Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Magic Flute (Blu-ray)
$27.37
7 hrs ago
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.96
12 hrs ago
Judgment Night (Blu-ray)
$17.99
2 hrs ago
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

First Man (Blu-ray)
$19.99
11 hrs ago
Instant Family (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Kung Fu Panda: 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Girl in the Spider's Web (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #1121

Apr 2011
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Beam View Post
In my first week as a Hammer newbie, I've watched DRACULA, THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY (On Demand; I couldn't wait to resolve my seller dispute over the Blu-ray fiasco described earlier) and THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (which looks kinda shitty on the Mill Creek Blu-ray, but it's the only HD option as far as I can tell). Tonight... THE BRIDES OF DRACULA. Or maybe THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF. Or maybe both.

My meager collection (so far):

Attachment 214034
Great job so far. Let us know how you find Werewolf and Brides, both incredible Hammer.
I'd also strongly recommend The Hound of baskervilles. The twilight time edition is wonderful and you can get it really cheap right now on screen archives for only 14.95$!, a steal at this price: https://www1.screenarchives.com

Its top 5 Hammer material, starring the 3 best Hammer actors (Cushing, Lee and Morell) and directed by Fisher. You don't get much better than that!
The Gorgon is also worth it (mind you the Mill creek blu ray is paired with the very average Two faces of dr. jekyll). Gorgon has the holy trinity too (Cushing, Lee and Fisher).
Oh and don't forget to watch in your Universal Hammer box set both Night creatures (with Cushing at his most badass) and the best non-Dracula Hammer movie (and the movie that inspired Polanski's wonderful Hammer comedy, The fearless vampire killer), Kiss of the vampire!

Last edited by fred25_Ca; 12-22-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #1122
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred25_Ca View Post
Haha, at this price its a steal. I do wish Brides was separate since i also like having a whole series put together (nearly all of the Hammer Dracula are out on blu ray now) but lately i've been putting all of my Hammer movies in chronological order. It turns out that all of the Universal movies in the box set came out in succession, so it works out pretty well.
It's a neat idea but I like having all the various "monsters" together, i.e. Universal's Dracula, then Hammer's, then the Coppola masterpiece. Same for Frankenstein and Mummy. I'll probably store the Universal set as Brides of Dracula, since I have Evil of Franky separately.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:25 PM   #1123

May 2013
upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's a neat idea but I like having all the various "monsters" together, i.e. Universal's Dracula, then Hammer's, then the Coppola masterpiece. Same for Frankenstein and Mummy. I'll probably store the Universal set as Brides of Dracula, since I have Evil of Franky separately.
Coppola masterpiece? really? not a fan of that movie for the most part. it has it's moments but overall i was hugely disappointed with it when if first came out.
Thanks given by:
benedictopacifico (12-23-2018), Michael24 (12-22-2018), Professor Echo (12-23-2018), startrekkin58 (12-25-2018), SuperFlyHighGuy (12-23-2018), The Batman Professor (12-23-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:09 PM   #1124

Apr 2011
Montreal

I'll second StingingVelvet and say the Coppola version is a masterpiece. A loving letter not just to vampire movies but also film history. I'd say the best Dracula movies are (in order for me) Nosferatu, Bram Stoker's Dracula and third Horror of Dracula. All 3 I consider masterpieces. I also have a soft spot for the Nosferatu remake! Somehow, even if I love Lugosi and his portrayal of Dracula, I've never cared much for the 1931 version. I think the ultimate Lugosi portrayal of Dracula is in A&C meet Frankenstein.

Last edited by fred25_Ca; 12-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (12-23-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #1125
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobbbo View Post
Coppola masterpiece? really? not a fan of that movie for the most part. it has it's moments but overall i was hugely disappointed with it when if first came out.
Yeah, I've seen it twice now and don't care for it. It looks great and has a good cast but otherwise doesn't do anything for me.
Thanks given by:
monwobbbo (12-22-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #1126

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred25_Ca View Post
Great job so far. Let us know how you find Werewolf and Brides, both incredible Hammer.
I'd also strongly recommend The Hound of baskervilles. The twilight time edition is wonderful and you can get it really cheap right now on screen archives for only 14.95$!, a steal at this price: https://www1.screenarchives.com
I just ordered it. Thanks for the tip! I quite enjoyed BRIDES OF DRACULA...!
Thanks given by:
fred25_Ca (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #1127

Apr 2011
Montreal

Quote:
I just ordered it. Thanks for the tip! I quite enjoyed BRIDES OF DRACULA...!
Awesome, hope you like it! Cushing is, aside from Basil Rathbone, the second best Sherlock of all time, imo.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #1128
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobbbo View Post
Hell yes it's a masterpiece and easily my favorite gothic horror of all time. By like miles. It's probably in my top 50 movies of all time.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #1129

Dec 2018
Default LUST FOR A VAMPIRE - Blu Ray

LUST FOR A VAMPIRE is a classic film with beautiful scenery, costumes and actors. The castle and the village settings are breathtaking. Vivid colors deserve to be shown on Blu Ray. Wonderful script, creepy and romantic. The most underrated Hammer film. A true cult classic (or actually, just a true classic). Why can't I find LUST FOR A VAMPIRE when I search the Blu Ray website for this movie? It needs to be added and, hopefully, released on Blu Ray.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (12-24-2018), Hedji (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:10 PM   #1130
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015
Great White North

^^ Lust isn't in the db because it has not been released on Blu yet.
There is a less than stellar dvd out in the wild but like most, I'm hoping for a blu release before I'm dead.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #1131
Banned

Dec 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlers View Post
LUST FOR A VAMPIRE is a classic film with beautiful scenery, costumes and actors......
...and a naff song which I think accounts for most of its lesser reputation.
But as there are far worse Hammer movies yet to appear I think LFAV will turn up at some point
Old 12-24-2018, 12:19 AM   #1132
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlers View Post
LUST FOR A VAMPIRE is a classic film with beautiful scenery, costumes and actors. The castle and the village settings are breathtaking. Vivid colors deserve to be shown on Blu Ray. Wonderful script, creepy and romantic. The most underrated Hammer film. A true cult classic (or actually, just a true classic). Why can't I find LUST FOR A VAMPIRE when I search the Blu Ray website for this movie? It needs to be added and, hopefully, released on Blu Ray.
Jimmy Sangster’s ghost, is that you?
Thanks given by:
PrestonXI (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 04:00 AM   #1133
Special Member

Jan 2015

The song may not work as a "song" in the film with lyrics, but the melody by Harry Robinson is haunting and appropriately gothic. Lust For A Vampire may not be taken as seriously as other gothic Hammer vampire efforts, but it deserves far better than it gets.
Thanks given by:
Mister Showman (12-28-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #1134
Special Member

Oct 2010
north star

It's actually my most-wanted Hammer title that I've yet to see, hopefully it gets a release soon.
Thanks given by:
Hedji (12-27-2018), Mister Showman (12-28-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #1135

May 2011

Now I'm eight films into the Hammer catalogue:

THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT
DRACULA
THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
THE MUMMY
BRIDES OF DRACULA
THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN
THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF
THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB

...And I am still 100% LOVING it. Honestly, I can't believe I waited so long (49 years!) to dig into these films.

I do have a question though: why haven't the monster-specific films ever been collected, like the Universal Monsters? Why isn't there a Dracula collection, Frankenstein collection, etc.? Are there rights issues?

Next up: THE NIGHT CREATURES and FOUR-SIDED TRIANGLE.
Thanks given by:
fred25_Ca (12-25-2018), glennstl (12-27-2018), Mister Showman (12-28-2018), Mr. Thomsen (12-25-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:19 PM   #1136

Nov 2018

Quote:
I am SO pissed. Apparently the 3-disc and extras-heavy UK Lionsgate edition of THE MUMMY is out of print and really hard to find.... but I found one, on Amazon of all places, from a third party seller. Paid $29.00 plus shipping, which was more than I wanted to spend but I *really* wanted it (I already have the similar editions of DRACULA and THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN). It arrived today.... a standard one-disc Canadian edition, which appears identical to the US edition, worth $15 at best. No extras, just a flippin' trailer. I requested a refund (naturally), but that doesn't do anything to actually get me the edition I want.

Strange that this one is so hard to get (there's one used copy on Amazon.uk right now... for £49.99!). The other UK Lionsgates are easy to find and cheap. What the hell?
I'm on the same boat with you,I really wanted this for the extras.Hopefully there is a chance that the German company Anolis will re-release it like they did with their extended Dracula edition which has all the extras from the UK blu.Amazon de has great prices if you are region free,I just bought the 7 film set for 36 euros (highly recommended) and the Hammer House of Horror series with the Heritage of horror doc for 25.Too bad that those Warner releases don't port the extras over though,it would save people for lot of trouble.
Thanks given by:
Craig Beam (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #1137
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
I do have a question though: why haven't the monster-specific films ever been collected, like the Universal Monsters? Why isn't there a Dracula collection, Frankenstein collection, etc.? Are there rights issues?

Most likely because Hammer changed business partners many times over the years, so the rights to the individual titles are spread among several companies.

It would be cool if somebody could do boxes for each series like Scream Factory did for the Halloween franchise (which also involved several companies working together). But chances are it is never going to happen. Their classic status aside, I would wager the Hammer movies today sell much less and have less name recognition than a Halloween box, and I cannot really see anybody go through the hassle and try to negotiate rights between all the different rights owners to make it happen.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #1138
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Man, I wish every Hammer movie on blu looked as good as Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell. What an overall stunning video presentation. Lovely. Movie is great, like all the Frankenstein ones. Cushing owns that role and they're so playful and cynical, it's lovely.

Also re-watched Curse of the Werewolf... still not much of a fan of that movie. Oh well.
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #1139
Special Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Man, I wish every Hammer movie on blu looked as good as Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell. What an overall stunning video presentation. Lovely. Movie is great, like all the Frankenstein ones. Cushing owns that role and they're so playful and cynical, it's lovely.
In the 70's and 80's FATMFH was the most difficult Hammer Film to see uncut on home video. Up until I believe the old Anolis DVD around 15 years ago, the only way to see the movie uncut was the very old and extremely rare, faded, grainy Japanese laserdisc with burned in Japanese subtitles. I think I paid well over $100 for mine from a collector and ripped one key scene to YouTube years ago as seen here on my YT page. These days, it looks like a crummy bootleg compared to the UK and German Blu-ray releases:

Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (12-27-2018), StingingVelvet (12-27-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America