Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Wind Rises (Blu-ray)
$16.19
1 hr ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$53.06
1 day ago
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$17.99
8 hrs ago
My Bloody Valentine (Blu-ray)
$17.39
8 hrs ago
Howl's Moving Castle (Blu-ray)
$16.19
6 hrs ago
Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Halloween (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Far from Home / Spider-Man: Homecoming / Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse / Venom (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Blu-ray)
$16.19
6 hrs ago
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$16.19
12 hrs ago
Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
1 hr ago
Castle in the Sky (Blu-ray)
$16.19
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 06-12-2021, 11:34 PM   #421
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersports View Post
Horrible job by Paramount.
They have top men working on it..... Top men
Thanks given by:
BluFalcon (06-12-2021), dlbsyst (Yesterday), huskersports (06-12-2021), punisher (Yesterday)
Old 06-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #422

Jul 2020
New York City, USA

Quote:
Holy crap! I have NEVER seen steelbooks look like that from shipping! Spine slash is the worst I have experienced. That outer box should have been designed to be much sturdier/thicker. They would have been better off just putting all 5 discs into one steelbook like they did with the BD set from 2019. Horrible job by Paramount.

I agree on the packaging. But honestly, even if they just protected the item properly, with a box, it would've probably arrived just fine. It just seems like they go out of their way to insult customers.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #423

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFalcon View Post
It just seems like they go out of their way to insult customers.
Oh please. You're imputing motive out of thin air.

Occam's Razor: BB is cheaping out to save on packaging costs or lowly paid workers just don't care about giving steelbooks special treatment because they're not collectors and there's a quota to meet.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #424

Sep 2020
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonMagnum View Post
I just did some direct comparisons with Raiders to the old 5.1 DTS HD-MA BD. The biggest difference by far was bass/LFE. Even with the LFE increased by a whopping 9dB, many effects were still lower in bass than the old soundtrack (Especially noticeable during the dig thunderstorm). I felt Neural X placed many thunder effects better overhead as well. Overall, I consider the soundtrack a downgrade from the previous version. I may have to do a remux.
Does the new 4k video mux nicely with the old blu-ray audio?
Old Yesterday, 04:20 AM   #425
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2016
Minnesota

Went to BB tonight expecting just to pick up the Backdraft steelbook but low and behold they had one copy of the Indy collection still on the shelf in mint condition even though it said it was sold out around me for 50 miles, So naturally it had to come home with me
Thanks given by:
DarkEco910 (Yesterday), dlbsyst (Yesterday), huskersports (Yesterday), punisher (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #426

Jul 2020
New York City, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post
Oh please. You're imputing motive out of thin air.

Occam's Razor: BB is cheaping out to save on packaging costs or lowly paid workers just don't care about giving steelbooks special treatment because they're not collectors and there's a quota to meet.
Cheaping out to save on packaging costs obviously isn't a very smart plan of action, as with a few pennies more they can use some real protection, and guarantee a much higher success rate in safe item delivery. It's saves both them and us money in the long run and it's not rocket science. It also doesn't require fancy debate terms to substantiate common sense. Here, I can do it too: Red Herring. Btw, it seems you haven't looked at the picture I posted, so maybe you can do some cursory investigation before you put your amazing two cents in. They sent this heavy item in a lightweight bag that was many times too big. People had their items crushed when they bought the Indiana Jones Collection, including me. In what world does that make any sense? Anyway, from now on I'm done complaining about this company. It really does seem they'll never change.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #427

Jun 2011
West Des Moines, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobad2003 View Post
Went to BB tonight expecting just to pick up the Backdraft steelbook but low and behold they had one copy of the Indy collection still on the shelf in mint condition even though it said it was sold out around me for 50 miles, So naturally it had to come home with me
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if their stock falls below 2 of an item, it will say Sold Out online?
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #428

Oct 2013

Quote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if their stock falls below 2 of an item, it will say Sold Out online?
Sometimes it will say that but not always the rule. If it is 1 unit then it should be 1 unit online for sale.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #429
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Union County NJ

Quote:
Are you asking about store pick up or shipping? Pickup goes to sold out when the location is down to 2 usually. Shipping should be down to the last 1.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #430

Oct 2013

Quote:
I agree on the packaging. But honestly, even if they just protected the item properly, with a box, it would've probably arrived just fine. It just seems like they go out of their way to insult customers.
Cheap packaging period for a top 5 movie of all-time. Disney should be a shame of it self. That's why I went from the regular box set.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #431
Expert Member

May 2016

Paramount, not Disney.
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #432

Sep 2011
Southampton, New Jersey

My 4k Review of "Indiana Jones":

It has been a week already and I hope most of you have finally got your hands on the hotly anticipated 4k release of the Indiana Jones series. I pre-ordered the standard boxset from Best Buy months in advance but, like most of us, it got delayed. I could not wait so I checked my local Best Buy here in the States for any available copy. Thankfully, they only had two copies of the steel-book set around the time they opened. I canceled and bought one of them. It cost an additional $10 compared to the standard version, sure, but eliminating the weight was totally worth it for me. So how did Paramount do with Indiana Jones movies? It is a knock-out! I knew The Indy Trilogy could look/sound spectacular on 4k Blu-ray given Douglas Slocombe’s beautifully filmic cinematography, abundance of practical effects utilized and state of the art sound design. Add on the supervision by director Steven Spielberg and sound-designer Ben Burtt for these new transfers/mixes, how can you go wrong here! Even though I do not consider it in the same light and league of the first three, “Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” finds some new life in 4k by way of a revised color palette and mostly rousing audio upgrade. Know that I have gone through all of them, here are my thoughts on just the video and audio quality that Paramount has blessed us for the adventures of Indiana Jones!

Raiders of the Lost Ark – 9.5/ for 4k HDR video & ATMOS audio

First of the four in the new release and it already looks stunning. The textual details are constantly eye-popping in light & dark scenes with only a slight hint of softness. The opening sequence looks the roughest, but it only gets better from there. Colors are natural yet often vivid with near-perfect black levels/shadow definition. Flames and sunset shots look amazing too. The film grain is fabulous too, never too heavy and adding just enough cinematic flair to all the iconic scenes. This classic film's 4k transfer is right on-par with 'Jaws' and "Speed". This sets the bar high for the other three movies and I have no doubt they will match up or even exceed.

The ATMOs track is wonderful, it is not quite perfect but it can't get better than this. Listening to bits of the 5.1 DTS track from the Blu-ray, I noticed now on that otherwise terrific track that certain elements are either overcooked or underwhelming in spots, but this new immersive track for the 4k achieves a wider, richer soundstage with perfect clarity and robust ATMOS moments that are a bit sparser than some would hope for, but the sense of immersion is near-flawless. The only downside is that some of the LFE has been toned down, particularly with gunfire. I noticed this with Indy's handgun in the bar shootout scene, a slight lack of heft. But the bass is highly effective otherwise. John Williams' score simply soars too. Despite the slightly dated sound elements, they pulled offer a marvelous but faithful job.

Temple of Doom – 9.5/10 (A) for 4k HDR video & ATMOS audio

I got a bit hyped up for this one from some online reviewers and I can agree that it is also a stunner worthy of the 4k format! I will admit, I was a tad less impressed with the video here than I was with Raiders but still delivers the goods on all fronts. It is just that the grain is a bit heavier in some scenes and HDR, while fantastic, did not completely floor me like I'd hoped. Judging it by itself, its spectacular but I also rate it based off how much it improves upon the Blu-ray. which it does rather nicely.

Already a more satisfying ATMOS track compared to ‘Raiders’ with more notable use of the heights and some fantastic boosts in the bass. Everything else from the Blu-ray's 5.1 DTS track has been carried over, balanced out the original bombastic mix and remains clean as a whistle with nothing lost in the process (like say some of the LFE accents on gunfire in 'Raiders' I mentioned before). John Williams fills all channels flawlessly once again with incredible dynamics. I’ve heard some complain that the sound design of “Temple” is “front-heavy”, but this new track nearly eliminates that issue; it doesn’t go full “demo-worthy” in my book but it comes very damn close. An exhilarating experience overall!

The Last Crusade – 10/10 (A+) for 4k HDR video & ATMOS audio

The best of the series imo with the most outstanding 4k treatment. Do not let the smooth-ish opening credits fool you (the only bit where DNR might be mildly noticeable), I was shedding tears of joy by the end. It starts off rather subtle and once we get to the second half, the picture quality excels to levels almost comparable to a 65mm print. Razor sharp textures and fantastic HDR all the way through.

The ATMOS track is just outstanding all the way, making incredibly effective use of the original three’s most impressive sound-mix. The fact that this ATMOS can improve notably on an already stupendous DTS track gives this an A+ mark and the height effects are constantly used with the immersive bubble working over-time. Once again, John Williams' music soaring to literal new heights and action sequences sound amazing.

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – 8/10 (B+) for 4k HDR Video
9/10 (A-) for ATMOS audio

The biggest and most obvious improvement is the changed color timing along with the HDR. The movie looks much more like an Indy movie than a hazy, bright mess. Even with the strong HDR, black levels are not always consistently inky. As for detail, the improvements range from mild to quite good but there is only so much you can do with this odd beast, and it comes nowhere near the textural brilliance of the first three on 4k. The detail upgrade mostly looks more like an average 2kDI than an actual 4kDI! But for what it is worth, this is best the movie is going to look.

The ATMOS track is solid but only a bit improved over the pretty stellar DTS track and the soundstage remains a bit more front-heavy than it should be compared the older three. Probably the best aspect of the movie's sound design is its consistently punchy bass (save a few underwhelming moments) and the ATMOS certainly is not a slouch in that regard, the dynamic range is remarkable enough and will satisfy any viewer even though it does not feel completely immersive. Worthy upgrade indeed.
Thanks given by:
BluFalcon (Today), Edo (Today), gobad2003 (Today)
Old Today, 04:43 AM   #433

Jul 2020
New York City, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avageektwit View Post
My 4k Review of "Indiana Jones"
Thanks for your in-depth appraisal. Appreciate the thoughts of a genuine fan.

Last edited by BluFalcon; Today at 04:49 AM. Reason: Wanted to shorten the size of my message.
Thanks given by:
Avageektwit (Today), Edo (Today)
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #434

Sep 2011
Southampton, New Jersey

Quote:
Thanks for your in-depth appraisal. Appreciate the thoughts of a genuine fan.
Thanks given by:
BluFalcon (Today)
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #435
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

I figured if a 5th movie is coming out to wait until the 5 movie boxset. It will lessen the sting of the 4th movie if the 5th is any good. Besides, I already own the trilogy on blu ray (twice). The days of me buying a pack when I know there are potential other movies in the line are now gone. If they say its the end, I'll bite.
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #436
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieb1971 View Post
I figured if a 5th movie is coming out to wait until the 5 movie boxset. It will lessen the sting of the 4th movie if the 5th is any good. Besides, I already own the trilogy on blu ray (twice). The days of me buying a pack when I know there are potential other movies in the line are now gone. If they say its the end, I'll bite.
It's heavily speculated that Paramount will hold onto the rights of the first 4 whilst Lucasfilm/Disney are making the new one. The chances of a comprehensive set are slim.
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #437
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2007
USA

On "sale" for $95.99 now.
Thanks given by:
fosho (Today)
Old Today, 04:48 PM   #438

Jul 2020
New York City, USA

Quote:
Holy crap! I have NEVER seen steelbooks look like that from shipping! Spine slash is the worst I have experienced. That outer box should have been designed to be much sturdier/thicker. They would have been better off just putting all 5 discs into one steelbook like they did with the BD set from 2019. Horrible job by Paramount.
Lo and behold. I do believe this is a Christmas miracle. Maybe there is some small hope for change at Best Buy yet.

[Show spoiler]

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks