not start but if I switch inputs on my receiver and then switch back the video appears. I dont have that issue with Dolby Vision discs. I have a Denon AVR X2700h receiver and Sony Z8H tv. Any ideas why this is happening or solutions?
Old 09-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #6163
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Hello, can someone explain how to use external subtitles after the 1.66 firm update?
Old 09-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #6164
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeYankee View Post
I got my UB9000 this week and I am loving it for the most part but I am having an issue when playing HDR 10 discs where when I start a UHD the screen goes does not start but if I switch inputs on my receiver and then switch back the video appears. I dont have that issue with Dolby Vision discs. I have a Denon AVR X2700h receiver and Sony Z8H tv. Any ideas why this is happening or solutions?
Just a hunch your problem sounds like an HDMI handshake issue.
If you unplug both units power (or three is it?) and then unplug all the HDMI ends and reseat them before repluging the power.

If this doesn’t fix issue, you likely need to make sure the HDMI’s are premium certified (search Amazon for Monoprice or Blue Jeans brands for prem cert high speed). Those two brands are under $10 ea for 3 meter typically. Do not be lured by any high priced HDMI cable claims. They send 0 and 1’s. They’re not analog.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #6165

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos2992 View Post
Hello, can someone explain how to use external subtitles after the 1.66 firm update?
Sure - it isn't obvious at all! You need to create a folder on your usb drive called 'sub', rename the srt file to 'sub.srt' and put it in that folder. Then if you play the disc, hit the option button and go to subtitles, there are additional menu options including external subs.

Please note both folder and srt file need to be all lower case - 'sub' not 'Sub'.
Thanks given by:
Carlos2992 (09-26-2020), chip75 (09-26-2020), teddyballgame (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #6166

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Just a hunch your problem sounds like an HDMI handshake issue.
If you unplug both units power (or three is it?) and then unplug all the HDMI ends and reseat them before repluging the power.

If this doesn’t fix issue, you likely need to make sure the HDMI’s are premium certified (search Amazon for Monoprice or Blue Jeans brands for prem cert high speed). Those two brands are under $10 ea for 3 meter typically. Do not be lured by any high priced HDMI cable claims. They send 0 and 1’s. They’re not analog.

Good luck.
Tried unplugging the cables and seemed to solved the problem. I am using premium certified cables and I run the diagnostics for them using my Denon.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #6167

Jun 2016

I am noticing a difference between DV on my OPPO 203 and DV on the Panny 9000. The first picture is the OPPO 203. The 2nd picture is from the panny. The 3rd is from the Panny with DV turned off. The Panny is definitely more saturated with skins tones in DV compared to the OPPO 203. The colors are not as orange as the pictures show with DV, but there is a big difference. There is something really off on the 9000. When I turn off DV in the Panny, the colors look a lot closer to what the OPPO 203 does with DV. I don't think the 9000 is doing DV correctly from what I am seeing. For DV, tv is set to Warm 2, and color gamut is greyed out to Wide. For HDR10, Color gamut Normal and set to Warm 2. Just weird that 2 different UHD players are processing DV differently.

Last edited by wxman2003; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #6168
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but when I look at those images then the top two - OPPO in DV then Panny in DV - are very very similar, the skin tones are very overcooked in both.

FWIW, I see differences in brightness between the DV outputs of the OPPO and the Panasonic 820 but no differences in colour at all. I'm using the same TV settings on both. And if I turn off DV then the HDR10 image is all but identical.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #6169
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009

So...is it safe to update my UB820 to the 1.66 firmware before its "official" rollout? (insert Marathon Man reference)
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #6170

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
So...is it safe to update my UB820 to the 1.66 firmware before its "official" rollout? (insert Marathon Man reference)
I think that has already been answered....read the posts above.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #6171

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but when I look at those images then the top two - OPPO in DV then Panny in DV - are very very similar, the skin tones are very overcooked in both.

FWIW, I see differences in brightness between the DV outputs of the OPPO and the Panasonic 820 but no differences in colour at all. I'm using the same TV settings on both. And if I turn off DV then the HDR10 image is all but identical.
Ok I think I figured it out. The SC version of the Fifth Element is pushing red way too much with it's DV encode. The HDR10 base layer is just fine. If I play the Sony version of that disc, and force it to output as DV on the OPPO 203 the skin tones look normal. The SC disc is the first DV disc that I noticed that DV was messed up with color.

Last edited by wxman2003; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #6172

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Ok I think I figured it out. The SC version of the Fifth Element is pushing red way too much with it's DV encode.
But that's the director's intent! How dare you... Just kidding
Thanks given by:
wxman2003 (Yesterday)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics