Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$15.50

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

Oculus (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
$19.59

Tomb Raider (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Quiet Place (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avengers: Infinity War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #2181
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie walker View Post
I hate this practice now of only giving you manuals in digital form. So inconvenient.

I'm actually okay with a/v set-up usually but the upper-end of audio is still a mystery to me. I've no idea about bi-amping, or dipole speakers or multi-zones.

Anyway, 7.2.4 is definitely worth it: Much fuller sound, even with just those crappy Onkyo rears. Pity Atmos is going UHD only as that'll mean a player and a new tv have to be bought, unless someone brings out a reasonably-priced 4K projector.

I recommend that Pioneer amp, too, despite all the hassle. Its "fake" Atmos - Dolby Surround - is actually quite impressive, unlike most of these "virtual" gimmicks.
you won't need a 4K tv to get ATMOS/DTS:X, you only need a 4K player, they will/should all be equipped with 2 hdmi outs, one can be used as audio only send that to your receiver/pre-amp to get your object based audio via bitstream and send your other hdmi to your existing monitor to get 1080p video. the player will automatically send out 1080p or whatever your monitor supports via HDCP.

now if you want to spend the extra money to get 4K, go for it, I'm only showing you, that you don't need to in order to get ATMOS/DTS:X.

done & done!
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #2182
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

Yeah I'd say get the Sammy player. Some people are having handshake issues though. I had the picture drop out on me a couple of times but after I turned off deep color it stopped happening. And honestly the 4K does still look sharper even in 1080p. Though I did notice slight banding in Concussion. Tuesday I'm getting The Revenant and I'll let you guys know what that's like.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #2183

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

I just got Oppo 103. Still in box. Thoughts on returning Oppo to get Samsung? I have 110" Sony 1080p projector. 4k not in budget anytime soon. 7.2.4 Denon Atmos.

Sent from a Verizon Wireless LG V10
Old 04-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #2184
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
Yeah I'd say get the Sammy player. Some people are having handshake issues though. I had the picture drop out on me a couple of times but after I turned off deep color it stopped happening. And honestly the 4K does still look sharper even in 1080p. Though I did notice slight banding in Concussion. Tuesday I'm getting The Revenant and I'll let you guys know what that's like.
Banding, in your case, is because you're watching truncated 10 bit data on an 8 bit projector. It's not dithered to help smooth the down-conversion process.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #2185
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpaholic View Post
I just got Oppo 103. Still in box. Thoughts on returning Oppo to get Samsung? I have 110" Sony 1080p projector. 4k not in budget anytime soon. 7.2.4 Denon Atmos.

the truth of the matter is the only reason you need that 4K player since you plan on keeping your 1080p Sony projector is due to the greed of studios. ATMOS/DTS:X is fully supported with all standard Blu-ray players that can bitstream Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD-MA. there are plenty of standard Blu-ray discs that have ATMOS or DTS:X encoded on them, so, nobody give me crap about it can't be done on standard blu.

it's the studios in kahoots with player & tv manufacturers (and I'm sure some of the industry in general) to try to force people to buy into UHD Blu-ray by only including object based audio on 4K discs.

if they were smart, they would offer it on both regular blu and UHD blu and keep everyone happy. I'd be making money on all fronts and not leaving some out or forcing some to buy. of course that's me, I Just Wanna Bring Fire To The People!
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #2186
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I think buying a 4K BD player is very smart if you want to keep enjoying movies in Atmos in the future, regardless of whether you are into UHD or not
Thanks given by:
darealest1 (07-16-2018), FilmFreakosaurus (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #2187
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
I think buying a 4K BD player is very smart if you want to keep enjoying movies in Atmos in the future, regardless of whether you are into UHD or not
You will absolutely have to if you have a Dolby Atmos/DTS: X system.
Thanks given by:
darealest1 (07-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #2188
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008
The Diamond Capital of North America™

Quote:

Jeezuz H, Man!
Send back an Oppo?
[Show spoiler]

I like the advice on the 2 outs on the Samsung player. But Blu ray on a 110" sounds pretty good too. (would look, I mean).

My thinking is that if The Studios are going to limit Immerse Audio to 4K only, then they're not getting my money. DSU works nicely, thank you very much and I'm not spending thousands just because they're saying I'm gonna have to. I just spent a couple grand 9 months ago.
In another year or two when 4K projectors have come down in price a bit, I'll definitely consider it.
Thanks given by:
prerich (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #2189

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Jeezuz H, Man!
Send back an Oppo?
[Show spoiler]

I like the advice on the 2 outs on the Samsung player. But Blu ray on a 110" sounds pretty good too. (would look, I mean).

My thinking is that if The Studios are going to limit Immerse Audio to 4K only, then they're not getting my money. DSU works nicely, thank you very much and I'm not spending thousands just because they're saying I'm gonna have to. I just spent a couple grand 9 months ago.
In another year or two when 4K projectors have come down in price a bit, I'll definitely consider it.
Trust me, that was tough enough to type. Doing it would be even harder. My projector, screen, atmos avr, atmos speakers, and Oppo are still in boxes. I have only fell in love with the thought of what is about to happen, not the real thing yet. Don't want it to be over before it begins.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #2190
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Jeezuz H, Man!
Send back an Oppo?
[Show spoiler]

Send back the Oppo...It is not a UHD player
Old 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #2191
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
Trust me, that was tough enough to type. Doing it would be even harder. My projector, screen, atmos avr, atmos speakers, and Oppo are still in boxes. I have only fell in love with the thought of what is about to happen, not the real thing yet. Don't want it to be over before it begins.

Now after saying what I did, I have regret. I don't want to advise people what they do with their hard-earned moola.

You cover both bases with the Samsung. The Oppo plays all kinds of formats. Tough call Dude and a nice problem to have!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #2192
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2006
New Brighton, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Banding, in your case, is because you're watching truncated 10 bit data on an 8 bit projector. It's not dithered to help smooth the down-conversion process.
Isn't it a 10-bit projector? I googled it and it said "10-bit (partial 12)" whatever that means...
Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #2193
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:

You've got a bad attitude. It's contagious, I'm feeling the same way now.
Thanks given by:
prerich (04-17-2016), Scarriere (04-17-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #2194
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonMG View Post
Isn't it a 10-bit projector? I googled it and it said "10-bit (partial 12)" whatever that means...
It's just the color processing. It's taking an 8 bit signal and upsamples it so it can apply digital adjustments without adding visual artifacts. It's the same thing as a 32 bit DSP audio chip in a consumer receiver or pre-amp. It just oversamples.

This is video bit depth acceptance from the source itself.

True 10 bit and even 12 bit depth source inputting and processing is a relatively new thing in consumer electronics (outside of Pro monitors) and was introduced with higher end UHD displays.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #2195

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
You've got a bad attitude. It's contagious, I'm feeling the same way now.
sniff, sniff, cough, cough, I just caught it as well. I AM NOT FEEDING THEIR GREED ANYTIME SOON, I WILL GO WITH THE VARIOUS WORK- AROUNDS THAT HAVE BEEN MENTIONED
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (04-17-2016), prerich (04-17-2016), Scarriere (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #2196
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

so, i did complete the physical installation of my new gear to include the Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, new Audioquest interconnects and 4 polk speakers mounted "on the ceiling" and other good stuff to complete my 7.1.4 system.

it got late and i didn't run the calibration, but, i did do some manual setups like in speakers, type, layout, distance and some other tweaks.

i sampled 2 discs and went to several scenes in each for about a total of 30 minutes each movie.

The Last Witch Hunter - DTS:X
San Andreas - ATMOS

I was absolutely blown away by some of the scenes i saw and heard. San Andreas had some great over the top scenes, but, i think there was some super incredible scenes in The Last Witch Hunter that really used the 4 ceiling speakers, really working the upper layer of audio mixing it perfectly into the lower surrounds. both movies had all 11.1 channels thumping too; it really changed my whole experience while watching and ive seen both of these movies when i could only listen to the lossless 7.1 core and the differences are amazing!

i was like a kid in a candy store when i saw this on my pre-amp!

