Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.30

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.49

Pina 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Legend of Hercules 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49

The Smurfs 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.69

Despicable Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.39

Trolls World Tour 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.31

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
I have one of these ,
I really like the extra pop it seems to give to the 3D , I have it set at 40 and run everything through it.

I also like how you can also mess with the aspect ratio to see a different perspective than normal just to change things up a little after multiple viewings of the same movie.

Hi Everret,

Yes, it adds something to the 3D effect. When I turn the darbee on and off, I notice the obvious difference in picture quality but also a subtle increase in depth you saw as well. Gather that is a byproduct of the picture enhancement.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
No problem Joe and the fact that it works on low resolutions is good news to me. Is there another version out or coming out that handles 4k? If it's not out anyone know when?
Hi Jbug,

Not yet. But they do talk about it somewhere in their website.

http://www.darbeevision.com/
Old 11-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Jbug,

Not yet. But they do talk about it somewhere in their website.

http://www.darbeevision.com/
Thanks again Joe.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
Thanks again Joe.
My pleasure Jbug. I'm really happy with mine - unless it means my set itself (Sony KLD50W800B) is really a lemon and needed it!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi infinite,

As the one who originally posed the question and had been giving it the reviews since receiving it last Tuesday, I feel I'm also now the one in the spot. It better work for you guys or I'm afraid I'll be the next 3D "pop out" in this forum.

It does do the job. I was keeping my setting at 61 using the HD (green) mode for everything but tonight noticed I could increase the level to 81 for DVDs that are properly remastered (like the earlier Star Wars, Les Miserables, etc.). These look better than ever and are satisfactorily close enough to HD quality (prior to the darbee) that I don't need to replace. Older ones utilizing poor prints or with no remastering (i.e. the original release of 2001 which was washed out, blurry and with ghosting) are clearer but do not expect miracles (BTW it has been replaced with a Blu ray copy).

Do think you'll enjoy it. Please let me know if you do or if I'm to be a popping out of your TV screen sometime soon!
Hey Joe thanks for making me aware of it. I'm looking forward to playing with it. I like the idea of changing a few of the titles aspect ratios in 3D.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #66
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
I have one of these ,
I really like the extra pop it seems to give to the 3D , I have it set at 40 and run everything through it.

I also like how you can also mess with the aspect ratio to see a different perspective than normal just to change things up a little after multiple viewings of the same movie.

You're talking about the DVP5000 Darblet?
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 12.31.13 PM copy.jpg

You can change the aspect ratio with the Oppo 103-D, but how would you change it with the DVP 5000?
Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Hey Joe thanks for making me aware of it. I'm looking forward to playing with it. I like the idea of changing a few of the titles aspect ratios in 3D.
Hi infinite,

This one does not change aspect ratios. Maybe the model mentioned by Paul? That might be more expensive too.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #68
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Hi infinite,

This one does not change aspect ratios. Maybe the model mentioned by Paul?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:53 AM   #69

Sep 2014
California
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
You're talking about the DVP5000 Darblet?
Attachment 155490

You can change the aspect ratio with the Oppo 103-D, but how would you change it with the DVP 5000?
oops , I guess have the DVP 5000 S

http://hometheaterreview.com/darbeev...age-processor/

What kinda blew me away was this is only 2 inches by 4.5 inches in size.

And it DOES NOT change aspect ratio. (It's my Lumagen Mini Video processor that does that)

Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (11-30-2016), nycomet (11-30-2016), Paul H (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Hi Althus, Everret, NY Comet, Paul H. and anyone else who might own the Darbee or are thinking of it.

Recently replaced my remaining James Bond films with blu ray editions (got cheap, used copies on sale, of course). "Goldeneye" was the last one caught up with, last night. I knew there were problems with the disc from reading blu-ray.com's review:

"GoldenEye, unlike just about every other film in Bond 50 collection, has been given a moderate-to-heavy dose of digital noise reduction in most scenes, freezing grain, smearing it into an unnaturally smooth patina, and occasionally giving the actors' faces that distinct wax figure look. Along with the DNR, you'll be able to spot the side effects of edge enhancement, an artificial sharpening process that has a tendency to ring hard lines with black or white halos."

Could the Darbee help?

Yes. It eliminated a lot of the "wax" type effect in faces. Easily saw the more pronounced appearance of blemishes, cysts, wrinkles on the forehead, razor burn, etc. on Pierce Brosnan. At the same time, though not eliminating them, there was also no increase in the halos and the harshness caused by edge enhancement (while with the accompanying better detail they were less noticeable).

blu-ray.com concluded:

"And clarity, though inherently hampered by the noise reduction—which essentially blurs out grain, removing fine detail in the process—is much tighter in high definition. I'm not sure exactly what happened here—why the film has been treated so callously compared to the other Bond movies—but there is a decent upgrade in picture quality here for those who can live with the DNR."

I agree about the loss of detail, however, the Darbee did seem to restore some of it.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #71
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Monoprice got this to me in 2 days. I am impressed! I tried it out on some 2d and I like it. I think this will really help the 3D mode out. Leaving it at the recommended 60 for now.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #72
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Monoprice got this to me in 2 days. I am impressed! I tried it out on some 2d and I like it. I think this will really help the 3D mode out. Leaving it at the recommended 60 for now.
Hi Infinite,

So glad. This means not having to worry about popping out of your 3D set cause I pushed you into buying a lemon!

I've had mine set at 61 but found there are times it needed to be readjusted due to the original source material.

For example, They did a wonderful job restoring the original 1932 King Kong on DVD, however, I read even the blu-ray could not eliminate the grain. When I put in on, the picture was too harsh at 61 with the grain heavily pronounced. Lowering the darbee to 44 (Hank Aaron LOL) eliminated the extra grain and harshness while retaining the added sharpness, detail, black level, etc.

On the other hand, was able to increase the darbee to 74 for DVD copies of Star Wars III and Les Miserables (the movie, not the 20th anniversary concert) because they are top notch DVD quality while older releases of films circa 1960 like Journey To The Center Of The Earth and The Time Machine looked best at the 61 level.

Of course, it really does the job on blu-ray and high definition cable. After getting used to how well the darbee functions, I think I'm better able to discern the finely detailed differences between even the slightest of increments. So this morning I also lowered my setting slightly to 57. You might find it will take a while before settling in on a general setting, changing it only for certain source material, like the examples I cited above.

Again, glad you are impressed. You will find that the enhanced picture will carry over to 3D making it a more impressive experience as well and perhaps causing you to again watch some films you just recently saw.

And after a while you will become so used to the increased detail that you will be turning your darbee off just to see if it is still working!
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #73
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

I'm finding when playing 1080P 3D on the LG EG9600 UHD that artifacts become very noticeable (and irritating) when the Darbee is set at higher levels. It doesn't take much to achieve results when the image is already unconverted to 4K and the "Super Resolution" feature is turned on and set to High.
Best results I see are when four Darblets are daisy-chained, and all set at a low #9. The first in the Chain set @ HD to 9, the two in the middle set at Full-Pop to 9, and the last in the chain set at Gaming to 9. The combination enhances (clarifies) the 3D detail with absolutely no noticeable artifacting.
Thanks given by:
nycomet (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #74
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2012
Missouri

Quote:
You must have paid for two day shipping. Mine won't be in till Saturday.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #75
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
I'm finding when playing 1080P 3D on the LG EG9600 UHD that artifacts become very noticeable (and irritating) when the Darbee is set at higher levels. It doesn't take much to achieve results when the image is already unconverted to 4K and the "Super Resolution" feature is turned on and set to High.
Best results I see are when four Darblets are daisy-chained, and all set at a low #9. The first in the Chain set @ HD to 9, the two in the middle set at Full-Pop to 9, and the last in the chain set at Gaming to 9. The combination enhances (clarifies) the 3D detail with absolutely no noticeable artifacting.
Hi Paul,

Obviously do not have the set-up you do. But now that I am visually getting used to what the darbee can do, am finding it easier to visually differentiate between the desired level of improved detail and too high a setting leading to the slight creation of grain and slightly too harsh a picture. What's great is a noticeable increase in natural detail being quite evident even at too soft a setting - long before there is even a hint of added grain.

For my purposes, know that 44 is the absolute minimum but still on the fence regarding 57 or 61 being too high. Though tempting, learned not to base settings on any one source but rather a 1080p test pattern because some source material could be naturally too soft while others could be too harsh and thus one could easily be fooled.

Well, at least I know I'm getting there.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #76
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
You must have paid for two day shipping. Mine won't be in till Saturday.
I read my confirmation email and shipping was free. Total after tax was 139. I got lucky I guess.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #77
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
I read my confirmation email and shipping was free. Total after tax was 139. I got lucky I guess.
Had ten dollars in bonus points from Crutchfeld so also got it for $139 with two day free shipping plus a sixty day return guarantee. Check to be sure what you have includes the latest firmware update. Mine did.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #78
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Do you use super resolution with the darbee or turn it off?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #79
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Do you use super resolution with the darbee or turn it off?
Super Resolution is set to High when watching 3D, keeping it on when the Darblet's are attached and set at very low settings of 9, for clear reproduction, no noticeable artifacts, and producing a mirror-like window ora (glow?), giving me an experience of detail visualization of volume that looks remarkably real as though I'm looking through a window on the production.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #80
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Super Resolution is set to High when watching 3D, keeping it on when the Darblet's are attached and set at very low settings of 9, for clear reproduction, no noticeable artifacts, and producing a mirror-like window ora (glow?), giving me an experience of detail visualization of volume that looks remarkably real as though I'm looking through a window on the production.
Hi Paul,

There is a reality creation function on my Sony KDL50W800b. Within that have the resolution adjusted to the highest setting and the noise filtering set to 89 out of 100. These are intertwined with each other and separate from the other noise filters, sharpness and enhancement controls. Because I have a simpler set up, at this point have the darbee set to 59. It's the point where detail increases without the inclusion of grain and harshness. Besides the test pattern on Disney WOW also used it's main menu changing sky as a guide for grain and artifacts settling in. Guess it does become a judgment call at the day's end.

And, as was the case with the 1932 King Kong, there will be times when source material will require a lower setting regardless. Do you notice the need to reset your darbee for any particular disc, being either too harsh or too soft than usual?

Joe
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology