Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.03

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.25

Shazam! 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.96

Under the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.01

Secret Life of Cars 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.89
7 min ago
xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.68

Galactic Adventures Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$15.30

Parasite 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.79

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.17

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #1

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Exclamation Samsung drops 3D from TVs & petition to restore it

In an interview with Belgian magazine Knack, Tristan van Overbroek, consumer electronics manager at Samsung, revealed that the company no longer believes in 3D TV.

Samsung will continue to offer 3D as a feature on its high-end television screens, but all marketing efforts to promote 3D will be ceased because the company realises that consumers aren't interested in 3D TV.

A recent Dutch study revealed that only 6 percent of consumers is willing to pay for a 3D TV, and that only 20 percent is potentially interested in the technology.

http://datanews.knack.be/ict/nieuws/...043767990.htm#

*Gimmick & niche product*

Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

As predicted, yet another failure for a decades-old fad, with a new polish. Now, if the studios will just follow suit...

Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

It appears the vast majority of consumers are simply "haters", huh?

Time will tell whether this will spill over to the other big display manufacturers, but if true, it's not a good sign for 3D.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #4

Jan 2012

Oh well i said 3d was a fad and it was failing but people told me I was stupid and ignorant.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Banned

Nov 2008
-

about time.. this was bound to happen

too bad Jimmy Smith is Suspended.. he would be fighting this thread to the death!

Last edited by nolfoc; 02-16-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Embrace the hate!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Embrace the hate!

Anyway, if this happens, at least they'll be plenty of cheap 3DTV's to buy, if they're clearing out their stock. Still, I just want it to succeed in some form.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
In an interview with Belgian magazine Knack, Tristan van Overbroek, consumer electronics manager at Samsung, revealed that the company no longer believes in 3D TV.

Samsung will continue to offer 3D as a feature on its high-end television screens, but all marketing efforts to promote 3D will be ceased because the company realises that consumers aren't interested in 3D TV.

A recent Dutch study revealed that only 6 percent of consumers is willing to pay for a 3D TV, and that only 20 percent is potentially interested in the technology.

http://datanews.knack.be/ict/nieuws/...043767990.htm#

*Gimmick & niche product*
I don't think one magazine article and one small Dutch study spells the Death Knell for 3D. It's a niche market and it will Continue to be so.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

I highly doubt it will fail. it says samsung is still making the 3d tvs. i'm sure it means they won't be doing exclusives anymore which is great.Great news for 3D.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
I highly doubt it will fail. it says samsung is still making the 3d tvs. i'm sure it means they won't be doing exclusives anymore which is great.Great news for 3D.
you wont be rocking on when 3D is the new HDDVD in another year or so

Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
Banned

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

This is good news. It was just a gimmick for the studios to charge more.

Let me know when they finish the Holodeck technology.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

If 3d were to disappear, I doubt it would do anything to decrease overall tv prices. I guarantee manufacturers flagship models such as the Sharp Elite, Panasonic VT30, Samsung D8000 etc, would still be exactly the same price even if they didn't have 3d capabilities. It's a misconception that we are paying a high premium for those models because of 3d, when in fact it's really because they are the best of the best for 2d viewing. Some people might not feel that the difference in performance between Panasonics GT30 and VT30 is worth the extra few hundred dollars, that's up to the individual, but regardless better is still better.

I've only got a handful of 3d blu-rays, I don't use the feature often, but it is good to be able to have the option there. I certainly don't feel I paid for the 3d feature at all when I bought my 59" d8000 plasma, instead I feel I paid an exceptional price for such a great quality 2d tv, which is the truth. Anyone who complains about $2000au (which was roughly the price I bought my tv for in October, but has gone down in price even further since then) for such a good tv, has unrealistic expectations about the price of quality consumer electronics IMO.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Lebanon, Mo
Send a message via Skype™ to jwblu

About time, I was getting tired of seeing so many TV's being overpriced for something as silly as 3D.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
you wont be rocking on when 3D is the new HDDVD in another year or so
I will always rock on..

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Special Member

Sep 2010
Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
If 3d were to disappear, I doubt it would do anything to decrease overall tv prices. I guarantee manufacturers flagship models such as the Sharp Elite, Panasonic VT30, Samsung D8000 etc, would still be exactly the same price even if they didn't have 3d capabilities. It's a misconception that we are paying a high premium for those models because of 3d, when in fact it's really because they are the best of the best for 2d viewing. Some people might not feel that the difference in performance between Panasonics GT30 and VT30 is worth the extra few hundred dollars, that's up to the individual, but regardless better is still better.
exactly.

I've only got a handful of 3d blu-rays, I don't use the feature often, but it is good to be able to have the option there. I certainly don't feel I paid for the 3d feature at all when I bought my 59" d8000 plasma, instead I feel I paid an exceptional price for such a great quality 2d tv, which is the truth. Anyone who complains about $2000au (which was roughly the price I bought my tv for in October, but has gone down in price even further since then) for such a good tv, has unrealistic expectations about the price of quality consumer electronics IMO.
exactly.I don't watch everything in 3D.But I'm glad I have that option.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I think it's mostly a sign that people rather not have to wear glasses to see in 3D. Just think about what you're seeing right now with your own two functioning eyes?

Seeing in three dimensions is normal for most humans and predator animals, but having to put on glasses to see 3D on a screen is the only gimmick. Once the glasses disappear, there will be more interest in the "3D gimmick".

I'm personally not a fan of active 3D glasses, as the one's I've worn are a bit heavy, and really dig in on the bridge of the nose, leaving a big indentation when you take the glasses off. I prefer the Theater Real D 3D glasses, that work with passive 3D sets.

Sony and a few other companies are currently developing technology for watching 3D without the need for glasses. Everything needed to see the 3D is already on the TV set screen. Cost would be high at first, and the technology would need to improve before it goes mainstream.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 02-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #17

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Thumbs up

..to paraphrase, misquote and parody Lucas' 3D creations, I'd say;

"Poor viewing 3D it is, enjoy it you will not! Overcharge you they will."

At the end of this saga, it is the people or amount of people that consume a new product that furthers its development and replication. The film industry can banter huge sum's of money into making films & technology all they want, till the money stream drys up. The faster they're making 3d a flop by ignoring the larger majority of people not been 'into' 3d, the quicker they will succeed in an epic fail.

I got an infraction point many moons ago. Why? Because I was bringing peoples attention to the psychical side effects of this revolution on the human body. Has the technology removed the eye-strain/headaches from a large group of views, no. Have they admitted (if as I was; branded a troll) that around a quarter of all people suffer some side-effects, yes. Maybe we could debate this yes part as most information stems from surveys.

4k yes, 3D never

Last edited by GunZenBomZ; 02-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #18

Jun 2009
Lima, Peru - Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
exactly.I don't watch everything in 3D.But I'm glad I have that option.
Just upgraded a couple of weeks ago to a Samsung 55 inch 3D TV.
Great point, people ask me "so everything is in 3D?" No is a great 2D TV with a 3D option (That looks great by the way).
Notice that many of the "haters" don't even have a 3D TV. I'll believe the reports when I get it from a respected source.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #19

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

I don't see 3D failing at this moment , if the best selling tv sets are 3D capable, there are a lot of upcoming 3D titles to the theaters, and the blueray 3D section at the stores are getting bigger and bigger ... Besides that the top of the line 3D sets are olso the best 2D performers, so 3D haters if you want the besf 2D picture you still have to buy a 3D set....
Lol.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Columbus, Ohio

I highly doubt we will be seeing the end of 3d any time soon. Samsung is still going to make them, just not advertise them. That is a far cry from "we will not be making more 3d tv's because no one wants them". They are just going to stop marketing them as anyone who wants 3d already knows about it enough by now that it really isn't needed.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors