Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman Beyond (Blu-ray)
$69.96
22 hrs ago
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$23.49
8 hrs ago
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Aladdin (Blu-ray)
$18.00
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Prodigy (Blu-ray)
$10.00
19 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Paganini Horror (Blu-ray)
$19.89
 
The Haunting of Hill House (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Hereditary (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #21
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
161
1283
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I would have returned the soundbar, and got another brand because, that was red flag. Is there any way you can connect the soundbar direct without using the HDMI Arc? I tried to look at the rear view of your soundbar, to see if there were other inputs that you could use, but it was hard to see it. The only thing that's left that it could be and that's the HDMI Arc connection. I've read about a lot of other people having problems with their A/V equipment when it's being connected to Arc, and have to change the connections to solve the issue.
some people do have ARC issues, but, I (myself) wouldn't say "a lot" I have 3 HDMI/ARC enabled tv's connected and have never had an issue to do with ARC with any of them. my daughter has two tv's, different brands, with different brand receivers, both work with ARC no problems. yes, some people do, but, given the nature of ARC there are always two potential culprits, the TV or the receiver/soundbar that may be at fault. people do tend to blame it on the tv right away.

as for his soundbar, there are two HDMI inputs, one of them is an ARC input. there is an analog and an optical connection. I did recommend he try other sources and all connections. he said other sources all did the same thing. i'm not sure if he tried both the other HDMI and the optical connections.

I do agree, if this was going on from the beginning, with all sources I had doing the same thing, I would have returned the soundbar. of course, we don't know how long he's actually had it. I gather he began to notice it more and more and he's reached a point that it's interfering too much with his tv/movie watching experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
RustinCohle RustinCohle is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
365
1083
120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I would have returned the soundbar, and got another brand because, that was red flag. Is there any way you can connect the soundbar direct without using the HDMI Arc? I tried to look at the rear view of your soundbar, to see if there were other inputs that you could use, but it was hard to see it. The only thing that's left that it could be and that's the HDMI Arc connection. I've read about a lot of other people having problems with their A/V equipment when it's being connected to Arc, and have to change the connections to solve the issue.
I have tried other brands, and this one had the best sound quality out of them all. I've tried TV brand sound bars such as Samsung and LG, but they didn't offer much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
some people do have ARC issues, but, I (myself) wouldn't say "a lot" I have 3 HDMI/ARC enabled tv's connected and have never had an issue to do with ARC with any of them. my daughter has two tv's, different brands, with different brand receivers, both work with ARC no problems. yes, some people do, but, given the nature of ARC there are always two potential culprits, the TV or the receiver/soundbar that may be at fault. people do tend to blame it on the tv right away.

as for his soundbar, there are two HDMI inputs, one of them is an ARC input. there is an analog and an optical connection. I did recommend he try other sources and all connections. he said other sources all did the same thing. i'm not sure if he tried both the other HDMI and the optical connections.

I do agree, if this was going on from the beginning, with all sources I had doing the same thing, I would have returned the soundbar. of course, we don't know how long he's actually had it. I gather he began to notice it more and more and he's reached a point that it's interfering too much with his tv/movie watching experience.
I've had the sound bar for almost one year. You're right, I'm just starting to notice it more and more and it's becoming annoying. I have not tried the optical connection though. I can try that later and report back. I just hate using optical because then I can't control the sound with my TV remote and have to always have a second remote nearby.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #23
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
29
2319
2090
8
Default

That's such a weird issue. The TV should still be sending a signal when there's silence in the audio, it shouldn't drop out. What happens if you play a CD or audio track which has bonus audio after several minutes of silence? Does the JBL disconnect when you're browsing Apps on your TV?

How is the sub woofer connected, by Bluetooth or cable?
You've updated both the sound bar's and sub woofer's firmware?

You should still be able to use the TV's remote to control the volume if you use an optical lead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #24
RustinCohle RustinCohle is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
365
1083
120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
That's such a weird issue. The TV should still be sending a signal when there's silence in the audio, it shouldn't drop out. What happens if you play a CD or audio track which has bonus audio after several minutes of silence? Does the JBL disconnect when you're browsing Apps on your TV?

How is the sub woofer connected, by Bluetooth or cable?
You've updated both the sound bar's and sub woofer's firmware?

You should still be able to use the TV's remote to control the volume if you use an optical lead.
I haven't tried a CD, but the sound bar does disconnect when browsing apps on the TV, but because the TV makes a "ping" type of sound, it tries to reconnect. So if I'm scrolling through all my TVs apps, it's disconnecting and reconnecting over and over.

The subwoofer is wireless, and both have been updated.

I'll try the optical cable later. I'll also try going through the TV and going directly from the player to the sound bar. Then report back.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
chip75 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #25
chip75 chip75 is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
29
2319
2090
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I haven't tried a CD, but the sound bar does disconnect when browsing apps on the TV, but because the TV makes a "ping" type of sound, it tries to reconnect. So if I'm scrolling through all my TVs apps, it's disconnecting and reconnecting over and over.

The subwoofer is wireless, and both have been updated.

I'll try the optical cable later. I'll also try going through the TV and going directly from the player to the sound bar. Then report back.
If you can try plugging the sub woofer in directly.

I'm not sure this is something that can be resolved through troubleshooting, it sounds like a software bug of the JBL or the TV (but you would have probably noticed with other sound bars). I'd suggest trying connecting the JBL to another display, but if you can connect your player directly it should have the same results.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #26
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
161
1283
4
42
316
Default

Rus, if you have a standalone UHD player or Blu-ray player that has dual HDMI outputs, and if you have the movie you referenced in the clip, try the following:

disconnect the tv from the soundbar

connect the audio only hdmi to the sounbar's input

connect the video hdmi to the tv's input

play the movie, if the soundbar doesn't as you call it "cut out/in" during those scenes, it's probably an issue with your tv. if it does, it's probably an issue with the soundbar.

right now, i'm more sure than not that this is an issue of the soundbar, it shouldn't loose connectivity because of a lack of signal for a few seconds. tons of tv/movies have scenes where there is silence for 2-5 seconds. who the hell would make a soundbar that would loose a lock that quickly? also, I know the soundbar is hdmi 1.4, make sure your tv's HDMI that is connected to the ARC port is set to 1.4 and not 2.0 I mention this because it does for some cause problems with video, not sure about the audio but for sure with video as some 1.4 devices can't handle the connection to a 2.0 port.

my tv's allows me to go to the individual hdmi port and switch them between 1.4/2.0 to prevent compatibility issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #27
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I have tried other brands, and this one had the best sound quality out of them all. I've tried TV brand sound bars such as Samsung and LG, but they didn't offer much.
You've got more patience than I do because I would've thrown the entire system out the window by now. I would forget about soundbars altogether, and get a nice home theater in a box because it seems like soundbars are just not working out for you. Have you ever thought about a HTiB? Best Buy have a Onkyo, and its inexpensive.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-14-2019 at 11:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:16 AM   #28
RustinCohle RustinCohle is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
365
1083
120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
Rus, if you have a standalone UHD player or Blu-ray player that has dual HDMI outputs, and if you have the movie you referenced in the clip, try the following:

disconnect the tv from the soundbar

connect the audio only hdmi to the sounbar's input

connect the video hdmi to the tv's input

play the movie, if the soundbar doesn't as you call it "cut out/in" during those scenes, it's probably an issue with your tv. if it does, it's probably an issue with the soundbar.

right now, i'm more sure than not that this is an issue of the soundbar, it shouldn't loose connectivity because of a lack of signal for a few seconds. tons of tv/movies have scenes where there is silence for 2-5 seconds. who the hell would make a soundbar that would loose a lock that quickly? also, I know the soundbar is hdmi 1.4, make sure your tv's HDMI that is connected to the ARC port is set to 1.4 and not 2.0 I mention this because it does for some cause problems with video, not sure about the audio but for sure with video as some 1.4 devices can't handle the connection to a 2.0 port.

my tv's allows me to go to the individual hdmi port and switch them between 1.4/2.0 to prevent compatibility issues.
So I tried plugging the blu-ray player directly into the sound bar instead of running it through the TV, and it seems to have fixed one problem but also possibly created another. The audio drop doesn’t happen anymore. However, the sound bar, which supports Dolby, can now only be set to PCM it seems. Before I could leave it on auto and it would decide what to choose. Now, if left on auto, it will read “ERROR” when a movie starts and no sound will come out. When on PCM, it works without disconnecting though.

I’m not sure how big of a difference the Dolby vs PCM is as far as audio quality goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
You've got more patience than I do because I would've thrown the entire system out the window by now. I would forget about soundbars altogether, and get a nice home theater in a box because it seems like soundbars are just not working out for you. Have you ever thought about a HTiB? Best Buy have a Onkyo, and its inexpensive.
I’ve got plenty of patience for this because it has a great sound and an amazing sub for the price ($150 on BF). Also, I’m renting an apartment, so I don’t feel like investing in anything more at the moment.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #29
solarrdadd solarrdadd is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
161
1283
4
42
316
Default

Let the player do the decoding and send PCM to the sound bar. You won’t be losing sound quality. It will still sound good. You should be able to set your sound bar back to auto like before.

As for the tv try setting the audio for ARC to stereo-PCM and that might fix your issue with ARC. I do believe your sound bar is 2.1 give that a try and replay that video clip and see what happens.

We’re getting closer baby boy! Keep us posted
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #30
slimdude slimdude is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I’ve got plenty of patience for this because it has a great sound and an amazing sub for the price ($150 on BF). Also, I’m renting an apartment, so I don’t feel like investing in anything more at the moment.
If you're unable to resolve the problem you are going to have to do something, unless you decide to keep listening to defective audio. You already stated that you didn't like the sound of the other soundbars, so what are you going to do?

Last edited by slimdude; Yesterday at 10:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:07 AM.