[Show spoiler]marantz screenshot.jpg

amazing, i mean, simply amazing. i have to say, the best must be yet to come because it's not calibrated yet, no Audyssey MultEQ XT32 was in play and it still sounded amazing!

i'll probably do the calibration if not tomorrow, then next week. i might take a day off from work and do it during the weekday to ensure fewer people are in the building making noise or having to hear those test tones for that period of time. i do the full 8 recommended calibration positions too!

so, if anyone is wondering, if you've the money, go ATMOS/DTS:X at a minimum, 5.1.2. if you have some more money, and the room size for it, get the whole hog and go 7.1.4 you won't regret it.

Hi, My Name is Solarrdadd, and I'm Team MARANTZ!

i'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (04-17-2016), hometheatergeek (04-17-2016), Opips3 (04-17-2016), prerich (04-17-2016), Scarriere (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #2197
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd;12116473[SPOILER
]so, i did complete the physical installation of my new gear to include the Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, new Audioquest interconnects and 4 polk speakers mounted "on the ceiling" and other good stuff to complete my 7.1.4 system.

it got late and i didn't run the calibration, but, i did do some manual setups like in speakers, type, layout, distance and some other tweaks.

i sampled 2 discs and went to several scenes in each for about a total of 30 minutes each movie.

San Andreas - ATMOS

I was absolutely blown away by some of the scenes i saw and heard. San Andreas had some great over the top scenes, but, i think there was some super incredible scenes in The Last Witch Hunter that really used the 4 ceiling speakers, really working the upper layer of audio mixing it perfectly into the lower surrounds. both movies had all 11.1 channels thumping too; it really changed my whole experience while watching and ive seen both of these movies when i could only listen to the lossless 7.1 core and the differences are amazing!

[Show spoiler]Attachment 139952

amazing, i mean, simply amazing. i have to say, the best must be yet to come because it's not calibrated yet, no Audyssey MultEQ XT32 was in play and it still sounded amazing!

i'll probably do the calibration if not tomorrow, then next week. i might take a day off from work and do it during the weekday to ensure fewer people are in the building making noise or having to hear those test tones for that period of time. i do the full 8 recommended calibration positions too!

so, if anyone is wondering, if you've the money, go ATMOS/DTS:X at a minimum, 5.1.2. if you have some more money, and the room size for it, get the whole hog and go 7.1.4 you won't regret it.

i'll keep you guys posted. [/SPOILER]
That is wicked! I am very, very happy for you solarrdadd!

Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #2198
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Aylmer, Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
so, i did complete the physical installation of my new gear to include the Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp, new Audioquest interconnects and 4 polk speakers mounted "on the ceiling" and other good stuff to complete my 7.1.4 system.

San Andreas - ATMOS

[Show spoiler]Attachment 139952

i'll keep you guys posted.
San Andreas IMO had some of the worst overhead yet. In the beginning with the helicopter I was stunned that there was nothing up there. If you really want to be blown away, try Mad Max, Gravity, or The Fifth Element. I'm definitely on board with team Marantz though Love mine! Unfortunately though, I blew one of ceilings the other day and it's been RMA'd to get a new one. Bad speaker from the get go I guess.
Thanks given by:
darealest1 (07-16-2018)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #2199

Apr 2016
Great Mills, MD

Congratulations. I'm so jealous. Here's my current situation. I have an ailing father and a cruise coming up. So, it will be a couple more weeks before I get to install it.

Thanks given by:
prerich (04-18-2016), Scarriere (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #2200
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2008

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

Congratulations. I'm so jealous. Here's my current situation. I have an ailing father and a cruise coming up. So, it will be a couple more weeks before I get to install it.

Killer!
Thanks given by:
Terpaholic (04-18-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion