Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Skyscraper 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Mary Queen of Scots 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.61

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Reign of the Supermen 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
6 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.90

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.38

The Matrix Revolutions 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lion King 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.38

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #2761
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
In my theatre room

Watched again yesterday. The more I watch it the more I like the movie and PQ. One thing I noticed recently with some of the Disney titles is the audio isn’t as bad as I initially thought. I recalibrated my setup to the Schroeder frequency limiting EQ to 300hz and the dynamics are certainly there. It’s by no means a reference track, LFE is lacking but I enjoyed the top end quite a bit.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (01-06-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #2762

Jan 2011
North Hollywood, CA U.S.A. Earth

Got around to watching my copy that I picked up before the holidays. First the bad: I opened the case, pulled out the disc, and noticed a scratch on it already. %&*#! I hate stacked discs! So I pop it in and at just after the 13 minute mark, the image starts to break up and playback stutters for about 15 seconds, then it jumps forward about 45 more seconds and plays fine until around 1 hour 58 minutes, when it does the same thing. I'm assuming those two timestamps line up underneath one another beneath the scratch, just on different layers.

Now for the good: I saw this theatrically two times. I noted then that the cinematography was dark and, at least on a projector screen, frequently muddy. On my OLED, however, it looked great most of the time. Still dark, but not muddy except for a couple brief moments in the opening sequence and a couple times in the mines of Kessel. So that's a win for home viewing over the theatrical experience.

As far as content is concerned, I enjoyed it just as much the third time as I did the first two times. I'm currently doing a Star Wars marathon, watching all the movies in chronological order, so I just finished the prequel trilogy over the past couple days. I'd have to say, Solo is better than any of the prequel films, so I'm sad it won't get a sequel. Maybe they'll resolve some of the plot points in a future cartoon, as they laid some interesting groundwork.

Tomorrow will be Rogue One (3D), which will be followed over the subsequent few days by 4K77, ESB Despecialized Edition, 4K83, Force Awakens (3D), then I'll give Last Jedi in UHD a chance. Hopefully I enjoy TLJ more this time around.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #2763

Aug 2013
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
Got around to watching my copy that I picked up before the holidays. First the bad: I opened the case, pulled out the disc, and noticed a scratch on it already. %&*#! I hate stacked discs! So I pop it in and at just after the 13 minute mark, the image starts to break up and playback stutters for about 15 seconds, then it jumps forward about 45 more seconds and plays fine until around 1 hour 58 minutes, when it does the same thing. I'm assuming those two timestamps line up underneath one another beneath the scratch, just on different layers.

Now for the good: I saw this theatrically two times. I noted then that the cinematography was dark and, at least on a projector screen, frequently muddy. On my OLED, however, it looked great most of the time. Still dark, but not muddy except for a couple brief moments in the opening sequence and a couple times in the mines of Kessel. So that's a win for home viewing over the theatrical experience.

As far as content is concerned, I enjoyed it just as much the third time as I did the first two times. I'm currently doing a Star Wars marathon, watching all the movies in chronological order, so I just finished the prequel trilogy over the past couple days. I'd have to say, Solo is better than any of the prequel films, so I'm sad it won't get a sequel. Maybe they'll resolve some of the plot points in a future cartoon, as they laid some interesting groundwork.

Tomorrow will be Rogue One (3D), which will be followed over the subsequent few days by 4K77, ESB Despecialized Edition, 4K83, Force Awakens (3D), then I'll give Last Jedi in UHD a chance. Hopefully I enjoy TLJ more this time around.
I saw Solo in IMAX 3D and, while it was dark at times, I never thought it was too dark or muddy, but, that was on a 4 stories high screen, and digital IMAX uses 2 projectors, so itís brighter than a standard screen.

I thought it was fun, but, I had no expectations going into it. I donít think Woody Harrelson was the best choice for that role, but, overall I enjoyed the film. Donald Glover was fantastic, makes up for some things. ...well, I also enjoyed Rogue One.

> I wish there was a way to force the studios/distributors to use proper cases and not stack the discs...it costs them more to replace damaged discs than it does to use proper cases, doesnít it? ...I mean, they really are barely saving $ on the cheap cases.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #2764
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Glad I bought the Steelbook, each disc has its own hub (and the artwork is purdy).
Thanks given by:
Stanton (01-11-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #2765
Special Member

May 2010
British Columbia

I remember enjoying this movie in the theatre but I re-watched it at home and found I was pretty damn bored on the second viewing. I wasn't engaged with it, I kept pausing the movie to take breaks. I hope I was just tired and not in the mood. I reaaalllllllyyyyy don't want to dislike a Star Wars movie.

One thing that stood out to me as very odd on this viewing was the fact that Glover's Lando feels like a parody of Lando.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #2766

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinwith26s View Post
One thing that stood out to me as very odd on this viewing was the fact that Glover's Lando feels like a parody of Lando.
The movie would have been better with Abed as solo.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #2767
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

I just watched this movie the other night for a second time and I loved it. Didn't miss much from the first time around but I did pick up a couple additional references like "Teras Kasi". The friends I watched it with loved it as well. It's not a deep movie or anything, but I especially like all of the individual new characters. One of my favorite parts is Q'ira's imperial-looking royal outfit when they land on the mining colony.

Love Solo.
Thanks given by:
aetherhole (01-15-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies