Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59
9 hrs ago
Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
23 hrs ago
Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
4 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
The Pale Door (Blu-ray)
$14.59

Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$8.99
4 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

INXS: Live Baby Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.28

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
Default CD Video (CDV) - Do you remember this format?

This morning, I was cleaning up some stray titles in my digital music library. When I couldn't find the source album of the titles, I remembered they came from a CDV of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven." I bought it at AAFES in 1988 when I was stationed in Germany. Had totally forgotten about it. I never got to see the video because I didn't have a LaserDisc player, but I was able to rip the audio tracks.

From Wikipedia:
CD Video (also known as CDV, CD-V, or CD+V) is a format of optical media disc that was introduced in 1987 that combines the technologies of standard compact disc and LaserDisc. CD-V discs are the same size as a standard 12-cm audio CD, and contain up to 20 minutes' worth of CD Audio that can be played on any audio CD player. It also contains up to 5 minutes of LaserDisc video information with digital CD-quality sound, which can be played back on a newer LaserDisc player capable of playing CD-V discs.

One of the first LaserDisc players that can play CD-V discs is the Pioneer CLD-1010 from 1987. Though it is a CD-based format, CD Video was never given a rainbow book designation; the idea of encoding analogue video, which is incompatible between different regions, was poorly received by CD stakeholders other than Philips, who had not consulted them prior to demonstrating the format to the music industry.

CD Video discs have a distinctive gold color, to differentiate them from regular silver-colored audio CDs. This is a characteristic that would later be replicated in HVD, a more advanced disc format.

A similar version of CD Video called Video Single Disc (VSD) was also released. It is basically the same as CD Video, but it only has the analog video track (occupying the whole storage space of the disc), so it is in effect a small LaserDisc.

CD Video was targeted toward teenagers who watched music videos on MTV. However, few of them were familiar with LaserDiscs, and far fewer owned CDV-compatible players at the time. Buying a costly new player was not an option just for the minor use of playing a single music video more easily accessible through a VHS videocassette, either purchased pre-recorded or recorded off a television programme with a VCR.

The term "CD Video" and its logo were also used on some full-size (8- and 12-inch) LaserDiscs with digital audio (for movies as well as for music titles), to distinguish them from the previous LaserVision format with analog audio and, presumably, to leverage the consumer recognition of the successful CD-Audio format.

Though CD Video lasted only a few years in the marketplace and began disappearing by 1991, its legacy would live on with the all-digital MPEG-based Video CD format, which came out a few years later in 1993.
NTSC CDV Releases:

Code:
Artist                       Title                             Label                      Year
Animals                      Shake, Rattle, and Roll
Badarou, Wally               Hi Life                           Island                         1988
Badarou, Wally               Hi Life (Promo)                   Island                         1988
Badfinger                    Come and Get It                   EMI (Japan)                    1990
Baker, Anita                 Sweet Love                        Elektra                        1988
Bananarama                   Venus                             London                         1988
Bangles                      In Your Room                                                     1990
Beach Boys                   California Girls                  Pioneer (Japan)                1991
Bee Gees                     Massachusetts                     Pioneer (Japan)
Black Sabbath                Iron Man                          Pioneer (Japan)                1990
Bon Jovi                     Livin' On a Prayer                Mercury (Japan)                1988
Bon Jovi                     Livin' On a Prayer                Mercury/Polygram               1988
Bon Jovi                     Never Say Goodbye                 Mercury/Polygram               1988
Bon Jovi                     Wanted Dead or Alive              Mercury/Polygram               1988
Bon Jovi                     You Give Love a Bad Name          Mercury/Polygram               1988
Bowie, David                 Jazz For Blue Jean
Bruce Hornsby and the Range  The Way It Is                     RCA                            1987
Cameo                        Candy                             Atlanta                        1988
Cameo                        Word Up!                          Atlanta                        1988
Cinderella                   Don't Know What You Got           PMV                            1988
Cinderella                   Gypsy Road                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
Cinderella                   Nobody's Fool                     Mercury/Polygram               1988
Cinderella                   Nobody's Fool                     Mercury/Polygram (Japan)       1992
Cinderella                   Somebody Save Me                  Mercury/Polygram               1988
Cinderella                   The Last Mile                     Mercury/Polygram               1988
Clark, Will                  1989 Season Highlights            Laserstar                      1989
Cray, Robert                 Don't Be Afraid of the Dark       Mercury/Polygram               1988
Cray, Robert                 Right Next Door                   Mercury/Polygram               1988
Cray, Robert                 Smoking Gun                       Mercury                        1987
Cray, Robert                 Smoking Gun (Promo)               Mercury/Polygram               1986
Cream                        Strange Brew                      Pioneer (Japan)                1991
Crowded House                Don't Dream It's Over             Capitol                        1986
Cure                         Just Like Heaven                  Elektra                        1988
Cure                         Just Like Heaven                  Fiction (Japan)                1989
Curiosity Killed the Cat     Misfit                            Mercury (Japan)                1987
Curiosity Killed the Cat     Misfit                            Mercury (Japan)                1987
Cutting Crew                 I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight  Virgin                         1988
Dan Reed Network             Get to You                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
Dan Reed Network             Get To You                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
David and David              Welcome to the Boomtown           A & M                          1988
Dire Straits                 Brothers in Arms                  Warner Brothers                1988
Dire Straits                 Money for Nothing                 Warner Brothers                1987
Dire Straits                 Sultans of Swing                  Warner Brothers                1988
Dire Straits                 Twisting By the Pool              Warner Brothers                1988
Dire Straits                 Walk of Life                      Warner Brothers                1988
Doors                        Break on Through                  Pioneer (Japan)                1991
Fagan, Donald                New Frontier                      Warner Brothers                1988
Fat Boys                     The Twist                         Mercury/Polygram               1988
Fat Boys                     Wipeout                           Mercury/Polygram               1988
Go West                      Don't Look Down                   Chrysalis                      1987
Godley & Creme               Cry                               Polydor                        1987
Great White                  Call It Rock and Roll             Toshiba-EMI (Japan)            1991
Heart                        Never                             Capitol                        1985
Hothouse Flowers             Don't Go                          London Records/Polygram        1988
Hurricane                    I'm On to You                     Enigma                         1988
Jackson, Freddie             Have You Ever Loved Somebody      Capitol                        1988
Jackson, Janet               Control                           A & M (Japan)                  1988
Joel, Billy                  Honesty                           Sony (Japan)                   1989
Joel, Billy                  Uptown Girl                       Sony (Japan)                   1989
Joel, Billy                  We Didn't Start the Fire          Sony (Japan)                   1989
Kingdom Come                 Get It On                         Mercury/Polygram               1988
Kingdom Come                 What Can Love Be                  Mercury/Polygram               1988
KISS                         Crazy Crazy Nights                Mercury/Polygram               1988
KISS                         Let's Put the X in Sex            Mercury/Polygram               1988
KISS                         Lick It Up                        Polydor                        1987
KISS                         Tears Are Falling                 Mercury/Polygram               1988
KISS                         Turn on the Night                 PMV                            1988
Kool and the Gang            Rags to Riches                    Mercury/Polygram               1988
Kool and the Gang            Stone Love                        PMV                            1988
Kool and the Gang            Victory                           Mercury/Polygram               1987
L.A. Guns                    Sex Action                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
Level 42                     Something About You               Mercury/Polygram               1988
Levert                       Casanova                          Atlanta                        1988
Lovett, Lyle                 She's No Lady She's My Wife       MCA                            1989
Madame X                     Just That Kind of Girl            Atlantic                       1988
Madonna                      Papa Don't Preach                 Sire                           1988
Madonna                      Papa Don't Preach                 Warner Brothers                1988
Malmsteen, Yngwie            Heaven Tonight                    Mercury/Polygram               1987
McCartney, Paul              Birthday                          EMI (Japan)                    1990
McCartney, Paul              Once Upon a Long Ago              EMI (Japan)                    1989
Mellencamp, John Cougar      Check It Out                      Mercury/Polygram               1988
Mellencamp, John Cougar      Lonely Ol' Night                  Mercury/Polygram               1988
Mellencamp, John Cougar      Paper in Fire                     Mercury/Polygram               1988
Men Without Hats             Pop Goes the World                Mercury/Polygram               1988
Moody Blues                  I Know You're Out There Somewhere Mercury/Polygram               1988
Moody Blues                  I Know You're Out There Somewhere Polydor/Threshold              1987
Moody Blues                  No More Lies                      Mercury/Polygram               1988
Moody Blues                  Your Wildest Dreams               Mercury/Polygram               1988
Moody Blues                  Your Wildest Dreams               Polydor                        1988
Mr. Mister                   Kyrie                             RCA                            1988
New Frontier                 Under Fire                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
New Kids on the Block        Please Don't Go Girl              Sony (Japan)
New Kids On the Block        Step By Step                      Sony (Japan)
New Order                    True Faith                        Qwest                          1988
Newman, Randy                I Love L.A.                       Warner Brothers                1988
Palmer, Robert               Addicted to Love                  Island                         1988
Poison                       Talk Dirty to Me                  Capitol                        1988
Poison                       Talk Dirty to Me (Promo)          Capitol                        1986
Police                       Don't Stand So Close to Me        A & M                          1988
Police                       Every Breath You Take             A & M (Japan)                  1989
R.E.M.                       Music From Tourfilm (Promo)       Warner Brothers                1990
Redbone                      Witch Queen                       Pioneer (Japan)                1993
Rush                         The Big Money                     Mercury/Polygram               1988
Sa-Fire                      I've Been Told                    Mercury/Polygram               1988
Scorpions                    Believe In Love                   Mercury/Polygram               1988
Scorpions                    Big City Nights                   Mercury/Polygram               1988
Scorpions                    Rhythm of Love                    Mercury/Polygram               1988
Starship                     Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now       RCA                            1987
T. Rex                       20th Century Boy                  Pioneer (Japan)                1993
Tears For Fears              Everybody Wants to Rule the World Mercury/Polygram               1988
Tears For Fears              Everybody Wants to Rule the World Phonogram                      1988
The Rainmakers               Downstream                        Mercury/Polygram               1988
Three Dog Night              One                               Pioneer (Japan)
Tony! Toni! Tone!            Born Not to Know                  Wing                           1988
Tony! Toni! Tone!            Little Walter                     Wing                           1988
Turner, Tina                 River Deep                        Pioneer (Japan)                1988
Turner, Tina                 What You Get                      Pioneer (Japan)                1987
U2                           With Or Without You               Island                         1988
Various Artists              Bose: Adventures In Sound         Bose
Various Artists              CD Single Demonstration Disc      Magnavox                       1987
Various Artists              Eyes of the Wind                  Philips                        1987
Wham!                        Last Christmas
Williams, Vanessa            The Right Stuff                   Wing                           1988
Winter, Johnny               Johnny B. Goode                   Pioneer (Japan)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Jun 2020

IYou know, I thought I did remember it until the last paragraph of the Wiki...

Quote:
Though CD Video lasted only a few years in the marketplace and began disappearing by 1991, its legacy would live on with the all-digital MPEG-based Video CD format,
And that's what I do remember lol. I remember spending lots of time trying to author Video CD compatible CD-R discs as a way to watch assorted videos from my computer on my TV via our DVD player, since we didn't have a DVD-R drive and it was long before TVs had easy ways to hook up your PC. I don't think I ever got it work, quite a shame. I remember having the dream of re-using CD-RWs to watch anything I wanted.

Had never heard of CD-V, very interesting. RIP to all the niche physical formats that never got their time to shine.
Thanks given by:
Jar Jar Stinks (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

How odd, I just watched this awesome promo video Philips made for CD Video a few days ago (remember to only listen with a right headphone or balance your audio into the right channel only for English):

Thanks given by:
Jar Jar Stinks (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
How odd, I just watched this awesome promo video Philips made for CD Video a few days ago (remember to only listen with a right headphone or balance your audio into the right channel only for English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEpJZlV2ic
Thanks for sharing! I love the simultaneous languages playing through the two channels. I couldn't figure out how to pan to the right channel on my laptop and I was too lazy to look it up... so I might have accidentally learned Dutch while watching it.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
Thanks for sharing! I love the simultaneous languages playing through the two channels. I couldn't figure out how to pan to the right channel on my laptop and I was too lazy to look it up... so I might have accidentally learned Dutch while watching it.
You're welcome, I love promotional videos about media from the 80s.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
You're welcome, I love promotional videos about media from the 80s.
Me too. How do you search for them?
Old 06-18-2020, 04:30 AM   #7
Expert Member

Dec 2015
San Diego, CA

I have a few of these from the band Kiss. Stuff off Crazy nights and Asylum I think.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:31 AM   #8

Apr 2018
Canada

I do remember these and wish I'd managed to collect some of them but by the time I had access to a LaserDisc player, this format had vanished. I still have a working LD player but only one CD-V (I think it's the BOSE one from the list above, not sure where it is right now or even where I got it but I've had it for years)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
Me too. How do you search for them?
I just search for "Laserdisc promo" or something similar to that.

I've also gotten a bit into a channel known as "Techmoan", which is apparently run by Matthew Taylor, an English guy who speaks well and I find is really fun to listen to. He buys retro tech products, gets them working again if necessary, and tests them out in his videos. This sort of stuff is only partly what he does, but he's produced some really enlightening videos about retro home video formats that I enjoyed:

I haven't watched his video on CD Video yet, but I will shortly. I have watched his videos on CED, D-VHS, Laserdisc (including a two part follow-up on Japanese MUSE Hi-Vision LDs), and VHD, the Japan-only format, for which he also did follow-up videos on how VHD had discs made and almost launched in the UK and the USA. All of these videos are fantastic, and he has loads more, so definitely check them out because what I have mentioned is just a fraction of his content.

CD Video:

Here are the other Techmoan videos I mentioned:

CED:

D-VHS:

Laserdisc:

Japanese MUSE Hi-Viison Laserdisc:

Part 1:

Part 2:

VHD (and not just in Japan, but in the UK and the US!):

Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (07-11-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

CD-Video is basically just laserdisc under a different branding.

What I do find interesting is that 1) you could get a regular compact disc that'd play in an ordinary CD player, but also had a laserdisc video track that could play in a laserdisc player, and 2) they made players specifically to play this particular type of disc; it was basically a CD player but with the video circuits to read the analog video track and the included digital audio one.

It's kind of funny, they were aiming at a demographic that couldn't afford the product. Even the CD-V single players were pretty expensive as I understand, plus you could only play the smallest CDV discs on it. I wonder if they made a player that'd only play discs up to the 8 inch size?
Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Even more bizarre was the 'MovieCD' format from 1996. It was in pathetically low 320x236 resolution for playback on computers with Windows 3.1, 95, etc. I only recall briefly seeing them at the local video game/computer software store and they were sold in the clamshell style cases more common for audiobooks. Seems like I might've owned several but the only one I can recall having for sure was Arcade from Full Moon. There were very few titles released and it was kind of a short-lived novelty for its time with dvd released the following year.

Last edited by meremortal; 06-20-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Evanston,Il

I remember having the cd-v of David Bowie's Ashes To Ashes video from his Sound And Vision boxed set.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I had a few titles on Phillips CD-I. Basically VCD with some "interactive" stuff put on top.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Special Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
I had a few titles on Phillips CD-I. Basically VCD with some "interactive" stuff put on top.
Yeah, that's not the same thing at all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion