Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Shawshank Redemption 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
5 hrs ago
Indiana Jones: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$65.69
22 hrs ago
Minari (Blu-ray)
$7.99
7 hrs ago
100 Years of Olympic Films: 1912-2012 (Blu-ray)
$169.99
22 hrs ago
The Transformers: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
6 hrs ago
Ghost in the Shell 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
The Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 day ago
Chaos Walking 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
The Courier (Blu-ray)
$10.99
3 hrs ago
Elysium 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
City of Lies (Blu-ray)
$7.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #221
rui no onna rui no onna is online now
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Going rate for consumer 1TB SATA SSD is ~$100. No need to go for that Seagate. 2 million MTBF only matters if you're deploying a large number of these drives.

Windows 10 should be able to install to >2TB drives with all storage useable. Just need to make sure UEFI is used and drive is initialized as GPT.
https://www.intowindows.com/create-u...of-windows-10/

Mind, that Gigabyte SSD with 5,000 MB/s read is actually 40x the speed of 1 Gbps ethernet. Note the capitalization. 1Gbps = 1 gigabit per second = ~125 MB/s.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #222
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
Going rate for consumer 1TB SATA SSD is ~$100. No need to go for that Seagate. 2 million MTBF only matters if you're deploying a large number of these drives.

Windows 10 should be able to install to >2TB drives with all storage useable. Just need to make sure UEFI is used and drive is initialized as GPT.
https://www.intowindows.com/create-u...of-windows-10/

Mind, that Gigabyte SSD with 5,000 MB/s read is actually 40x the speed of 1 Gbps ethernet. Note the capitalization. 1Gbps = 1 gigabit per second = ~125 MB/s.
The partition utility that comes with Windows 10 Professional 64 bit only allows for up to 2TB partition size maximum to be used for the Windows installation. This is because MBR partitions is only allowed and MBR max out at 2TB for the boot partition, where as GPT partitions can handle 16TB hard drives and high-end 15TB solid state drives as one big storage partition, however the catch is Windows 10 does not allow for GPT partitions for the boot partition and one has to use MBR which is limited to 2TB.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #223
rui no onna rui no onna is online now
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
The partition utility that comes with Windows 10 Professional 64 bit only allows for up to 2TB partition size maximum to be used for the Windows installation. This is because MBR partitions is only allowed and MBR max out at 2TB for the boot partition, where as GPT partitions can handle 16TB hard drives and high-end 15TB solid state drives as one big storage partition, however the catch is Windows 10 does not allow for GPT partitions for the boot partition and one has to use MBR which is limited to 2TB.
The instructions I linked to shows how you can create your own UEFI USB flash drive installer so you can use GPT for boot drive.

Last edited by rui no onna; 09-23-2019 at 04:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #224
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
The instructions I linked to shows how you can create your own UEFI USB flash drive installer so you can use GPT for boot drive.
Thanks for the information regarding the third party software utility that is suppose to allow one to install Windows on a GPT partition solid state drive or hard drive that is larger then 2TB. Personally, I do not own a solid state drive larger then 2TB yet, however some consumers might own a 15TB Seagate solid state drive enterprise version and may find your information useful.

Microsoft’s latest build for Windows 10 Professional 64 bit does not support GPT partition during installation, and the requirement to use some third party utility in order to get Windows 10 boot drive to work with GPT is ridiculous and not consumer friendly.

One of the reasons why most of the top of the line consumer solid state drives are only offered in capacities up to 2TB size is because most consumers do not use Windows 10 with a boot drive larger than 2TB. Microsoft has made it impossible to do so with the latest Windows 10 build. To my knowledge I am using the latest Windows 10 Professional 64 bit build on DVD-ROM which has a build date of 6/24/19. As a test I formatted a 3TB hard drive using the NTFS file system with one large 3TB GPT partition, I then placed the 3TB hard drive in a PC to give it a fresh Windows 10 load from DVD-ROM using the latest Windows 10 build. To my surprise Microsoft would not allow its operating system to be installed on the 3TB hard drive and gave me the following error message “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.” If the only way to get the Windows 10 boot drive to work with GPT partitions is to use a third party utility, that is not consumer friendly. One should be able to place the DVD-ROM disc in the computer and then there should be a Microsoft option on the installation disc to partition the drive as GPT, but instead the latest Microsoft Windows 10 build 100% of the time requires the drive to be partitioned as MBR which limits the boot size partition to 2TB maximum. Microsoft should update their installation build and create a GPT partition option.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-24-2019 at 12:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 AM   #225
rui no onna rui no onna is online now
Expert Member
 
Sep 2016
-
-
-
-
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
One of the reasons why most of the top of the line consumer solid state drives are only offered in capacities up to 2TB size is because most consumers do not use Windows 10 with a boot drive larger than 2TB. Microsoft has made it impossible to do so with the latest Windows 10 build. To my knowledge I am using the latest Windows 10 Professional 64 bit build on DVD-ROM which has a build date of 6/24/19. As a test I formatted a 3TB hard drive using the NTFS file system with one large 3TB GPT partition, I then placed the 3TB hard drive in a PC to give it a fresh Windows 10 load from DVD-ROM using the latest Windows 10 build. To my surprise Microsoft would not allow its operating system to be installed on the 3TB hard drive and gave me the following error message “Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.” If the only way to get the Windows 10 boot drive to work with GPT partitions is to use a third party utility, that is not consumer friendly. One should be able to place the DVD-ROM disc in the computer and then there should be a Microsoft option on the installation disc to partition the drive as GPT, but instead the latest Microsoft Windows 10 build 100% of the time requires the drive to be partitioned as MBR which does not support the drive to be larger then 2TB. Microsoft should update their installation build and create a GPT partition option.
Nah, more likely than not, there's just not a big market for >2TB SSDs. Samsung's the only manufacturer I know selling 4TB SSDs (2.5" SATA) for the consumer space (860 PRO MLC $1000?, 860 EVO TLC ~$600, 860 QVO QLC ~$500).

For NVMe SSDs, I don't think density is there yet to be able to fit 4TB on the M.2 2280 form factor.

I believe the Windows 10 installer itself supports UEFI/GPT. Rufus doesn't actually change the installer. It just makes a flash drive that boots in UEFI mode.

Problem is I believe most motherboards load DVDs in Legacy MBR mode and that limits Windows installation to MBR.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #226
grim_tales grim_tales is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK
Default

Hey,
Does anyone know any good reliable (free) software to play BD on PC?
I'm trying out Leawo at the moment but it's acting a bit odd, defaulting to the commentary/English track on some Eureka BDs of Hong Kong films, not displaying the menu etc On Eastern Condors only the English dub track is available
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Question about PC Blu-ray player/recorder and compatable software/s. Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software ajy0903 6 09-23-2014 06:07 PM
The best Blu-ray player software to use? Blu-ray Players and Recorders oposky2006 9 01-13-2014 02:12 AM
Where is the BLU-RAY computer games and BLU-RAY computer educational software? Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software HDTV1080P 30 06-01-2011 10:34 AM
New 3-D ACER computer monitor for $399 (3-D Blu-ray software might be coming?) Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software HDTV1080P 5 02-19-2010 06:45 PM
Blu-Ray Movie player software for Linux? Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software Linuxology 2 10-09-2007 03:20 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 AM.