Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Mary Queen of Scots 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.61

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Reign of the Supermen 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
7 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.90

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.38

The Matrix Revolutions 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.38

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #481
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
Sorry, but nits donít matter. New LG TVs at 900+ nits are 10 times brighter than projected film at a movie theater.
Ignoring your fanboy rambling and focusing on this... that doesn't really matter. You're not watching a film print at home, you're watching a disc mastered to a particular level of nits. Getting as close to the level of nits said disc is mastered for DOES matter. Even OLED loving tech experts will tell you this, so you only look silly denying it.

OLEDs are wonderful and likely the best overall display tech for most people, but you guys sound like cult members when you deny they are not perfect. I'm fully willing to admit the limitations of my set, and you should be too.
Thanks given by:
Colson (01-09-2019), DR Herbert West (12-27-2018), fuzzymctiger (12-27-2018), Geoff D (12-27-2018), grodd (01-01-2019), philochs (12-31-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:52 AM   #482
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Ignoring your fanboy rambling and focusing on this... that doesn't really matter. You're not watching a film print at home, you're watching a disc mastered to a particular level of nits. Getting as close to the level of nits said disc is mastered for DOES matter. Even OLED loving tech experts will tell you this, so you only look silly denying it.

OLEDs are wonderful and likely the best overall display tech for most people, but you guys sound like cult members when you deny they are not perfect. I'm fully willing to admit the limitations of my set, and you should be too.
Nowhere have I said it was perfect and Iím fully aware of OLEDís limitations. But Iíll say it again, nits are absolutely irrelevant and a joke as an argument. Instead of nits and 8K, I wish TV manufacturers would focus on motion. Get 24fps right and OLED will practically be indistinguishable from 35mm projected film.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:01 AM   #483
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (12-27-2018), fuzzymctiger (12-27-2018), StingingVelvet (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #484
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Quote:
Nowhere have I said it was perfect and Iím fully aware of OLEDís limitations. But Iíll say it again, nits are absolutely irrelevant and a joke as an argument. Instead of nits and 8K, I wish TV manufacturers would focus on motion. Get 24fps right and OLED will practically be indistinguishable from 35mm projected film.
Film can do near black and better colour reproduction
Old 12-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #485
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
2014 called, it wants you back.

Passive 3D was full res 1080p on 4K sets before it was dropped entirely. So that includes the early 4K OLEDs.
It's 4k upscaled per eye on active sets...
Old 12-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #486
Expert Member

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
Close enough. Closer than any LCD could ever dream of.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #487

Jan 2016
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
2014 called, it wants you back.

Passive 3D was full res 1080p on 4K sets before it was dropped entirely. So that includes the early 4K OLEDs.
Well, you beat me to it.
Btw, this is great, just like being back in the schoolyard

p.s. I've edited a minor typo, before I get flak from the grammar police
Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #488
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
OLED’s can do near black. Some have bad banding, some don’t. My last 4K LED had terrible DSE that was visible all the time. My OLED has hardly any banding near black.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #489

Dec 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
What TV are you watching it on, dennett?
Hi, sorry I didn't get back on here sooner. I've got an LG 55B7.
The thing that's thrown me is I've watched 4K blu rays with plenty of dark shadowy scenes, and I've not noticed anything like what I've seen on this Fog disc. The worst issue I've seen is with the film grain on The Matrix looking a little swarmy at times, blacks have been fine.

My screen isn't perfect. If you bring up a grey vertical banding test, there is some there, but it's not noticeable during 99% of normal use, so it doesn't bother me. This effect on The Fog was immediately noticeable, and ruinous to the scene at times. When Tom Atkins and JLC are on the Sea Grass and talking things over, the use of shadow produces a horrible example of the effect, and it covers most of the scene. I'll try to get some half decent pictures or video of it.

I was using the Technicolor Expert HDR preset, and the effect was there on other presets as well. I'm not sure what could be changed to eliminate it.

Last edited by dennett316; 12-27-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: extra details
Old 12-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #490

Dec 2018

Just tried to get footage of it, but my crappy mobile camera isn't up to it, just doesn't show up.

Watching it during the day, with a bit more light in the room, the effect is diminished but it's still there. It's like a film of grey over the deep black underneath, and it seems to be shifting back and forth between two shapes within the black...not swirling like film grain. It's hard to describe without being able to show it.

I still tend to lean towards a disc issue, or some HDR setting on there, rather than a general OLED fault, because I've not seen the effect on comparable material. Dark scenes in It, Evil Dead 1 and 2 and movies like Jurassic Park, Black Panther, Starship Troopers and the like...and I've not seen anything like this issue.

Just noticed the artefacts within the fog itself as well, that I didn't notice first time, so that's even more of a bummer.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #491
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2018

Quote:
Close enough. Closer than any LCD could ever dream of.
Nope, there is a reason Sony had to develop a filter for colour issues on their first Goldstar rebadge
Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #492
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
DLP is the only that truly nails motion IMO.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 AM   #493
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Watched today. Yeah the compression is pretty bad. That aside it’s a nice looking release.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #494
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

I received this for Christmas and as I mentioned in the other thread my CD is heavily scuffed/scratched and the booklet has a number of badly creased/folded pages that were crumpled when they tried to jam it into the over-tight slipbox at the factory.

I sent 2 emails in the past week to info@studiocanal.co.uk but as I'm in the US I don't know if they will even respond or if they will help me. Maybe this is the wrong email for such issues but it's the only email I could find. Zavvi can't help as they are out of stock now - they issued a 15% refund but that doesn't help replace my damaged CD and booklet. I guess I'm stuck with a ruined CD and booklet. Likely the last time I buy a special edition like this from Studio Canal since they can't even bother to respond to my emails.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies