Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Charlie's Angels 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.99
 
Charlie's Angels: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
€14.99
 
Knives Out (Blu-ray)
€8.99
 
Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.99
 
Charlie's Angels (Blu-ray)
€11.99
 
Gemini Man (Blu-ray)
€12.50
 
The Secret Life of Pets 2-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€20.00
 
Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
€15.50
 
Charlie's Angels (Blu-ray)
€8.99
 
Spider-Man: Far from Home (Blu-ray)
€8.99
 
Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.04
5 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 3D (Blu-ray)
€12.50
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
Bonzi Bonzi is offline
Senior Member
 
Bonzi's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
10
1307
3
1
4
Default Sony releases

I noticed Sony released a bunch of titles:
Suddenly, Last Summer
Robin and Marian
Body Double
The Collector
Born Yesterday
The Talk of the Town
Murder by Death
Picnic
Holiday
Anatomy of Murder

etc.

How is the picture quality on those? Are there any extras?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
mrkoernchen mrkoernchen is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2016
Default

So far, picture quality is very good, but all the foreign language dubs are on the wrong pitch level (DVD/PAL Pitched).

English Audio should be allright on all releases.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #3
Bonzi Bonzi is offline
Senior Member
 
Bonzi's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
10
1307
3
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkoernchen View Post
So far, picture quality is very good, but all the foreign language dubs are on the wrong pitch level (DVD/PAL Pitched).

English Audio should be allright on all releases.
Would list the titles that you got, please? Also, are there any extras on those releases?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

I'd really like to know if In Cold Blood features the latest 4k restoration or not... anyone got it?
Also, how about Bell, Book and Candle, Allen's Husbands and Wives and Sirk's Written on the Wind (with Universal, this one)?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
thebrid (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
AndyMT AndyMT is offline
Member
 
May 2007
Default

bell, book & candle is fantastic. must be from a 4k master. a few soft shots and sometimes the colour goes a bit strange, but all related to source. can't recommend this one enough.

Gilda is another good one, although a few bumps. some noticeable scratches and some dithering.

I have husbands and wives but haven't watched - although manhattan murder mystery is very good - so given the general quality of output from sony, i imagine this is just as good.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RCRochester (05-16-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMT View Post
bell, book & candle is fantastic. must be from a 4k master. a few soft shots and sometimes the colour goes a bit strange, but all related to source. can't recommend this one enough.

Gilda is another good one, although a few bumps. some noticeable scratches and some dithering.

I have husbands and wives but haven't watched - although manhattan murder mystery is very good - so given the general quality of output from sony, i imagine this is just as good.
Thanks for posting, I'll definitely try some of these out!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #7
deckard82 deckard82 is offline
Senior Member
 
deckard82's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Germany
Default

I was wondering the same thing. I'm interested in Holiday, The Talk Of The Town, Bell, Book & Candle and Anatomy Of A Murder. Sounds like the Spanish Sony stuff is good. Thanks, folks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
AndyMT AndyMT is offline
Member
 
May 2007
Default

finally got to see husbands and wives. quality is OK. i feel strongly this is the DVD master. has a dated appearance. details are mushy in background, some sharpening, grain is reasonably resolved but not the best, some crazy telecine wobble on the start credits. it's perfectly fine and looks pretty good most of the time even close up. could be better is how i'd conclude. for 15 EUROs, it's a bit of an ouch. if you can hold out till it's a bit cheaper, if ever, i'd do that.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Dan8700 (04-03-2019), thebrid (03-30-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Pecker Pecker is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Yorkshire
Default

Manhattan Murder Mystery here:

https://www.amazon.es/Misterioso-Ase...r=8-1-fkmrnull

Surely they'll use the same master as for Twilight Time, won't they?

Looks completely kosher, says Sony on the back, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

On May 3, Sony will add Cassavetes' masterpiece Husbands to their catalog. Unfortunately, I reckon it will be the European (shorter) cut (in fact, Amazon sez 131', not 142'). Anyway, relevant release.

edit: can anyone comment on Anatomy of a Murder? Does it use the same dated master appeared on the Criterion release or is it a new scan?

Last edited by Dan8700; 04-14-2019 at 06:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #11
murphywmm murphywmm is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada
2811
63
5
1
Default

Has anybody seen "Holiday" or "Little Foxes"?

The one review for "Holiday" on amazon.es isn't flattering - "Poor transfer for a Sony/Columbia blu-ray"

Interesting that Sony is releasing all of these titles in Spain.

EDIT: Found a post with some screenshots of "Holiday". It does look terrible!
http://www.mundodvd.com/blu-ray-vivi...-cukor-149073/

Last edited by murphywmm; 04-18-2019 at 05:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
Has anybody seen "Holiday" or "Little Foxes"?

The one review for "Holiday" on amazon.es isn't flattering - "Poor transfer for a Sony/Columbia blu-ray"

Interesting that Sony is releasing all of these titles in Spain.

EDIT: Found a post with some screenshots of "Holiday". It does look terrible!
http://www.mundodvd.com/blu-ray-vivi...-cukor-149073/
Yeah, Holiday is awful, it seems. Little Foxes is basically an upscale of the old DVD master (found a comment days ago in the same forum), so I wouldn't recommend it.

In the meanwhile, I ordered the two Woody Allens from Amazon.es (2x24€ offer), so I'll post CAPS when they arrive.

Last edited by Dan8700; 04-18-2019 at 09:39 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

So, I received the two Allens (Husbands and Wives and Manhattan Murder Mystery) and I have to say I'm pleased, after all.
Both are 100% Sony official discs, both have been encoded on a BD-25 (about 23,5 GB each) and both are ABC.
The master used for Husbands and Wives is definitely old: there's no fine grain, detail is only ok, colours are not always convincing - but remember this has a peculiar cinematography, so it could be intentional. I don't see a full resto coming, and this is night and day from the Sony DVD anyway, as you can see.
Manhattan Murder Mystery is very, very good, but I don't own it on DVD, so no comparison here... enjoy.
Obviously, there are no extras whatsoever.

Husbands and Wives
DVD (left) vs BD (right)




______________________________
Manhattan Murder Mystery


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 AM   #14
John_Drake John_Drake is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
John_Drake's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
1
2709
76
Default

Can anyone comment on the PQ for Talk of the Town?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
Pecker Pecker is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Yorkshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan8700 View Post
So, I received the two Allens (Husbands and Wives and Manhattan Murder Mystery) and I have to say I'm pleased, after all.
Both are 100% Sony official discs, both have been encoded on a BD-25 (about 23,5 GB each) and both are ABC.
The master used for Husbands and Wives is definitely old: there's no fine grain, detail is only ok, colours are not always convincing - but remember this has a peculiar cinematography, so it could be intentional. I don't see a full resto coming, and this is night and day from the Sony DVD anyway, as you can see.
Manhattan Murder Mystery is very, very good, but I don't own it on DVD, so no comparison here... enjoy.
Obviously, there are no extras whatsoever.

Husbands and Wives
DVD (left) vs BD (right)




______________________________
Manhattan Murder Mystery


Regarding Husbands and Wives, I've not seen this before (don't know why I never got round to it).


There's some discussion as to the look of the film here:

http://www.woodyallenpages.com/films...nds-and-wives/

It'd be interesting to see comparisons with the Twilight Time release.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
thebrid (05-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post
It'd be interesting to see comparisons with the Twilight Time release.
See it as soon as you can, mate, it's one of his best efforts... I'd be glad to do a comparison with the TT disc, but I can't find any caps at all...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Pecker (05-05-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
Pecker Pecker is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Yorkshire
Default

Screencaps of the Twilight Time Blu-ray of Husbands and Wives, if it's any help.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...ands-And-Wives
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
RCRochester RCRochester is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RCRochester's Avatar
 
Sep 2017
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzi View Post
I noticed Sony released a bunch of titles:
Suddenly, Last Summer
Robin and Marian
Body Double
The Collector
Born Yesterday
The Talk of the Town
Murder by Death
Picnic
Holiday
Anatomy of Murder

etc.

How is the picture quality on those? Are there any extras?
I have seen a copy of PICNIC. PQ is good, same as the OOP Twilight Time release. The cover art was cheap though, same kind of laserprinter looking cover art you find on the Warner Archive releases, and if you looked closely at the spine where the title was you could see wording from the template they used to create the art (and yes, this was the official Sony release purchased through Amazon Spain).

Avoid the Sony release of Man Who Would Be King though, the Sony releases of this use a different master than the Warner release from the USA and the PQ is much poorer. There is a comparison on Caps-a-Holic... the Spanish release is the same transfer as the German release used in those comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
Has anybody seen "Holiday" or "Little Foxes"?

The one review for "Holiday" on amazon.es isn't flattering - "Poor transfer for a Sony/Columbia blu-ray"

Interesting that Sony is releasing all of these titles in Spain.

EDIT: Found a post with some screenshots of "Holiday". It does look terrible!
http://www.mundodvd.com/blu-ray-vivi...-cukor-149073/
I'm guessing that it's a way to undercut all of the bootlegs they have. Spain is the only market where Sony have released Bell Book & Candle and it's probably because there is a Spanish bootleg that people kept buying because the Twilight Time release is OOP and going for high prices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
Dan8700 Dan8700 is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2011
Rome, Italy
7
1041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecker View Post
Screencaps of the Twilight Time Blu-ray of Husbands and Wives, if it's any help.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/c...ands-And-Wives
Ta! Caps matched. The TT is totally black-crushed, basically all the detail is gone. And contrast boosting even affects whites... There are many low-lit scenes and interiors where you can see nothing. I'll always trust Sony more than any other label, tbh... Grain structure is a tad better, but not great anyway. Absolutely go for the Sony, I'd say, you can do a much better grading yourself without ruining the print (if one wants to obtain that palette).

Husbands and Wives
Twilight Time (left) vs Sony (right)

  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Pecker (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #20
Pecker Pecker is offline
Power Member
 
Jun 2011
Yorkshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan8700 View Post
Ta! Caps matched. The TT is totally black-crushed, basically all the detail is gone. And contrast boosting even affects whites... There are many low-lit scenes and interiors where you can see nothing. I'll always trust Sony more than any other label, tbh... Grain structure is a tad better, but not great anyway. Absolutely go for the Sony, I'd say, you can do a much better grading yourself without ruining the print (if one wants to obtain that palette).

Husbands and Wives
Twilight Time (left) vs Sony (right)

Oh, that's poor.

The black crush on her hair in the bottom right comparisonů

The general 'texture' appears similar.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:00 PM.