Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Maniac 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.20
10 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Tokyo Godfathers (Blu-ray)
$22.45
13 hrs ago
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Blu-ray)
$27.99
19 hrs ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

I Still Believe (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Jumanji: The Next Level 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.25
9 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

True Grit (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$17.36
6 hrs ago
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Jumanji: The Next Level (Blu-ray)
$20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Sweden The Baby of Mācon (Peter Greenaway)

As yet unavailable on home video in the United States of America, Peter Greenaway's The Baby of Mācon (1993) is set to be released in Sweden on August 18th by Atlantic Film.

The Baby of Mācon Blu-ray

Stephen Holden (The New York Times; 1997)

Quote:
Not even Ken Russell could have dreamed up the stew of grotesque religiosity, slavering voyeurism and sexual violence that is Peter Greenaway's 1993 movie, ''The Baby of Macon,'' the English director's only feature film not to have been distributed in the United States. This elaborate play within a play within a play, in which the audience and the actors become thoroughly confused, stars Julia Ormond and Ralph Fiennes, who are both shown in full frontal nudity in a blasphemous scene parodying the birth of Jesus in a manger.

Set in the court of the Medici family in 1657 when famine and pestilence have rendered all the women in the region sterile, the movie follows the mass hysteria that erupts when a repulsive crone miraculously gives birth to a beautiful baby boy, who immediately becomes an object of worship.

The boy's demonic older sister (Ms. Ormond) perpetrates a fraud in which she claims to be the child's virgin mother. She invites the bishop's son (Mr. Fiennes) to perpetuate the hoax by playing Joseph to her Virgin Mary. But when the miracle child dies after his bodily fluids are auctioned off, the church turns against the fraudulent mother and sentences her to be gang-raped by 113 soldiers.

This relentlessly grim fable of exploitation, religious fanaticism and oppression is an ornate, social nightmare with contemporary echoes that take in everything from modern faith healing to advertising to pop culture deities like Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. And the fate of Ms. Ormond's character inevitably conjures up visions of the organized rapes in the Balkans carried out in the name of ''ethnic cleansing.''

Last edited by McCrutchy; 08-30-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Sweden

N.B. Atlantic Film are also releasing Greenaway's Prospero's Books (1991) on the same day (see here).

For EU consumers, both films are currently available for pre-order at Discshop.se.

According to information from the Atlantic Film web site, the film will be presented in its OAR of 2.35:1 on a BD-25 with English DD 2.0 audio and Swedish, Danish, Finnish and Norwegian subtitles.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

If any of our Swedish users are in the shops tomorrow, can you please confirm that this title (and also Prospero's Books) is released? There is only one, rather dubious-looking pre-order for them from a site that ships to the USA...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

what's the 'region' for this release A? B? (I'm hoping it can play on American 'A' players)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #5

Jan 2010

Anyone know of a online shop that
a) has Baby of Macon in stock
b) is English friendly and
c) ships to the U.S.

Thanks for any help
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettlv5506 View Post
Anyone know of a online shop that
a) has Baby of Macon in stock
b) is English friendly and
c) ships to the U.S.

Thanks for any help
There seems to be an issue with stock of the item., however certain users in Sweden have claimed to have copies, so it would seem it is just a waiting game...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
what's the 'region' for this release A? B? (I'm hoping it can play on American 'A' players)
Well, it seems to play in my US region A Panasonic blu-ray player without problems ...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
There seems to be an issue with stock of the item., however certain users in Sweden have claimed to have copies, so it would seem it is just a waiting game...
For EU consumers, Discshop.se now has a few dozen copies in stock.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #9

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit22 View Post
Well, it seems to play in my US region A Panasonic blu-ray player without problems ...
Can you give us a quick review of it..Quality, subtitles etc.?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghidorah View Post
Can you give us a quick review of it..Quality, subtitles etc.?
Other posters have confirmed that the subtitles are removable. There are only Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitle options.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
-

I received quite a few PMs about this specific release.

The Baby of Macon is also getting a release in Denmark on September 21. It will be the same transfer, same language/subtitle options, and slightly cheaper than the Swedish release. You could (pre)order here:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...=1278450034831

The vendor is reliable and the service to the U.S. excellent.

p.s.
Also, if you reside in the U.S./Canada and still wish to purchase the Swedish release, you could do so via Megastore.se. Direct link:

http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=2236408

The disc is not in stock, but it ships in 2-4 days.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-31-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #12

Nov 2008

Baby of Macon for 99 SEK excl. shipping (Approx. $13)!

Goooo!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #13

Aug 2010

Quote:
Other posters have confirmed that the subtitles are removable. There are only Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish subtitle options.
This is correct. I haven't had time to watch the whole thing yet, but from what I have seen, I think that this is a rather good transfer. Strong colours, not much grain. On some shots the picture appears to be little on the soft side (on the sides, or the whole picture). But since this varies from shot to shot, I am inclined to think that this has more to do with the original film master and the cameras and lenses that were used to shoot it.

The disc does not contain any extras. Oh, and I get not time display on the front panel on of my players during playback.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit22 View Post
This is correct. I haven't had time to watch the whole thing yet, but from what I have seen, I think that this is a rather good transfer. Strong colours, not much grain. On some shots the picture appears to be little on the soft side (on the sides, or the whole picture). But since this varies from shot to shot, I am inclined to think that this has more to do with the original film master and the cameras and lenses that were used to shoot it.

The disc does not contain any extras. Oh, and I get not time display on the front panel on of my players during playback.
received an email from Megastore that my copy of Baby of Macon (and Propsero's Books) just got sent out to me - can't wait!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #15

Jan 2010
Interzone

Quote:
received an email from Megastore that my copy of Baby of Macon (and Propsero's Books) just got sent out to me - can't wait!
I just received an email from Laserdisken that mine shipped.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #16
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Hmmph! So it would seem they are sourcing copies for individual orders and not gathering multiple copies?! I hadn't ordered because I don't see cover art and it always claims "Not in Stock: 2-4 working days". Bad business!

Last edited by McCrutchy; 09-02-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #17

Nov 2007

Quote:
Whoah!!..i thought that PROSPERO'S BOOKS wasn't out on BLU-RAy only DVD? Is this not the case? Is it available after all?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #18
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghidorah View Post
Whoah!!..i thought that PROSPERO'S BOOKS wasn't out on BLU-RAy only DVD? Is this not the case? Is it available after all?
Dubstar must have purchased the new DVD of Prospero's Books and the BD of The Baby of Mācon.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:54 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

oops, sorry yes, Prospero's Books on DVD, not bluray

will someone PLEASE (... please) release Prospero on blu - ugh I can't stand it any longer - who the hell owns the video rights in the UK (or US for that matter - is it Fox, Image or Miramax???)

(this screams out a Criterion release, but Criterion has never mentioned any interest in Greenaway's films)

Last edited by Dubstar; 09-03-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Hmmph! So it would seem they are sourcing copies for individual orders and not gathering multiple copies?! I hadn't ordered because I don't see cover art and it always claims "Not in Stock: 2-4 working days". Bad business!
that didn't stop me in the slightest in just putting in an order and seeing what happened.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Tags
baby of macon, greenaway, macon, peter greenaway