Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Jaws 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
Parasite 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
7 hrs ago
The Deer Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
21 Bridges (Blu-ray)
$12.99

One Cut of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Spaced Invaders (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
The Invisible Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Ghost Ship (Blu-ray)
$24.96

The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part One (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 142 69.27%
500-599 48 23.41%
600-699 6 2.93%
700+ 9 4.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #4821
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
My PS4 will be long gone by the time my PS5 is set up so I will need to reinstall/download everything to my HDD fresh anyway.
Not worth keeping as a back up Blu-ray player?
Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #4822
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
My PS4 will be long gone by the time my PS5 is set up so I will need to reinstall/download everything to my HDD fresh anyway.
If you have an external hard drive, you could always keep any game you actually plan on playing on your PS5 and just transfer it. At least as far as I know. That's what I plan on doing whenever I end up getting a PS5, which is still likely a year or more after launch for me.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM   #4823
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I get from PS4 Pro,

Better WiFi on PS4 (10ms more from Xbox)
Better Audio on PS4 (6db higher level)

than Xbox One X.

On mine I also get higher speeds but because I use SSD.

So if Resolution & FPS are the same on PS5 & SX, I値l probably skip most SX titles & just only buy exclusives.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #4824
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
If you have an external hard drive, you could always keep any game you actually plan on playing on your PS5 and just transfer it. At least as far as I know. That's what I plan on doing whenever I end up getting a PS5, which is still likely a year or more after launch for me.
I think the USB drive has to be 3.2.

I currently have two USB 3.0 drives.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #4825
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Not worth keeping as a back up Blu-ray player?
I use my PS3 for my blu-ray player . Its still going strong with no issues after 10.5 years. Worst case if I ever need a back up they can be had for $50.

Quote:
I知 going to keep them installed and see if its just plug and play when PS5 is out but I expect to need to redownload and reinstall everything.
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (03-29-2020), Steedeel (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #4826
Power Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDGAR1000 View Post
Yes, they'll be using 4k discs as well for the next generation.
I only buy physical disks for gaming as you can sell on the games when you've completed it. 4k 100gb disks is great.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #4827
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I use my PS3 for my blu-ray player . Its still going strong with no issues after 10.5 years. Worst case if I ever need a back up they can be had for $50.

I知 going to keep them installed and see if its just plug and play when PS5 is out but I expect to need to redownload and reinstall everything.
I知 keeping both. PS4 and PS3. Like you say, the PS3 is a tank, it just goes on and on!
Thanks given by:
Blu-Curry (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 07:04 PM   #4828
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

PS5 Operating System To Feature 選nteractive Interfaces Suggests New Patent

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20200086217.pdf

This backs up previous comments from Mark Cerny, the lead PS5 architect, during an interview with Wired last year. It sounds like Sony is keen to blur the line between the user痴 game and the console operating system by implementing aspects of a game痴 user interface into the PS5痴 menu, which sounds like a logical step for next-gen.

Quote:
We don稚 want the player to have to boot the game, see what痴 up, boot the game, see what痴 up. Multiplayer game servers will provide the console with the set of joinable activities in real time.
Quote:
Single player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #4829
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post

I didn't realize that, or just didn't bother reading. That sucks since I doubt any of us has one, although I suppose maybe some companies could come out with adapters you could just plug the USB plug into.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #4830
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
I didn't realize that, or just didn't bother reading. That sucks since I doubt any of us has one, although I suppose maybe some companies could come out with adapters you could just plug the USB plug into.
I thought USB 3.2 is backwards compatible with all existing products.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #4831
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Boot time from console start up could be crazy.

A fully powered off system could be ready for input demand a second or two from power on button/system press. Then if you already have a game in mind you want to play, another button press will take you there within a few seconds.

Instead of you waiting for the System to turn on & run games, next gen looks like it値l be opposite. The System will be waiting on you. Could be a surreal experience.
Thanks given by:
emailking (04-02-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #4832
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Boot time from console start up could be crazy.

A fully powered off system could be ready for input demand a second or two from power on button/system press. Then if you already have a game in mind you want to play, another button press will take you there within a few seconds.

Instead of you waiting for the System to turn on & run games, next gen looks like it値l be opposite. The System will be waiting on you. Could be a surreal experience.
It's one of the reasons Cerney even had to mention in the GDC presentation about "slowing down" the speed at which gamers can get into a game or loading so it doesn't feel too jarring.

To me, i love the idea of extremely quick load times and instantly having assets stream in far, far ahead to keep draw distances as amazing as possible but i do hope that the biggest help of the NVMe in the PS5 helps to nail higher FPS too.

This next gen coming will be a weird one to compare because Sony is fundamentally trying to change their game design philosophy whilst MS remain attached to the current way and as such have stuck their feet in with a higher spec as a result.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #4833
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

I will believe it when I see it. We were told the PS4 would have very small loading times and the interface would be silky smooth. They were wrong.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #4834
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I will believe it when I see it. We were told the PS4 would have very small loading times and the interface would be silky smooth. They were wrong.
True but i'm a little bit more optimistic with the speed of the NVMe in helping us this time to actually realise that quick UI. Right now saving a game clip whilst playing a game can take years and you can't leave the menu otherwise you lose the entire clip you wanted to save.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #4835
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Essentially we could eliminate the need for a game to have a boot screen or menus at all. The way this new system works could allow you to turn your PS5 on and have access to all your installed games from the system UI meaning you just hop across to the game you want to play, CoD for example, and the games menu options just appear right there in the PS5 system UI itself. Select Multiplayer and you're instantly in the lobby matchmaking without ever having to boot up the game at all as it's a persistent state always ready to go.
Thanks given by:
emailking (04-02-2020), Steedeel (03-29-2020), Zivouhr (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:22 PM   #4836
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Yes, the 1 second to a few seconds loading times are impressive to hear about for most PS5 games when booting them up each time if that's the situation Cerny was talking about.

There was a side by side comparison of Spider-Man PS4 vs it on the PS5, and what took 8 to 20 seconds to load on PS4, took 1/2 second on PS5 from what I saw.

Will games still be $59.99 hopefully or less?
In the final years of PS4, prices appear in the $49.99 range for many new games now, which is unusual but welcome.

Average Pricing of games over the history of consoles from what I remember:
Atari 2600 and Colecovision games: $29.99 per new game.
NES and SegaMS games: $39.99 per new game.
Genesis and SuperNES: $39.99 per new game.
PS1 games: $49.99
PS2 and XBox games: $49.99
PS3 and XB360 games: $59.99
PS4 and XB1 games: $59.99
PS5 and XB1S games: $59.99 is the expectation.

Quote:
Quote:

I found some new USB 3.2 external hard drives online, ranging from $59 to $200+, so that's not too bad if PS5 isn't compatible with the 3.0 External Hard drive I have for the PS4. It'll be interesting how the transfer process of updated games on disc and digital games on and linked to the external drive will be transferred to the PS5.

100 most popular PS4 games will be available to play on PS5 sounds like they have to either test them or alter the PS5's reader in some way to be accepted by the PS5. Suggesting that the games Sony hasn't looked at may not be compatible.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #4837
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
100 most popular PS4 games will be available to play on PS5 sounds like they have to either test them or alter the PS5's reader in some way to be accepted by the PS5. Suggesting that the games Sony hasn't looked at may not be compatible.
No, no. It's not JUST the top 100 PS4 games that will be available to play at launch. Sony clarified this. They said that the "overwhelming majority" of available PS4 titles will be playable day one. They are testing them right now to make sure they are running ok. The top 100 most played were just the first ones they started testing. So basically, any game that matters will be guaranteed to run on PS5 day one. I dont think too many will gripe if Tembo The Badass Elephant runs janky on PS5.

Also regarding game prices, if history is anything to go by, we can expect to see a 10.00 uptick on the retail price for most games to 69.99.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 03-29-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 AM   #4838
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
No, no. It's not JUST the top 100 PS4 games that will be available to play at launch. Sony clarified this. They said that the "overwhelming majority" of available PS4 titles will be playable day one. They are testing them right now to make sure they are running ok. The top 100 most played were just the first ones they started testing. So basically, any game that matters will be guaranteed to run on PS5 day one. I dont think too many will gripe if Tembo The Badass Elephant runs janky on PS5.

Also regarding game prices, if history is anything to go by, we can expect to see a 10.00 uptick on the retail price for most games to 69.99.
All (99.9%) of PS4 games should play fine on PS5. The 100 games he mentioned were games they looked at in which the PS5 Improved Performance ala Resolution or Framerate or both. Kinda reminds me of when Pro was introduced, people wanted to know if their existing library would see any benefits.

That痴 my take on it. I could be wrong. Reason being, they stated they are testing 1000痴 of titles before launch.

Hopefully US pricing on games remains the same. Canada痴 dollar is worthless compared to US so we charge $79.99. If US bumps the price up $10, I could see Canadian痴 also Facing a $10 hike (or more) on top of the $80 we already pay.
Thanks given by:
emailking (04-02-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #4839
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Hopefully pricing doesn't go up in the UK. Never paying more than 」40 new and that's not gonna change anytime soon really for 99% of releases. If i have to wait for a price drop l, so be it.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #4840
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
True but i'm a little bit more optimistic with the speed of the NVMe in helping us this time to actually realise that quick UI. Right now saving a game clip whilst playing a game can take years and you can't leave the menu otherwise you lose the entire clip you wanted to save.
Hope you are right. If I come out of COD for a few seconds in the lobby it slows to a crawl.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5