Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Knives Out (DVD)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Emma. (DVD)
$13.79

21 Bridges (DVD)
$9.99

Lucifer: The Complete Fourth Season (DVD)
$14.99

Before the Wrath (DVD)
$13.99

Shameless: The Complete Tenth Season (DVD)
$14.99

I Still Believe (DVD)
$14.96

Robert the Bruce (DVD)
$9.96
21 hrs ago
The Munsters: The Complete Series (DVD)
$16.99

The Invisible Man (DVD)
$17.96

A Summer Romance (DVD)
$9.96

Tom & Jerry Golden Collection: Volume One (DVD)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 05-22-2020, 03:46 AM   #1

Feb 2019
Default Why some DVDs so expensive?

Wondering why still lot of especially dvd box sets are so expensive. Are people still buying dvds?
Old 05-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Old 05-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Good to see physical media sales up. Bad to see DVDs up and Bluray down. I still buy the occasional DVD if there is no blu (Examples: Classic Heman, Voltron, and Turtles, Xena, Parks and Rec) but I would never buy a DVD if there was a 4K or blu.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

To answer the OP's question, though a lot of folks stream exclusively these days - I know that some people (including me) are definitely still buying DVD's - for numerous reasons:

1) There is still a lot of material out there that has never (and probably will never) be on Blu, so if you want this on physical media standard DVD is your only option.

2) There are still those out there who don't have a Blu player & just have a regular DVD player - so, DVD is their only physical media option.

3) Lastly, in some (not all) cases, the DVD may be slightly cheaper than the same movie/TV show on Blu. So, cost being a big factor to some people - they may opt to buy the DVD because it's less $.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

2+3 are true, but there isnt really a reason for them. People seem to have this impression that blu ray players are really expensive when they havent been for years.

Then of course, you have the "DVD is good enough" crowd. Yet they buy 4K TVs to watch them on...
Old 05-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #6

Feb 2019

Well...To elaborate more, I was actually looking to buy 'Six feet under' Series on Blu-ray bt found super-expensive so then started looking out for DVD version. OH Man..Still super-expensive they are and i do not have a choice other than waiting for some price drop...But i think this crazy market will continue until there are buyers or demand out there...
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #7

Feb 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Wow.Very Interesting & Informative. Did not realize this and this now explains that DVD demand has not so much declined for some reasons.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
2+3 are true, but there isnt really a reason for them. People seem to have this impression that blu ray players are really expensive when they havent been for years.

Then of course, you have the "DVD is good enough" crowd. Yet they buy 4K TVs to watch them on...
They don't sell HDTVs (50 inch+) anymore.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2019 View Post
Well...To elaborate more, I was actually looking to buy 'Six feet under' Series on Blu-ray bt found super-expensive so then started looking out for DVD version. OH Man..Still super-expensive they are and i do not have a choice other than waiting for some price drop...But i think this crazy market will continue until there are buyers or demand out there...
Six Feet Under hasn't been released on Blu-ray. Where did you find this super expensive Blu-ray set of Six Feet Under?

I'm also curious as to what your definition of super expensive is. Six Feet Under The Complete Series is $50 for a brand new copy on Amazon; I wouldn't consider $50 for 5 seasons to be super expensive.

Last edited by PenguinInfinity; 05-22-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Feb 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Six Feet Under hasn't been released on Blu-ray. Where did you find this super expensive Blu-ray set of Six Feet Under?

I'm also curious as to what your definition of super expensive is. Six Feet Under The Complete Series is $50 for a brand new copy on Amazon; I wouldn't consider $50 for 5 seasons to be super expensive.
sorry i meant not Bluray but DVD here https://www.amazon.ca/Six-Feet-Under...d%2C169&sr=1-1
Old 05-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post

The early 2000s was kind of a brutal time to collect tv shows on dvd. The msrp on X-Files seasons was ~$149 and ~$139 for Star Trek: TNG. From what I recall Wal Mart had them on the shelves for around $99.99 to $109.99 or so per season which would be closer to the $150-160 range out the door per season when adusted for inflation assuming they were 'only' 99.99 each.

Last edited by meremortal; 05-22-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
The early 2000s was kind of a brutal time to collect tv shows on dvd. The msrp on X-Files seasons was ~$149 and ~$139 for Star Trek: TNG. From what I recall Wal Mart had them on the shelves for around $99.99 to $109.99 or so per season which would be closer to the $150-160 range out the door per season when adusted for inflation assuming they were 'only' 99.99 each.
So true. I've upgraded some of my favorite shows from dvd to blu and paid less for the blu then I did for the dvds.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Quote:
sorry i meant not Bluray but DVD here https://www.amazon.ca/Six-Feet-Under...d%2C169&sr=1-1
I think that's the US release, which is $50 on Amazon. I imagine the other complete sets (including the Canadian one) are Out of Print. Once titles go OOP, sellers basically make up their own prices and hope someone buys them. It's the same with everything else, once it the supplies stop, sellers hope demand will increase so they raise the prices.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #14

Oct 2014

Many DVDs are difficult to find. The Robocop TV series was sold only in Canada I believe, unusual for region 1.

Don't get me started on limited releases like later volumes of Maison Ikkoku, Creamy Mami, and such.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lum View Post
Many DVDs are difficult to find. The Robocop TV series was sold only in Canada I believe, unusual for region 1.
I have the UK DVD, but I'm guessing you meant region 1 specifically.

I wonder how much of DVD pricing takes the content into account. Sometimes the DVD is the only way you can get something like The Terminator with the original mono track, and especially some bonus features; the original Die Hard movies in particular are pretty bare bones on blu-ray compared to their DVD counterparts, but I doubt those DVDs are worth anything because they were still pressed in high volume.
Old Today, 02:39 PM   #16

May 2020

To add to the points already mentioned, there are still people out there that have no idea that blu-ray players can also play dvds. As such, they stick to dvds because that's all their players can handle.

Secondly, I don't think that the average person actively seeks out titles. I think they're casual buyers more likely to just pick up whatever is put on the shelves. Personally, I've noticed that Walmarts have a bad habit of only having dvd copies when I know there are blu-ray versions. Which begs the question, are people only buying dvds because that's all that stores are offering or are stores only offering dvds because that's all that people are buying?

When it comes to boxsets, you're edging into a more niche market. Personally, for films, I generally prefer individual releases. It may cost more in the long run, but it's divided up into more manageable bites. Some boxsets like the Amityville Cursed Collection on blu-ray, I only want Amityville Dollhouse.

It's the tv boxsets or even just tv in general that I find the prices to be all over the map. More often than not, tv collections are generally dvd only releases. A good chunk of them are still on the air.

I would imagine for the average person, there's no incentive to pay out $65 for the M.A.S.H. collection on dvd only when you can still watch it for free over the air. Even worse is $20-$25 a pop for blu-rays of individual hour long Christmas staples that are on every year for free. So, definitely more of a niche market.
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015
Isle of Albion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
So true. I've upgraded some of my favorite shows from dvd to blu and paid less for the blu then I did for the dvds.
And of course the DVDs even at ~full price were significantly cheaper than the VHS editions.
Old Today, 09:07 PM   #18
Power Member

Apr 2014
United States

Many are OOP. Physical media has always been pricey until digital took over. Laserdiscs, VHS, all were expensive.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies