Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Scare Package (Blu-ray)
$14.59
8 hrs ago
Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$66.99
22 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Stephen King 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Ready or Not (Blu-ray)
$8.99
3 hrs ago
The Pale Door (Blu-ray)
$14.59

The Dark Knight 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

INXS: Live Baby Live 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.28

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel
Default Setting in my ONKYO HT-S3800-B 5.1

Hi guys.

So, i was having trubbels with the HTC, the voice of the people (when it was no back sound like explitions and stuff), was very low, i think it was because i nedd it to up the volumen of the center speaker.

After playing a few hs and days, this is what i did.

The master volumen is between 30 and 35 (the maximum is 68)

Front & center speakes.

Back speaker.

Between the TV wall and the back speaker is 2.5 meters. (i put that in the reciber)

Now, i can choose on the reciber SURR or DSP (All CH Stereo), my dad thinks the DSP is more like in the theathers, i was thinking that SURR need to be like in the theathers, am i wrong?

This is a video of the same movie (a few minutes with DSP and after SURR when is not back sound like explitions and stuff and after a minute more or less, the same but with back sound).

Can you lisent any diference?

And another thing, when is on SURR, the back speakers, i need to put my ear very close to the speaker to lisent, with the DSP not, is suppouse to be like that?

Anyway, if you can help me to setting the Onkyo in the best way, i will be very grateful :-)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Guydowood, GA

Have you tried using the ACCUEQ room calibration mic that comes with all Onkyo receivers. It's not the greatest measurement set-up, but it does do the trick and from your pics it looks as if your space is small. The ACCUEQ will measure your room and speaker placements and set them as best as it can. Once done you can tweak it to your listening pleasure.
Thanks given by:
kurko1992 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #3

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel

i heart about that, buy my came without that :-(

Anyway, i think that now is working like suppouse to do, that video is not that good so you can help me i saw in my PC :-(.

But after i read a few thing, i understood this: (in simple words)
1) if the movie/tv show came with sound 7.1/5.1 i need to use the "direct or surr".
2) if came with 2.0, i need to use the DSP.

More or less. jeje.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

DSP is a range of sound options for users to select, I general avoid them. My Yamaha had a host of options like Sci-Fi, Action and so on. They often shift the speaker delays to create a larger stage.

You can stick to Surround in most cases, Direct can be useful if you're after the truest source representation without and post-processing. Some AVRs don't always playback mono signals unless you select Direct.

If you're listening to 2.0 you can use Dolby PII or DTS: Neo to create surround sound. You don't have to use DSP.
Thanks given by:
kurko1992 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
DSP is a range of sound options for users to select, I general avoid them. My Yamaha had a host of options like Sci-Fi, Action and so on. They often shift the speaker delays to create a larger stage.

You can stick to Surround in most cases, Direct can be useful if you're after the truest source representation without and post-processing. Some AVRs don't always playback mono signals unless you select Direct.

If you're listening to 2.0 you can use Dolby PII or DTS: Neo to create surround sound. You don't have to use DSP.

Hi, i my reciber, to use Dolby PII or DTS: Neo, i have to put is before in DSP (or that what i remember now, those 2 things are part of the selection, like in your you have si-fi and other? in my i have rock, sport, games and a few more and also Dolby PII & DTS: Neo, part of the DSP option )

But again, is depends of the movie/tv show.
For example, yesterday i was waching Batman 1966 in Bluray and is 1.0 jaja, so DSP All Channels in Stereo was veter that the rest (and i try everithing jeje)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:38 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Personally, I'd cycle through the SURR button until you get DOLBY PLII MOVIE or NEO:6 CINEMA Movie, then you'll get Surround with your mono or stereo movies. DSP is fine, but I've never felt much need for it, but it's worth experimenting.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel

Quote:
Personally, I'd cycle through the SURR button until you get DOLBY PLII MOVIE or NEO:6 CINEMA Movie, then you'll get Surround with your mono or stereo movies. DSP is fine, but I've never felt much need for it, but it's worth experimenting.
now i'm watchin rouge one 4k.
I put in DSP, is the only one that i can change and look for what you say, but only have DOBLY, i don't know why i can't choose NEO now :-( (maeby is becouse the movie i'm watching?)

In the direct mode is ok (master volumen at 40, maximum is 68), in DSP ALL... is to high at 40.
In DOBLY i don't like how is sound, jaja.
With the SURR, sound the same like DIRECT. :-(

Something else, a few people told me to check the DBs of each speaker, rhat needs to be in 75, i did and now the settings are like this.

Is good? Supoouse to be like this?

I'm geting a little tired actually
Old 07-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
If the source is Dolby Digital, DTS, or Dolby Surround encoded, the proper Decoding format will automatically be selected and shows in the display.
You can't change true surround formats, they'll output as intended, but you output them with DSP.

Changing the speaker levels is often required to create a balanced sound stage, but you may have to do additional tweaking if you're having the surrounds overpowering the dialogue, the numbers themselves are meaningless to the point that they need to suit your specific environment only.

So if those numbers sound great, then they're good numbers!
Thanks given by:
kurko1992 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #9

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel

Quote:
You can't change true surround formats, they'll output as intended, but you output them with DSP.

Changing the speaker levels is often required to create a balanced sound stage, but you may have to do additional tweaking if you're having the surrounds overpowering the dialogue, the numbers themselves are meaningless to the point that they need to suit your specific environment only.

So if those numbers sound great, then they're good numbers!

I needed to up the center because of the voices, i think now is on 10 or 12.
I think i finish with that part, sound good.

About the other thing, like i said (and you said now), when it was a 4K movie, and i put it in SURR, i could not change it between DOLBY PLII MOVIE or NEO:6 CINEMA Movie and others, but when i was watching a tv show that is only AC3 2.0, i could, jeje, so i was rigth, it's depends of the movie/tv show.

Now i left on NEO:6 CINEMA Movie, is a little annoying that i need to play with that stuff depends os the movie :-(, but more or less i think that like it is now, is good enoght for everithing.

Thanks again for the help :-)
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Generally unless you're on DIRECT you should find that you automatically stay in the mode you want, Blu-rays and UHDs will output in their native formats and everything else will stay in a surround mode. You'd only have to change when you want to listen to things in mono or stereo.
Thanks given by:
kurko1992 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #11

Dec 2012
Bat Yam, Israel

Quote:
Generally unless you're on DIRECT you should find that you automatically stay in the mode you want, Blu-rays and UHDs will output in their native formats and everything else will stay in a surround mode. You'd only have to change when you want to listen to things in mono or stereo.

Yes, i saw that.
I was watching the movie in the BR Player and was in direct, and change back to the PC and to SURR, and was still on NEO... (like i left before).

I left it on NEO.. because i'm not the only one that i use it, but when i'm use it i can change and play, the other people don't know jaja

Anyway, thanks again for the help here and in my other topic.
Took me 2 months and 1 week to get evrething like i wanted jaja :-(
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurko1992 View Post
Yes, i saw that.
I was watching the movie in the BR Player and was in direct, and change back to the PC and to SURR, and was still on NEO... (like i left before).

I left it on NEO.. because i'm not the only one that i use it, but when i'm use it i can change and play, the other people don't know jaja

Anyway, thanks again for the help here and in my other topic.
Took me 2 months and 1 week to get everything like i wanted jaja :-(
No worries, mate, enjoy your new AVR.
Thanks given by:
kurko1992 (07-28-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion