Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99
 
The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
The Critters Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.47
25 min ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
 
A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #41
Bates_Motel Bates_Motel is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bates_Motel's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
Los Angeles
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
No surprise Universal has not bothered with a Blu-ray release in the USA of this film. It took them ages to release it on DVD finally. I do have the Japan and German releases of this on Blu-ray, the Japan release is definitely the one to get it's a little better. I'd say a Criterion release of this is possible one day since they released Mullholland Drive on Blu-ray. I love that road rage scene in the film, it's classic.
That's because October Films produced and owned it originally. (From wiki) "A series of mergers and acquisitions began when Universal Pictures (then a division of the Seagram Company) bought a majority stake in October Films in 1997. Universal then sold its shares to Barry Diller in 1999, who renamed the company USA Films and merged it with Gramercy Pictures. Vivendi then acquired USA Films, who in 2002 acquired Good Machine and merged it with USA Films, forming Focus Features."

It's now a Focus title (at least the DVD was billed as that). Rights issues from the mergers and acquisitions was partially to blame for holding it it up from being released.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #42
danny24 danny24 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2010
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
That's because October Films produced and owned it originally. (From wiki) "A series of mergers and acquisitions began when Universal Pictures (then a division of the Seagram Company) bought a majority stake in October Films in 1997. Universal then sold its shares to Barry Diller in 1999, who renamed the company USA Films and merged it with Gramercy Pictures. Vivendi then acquired USA Films, who in 2002 acquired Good Machine and merged it with USA Films, forming Focus Features."

It's now a Focus title (at least the DVD was billed as that). Rights issues from the mergers and acquisitions was partially to blame for holding it it up from being released.
Ok, I do recall it being a Focus Features title with the DVD version. I'd say Criterion definitely has a shot at getting this released in the USA on Blu-ray if they want it that bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #43
tylergfoster tylergfoster is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Seattle, WA
905
655
90
1628
6
175
Default

My understanding is that Lynch is re-acquiring the rights to most of his films and Lost Highway was one of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:33 AM   #44
neveser neveser is online now
Active Member
 
neveser's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
665
Default

Anyone know how this version looks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #45
Axl Rose Axl Rose is online now
Special Member
 
Axl Rose's Avatar
 
Dec 2014
Sicily
58
2
9
Default

I believe its identical to the standard German release that i have. You can see the screen caps here
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 AM   #46
neveser neveser is online now
Active Member
 
neveser's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
I believe its identical to the standard German release that i have. You can see the screen caps here
I guess I could save a bit and just buy the regular German version then. Too bad the Japanese versions are so expensive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #47
Kyle15 Kyle15 is online now
Expert Member
 
Kyle15's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Alabama
138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I guess I could save a bit and just buy the regular German version then. Too bad the Japanese versions are so expensive.
The color-timing is pretty off on them though, I'd recommend waiting for an eventual re-release in the states honestly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #48
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
427
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
Anyone know how this version looks?
Its identical - I had both and compared them! I kept this one because I just liked the cover more than the boring other one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #49
Region_unlocked Region_unlocked is online now
Special Member
 
Jan 2014
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargus View Post
I'm new to buying import discs really. Never heard of that site. Do they ship stuff relatively safely?

They have elephant man also on that site for 10 bucks and Id been wanting a blu of it.
CD Japan is notorious for their quality packing materials. They wrap BDs in bubble wrap, covered in a foam sheet, put in a small box, in an envelope. They really go above and beyond to keep your order safe.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #50
Gold Ranger Gold Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Gold Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
78
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger
Default

I had the VHS.
I really need to upgrade this one!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #51
snipemonkey snipemonkey is offline
Active Member
 
snipemonkey's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas, TX
1369
390
219
190
2
Default

Well, I just bit for the German Concorde version. With shipping it was only about $13 total to the US from Amazon Germany, so why not? Can't wait any longer for a R1 release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #52
klauswhereareyou klauswhereareyou is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
klauswhereareyou's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
722
Default

This movie has had a weird release history on disc in North America. I think for the longest time the only DVD available was an awful Pan and Scan one put out in Canada, and then in the late 2000's Universal (Focus Features) put out a widescreen disc that looked a little better, but still not that great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #53
Bates_Motel Bates_Motel is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Bates_Motel's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
Los Angeles
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
This movie has had a weird release history on disc in North America. I think for the longest time the only DVD available was an awful Pan and Scan one put out in Canada, and then in the late 2000's Universal (Focus Features) put out a widescreen disc that looked a little better, but still not that great.
That's because October films folded, then several sales happened where it was eventually swallowed up by Universal. Tok a while to sort out the rights, on top of it being not a huge priority since it didn't make much money and wasn't a big seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
Ok, I do recall it being a Focus Features title with the DVD version. I'd say Criterion definitely has a shot at getting this released in the USA on Blu-ray if they want it that bad.
Of course, Criterion licenses from Universal regularly, and they are in good standing with Lynch now so I would assume Criterion would be the ones to put it out. It needs a new scan though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #54
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
New York
388
10
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
That's because October films folded, then several sales happened where it was eventually swallowed up by Universal. Tok a while to sort out the rights, on top of it being not a huge priority since it didn't make much money and wasn't a big seller.



Of course, Criterion licenses from Universal regularly, and they are in good standing with Lynch now so I would assume Criterion would be the ones to put it out. It needs a new scan though.
And then everyone will bash it like what's happening with Criterion's Mulholland Drive now that the Studio Canal version is out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #55
snipemonkey snipemonkey is offline
Active Member
 
snipemonkey's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas, TX
1369
390
219
190
2
Default

Quote:
Of course, Criterion licenses from Universal regularly, and they are in good standing with Lynch now so I would assume Criterion would be the ones to put it out. It needs a new scan though.
And, as one of the previous posters said: Since I have finally bit the bullet and purchased the German Blu-ray, Criterion will announce their release within the next month. You're welcome.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Axl Rose (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #56
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
427
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
And then everyone will bash it like what's happening with Criterion's Mulholland Drive now that the Studio Canal version is out.
Hope so! Studio Canal or Arrow release would be nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #57
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
427
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
I had the VHS.
I really need to upgrade this one!
Ha! Not sure if you meant that but VHS is probably the way to own Lost Highway really
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #58
Gold Ranger Gold Ranger is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Gold Ranger's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
78
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Ha! Not sure if you meant that but VHS is probably the way to own Lost Highway really
Yup, I did mean it.
Never saw a DVD release for this in stores.
So, I'd definately get the BD


Why do you say VHS is the way to own it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #59
snipemonkey snipemonkey is offline
Active Member
 
snipemonkey's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Dallas, TX
1369
390
219
190
2
Default

Quote:
Why do you say VHS is the way to own it?
Same reason probably the best way to view THE RING is on VHS.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Youre My Boy Blu! (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #60
Synchg Synchg is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
t I hope he or the cinematographer find a moment to supervise a remaster of this wonderful film.

if it's so wonderful, could you please summarize to me what it is about. not critiquing, honest inquiry.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:47 AM.