Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Revenge (Blu-ray)
$6.99

The X-Files: The Complete Season 11 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Critters Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.47
25 min ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
11 hrs ago
Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Heat (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Spy Who Dumped Me 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00

A Cure for Wellness (Blu-ray)
$3.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International

Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 AM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
No surprise Universal has not bothered with a Blu-ray release in the USA of this film. It took them ages to release it on DVD finally. I do have the Japan and German releases of this on Blu-ray, the Japan release is definitely the one to get it's a little better. I'd say a Criterion release of this is possible one day since they released Mullholland Drive on Blu-ray. I love that road rage scene in the film, it's classic.
That's because October Films produced and owned it originally. (From wiki) "A series of mergers and acquisitions began when Universal Pictures (then a division of the Seagram Company) bought a majority stake in October Films in 1997. Universal then sold its shares to Barry Diller in 1999, who renamed the company USA Films and merged it with Gramercy Pictures. Vivendi then acquired USA Films, who in 2002 acquired Good Machine and merged it with USA Films, forming Focus Features."

It's now a Focus title (at least the DVD was billed as that). Rights issues from the mergers and acquisitions was partially to blame for holding it it up from being released.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 AM   #42
Special Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
That's because October Films produced and owned it originally. (From wiki) "A series of mergers and acquisitions began when Universal Pictures (then a division of the Seagram Company) bought a majority stake in October Films in 1997. Universal then sold its shares to Barry Diller in 1999, who renamed the company USA Films and merged it with Gramercy Pictures. Vivendi then acquired USA Films, who in 2002 acquired Good Machine and merged it with USA Films, forming Focus Features."

It's now a Focus title (at least the DVD was billed as that). Rights issues from the mergers and acquisitions was partially to blame for holding it it up from being released.
Ok, I do recall it being a Focus Features title with the DVD version. I'd say Criterion definitely has a shot at getting this released in the USA on Blu-ray if they want it that bad.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

My understanding is that Lynch is re-acquiring the rights to most of his films and Lost Highway was one of them.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:33 AM   #44

Sep 2011

Anyone know how this version looks?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #45
Special Member

Dec 2014
Sicily

I believe its identical to the standard German release that i have. You can see the screen caps here
Old 07-21-2017, 04:07 AM   #46

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
I believe its identical to the standard German release that i have. You can see the screen caps here
I guess I could save a bit and just buy the regular German version then. Too bad the Japanese versions are so expensive.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #47
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I guess I could save a bit and just buy the regular German version then. Too bad the Japanese versions are so expensive.
The color-timing is pretty off on them though, I'd recommend waiting for an eventual re-release in the states honestly.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
Anyone know how this version looks?
Its identical - I had both and compared them! I kept this one because I just liked the cover more than the boring other one.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #49
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargus View Post
I'm new to buying import discs really. Never heard of that site. Do they ship stuff relatively safely?

They have elephant man also on that site for 10 bucks and Id been wanting a blu of it.
CD Japan is notorious for their quality packing materials. They wrap BDs in bubble wrap, covered in a foam sheet, put in a small box, in an envelope. They really go above and beyond to keep your order safe.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #50
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

I had the VHS.
I really need to upgrade this one!
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #51

Oct 2008
Dallas, TX

Well, I just bit for the German Concorde version. With shipping it was only about $13 total to the US from Amazon Germany, so why not? Can't wait any longer for a R1 release.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

This movie has had a weird release history on disc in North America. I think for the longest time the only DVD available was an awful Pan and Scan one put out in Canada, and then in the late 2000's Universal (Focus Features) put out a widescreen disc that looked a little better, but still not that great.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
This movie has had a weird release history on disc in North America. I think for the longest time the only DVD available was an awful Pan and Scan one put out in Canada, and then in the late 2000's Universal (Focus Features) put out a widescreen disc that looked a little better, but still not that great.
That's because October films folded, then several sales happened where it was eventually swallowed up by Universal. Tok a while to sort out the rights, on top of it being not a huge priority since it didn't make much money and wasn't a big seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
Ok, I do recall it being a Focus Features title with the DVD version. I'd say Criterion definitely has a shot at getting this released in the USA on Blu-ray if they want it that bad.
Of course, Criterion licenses from Universal regularly, and they are in good standing with Lynch now so I would assume Criterion would be the ones to put it out. It needs a new scan though.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
That's because October films folded, then several sales happened where it was eventually swallowed up by Universal. Tok a while to sort out the rights, on top of it being not a huge priority since it didn't make much money and wasn't a big seller.

Of course, Criterion licenses from Universal regularly, and they are in good standing with Lynch now so I would assume Criterion would be the ones to put it out. It needs a new scan though.
And then everyone will bash it like what's happening with Criterion's Mulholland Drive now that the Studio Canal version is out.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #55

Oct 2008
Dallas, TX

Quote:
And, as one of the previous posters said: Since I have finally bit the bullet and purchased the German Blu-ray, Criterion will announce their release within the next month. You're welcome.
Thanks given by:
Axl Rose (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #56
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
And then everyone will bash it like what's happening with Criterion's Mulholland Drive now that the Studio Canal version is out.
Hope so! Studio Canal or Arrow release would be nice.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
I had the VHS.
I really need to upgrade this one!
Ha! Not sure if you meant that but VHS is probably the way to own Lost Highway really
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #58
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Ha! Not sure if you meant that but VHS is probably the way to own Lost Highway really
Yup, I did mean it.
Never saw a DVD release for this in stores.
So, I'd definately get the BD

Why do you say VHS is the way to own it?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #59

Oct 2008
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Why do you say VHS is the way to own it?
Same reason probably the best way to view THE RING is on VHS.
Thanks given by:
Youre My Boy Blu! (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #60
Expert Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
t I hope he or the cinematographer find a moment to supervise a remaster of this wonderful film.

if it's so wonderful, could you please summarize to me what it is about. not critiquing, honest inquiry.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International