Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Friday the 13th Collection (Blu-ray)
$129.99
 
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
5 hrs ago
Flight of the Butterflies 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.50
 
Piano Pieces 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.90
1 day ago
How to Train Your Dragon 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.76
 
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.49
1 day ago
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
The Green Hornet 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Smurfs 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #921
Eidolon Eidolon is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2009
2
701
Default

Something else weird I noticed when I watched mine was the high amount of crosstalk (yes, I have an active set). Why it's weird is because the-version-that-shall-not-be-mentioned looks pretty much identical in terms of colour, brightness and contrast, the crosstalk from it was virtually non-existant. Yet the SF disc had it in extremes for me, which is really odd considering how similar the images actually look. I tried messing with the settings on the TV, but nothing made any difference. I know the general theory is that if you have an active set, you just have to lump it with crosstalk, but this kind of shows that it's also something in the encoding, considering how one has a bad problem and the other is fine.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #922
levcore levcore is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
111
1810
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy Crisis View Post
It wasn't though. Field sequential systems date back to the mid-80s. And then Sensio came later. Granted this stuff was a much smaller niche than 3D is today, but if you wanted to make it happen you could.
You know what i mean though, anaglyph was the widely seen version of 3D, used in books, comics and films on video or DVD etc. I would be astonished if the layman had even heard of those above mentioned systems for viewing 3D whereas almost everyone recognises "red and green" 3D glasses, whether you know much about 3D or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #923
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
73
483
37
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Something else weird I noticed when I watched mine was the high amount of crosstalk (yes, I have an active set). Why it's weird is because the-version-that-shall-not-be-mentioned looks pretty much identical in terms of colour, brightness and contrast, the crosstalk from it was virtually non-existant. Yet the SF disc had it in extremes for me, which is really odd considering how similar the images actually look. I tried messing with the settings on the TV, but nothing made any difference. I know the general theory is that if you have an active set, you just have to lump it with crosstalk, but this kind of shows that it's also something in the encoding, considering how one has a bad problem and the other is fine.
I have to disagree with your comparison, not even close. Too bad we can’t go into details on why. Anyways there must be something wrong with your active set because this has very minimal crosstalk on my active set. crosstalk is not coming from the source (disk) is coming from the tv/projector.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Freakyguy666 (Yesterday), ufso (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #924
Damon1281 Damon1281 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Damon1281's Avatar
 
Jun 2014
Under an arch
16
416
705
67
152
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJWS Channel 13:Amity View Post
he said AFTER the replacement discs are out.

I know what he said and even quoted it. It was amusing to me that people are already selling off the 3D disk and trying to get a premium price for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #925
Eidolon Eidolon is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2009
2
701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I have to disagree with your comparison, not even close. Too bad we can’t go into details on why. Anyways there must be something wrong with your active set because this has very minimal crosstalk on my active set. crosstalk is not coming from the source (disk) is coming from the tv/projector.
I wasn't referring to the shots that were back-converted from anaglyph, I'd discounted any differences from them under the circumstances. Regarding the other footage- Jason's back while he's watching at about 31:44 (I think) for example, which looked pretty much the same in both versions. Lots of crosstalk on the SF, not a bit on the other one.

I generally don;t have crosstalk problems on my set for the most part. Only certain levels on Wipeout on the PS3 have ever really given me any concern previously.

Last edited by Eidolon; Yesterday at 01:42 PM. Reason: .
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #926
GreatGreg GreatGreg is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
GreatGreg's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Canada
-
21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
I know what he said and even quoted it. It was amusing to me that people are already selling off the 3D disk and trying to get a premium price for it.
All of the other movies have been released on Blu before.

This is the first official release of Part 3 in 3D, so it only makes sense that most people (including yourself) are looking forward to the one disc.

We all had the choice of ponying up the money to have it right away, or cheap out and be patient. It will eventually drop.

I'm sure once the replacements come out, the defective copies will be available cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #927
Camps Camps is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Something else weird I noticed when I watched mine was the high amount of crosstalk (yes, I have an active set). Why it's weird is because the-version-that-shall-not-be-mentioned looks pretty much identical in terms of colour, brightness and contrast, the crosstalk from it was virtually non-existant. Yet the SF disc had it in extremes for me, which is really odd considering how similar the images actually look.
I guess I won't be needing to worry about an upgrade here....
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #928
Telegram Sam Telegram Sam is offline
Active Member
 
Telegram Sam's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Default

Happy to be completely shot down here, but…

Firstly, I’ve never seen the film in 3D.

Secondly, I’m one hundred per cent in favour of disc releases being the best possible representation of the original release.

However… Just from an artistic point of view, going back to this one’s original cinema release, I’d have thought it might have been more effective to have all of the opening production credits in nice strong positive parallax, and then doing a final massive dramatic pop-out of the title? From what I've read here it sounds like they originally began strong with the title and then kept doing more of the same?

Just to emphasise though, I’m not for one second saying that the alteration that happened here is a good thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:51 AM   #929
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
73
483
37
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camps View Post
I guess I won't be needing to worry about an upgrade here....
This is the best this movie will probably ever look on Blu-ray 3D, if you have a chance to get the corrected disks once shout start sending them out in late November you should. There’s a lot of misinformation here, the official release is definitely the best and the only release we should have.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
pixote (Today)
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #930
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
This is the best this movie will probably ever look on Blu-ray 3D, if you have a chance to get the corrected disks once shout start sending them out in late November you should. There’s a lot of misinformation here, the official release is definitely the best and the only release we should have.
Per Shout factory Info: Friday the 13th discs will begin shipping in early November.
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 3.32.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (Today), pixote (Today)
Old Today, 05:03 PM   #931
BLMN BLMN is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
73
483
37
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Per Shout factory Info: Friday the 13th discs will begin shipping in early November.
Attachment 249677
Yes, somebody posted a CSR reply that said “in late November” that’s why I mentioned that. It’s buried in the 1000+ pages on the main thread.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (Today)
Old Today, 05:05 PM   #932
Paul H Paul H is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
3
Default

Friday the 13th Collection Blu-ray

Friday the 13th, Part III 3-D
Reviewed by Martin Liebman, October 22, 2020



3D 4.5

Quote:
Friday the 13th Part III's Blu-ray disc includes both a 2-D picture and a 3-D presentation. Paramount released the film years ago in anaglyph 3-D but Shout!'s disc offers an updated presentation to play on modern equipment and offer a superior viewing experience. And superior it is, mostly. The first few minutes recapping the end of the previous film are not in 3-D, but as soon as the film's title literally pushes out of the screen and settles right in front of the viewer's face (with some crosstalk effect), the audience knows it's in for a treat...until the rest of the titles don't extend beyond the screen's confines. There is a tremendous sense of depth to them, but no extra-screen pop. This is a known issue with the original run of discs and Shout! Factory is offering replacements; please click here for more information.

Overall depth is excellent. The spacial separation seen on the bedsheets hanging form the clothesline is of a high quality, as is the sense of tangible depth -- albeit a bit disproportionate -- inside as Harold's wife watches television, both making for, if nothing else, a really solid example of 3-D pushing the limits of the third dimension. The two gimmick shots in the section -- Harold pushing a pole toward the camera and his wife fiddling with the rabbit ears atop the TV -- work very well, even if the latter is a little too small to rally make a big impact. This whole stretch of the film enjoys some seriously fun exercises in dimensionality and all of them looks superb. Later, shots from inside the van place the viewer within it's rectangular back end. The separation between the teens and the broken windshield in chapter five is very obvious. General spacing inside structures and out and about even at night always impresses with minimal ghosting. Add that so many shots are designed to take advantage of depth and pop-out opportunities and the movie is a whole lot of fun in 3-D, even if it's a is fairly mundane Slasher.

Speaking of gimmicks, most all such shots look great. A man's hand extends from the screen and dangles an eyeball in front of the audience's face at the 22:19 mark. The yo-yo scene at the start of chapter six is nearly as effective as the previous. A pole sticks out of a corpse hanging in a barn in chapter six to terrific extra-screen effect, but the infamous "eyeball popping" scene is so brief as to lose its would-be effectiveness. But in total the 3-D work here is exemplary. Format fans starving for new content will be thrilled with the results.
.................................................. ......
It's worth noting that the image is more stable and crisp and consistent in 3-D. Shots and scenes that struggled for clarity and definition in 2-D are rendered much more crisply and more accurately in 3-D.
RE: (with some crosstalk effect): Why does a professional reviewer attribute "crosstalk effect" as if it is a burned-in artifact from the encoded source?

There is no "crosstalk effect" on Friday the 13th Part III's Blu-ray 3D disc! "Crosstalk" is very preventable!
3D crosstalk is produced by inefficient 3D displays and the accessory components' required for viewing the 3D.

Last edited by Paul H; Today at 05:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (Today)
Old Today, 07:40 PM   #933
eselv73 eselv73 is offline
Senior Member
 
eselv73's Avatar
 
Dec 2016
Philadelphia
52
569
67
301
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
There is no "crosstalk effect" on Friday the 13th Part III's Blu-ray 3D disc! "Crosstalk" is very preventable!
3D crosstalk is produced by inefficient 3D displays and the accessory components' required for viewing the 3D.
After reading through some of the big thread, I can assure you that you aren't the only one with issues with the review(s). And you are right.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:47 PM   #934
Hypnosifl Hypnosifl is online now
Expert Member
 
Hypnosifl's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
105
2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegram Sam View Post
However… Just from an artistic point of view, going back to this one’s original cinema release, I’d have thought it might have been more effective to have all of the opening production credits in nice strong positive parallax, and then doing a final massive dramatic pop-out of the title? From what I've read here it sounds like they originally began strong with the title and then kept doing more of the same?
The title is seen first, then the production credits.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d movie, friday the 13th

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 PM.