Best iTunes Music Deals

Best iTunes Music Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Gorillaz: Humanz (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Gorillaz: D-Sides (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Bloodbath: Grand Morbid Funeral (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Pop Evil: Onyx (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Avenged Sevenfold: Hail to the King (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
LINKIN PARK: LIVING THINGS (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Gorillaz: The Singles Collection 2001-2011 (iTunes)
$6.99
1 day ago
Deftones: Koi No Yokan (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Deftones: Koi No Yokan (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Deftones: Gore (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
LINKIN PARK: The Hunting Party (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Mastodon: Once More 'Round the Sun (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2013
Washington
Question Confused about adding a soundbar to my TV/Blu-ray setup

Most of the in-depth home theater discussion is way over my head (and budget), so bear with me if I seem a little slow on the uptake here.

My bedroom currently has a 42" Samsung Series 6 6300 television, a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player, and I'm looking at adding a soundbar to he mix. I'm leaning towards the Denon DHT-S216 Slim Home Theater Sound Bar.

So using the 'Setup 2' option I found at https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-audio...for-beginners/, should I anticipate problems with audio lag? (Second graphic above) It's the one thing that probably bugs me more than anything when it comes to watching movies, and coming from the days of single left and right speakers, this new method just looks... fishy? I don't know, I guess I'm just not sure how there wouldn't be lag. My brain is looking at the graphic above and saying "Well the sound from the Blu-ray player will arrive before the picture and throw everything slightly off..."

I use this television for watching movies on disc only, so I don't have to contend with any issues of cable / streaming / gaming, ect. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these kinds of setups?
Old 10-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Most of the in-depth home theater discussion is way over my head (and budget), so bear with me if I seem a little slow on the uptake here.

My bedroom currently has a 42" Samsung Series 6 6300 television, a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player, and I'm looking at adding a soundbar to he mix. I'm leaning towards the Denon DHT-S216 Slim Home Theater Sound Bar.

So using the 'Setup 2' option I found at https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-audio...for-beginners/, should I anticipate problems with audio lag? (Second graphic above) It's the one thing that probably bugs me more than anything when it comes to watching movies, and coming from the days of single left and right speakers, this new method just looks... fishy? I don't know, I guess I'm just not sure how there wouldn't be lag. My brain is looking at the graphic above and saying "Well the sound from the Blu-ray player will arrive before the picture and throw everything slightly off..."

I use this television for watching movies on disc only, so I don't have to contend with any issues of cable / streaming / gaming, ect. Does anyone have any advice or experience with these kinds of setups?
I have this type of setup in my bedroom and it’s very simple. The Blu-ray player plugs into the TV via hdmi cable and the soundbar uses an optical cable to hook directly into the Optical input on the tv. There is no issue with audio lag or anything. You might have to go into your tv menu settings to choose the soundbar as your audio source - I’m not an expert at these things, but that is what I had to do with my Sony Bravia.

I don’t have a soundbar with satellite speakers in my bedroom setup but I do have one with satellite speakers and Bluetooth subwoofer with my projector setup in my home theater. With that, I ran the optical cable directly from the soundbar to the Blu-ray player and the blu ray player goes into the projector. There is no lag whatsoever and I imagine if I replaced the projector with a tv it would be exactly the same.

Last edited by omenboy; 10-16-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2013
Washington

Thank you. With the Denon Soundbar I'm looking at, it seems that I could do either option. I had read that audio put through an optical cable wasn't as good - quality-wise - as an HDMI connection, which makes me a bit leery of relying on that method. (The irony here is that I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.) Perhaps it's not as noticeable as some of these audiophile websites make it out to be.

But it's good to know that you've had success with 2 entirely different setups. It gives me hope!
Thanks given by:
omenboy (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Thank you. With the Denon Soundbar I'm looking at, it seems that I could do either option. I had read that audio put through an optical cable wasn't as good - quality-wise - as an HDMI connection, which makes me a bit leery of relying on that method. (The irony here is that I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.) Perhaps it's not as noticeable as some of these audiophile websites make it out to be.

But it's good to know that you've had success with 2 entirely different setups. It gives me hope!
The optical cable method sounds damn good to me while Iím watching lol. I think itís the quality of the soundbar that would be the issue. I am no audiophile either, but I think the optical cable is worth a try.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-16-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:

There isn't any need to connect your player into the sound bar if your TV has ARC, juts plug the player into your TV and connect the TV and sound bar ARC to ARC with an HDMI lead. You shouldn't need to use the optical cable.
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2013
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
There isn't any need to connect your player into the sound bar if your TV has ARC, juts plug the player into your TV and connect the TV and sound bar ARC to ARC with an HDMI lead. You shouldn't need to use the optical cable.
Thank you. It's very difficult to add or upgrade these things one at a time. Something new is always coming along, and something old is always becoming obsolete, so getting everything to work together is more than a little trying.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Thank you. It's very difficult to add or upgrade these things one at a time. Something new is always coming along, and something old is always becoming obsolete, so getting everything to work together is more than a little trying.
Sound bars are designed to be pretty straightforward, especially with ARC.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion