Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
14 hrs ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.90
5 hrs ago
Justice Society: World War II 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
 
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
 
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60
 
The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
Independence Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Santa Sangre 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
maverick22 maverick22 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
maverick22's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Tejas
398
885
2
1
1
6
186
Default Sound of Music 4k?

Watched it with my daughter (first time to ever see it) and we both enjoyed it. It was my grandmotherís favorite movie.

Anyone hear anything as far as it coming to 4k? I thought the Disney Plus stream looked great.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW (10-17-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
NotASpeckOfCereal NotASpeckOfCereal is offline
Special Member
 
NotASpeckOfCereal's Avatar
 
Nov 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Watched it with my daughter (first time to ever see it) and we both enjoyed it. It was my grandmotherís favorite movie.

Anyone hear anything as far as it coming to 4k? I thought the Disney Plus stream looked great.
It would certainly be a good candidate. There has already been a restored 70mm print in 2000, and a subsequent 8K scan from that, mastered to 4K. This has already been released to BD, so now just needs the HDR treatment I guess.

Here's an older article. Does anyone know more? Does Disknee own this now?

Chris
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Roy_Batty Roy_Batty is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2010
Canada
9
Default

It's a Fox film, so yes Disney now owns it!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Falaskan Falaskan is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2011
Alaska
274
60
1
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
It's a Fox film, so yes Disney now owns it!
Good. Disney should review it to see what a good 4K/8K/16K transfer is really like.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (12-31-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:03 AM   #5
kristoffer kristoffer is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
kristoffer's Avatar
 
May 2010
Denmark
Default

The BD looks already looks really good, so bring it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
maverick22 (12-31-2019), Wes_k089 (05-11-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Robert Siegel Robert Siegel is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2007
2293
63
7
Default

2020 was the film's 55th anniversary. Over at Fox Video, they released a new special set of this film every 5 years without fail near March, when it had its New York world premiere, starting with the laserdisc "Fox widescreen edition.".

I truly believe that there was a planned 4k blu-ray release prepared at Fox for the anniversary. They already have an 8k scan, and a downsized 4k scan that was done when they restored the film for the 45th anniversary and put it out on blu-ray for the first time. Then during this period, the deal with Disney took place, and what happened? Disney Plus. The Sound of Music was the first Fox film to be included in their new service, it was on Disney Plus from day one, though only in HD.

So I believe that Disney stopped work on a 4k edition for the 55th anniversary in order for the film to be an exclusive on Disney Plus. Let;s be real, this is exactly the type of thing Disney does. Fox had never missed a new release every 5 years in over 25 years.

I do hope we get this in 4k one day, but I have a note to the Disney video team: You must fix the color palette on the blu-ray version. Of all the different releases over the years (which I own and always compare), all with different transfers, not one of those previous releases had the color tones on the blu-ray. It was like the blu-ray was a completely different film as far as color. They changed a lot of the film to a multitude of earth-tone colors and got rid of so many of the blue tones. Check out the other versions, look at the brilliant and BRIGHT color of the grass and mountains on the opening scene on the older versions. Plus many loyalists including projectionists have claimed that they never saw the film with these colors before. Julie Andrews hair was supposed to be blonde. In interviews available on YouTube, she talks about her hair becoming a very light blonde color, yet in My Favorite Things, her hair is a dark auburn rust color. Then in DoReMi it's a different tone. Different again when the Captain and Leisl sing Edelweiss. If you read the forums on this site and a few others, experts, with some who worked with this film in some way, say that the 40th anniversary DVD release had the correct colors, because Robert Wise's approved 70mm print (from the laserdisc) was used as a reference.

Also, I understand this was the first time they could use the 6 track stereo master (for the blu-ray), and it does have a richer sound, but listen closely, the entire upper end high frequencies have been removed in order to get rid of the tape hiss. If you switch on the blu-ray to the French soundtrack, or compare the English track to the 40th anniversary DVD, you can hear all of those sounds including the high frequencies of many of the musical instruments, My preference is to ALWAYS leave most of the tape hiss, I'd rather have that along with the upper register of sound than a track where all of the high frequencies have been removed because they registered in the frequencies with the tape hiss, and we all know in this world of digital, tape hiss would be a big no-no. In fact, if you watch the short film on the blu-ray extra about restoring the sound, you can actually see the man on the computer showing us (as we watch the tv monitor showing the levels in moving color bars) that "this is all tape hiss so we cut it out" he says, and you can actually see that there are actual signals being taken off.

As you have all probably guessed, this is my all time favorite movie, and with every release since VHS began, there was always something wrong with the sound and picture. To me, the best version is the 40th anniversary DVD restoration. It's a shame they didn't offer that at least on an extra disc, and also the soundtrack from that restoration, which includes the tape hiss and you can really hear the high end. I would love to hear that soundtrack in lossless audio. Also, the version that ABC TV had shown for years was much m,ore close to the original color pallette (now they starting showing the blu-ray transfer the last few years) AND you can hear the tape's hiss on ABC's older version, which I believe is the same as the 40th anniversary DVD. Thank God I taped it off of ABC every year.

I do have to make a disclaimer. The work that was done by Fox on the blu-ray release for the 45th anniversary is simply stunning. The clarity is so good you can see all of the individual blades of grass, and even almost know how the clothing would feel to the touch. It is awesome work and I have to commend those who cleaned it up and made such wonderful detail available to us. But I think when it came to color, since no one was alive from the film who could remember the accurate palette, I think a lot of decisions were made without having any reference and the overall color of the entire film changed. And as far as the sound, I think a decision was made to completely rid the soundtrack of tape noise and hiss which would be at the top of the frequency register, where such sounds as tambourines and the top frequencies of horns exist. Watch the "restoring the sound" short on the blu-ray extras, you can literally see them wiping away the highest frequencies and right on their monitors, you watch actual sound signals cut off.

So now the question of a 4k release? Who knows now that Disney owns it, but I truly believe we were VERY close to having this disc in 4k in our hands by now, but the Disney deal would be its demise, at least for now.

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 09-08-2020 at 10:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Misioon_Odisea (10-17-2020), Variety Films 3D (09-17-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #7
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
187
1925
301
4
33
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
2020 was the film's 55th anniversary. Over at Fox Video, they released a new special set of this film every 5 years without fail near March, when it had its New York world premiere, starting with the laserdisc "Fox widescreen edition.".

I truly believe that there was a planned 4k blu-ray release prepared at Fox for the anniversary. They already have an 8k scan, and a downsized 4k scan that was done when they restored the film for the 45th anniversary and put it out on blu-ray for the first time. Then during this period, the deal with Disney took place, and what happened? Disney Plus. The Sound of Music was the first Fox film to be included in their new service, it was on Disney Plus from day one, though only in HD.

So I believe that Disney stopped work on a 4k edition for the 55th anniversary in order for the film to be an exclusive on Disney Plus. Let;s be real, this is exactly the type of thing Disney does. Fox had never missed a new release every 5 years in over 25 years.

I do hope we get this in 4k one day, but I have a note to the Disney video team: You must fix the color palette on the blu-ray version. Of all the different releases over the years (which I own and always compare), all with different transfers, not one of those previous releases had the color tones on the blu-ray. It was like the blu-ray was a completely different film as far as color. They changed a lot of the film to a multitude of earth-tone colors and got rid of so many of the blue tones. Check out the other versions, look at the brilliant and BRIGHT color of the grass and mountains on the opening scene on the older versions. Plus many loyalists including projectionists have claimed that they never saw the film with these colors before. Julie Andrews hair was supposed to be blonde. In interviews available on YouTube, she talks about her hair becoming a very light blonde color, yet in My Favorite Things, her hair is a dark auburn rust color. Then in DoReMi it's a different tone. Different again when the Captain and Leisl sing Edelweiss. If you read the forums on this site and a few others, experts, with some who worked with this film in some way, say that the 40th anniversary DVD release had the correct colors, because Robert Wise's approved 70mm print (from the laserdisc) was used as a reference.

Also, I understand this was the first time they could use the 6 track stereo master (for the blu-ray), and it does have a richer sound, but listen closely, the entire upper end high frequencies have been removed in order to get rid of the tape hiss. If you switch on the blu-ray to the French soundtrack, or compare the English track to the 40th anniversary DVD, you can hear all of those sounds including the high frequencies of many of the musical instruments, My preference is to ALWAYS leave most of the tape hiss, I'd rather have that along with the upper register of sound than a track where all of the high frequencies have been removed because they registered in the frequencies with the tape hiss, and we all know in this world of digital, tape hiss would be a big no-no. In fact, if you watch the short film on the blu-ray extra about restoring the sound, you can actually see the man on the computer showing us (as we watch the tv monitor showing the levels in moving color bars) that "this is all tape hiss so we cut it out" he says, and you can actually see that there are actual signals being taken off.

As you have all probably guessed, this is my all time favorite movie, and with every release since VHS began, there was always something wrong with the sound and picture. To me, the best version is the 40th anniversary DVD restoration. It's a shame they didn't offer that at least on an extra disc, and also the soundtrack from that restoration, which includes the tape hiss and you can really hear the high end. I would love to hear that soundtrack in lossless audio. Also, the version that ABC TV had shown for years was much m,ore close to the original color pallette (now they starting showing the blu-ray transfer the last few years) AND you can hear the tape's hiss on ABC's older version, which I believe is the same as the 40th anniversary DVD. Thank God I taped it off of ABC every year.

I do have to make a disclaimer. The work that was done by Fox on the blu-ray release for the 45th anniversary is simply stunning. The clarity is so good you can see all of the individual blades of grass, and even almost know how the clothing would feel to the touch. It is awesome work and I have to commend those who cleaned it up and made such wonderful detail available to us. But I think when it came to color, since no one was alive from the film who could remember the accurate palette, I think a lot of decisions were made without having any reference and the overall color of the entire film changed. And as far as the sound, I think a decision was made to completely rid the soundtrack of tape noise and hiss which would be at the top of the frequency register, where such sounds as tambourines and the top frequencies of horns exist. Watch the "restoring the sound" short on the blu-ray extras, you can literally see them wiping away the highest frequencies and right on their monitors, you watch actual sound signals cut off.

So now the question of a 4k release? Who knows now that Disney owns it, but I truly believe we were VERY close to having this disc in 4k in our hands by now, but the Disney deal would be its demise, at least for now.
honestly I wish a future release would be original to it's 70mm 6-track audio mix - Robert Wise was noted to not being a fan of surround sound - the five stage channel / mono surround mix from what I've read was entirely different to the 7.1 mix that stereo's the mono surround to four channels (overkill in my opinion).
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (09-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Kruse Kruse is offline
New Member
 
Nov 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
2020 was the film's 55th anniversary. Over at Fox Video, they released a new special set of this film every 5 years without fail near March, when it had its New York world premiere, starting with the laserdisc "Fox widescreen edition.".

I truly believe that there was a planned 4k blu-ray release prepared at Fox for the anniversary. They already have an 8k scan, and a downsized 4k scan that was done when they restored the film for the 45th anniversary and put it out on blu-ray for the first time. Then during this period, the deal with Disney took place, and what happened? Disney Plus. The Sound of Music was the first Fox film to be included in their new service, it was on Disney Plus from day one, though only in HD.

So I believe that Disney stopped work on a 4k edition for the 55th anniversary in order for the film to be an exclusive on Disney Plus. Let;s be real, this is exactly the type of thing Disney does. Fox had never missed a new release every 5 years in over 25 years.

I do hope we get this in 4k one day, but I have a note to the Disney video team: You must fix the color palette on the blu-ray version. Of all the different releases over the years (which I own and always compare), all with different transfers, not one of those previous releases had the color tones on the blu-ray. It was like the blu-ray was a completely different film as far as color. They changed a lot of the film to a multitude of earth-tone colors and got rid of so many of the blue tones. Check out the other versions, look at the brilliant and BRIGHT color of the grass and mountains on the opening scene on the older versions. Plus many loyalists including projectionists have claimed that they never saw the film with these colors before. Julie Andrews hair was supposed to be blonde. In interviews available on YouTube, she talks about her hair becoming a very light blonde color, yet in My Favorite Things, her hair is a dark auburn rust color. Then in DoReMi it's a different tone. Different again when the Captain and Leisl sing Edelweiss. If you read the forums on this site and a few others, experts, with some who worked with this film in some way, say that the 40th anniversary DVD release had the correct colors, because Robert Wise's approved 70mm print (from the laserdisc) was used as a reference.

Also, I understand this was the first time they could use the 6 track stereo master (for the blu-ray), and it does have a richer sound, but listen closely, the entire upper end high frequencies have been removed in order to get rid of the tape hiss. If you switch on the blu-ray to the French soundtrack, or compare the English track to the 40th anniversary DVD, you can hear all of those sounds including the high frequencies of many of the musical instruments, My preference is to ALWAYS leave most of the tape hiss, I'd rather have that along with the upper register of sound than a track where all of the high frequencies have been removed because they registered in the frequencies with the tape hiss, and we all know in this world of digital, tape hiss would be a big no-no. In fact, if you watch the short film on the blu-ray extra about restoring the sound, you can actually see the man on the computer showing us (as we watch the tv monitor showing the levels in moving color bars) that "this is all tape hiss so we cut it out" he says, and you can actually see that there are actual signals being taken off.

As you have all probably guessed, this is my all time favorite movie, and with every release since VHS began, there was always something wrong with the sound and picture. To me, the best version is the 40th anniversary DVD restoration. It's a shame they didn't offer that at least on an extra disc, and also the soundtrack from that restoration, which includes the tape hiss and you can really hear the high end. I would love to hear that soundtrack in lossless audio. Also, the version that ABC TV had shown for years was much m,ore close to the original color pallette (now they starting showing the blu-ray transfer the last few years) AND you can hear the tape's hiss on ABC's older version, which I believe is the same as the 40th anniversary DVD. Thank God I taped it off of ABC every year.

I do have to make a disclaimer. The work that was done by Fox on the blu-ray release for the 45th anniversary is simply stunning. The clarity is so good you can see all of the individual blades of grass, and even almost know how the clothing would feel to the touch. It is awesome work and I have to commend those who cleaned it up and made such wonderful detail available to us. But I think when it came to color, since no one was alive from the film who could remember the accurate palette, I think a lot of decisions were made without having any reference and the overall color of the entire film changed. And as far as the sound, I think a decision was made to completely rid the soundtrack of tape noise and hiss which would be at the top of the frequency register, where such sounds as tambourines and the top frequencies of horns exist. Watch the "restoring the sound" short on the blu-ray extras, you can literally see them wiping away the highest frequencies and right on their monitors, you watch actual sound signals cut off.

So now the question of a 4k release? Who knows now that Disney owns it, but I truly believe we were VERY close to having this disc in 4k in our hands by now, but the Disney deal would be its demise, at least for now.
Thank you so much for this post Robert Siegel, just exactly my words you just wrote down.
Can't wait for the day we finally get a color-corrected, full sound version of this amazing movie, The Sound of Music.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Feb 2012
127
273
59
1
Default

Disney are turning into almost inconceivable bastards
even Disney's own heir is trashing them to bits all the time
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Misioon_Odisea (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #10
Robert Siegel Robert Siegel is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2007
2293
63
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBMakeVMarsMovieNOW View Post
Disney are turning into almost inconceivable bastards
even Disney's own heir is trashing them to bits all the time
Not one pre-1980 movie scheduled by Disney in 4k, looks like they are going to hold the entire library hostage for Disney plus. The Sound of Music was the first Fox movie to be on Disney plus, no other streaming service has it unless you want to rent or purchase it. The day Rupert Murdock purchased Fox was really the end, because I knew one day he would sell off the entertainment part of Fox, what is sad is that Warner didn't buy them or Sony or Paramount. It had to be Disney. I don't think we will see any 4k releases of the classics from 20th Century "studios."
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
SB0780 (10-23-2020), Variety Films 3D (12-22-2020)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 PM.