Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Everything Everywhere All At Once (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Jurassic World: Dominion 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Dragon Ball Super: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$169.99

True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.76

Real Genius 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
True Romance 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Jurassic World: Ultimate Collection 4K Giftset (Blu-ray)
$149.96

Out of Sight 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Jurassic World: Dominion (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Belle 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

Top Gun 4K 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Cruising (Blu-ray)
$15.75

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Aug 2011
WA State
Default Alexander Nevsky

I've been hoping to see a US release of Alexander Nevsky on BR but am not holding my breath. I see there is an Italian release: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alexa...lu-ray/177504/

Anyone have this? Is it any good?
Old 01-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #2

Jun 2020
Bogotá, Colombia

Ive got the italian BD and looks pretty good, not sure about the AQ though, and it has no extras and only italian subs.

the movie was a major disappointment for me, one of the biggest of my movie life, but thats just my personal opinion. Prokofiev's music in the movie is laughably bad. I'm a fan of symphonic russian music, and I know a bit, so I wasnt expecting this awful, almost comically bad music. Perhaps outside of the movie sounds great, but in the movie is quasi puerile. again, thats just my controversial opinion. As for the movie itself I also thought very little of, despite Eisenstein mastery of editing and directing.

It really was a disaster as a viewing experience.
Thanks given by:
karsten (02-15-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #3
Power Member

Jun 2013
USA

Wow! What a different view than mine. I love this film. I do agree that early sound Russian films are an acquired taste. Eisenstein was brilliant, imho, but definitely not for everyone. It does have a 7.6 IMDB score, which (pleasantly) surprised me.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:38 PM   #4

Jun 2020
Bogotá, Colombia

I do like early russian films, Im familiar with them and I rate very highly eisenstein, thats why I was so surprised by this, but I'll admit its a very unusual opinion, but I cannot help how I felt.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #5

Dec 2012
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonddantes View Post
Prokofiev's music in the movie is laughably bad. I'm a fan of symphonic russian music, and I know a bit, so I wasnt expecting this awful, almost comically bad music. Perhaps outside of the movie sounds great, but in the movie is quasi puerile.
The film was never properly completed as an unfinished workprint was screened to Stalin, who approved the film. No one could make any changes to the film after that which left much of audio and score suffering as well as the editing. I personally like the music but it sounds like it was recorded off a phone line and in some scenes it is poorly matched with the image.

I've once seen the Laserdisc many years ago on which the score was replaced with new recordings. It does sound very good but gets extremely uneven with all the muffled, crackling sound effects and dialogue.

Film itself was a big favorite of mine as a teen but I had the opportunity to watch a 35mm print last Autumn and it has not aged well. Much of it is caused by its incomplete state. Compared to other Soviet propaganda films from the 30s with similar themes, like Chapaev, some may argue that Nevsky is the best of them all. Which doesn't say much unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
Expert Member

Mar 2016

Quote:
the movie was a major disappointment for me, one of the biggest of my movie life, but thats just my personal opinion. Prokofiev's music in the movie is laughably bad. I'm a fan of symphonic russian music, and I know a bit, so I wasnt expecting this awful, almost comically bad music. Perhaps outside of the movie sounds great, but in the movie is quasi puerile. again, thats just my controversial opinion. As for the movie itself I also thought very little of, despite Eisenstein mastery of editing and directing.

Wow
Old 02-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #7

Feb 2020

Quote:
Ive got the italian BD and looks pretty good, not sure about the AQ though, and it has no extras and only italian subs.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #8

Jun 2020
Bogotá, Colombia

I know always a high level discussion is beginning when someone posts a youtube clip , even better form the simpsons, thats really me told

in fact you changed my whole outlook, now I think its a masterpiece
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International