Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
19 hrs ago
Shrek: The Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
19 hrs ago
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
19 hrs ago
Friday the 13th: 8-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 04-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

May 2011
Default How to correctly play back Dolby Stereo movies?

Ok, so let me start with the pre-amble that I was always under the (false) impression that Dolby Stereo just meant that - a 2.0 Stereo channel sound.

Now, I coincidentally found out in one of the threads on these boards that Dolby Stereo actually means 4.0 channel surround sound.

This means one thing - that I have been playing back all of my hundreds of blu-rays wrong. I always put my receiver to 'Stereo playback' for all these 80s movies, which resulted in sound coming out from L and R and the subwoofer.

What is actually the correct way to play this back? Which mode should one set up on the receiver for a dolby stereo movie (in my case a Denon AVR-X1200W)?

My assumption is that the mode should be set to "Dolby Surround", but I just wanted to make sure. There are other modes as well, which could make sense, e.g. "Direct/Pure Direct (multi-channel)" or "Matrix".

That's really a pain, why can't these systems just select the appropriate playback method by themselves?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #2

Apr 2013

You're correct. You should use Dolby Surround or ProLogic. You want the dialog to come from the center. Actually, it will sound better than legacy dolby stereo because it will upscale the sound to stereo surrounds or even height speakers if you have them.
Thanks given by:
Menteith (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

May 2011

Thanks, this is really interesting. I wonder how many people play all these movies back wrongly - or am I the only one?

A good example is the Arrow UK blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China. Arrow advertised that they provided the original 2.0 Stereo track on their blu-ray. I mean it literally says 2.0 in the menu and on the back cover.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but just going from common sense I would never have geuessed to set my receiver not to "stereo", not to "DTS HD", but to "Dolby Surround"?

By the way, this example is also interesting from another perspective: The theatrical release apparently also featured a 6-track magnetic sound mix for the 70 mm prints.

What would be the "more accurate" representation of playing back this blu? Using the 2.0 channel with dolby surround, or playing back the 5.1 DTS HD mix encoded on the blu through the receiver's DTS HD mode (maybe that one is mixed based on the 70 mm track)?

Last edited by Menteith; 04-11-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
Thanks, this is really interesting. I wonder how many people play all these movies back wrongly - or am I the only one?

A good example is the Arrow UK blu-ray of Big Trouble in Little China. Arrow advertised that they provided the original 2.0 Stereo track on their blu-ray. I mean it literally says 2.0 in the menu and on the back cover.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but just going from common sense I would never have geuessed to set my receiver not to "stereo", not to "DTS HD", but to "Dolby Surround"?

By the way, this example is also interesting from another perspective: The theatrical release apparently also featured a 6-track magnetic sound mix for the 70 mm prints.
Don't feel bad. This is what these forums are for, is for people to ask questions and to learn about various issues that they do not know about.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (04-13-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:11 AM   #5

May 2018
New Zealand

The problem I have with this though, is setting it to 'Dolby Surround' would enable the upmixer to all available channels.

Therefore a 2.0 Dolby Surround track ends up 7.2.4, which is a bit excessive and well outside of director intent.

Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Dolby Stereo and 2.0 are two completely different things.

2.0, 5.1, 7.1 and others tell you how many speakers are involved. 2.0 is left and right. The number after the decimal is your subwoofer. that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Dolby stereo is actually 4.0. Left, Center, Right, Surround.

I looked it up and the disc you mentioned said that it has two options 2.0 and 5.1. I'm guessing that these are both Dolby Digital signals so on my receiver I would set it to Dolby Digital and it would properly play the signal I pick at the menu screen.

You say that you wish that your receiver would properly pick and play the correct audio on it's own. It's possible that it will if your settings are correct. Click on the link below for more information on the different types of surround sound your receiver is capable of.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/N...SYwdnzswtk.php

Last edited by Hitman Horton; 11-15-2019 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Added a link
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
Dolby Stereo and 2.0 are two completely different things.
Not necessarily. The Dolby SVA form of Dolby Stereo was a 2 channel matrix and was by far the most common because existing theatres could be upgraded easily to use it. As still remains the case with Dolby (their new Dolby Surround for example), they have form for using the same name for different systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Stereo
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Not necessarily. The Dolby SVA form of Dolby Stereo was a 2 channel matrix and was by far the most common because existing theatres could be upgraded easily to use it. As still remains the case with Dolby (their new Dolby Surround for example), they have form for using the same name for different systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Stereo
If you read the second paragraph on Dolby SVA it says that it contained Left, Right, Center and Surround. That's according to the link that you provided.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
If you read the second paragraph on Dolby SVA it says that it contained Left, Right, Center and Surround. That's according to the link that you provided.
May I suggest you read it properly then.

It's 4 channels post-matrix decoding.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
May I suggest you read it properly then.

It's 4 channels post-matrix decoding.
I'm not familiar with the technological terms. I read what you linked and made a comment based on that information. From what I looked at, it means that it's a stereo but can be further split into center and surround if the theater wishes to invest in the extra equipment necessary.

Regardless, I don't think it's information that the original poster is interested in.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

In reality, if the movie sounds good to you, then that should be the only thing that matters. If you're a purist who only wants to listen to the audio as it was in the original film, then you can do that. If you like to use all of your speakers, that's okay too. It's totally up to you.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Regardless, I don't think it's information that the original poster is interested in.
The original 2-channel stereo encoding of 4-channel Dolby Surround is what the OP wanted information on to play back correctly. Upscaling the 2.0 to surround is the correct way to do that as it should read the matrixed information, although modern receivers will do this to higher than 4.0 channels as they don't have a legacy 4.0 option.

Last edited by oddbox83; 11-17-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion