Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59
8 hrs ago
Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
22 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$8.99
3 hrs ago
The Pale Door (Blu-ray)
$14.59

The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

INXS: Live Baby Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.28

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Watch Dogs Legion - PS5

Purchase Watch Dogs Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*
Upgrade to PlayStation®5 Version: Watch Dogs Legion PlayStation®4 game on Blu-ray Disc™ must be kept inserted in a PlayStation®5 console to play the corresponding Watch Dogs Legion PlayStation®5 digital version at no additional cost, when available.
Requires a PlayStation®5, the game Blu-ray Disc™, a PlayStation® Network registration, additional storage & Broadband internet connection. May incur bandwidth usage fees.

https://store.ubi.com/anz/watch-dogs...news___ORW____

Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

At 6:15 in that video, John Wick takes over, with his moves and even the same electronic music from the movie if it's in the game. Pretty cool.

The camera is closer too, as with the first game thankfully for both on foot and on a motorcycle. Good.

No release date yet.

For a free upgrade, that's a nice option for anyone who buys WDL for the PS4. It's currently 39.99 on amazon last time I checked for pre-order. Only thing is the PS4 version disc will just be a key, and the full PS5 version will need to be downloaded digitally to get the ps5 version as the catch. Interesting offer, though I want the ps5 version on disc.

I like the idea of playing as any character. Driver San Francisco on PS3 did that but with cars.
Thanks given by:
Mavrick (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

When you upgrade the PS4 version you need to keep the PS4 disc in the the PS5 in order for the PS5 version to work.

If you bought it digitally then it will just work as normal.

So if you buy the disc version on PS4 then you would only be able to upgrade to the PS5 version if you have the Disc based PS5.

Common sense really.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
No release date yet.
October 29th 2020
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

October 29, 2020 for Watch Dogs Legion on PS5? That'd be awesome, thanks.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
Power Member

May 2007
San Diego

Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
When you upgrade the PS4 version you need to keep the PS4 disc in the the PS5 in order for the PS5 version to work.

If you bought it digitally then it will just work as normal.

So if you buy the disc version on PS4 then you would only be able to upgrade to the PS5 version if you have the Disc based PS5.

Common sense really.
Here's my question though. Is it going to add a digital copy to your "library" of games and then when you download you have to insert the disk OR does it mean you have to insert a disk and then a digital version specifically for the disk upgrade downloads automatically if you say for example deleted and try to re-install the application.

I also think if there's no time limit that's great. Maybe there's two digital editions. A "proper" digital version upgrade from any PS4 digital purchase and one with a "marker" that knows you have to insert a disk from the PS4 to play.

It's great so far that it's happening for disk users. Just need a little more clarification if it's limited time, or "forever" in your library and just needs a disk inserted when you try to play that PS4 disk upgraded version.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I think if you buy digital on PS4 and there is a PS5 version then you just sign in on your PS5 head over to the library or relevant section of the store to download the PS5 version.

With the disc I'm willing to bet that when you insert the PS4 version in to the PS5 it will trigger a download of the full PS5 version and the disc acts as a key to let you play once it's downloaded.

Other option could be that it installs portions of the PS4 disc whilst requiring an update to add the PS5 relevant portions.

What I noticed on Amazon is that the Xbox version of Far Cry 6 was just one version and the case has Xbox Series X and Xbox One top left on the black bar and a sticker saying optimised for Series X. So it looks like on Xbox at least for cross gen releases they will just be releasing one game disc in one case that encompasses the entire xbox family.

Now with the PS4 pre orders they just showed PS4 on the case as normal and the upgrade to PS5 is mentioned in the small print. So I wonder if PS5 will be having separate disc releases for PS5 cross gen games. I'll admit it would be confusing to buy or pre order a PS4 branded game in order to play it on PS5.

For those types of games they really should adopt the Xbox approach and release one game one case with both formats on the cover.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

In an update on its website, Ubisoft explained how the next-gen upgrade process will work for its supported titles.

“For digital copies purchased on the Microsoft Store or PlayStation Store, you will be able to download the upgraded version when it becomes available.

“For physical copies, you will be able to download the upgraded version when it becomes available. The disc must be inserted to launch both the current-gen and next-gen versions of the game.

“Next-gen upgrades are not available for physical versions of the game if you have upgraded to a discless console. It is also not possible to upgrade from a digital current-gen edition to a physical next-gen edition.

“Once you have completed the upgrade, you will still be able to play your game on your PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.

Any additional digital content unlocked on the current-gen version of the game will be transferred to the next-gen version, including Season Passes, pre-order offers, and Ubisoft Club rewards.”
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Sounds like there's no time limit on it then to he redeemed off a PS4 disk but i still hope there's a version added to your "library" but you need to keep the disk inserted to play it.

Personally i'm happy Ubisoft is doing it this way and wish all the others end up being simple as this.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

The Legion PC video above helps clear things up with the raytracing in the game as raytraced reflections of puddles, shiny cars and windows showing a mirror of the world around it. Most videos I've seen just say Raytrace but rarely try to explain it, since raytracing can apply to lighting too in computer graphics.

I'd like to have all of those graphical options for a PS5 game, but they probably won't allow it since the PS5 is a solid console with no need for upgrading hardware as a PC may need to play a high end game.

With the final game, I'm guessing if they're releasing the PS4 version first, they're probably going to have a separate disc release for the PS5 version of Watch Dogs Legion.

I agree it would be easier if they had both versions in one case, PS4/PS5, with the game working on both consoles. But if the PS5 games are stored on a UHD disc with more data, then I can understand why they wouldn't be able to do that for a PS4 since it can't play a UHD. At this point though, I imagine WDL PS5 version might be able to fit on a blu ray disc, if Raytracing is one of the only big differences aside from resolution maybe.

I may have heard that for the PC version of WDL, it struggled to run at 60 fps at 1080p, possibly because it had the raytracing on. Not sure, would have to watch it again.
Thanks given by:
Mavrick (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I feel like you will have to pop the disc in to trigger the PS5 version as you could have owned it on PS4 and sold it so even though it would still be in your PS4 library you dont own it so probably wouldn't auto add it based on your PS4 library.

I can imagine a lot of these early games will fit just fine on a 50gb BD. Even then some might just fill up the disc and have a mandatory download for the rest if that's cheaper than printing UHD discs.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Regarding Ray Tracing. There's not just one version for it which is the problem. It's almost a catch all term for the various permutations and that could be confusing for example if people see something say "Ray Tracing" but then reflections aren't as they've expected them to he but the devs are actually using it for shadows and lighting instead.

I think the DF video above is very interesting. 1080p, Ultra settings, locked 30fps and Ray Tracing using a 2080 Ti. It basically shows you how much grunt is needed to make such games with all that level of details. That's why i'm seriously making 4K/120hz the golden standard for gaming for the next 10 or so years.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #14
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

8K certainly isn't going to take over the PC gaming scene for at least 5-10 years if you ask me and when you consider 4k60 isn't standard on consoles yet it's hard to believe 8K will be around this gen let alone next.

The scene is in dire need of a standardised HDR mode across the board because some games are worse with HDR on than off which is sad.

Give us better colours and better frame rates at the resolutions we already have before trying to push more pixels than we need.

I'm still waiting for the magical game that comes along and utilises every aspect of RTRT at once.

We've had ray traces shadows in tomb raider, ray traces reflections in BFV and global illumination in Metro. I'd love to see a single game harness all of that at once but I just dont know if it's possible yet.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
8K certainly isn't going to take over the PC gaming scene for at least 5-10 years if you ask me and when you consider 4k60 isn't standard on consoles yet it's hard to believe 8K will be around this gen let alone next.

The scene is in dire need of a standardised HDR mode across the board because some games are worse with HDR on than off which is sad.

Give us better colours and better frame rates at the resolutions we already have before trying to push more pixels than we need.

I'm still waiting for the magical game that comes along and utilises every aspect of RTRT at once.

We've had ray traces shadows in tomb raider, ray traces reflections in BFV and global illumination in Metro. I'd love to see a single game harness all of that at once but I just dont know if it's possible yet.
PC space is on the potential cusp of more RTRT features and higher FPS being possible and maybe up to Native 4K/60fps perhaps with the 3000 series and if "Big Navi" materialised to challenge Nvidia at that high end.

8K isn't going to serve gaming well at all, in terms of PC or consoles anytime soon however from a marketing standpoint it will probably be used simply because its the biggest buzzword they can muster. Nobody will care as much if they say 4K/120fps since they used that for this next gen coming and 8K wasn't atm focused on but possibly they might for a PS5 Pro.

Personally i want to have native 4K/120fps running all the bells and whistles of the highest settings for future games. Just because one game has the same resolution or FPS though, doesn't mean they look the same. So there's also all the massive improvements to texture quality, rendering distances etc. which can be improved upon in games over say a medium like movies which is more one dimensional in where the improvements were say from DVD vs Blu Ray and even vs UHD outside the exception of them needing HDR to market alongside a resolution bump.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

I played the 1st Watch Dogs but never completed it as I lost interest in it. Never played the 2nd one because of how I felt about the 1st one. This new installment looks neat but still unsure if I'll get it. May wait for a sale.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

For me, the first thing I do in an open world game is try to explore on foot or by vehicle to see the full open world when possible. Just experiencing a new world to explore is fun IMO, without getting into combat or anything else. Just sight seeing.

After that, then I'll go into the main missions after any mandatory tutorial missions. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 allowed for that nicely, so hopefully this will too.

My concern about Legion is certain sections will be locked down and restricted, so if you enter them, it'll trigger the alarm and they'll chase until they kill the player, or you escape.

So if Watch Dogs Legion is 59.99 or 69.99 for a PS5 disc version, and the PS4 disc version is 49.99 at the moment on sale at amazon .com (it was 39.99 a few days ago) and later playable for free on the PS5 with a free PS5 upgrade with the disc or digital PS4 version, then it seems like a decent idea to get the sale price if one wants to play it on release day, and use the PS4 disc as a key to download the PS5 version when it's completed maybe by early 2021.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5