Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Neo Ultra Q (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part One (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Westworld: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Outlander: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Outlander: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Mr. Robot: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Blindspot: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
10 hrs ago
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96
17 hrs ago
Black Lightning: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Mob Psycho 100 II (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Band of Brothers + The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$39.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 05-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #301
Expert Member

Oct 2016
Central California

I enjoyed The Exorcist III, despite it's convoluted story (as Joe Bob tried to explain). George C. Scott and Brad Dourif were phenomenal! Those scenes with them in the cell were incredible to watch. I also couldn't believe how young Scott Wilson looked (I'm so used to seeing how he looked as Hershel on The Walking Dead).

Deadbeat at Dawn was a lot of hardcore, kick-ass fun that looked like a student film but had all the features of a major flick. Those stunts, though . Wow. Loved the guerilla-style film-making, too.

Another great night on The Last Drive-in.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (05-23-2020), Michael24 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #302
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

I had never seen The Exorcist III proper, so it was nice to see it straight through.

It's a mess. I mean, I understood it (in spite of itself), but it's filled with more compelling moments than an interesting narrative, one of which is just more of the same tired demonic possession nonsense. Having to hear Brad Dourif drone on and on....yeah, we get it, you're evil and your evil knows no bounds! If he had a moustache*, he would have twirled it, I'm sure

It also made me rather bummed to see Zohra Lampert just wasted in a background role.

I don't know what an alternative cut could really fix, but I guess I'm game for that down the line.

* Speaking of which, how was Dourif's character able to stay so clean-shaven? I mean, is an orderly coming in every day and shaving him? Who gets short-strawed into that assignment?

Last edited by BeastCreatureTrapper; 05-24-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #303
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
California

Well, technically, Brad Dourif is just the spirit of the Gemini Killer inhabiting Father Damien. When he's talking at one point he asks Kinderman who he sees and he says something like "The body of my friend." Kinderman is seeing the physical body of Damien the entire time but the audience is seeing the Gemini Killer's spirit while he's talking. (Kind of like Quantum Leap; the audience sees Sam Beckett but the characters see whoever Beckett is currently occupying.)

I was a little perplexed that Joe Bob said the movie confuses him. I find it very easy to follow along with and think it's a terrific film, one of the best horror movies of the '90s.
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #304
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Well, technically, Brad Dourif is just the spirit of the Gemini Killer inhabiting Father Damien. When he's talking at one point he asks Kinderman who he sees and he says something like "The body of my friend." Kinderman is seeing the physical body of Damien the entire time but the audience is seeing the Gemini Killer's spirit while he's talking. (Kind of like Quantum Leap; the audience sees Sam Beckett but the characters see whoever Beckett is currently occupying.)

I was a little perplexed that Joe Bob said the movie confuses him. I find it very easy to follow along with and think it's a terrific film, one of the best horror movies of the '90s.
Ahhh, yes! Great explanation. I lost track of that balancing act, and it brings to mind the whole Karras subplot, which requires a (sorry, for this) leap of faith to begin with.
Thanks given by:
Michael24 (05-24-2020), myway (Yesterday)
Old 05-25-2020, 01:41 AM   #305
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Just discovered this when I saw an ad for Shudder and decided to give it a try. What a great show! I remember Joe Bob Briggs on The Movie Channel as a film critic back in the day. This is a great way to just kick back, no strings attached and have some harmless fun. He is such a great host and I love the format. What a find! Watching Deadbeat at Dawn right now.
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (05-25-2020), master gandhi (05-25-2020), Michael24 (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #306
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLobsta View Post
Just discovered this when I saw an ad for Shudder and decided to give it a try. What a great show! I remember Joe Bob Briggs on The Movie Channel as a film critic back in the day. This is a great way to just kick back, no strings attached and have some harmless fun. He is such a great host and I love the format. What a find! Watching Deadbeat at Dawn right now.
You have a lot of fun viewing up ahead if you plan to dive into his older broadcasts on Shudder. Also 4 more double features this season!
Thanks given by:
BluLobsta (05-25-2020), Michael24 (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #307
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

The trivia behind Deadbeat at Dawn was too funny. They had no permits for filming. They were arrested in film class. Real cops show up during a shoot to kick them off the property and they use them in the take. Jim Van Bebber does the acting, directing, screenplay and almost kills himself jumping into the river. Gotta love it.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (05-25-2020), Michael24 (05-25-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows