Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
2 hrs ago
Chernobyl 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Red Dwarf: The Promised Land (Blu-ray)
$22.99
20 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$43.49
1 day ago
Fruits Basket: Season Two, Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99
1 day ago
Black Lightning: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

InuYasha: Set 3 (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.02
19 hrs ago
Black Lightning: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Picard - Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.96

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$99.99

Space Ghost and Dino Boy: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 10-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #2501
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sta...ss-1234807650/

Renewed for 4th season, production to begin Nov. 2nd
I don't understand how this is possible, Midnights Edge has been telling us for years how Discovery will cancelled, how it will cause the demise of CBS, etc etc
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Today), PeterTHX (10-18-2020), Vangeli (Today)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #2502
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
I don't understand how this is possible, Midnights Edge has been telling us for years how Discovery will cancelled, how it will cause the demise of CBS, etc etc
Some angry click bait YouTube channel tried to suggest that CBS All Access changing its name to Paramount is because of Star Trek's failure. Needless to say, I didn't click on it. Guess which channel it was?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #2503
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Some angry click bait YouTube channel tried to suggest that CBS All Access changing its name to Paramount is because of Star Trek's failure. Needless to say, I didn't click on it. Guess which channel it was?
Hey, at least we get a good laugh with this click bait. I'm sure they are making a vid right saying the season 4 renewal proves Discovery is a failure.

I'm assuming the CBS All Access renaming is part of their plan to expand globally and Paramount being a more recognised brand name outside of the US. I hope they hurry up with this so we can get Lower Decks.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #2504
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
I'm assuming the CBS All Access renaming is part of their plan to expand globally and Paramount being a more recognised brand name outside of the US. I hope they hurry up with this so we can get Lower Decks.
It's actually already called Paramount in some countries.

I think part of the name change has to do with the perception of the term CBS. Why pay for CBS when I get CBS for free? It's like how prices are listed at 99 cents instead of $1.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #2505
Special Member

Aug 2014

Completed awesome premiere. Like damn! Show is firing on all cylinders!
Thanks given by:
Filmfan73 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #2506

Aug 2017
Belgium

Good to hear it's of to a good start. Season 2 was pretty sweet.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:22 AM   #2507
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

New episode was pretty good, but I hope they don't take forever
[Show spoiler]to get the crew back together

Burnham high off her butt was one of the best things that's happened on this show.

Last edited by kevin87; 10-18-2020 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 AM   #2508
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Enjoyed the season premiere very much. So far Iíve not been let down by any episode in this shows history this far. Looking to see where it goes.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #2509
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010
south

Discovery will never see season 14. You read it here first!

4.5/5

Great energy to the show.

Some one brought up the theory that...
[Show spoiler]Po and her recrystalizing technique may have somehow been involved with the destruction of Dilithium galaxy wide.

Be very fitting. Anyhow. I'm excited at the possibilities and potential the series holds. Bring on round 2.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #2510
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Pretty good start to show. Since they are no longer held back by anything, they can do anything they want, so it will be interesting to see where they take it. A few nitpick as always.

[Show spoiler]
Crewman Daniels says in ENT (Shockwave Part 2) that the Federation no longer exists in his time. So this would presumably be after the Burn but before the ban. Book confirms this timeline by mentioning when The Burn was and the Cold War, even though I suppose it could be different. Nobody thinks to get Dilithium from the past?
Also the whole aspect of time travel technology being destroyed would seem impossible to enforce since its not like people couldn't figure it out again. Especially since Daniels says it is "so commonplace that there are quantum discriminators in every high school desk", so its not like it was obscure technology like the spore drive.

Liked how that guy went to work for 40 years. Thats dedication. He says there are 2 Federation ships in his sensor range, so at least something is around. Notable that the flag only has 6 stars. The TNG era flag has considerably more stars, showing how people left. Wonder if Vulcan is still in. Andoria was a founding member and they obviously left. The preview seems to show they go to Earth so I guess we will see.

See my reply below for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post

4.5/5

[Show spoiler]Po and her recrystalizing technique may have somehow been involved with the destruction of Dilithium galaxy wide.

Be very fitting. Anyhow. I'm excited at the possibilities and potential the series holds. Bring on round 2.
[Show spoiler]That would be a pretty long delay for it to cause it 800 years later. We know from Geordi in Relics ita in widespread use by the 24th century, and Book implies they are still using it. Also liked the offhand mention of quantum slipstream from Voyager.

The "Coming up this season" would have us believe Michael solves the mystery of the burn when the entire Federation couldnt.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #2511

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
It's actually already called Paramount in some countries.

I think part of the name change has to do with the perception of the term CBS. Why pay for CBS when I get CBS for free? It's like how prices are listed at 99 cents instead of $1.
TBH, I feel like the Paramount+ branding isn't much help. Paramount in 2020 doesn't have the cache of "Disney", "HBO", or even ViacomCBS' own "Showtime" - if I had to guess how consumers see these brands. Showtime+, if anything, would've been better (though I think the "+" designation is being overused across brands as well).

Regardless I wish them the best of luck with the revised service, and if it packs in as much content as I hope it will, I would be willing to part with my Hulu or HBO Max to make room. For Star Trek alone, it's worth a lot to me but a few more things would win me over entirely.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #2512
Power Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Rouge View Post

4.5/5

Not likely. Dilithium is not any sort of an issue in the 24th century and beyond and the crystals can be repaired and refurbished easily at that point, but they are still essential commodities required for starship construction and expansion with starbases and colonies. For a massive widespread "BOOM!" of Dilithium-based reactors, you would need wide-scale sabotage or modifications made across the board to result in such a thing and that isn't likely to have happened, as there probably wasn't a dire need for more power/efficiency that far in the future. A more likely scenario is that some sort of widespread subspace disruption happened, triggering a detonation of the active reactors and causing massive devastation throughout the quadrant or perhaps even the galaxy. At any rate, we're headed into uncharted territory and that means we're in for a ride of unpredictable twists and turns.
Thanks given by:
PeterTHX (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 12:37 PM   #2513

Jun 2011
Sunny Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

The lone Federation guy sitting in an office starting at a "searching" screen for 40 years was a bit of a stretch, too.
That aspect reminded me a lot of the very first scene of the reboot of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA where the human representative sets up every year to meet the Cylons, who never show until that first episode.
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jones (Today), LeftHandedGuitarist (10-19-2020), MarcelS1 (10-19-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #2514

Mar 2009
Milwaukee, WI

I enjoyed the premiere probably more than any other episode of Star Trek Discovery so far. I really loved Book - any Han Solo alike with a giant cat is okay by me. I don't think they should have gone with the name Book though, it just kept making me thinking of Shepherd Book from Firefly.

Looking forward to the next episode, although I am not looking forward to more Mirror Georgiou. I love Michelle Yeoh but God is the character cringe.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #2515
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
Just finished the first episode myself and am brimming with hope, the best feeling to have with Star Trek. Feels like CBS has finally hit their groove with Neue Trek and Iím so incredibly eager for more.
I was feeling disappointed for most of the episode. Seemed too frantic and disjointed to me, though it could be argued that that was appropriate to the situation that Burnham was in.

The last scenes with Sahil (?) holding down the Star Fleet fort, on the other hand, were very affecting, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I'm also looking forward to more Tig Notaro!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:35 PM   #2516
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Good solid start to the season. Enjoyed it
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 PM   #2517
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

The second episode was actually pretty good. For me, at least, Discovery is starting to redeem itself.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #2518
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2012
Missouri

I am just hoping the other characters finally get some build up.
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #2519
Special Member

Aug 2014

Second episode was fantastic. Loved everything about it. Really dug the whole sci-fi western vibe it had going on. Cool stuff!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows