Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Galaxy Express 999: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$24.18
16 hrs ago
Hentai Heaven Collection: Volume 5 (Blu-ray)
$25.70
17 hrs ago
Hunter x Hunter: The Last Mission (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mirai (Blu-ray)
$21.74

High School DxD New: The Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
8 hrs ago
DARLING in the FRANXX: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Lu Over the Wall (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Joker Game: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.35

Handa-kun: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.35

Burst Angel: Complete Series Essentials (Blu-ray)
$26.94

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On - Season One, Part One (Blu-ray)
$39.55

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 AM   #81
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Anime now is made for just anime fans. That's the problem. If you have your inspiration from past anime, where do you go but appealing to a guaranteed market? There needs to be more outside sources, and more effort in making them stand out not as anime, but as good works of film/television.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (01-06-2019), OutOfBoose (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #82

Jul 2015
Flat earth, upper Left hand Corner:)

Vampire Hunter D, Blue Force, Unico in the island of magic. Are my top 3...
Old 01-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #83
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
US

Jeez. This thread sure turned opinionated. Guess I'm just glad to be an anime fan instead of crying for the old days.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #84

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
Jeez. This thread sure turned opinionated. Guess I'm just glad to be an anime fan instead of crying for the old days.
That's called nostalgia
Personally I vastly prefer the 80's, 90's and even early 00's to contemporary anime. I don't like the content, drawing style; I just don't care for it. I wish I could get into it, but almost all shows I sampled were crap (Imo).
It's too bad that most of the ova's from the 80's / 90's will never be released on blu, especially the one off's. Hell, there are a lot that haven't even been released on DVD.
It's about time I get my LD player fixed.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:07 AM   #85

Dec 2015

I'll never understand why people try to hate all Slice of Life genre. They need to watch the good stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion, Planetes Welcome to the Nhk, Yuru Camp, Aria, Girl's last tour, Non Non Biyori etc... Even if you have a distaste for cute girls slice of life you have some mature ones around.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #86

Jan 2012

I still remember the sheer awe of Akira when it reached American theaters. My older brother went and saw it at Camera Cinema in downtown San Jose, CA. When he got home he spoke on and on about it and told me I HAD to go see it ASAP! The sheer amount of detail that was put into it far surpassed what we had seen in Robotech or Star Blazers. I stopped watching anime (for the most part) after Cowboy Bebop came out. All that seemed to follow were poorly animated, sparsely detailed, kids cartoons.

Nowadays, both my brother and myself find current live action films far better than the anime/manga versions of the same. Black Butler, Assassination Classroom, etc... hell, I even liked The Last Airbender movie far more than the anime.

I wouldn't refuse to watch a new anime though, I'm just not going to seek it out.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellspawn28 View Post
I can't get into newer anime from the last 10+ years because they are either Shonen (anime & manga for kids and teens) or they try too hard to pander to the Otaku/Weeaboo audience. I find anime that pander so hard to the Otaku/Weeaboo audience to be the worst because they make the shows so obnoxious to watch. Something like Darling In The Franxx is pretty much Otaku bait with its waifu themes and characters.

I'm not saying that there are no good anime titles these days. There is plenty of anime from the last 10 years that I love like Tiger & Bunny, Psycho-Pass, Devilman Crybaby, Redline, Hyouge Mono, Miss Hokusai, Bunny Drop, The Tatami Galaxy, Death Parade, and a few others, but those feel like gold in a shitstack. With those anime, I feel like they are made with an adult general audience in mind, not Otakus or the younger audience. The reason why anime titles like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, Perfect Blue, Robot Carnival, and several other were big titles back in the '90s in America because they felt like they can be enjoyed by anyone, not just kids or otakus/weebs. I know people who don't like anime that enjoy stuff like Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll and Akira.
I feel you. You just want more new Seinen anime. That's what got me into anime in the first place too. While I feel like there are many very strong recent shonen series, new seinen shows are few and far-between. Several other forum members here would agree as well.

I honestly don't understand why there is so much slice of life, moe, chibi, cgdct, and especially school life anime. Apparently that's what most of the market wants. I get tired of it and it's so samey. The sheer volume of this type of stuff is overwhelming. You are not the only one that is consistently craving adult themes, gore, sci-fi, and high fantasy.

The amount of school life anime getting published in America is enough to make your head spin. Apparently everyone wants to re-live high school again with a do-over.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #88
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperb21 View Post
I'll never understand why people try to hate all Slice of Life genre. They need to watch the good stuff like 3-gatsu no Lion, Planetes Welcome to the Nhk, Yuru Camp, Aria, Girl's last tour, Non Non Biyori etc... Even if you have a distaste for cute girls slice of life you have some mature ones around.
Because it's everywhere and it has infested everything. Compare the amount of SOL titles getting published to the number of mature seninen shows being made and there's an astronomical difference. Yet hundreds of new shows are getting cranked out each year. The casual, mature anime crowd can't even find new shows to watch and I empathize.

It seems like the animated TV show industry in Japan isn't willing to take any risks for the mature demographic. They mostly want to play it safe and cater to general audiences.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #89

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
Because it's everywhere and it has infested everything. Compare the amount of SOL titles getting published to the number of mature seninen shows being made and there's an astronomical difference. Yet hundreds of new shows are getting cranked out each year. The casual, mature anime crowd can't even find new shows to watch and I empathize.

It seems like the animated TV show industry in Japan isn't willing to take any risks for the mature demographic. They mostly want to play it safe and cater to general audiences.
I think another problem is length. Most series now getting 12-13 episodes which isn't good for Mecha anime for example. Which really needs at least a full 24. Great for those crash grab/shitty light novel adaptations....
Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #90

Feb 2015
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00mM4r1n3 View Post
Nowadays, both my brother and myself find current live action films far better than the anime/manga versions of the same. Black Butler, Assassination Classroom, etc... hell, I even liked The Last Airbender movie far more than the anime.
You cannot be serious. I can definitely see your point for many other anime vs live action shows, but that one is just a straight up insult. You are quite literally the only person on earth who thinks this. Even if by some force you donít like Avatar, in comparison The Last Airbender is a far worse, actual trash adaptation, which is why it got dropped from having any sequels to complete the movie series.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #91
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroshi View Post
That's called nostalgia
Personally I vastly prefer the 80's, 90's and even early 00's to contemporary anime. I don't like the content, drawing style; I just don't care for it. I wish I could get into it, but almost all shows I sampled were crap (Imo).
It's too bad that most of the ova's from the 80's / 90's will never be released on blu, especially the one off's. Hell, there are a lot that haven't even been released on DVD.
It's about time I get my LD player fixed.
Blaming nostalgia is dismissing the quality of anime works from pre-digital era.

I also think that 80s and 90s anime gets slowly released on blu-ray. Soon Kawajiri will get plenty of love - Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City and Cyber City OEDO 808. Gunsmith Cats will arrive in March or so... I'm hoping for Golden Boy and Onizuka getting some love on blu too. That being said, not everything deserves that kind of treatment. 80s and 90s had plenty of junk.

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 01-04-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (01-04-2019), zenpai (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #92
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Just get a region free player, guys. Simplest answer.

It may come here eventually, but who knows...

The reason anime releases are pretty much always region locked is because of contractual obligations laid out by the Japanese licensor.
Anime played a large part in my going region free and these were the first two releases I bought from Region A.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #93
Special Member

Mar 2016
You will have to find me to figure that out!

The title of this thread certainly shines light onto people feelings towards Anime. Personally, I’m a complete novice, but I think it depends on what you think. Anime in the 80’s/90’s period is different to the 2000’s period, which itself is different to our current period! Whether the difference is in quality is up to you, but the industry has changed. Anime (to me) is caught in the middle ground between mainstream and obscurity, and I’m fine with that. When we think mainstream media (e.g. Hollywood), there seems to be a somewhat negative tag to it, things being “dumbed down for mainstream”. In the land of obscurity, an “anything goes” vibe attaches. For Anime to be “mainstream”, the content would have to be bent towards a wider social norm. So where we are at, I’m fine. Anime is still able to do things that mainstream media wouldn’t ever dream of doing. (Russ Meyer is long gone, so someone has to take up the duty of big breasts!) It’s big enough to be accessed, but small enough to be personal.

If it’s a good anime, I’m fine. Everyone has their own eccentric tastes in media, so whatever is good is up to you and you only, regardless of where it has come from.
Thanks given by:
kk1 (01-04-2019), nadsat (01-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #94

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Anime now is made for just anime fans. That's the problem. If you have your inspiration from past anime, where do you go but appealing to a guaranteed market? There needs to be more outside sources, and more effort in making them stand out not as anime, but as good works of film/television.
It's the reason why people like Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell), Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira), and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll) don't direct anime anymore because there is no market for their anime anymore. I think modern Shonen and Otaku/Weeb driven shows is why most people get to turn off by anime and manga these days.

There's many that I can introduce an adult audience too that has not seen any anime before. Sure there is Psycho-Pass, and stuff from Masaaki Yuasa, but I wish there was more creative artist that will make stuff for a general audience in mind, not just stuff that only appeals to younger people (kids & teens) or the Hikikiomori Otakus that spend their whole day on sites like 2chan.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #95
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

Im always willing to give newer anime a chance, some I like enough to want to own, some I watch just once but most I loose interest in & never finish. I also prefer older anime but not all new anime is bad. My issue is im not a fan of all the fan service that goes on in a lot of the newer stuff (panty shots & stuff like that). I tried watching High School DxD & stopped after 2 episodes for example& don't get me started on Prison School. Its why I own so little anime compared to most on here. Im very picky about what I own. I use Funi Now, Hulu & Netflix to watch anime before I buy.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #96

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellspawn28 View Post
It's the reason why people like Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell), Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira), and Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll) don't direct anime anymore because there is no market for their anime anymore. I think modern Shonen and Otaku/Weeb driven shows is why most people get to turn off by anime and manga these days.

There's many that I can introduce an adult audience too that has not seen any anime before. Sure there is Psycho-Pass, and stuff from Masaaki Yuasa, but I wish there was more creative artist that will make stuff for a general audience in mind, not just stuff that only appeals to younger people (kids & teens) or the Hikikiomori Otakus that spend their whole day on sites like 2chan.
I got my dad (60+) to watch Akira one time. He was not thrilled.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (01-06-2019), portishead (01-06-2019), professorwho (01-06-2019), Shatterer (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #97

Apr 2012

I did show my Dad both Cowbebop and Golgo 13 because they both fit his taste in media. He enjoyed them because he is into thrillers. He has only seen the Pokemon anime movies, Digimon: The Movie and Metropolis (2001) because he had to sit through them with me as a kid in the theater.
Thanks given by:
Gorgon (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #98

Jan 2019

I really like the following...

Project A-Ko, Dominion Tank Police, Cutey Honey, Plastic Little, Legend of Lemnear, Vampire Hunter D, All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku, Battle Angel Alita, Magic Users Club, Hyper Police, Gunsmith Cats, The Dirty Pair, Dragon-Half, The Guyver, Ah/Oh! My Goddess, Card Capture Sakura, Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, Devil Hunter Yohko, Otaku No Video, Sorcerer Hunters, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, Demon City Shinjuku, Slayers, Lupin the 3rd, Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Nadia Secret of Blue Water, Jungle De Ikou, Ruin Explorers, and Outlanders.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #99
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
I got my dad (60+) to watch Akira one time. He was not thrilled.
Well, I too am well north of 60 and I love Akira. I don't think age has much to do with one's tastes if they have an open mind to trying new things.
If your father has a taste for a particular genre of film; i.e. westerns, noir, sci-fi, war/battle, comedy, fantasy etc I suspect you could easily find a few anime titles he would like.
I approach Anime with this mindset and each year I manage to find a few releases that assuredly pique my interest.
YMMV
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime