Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman: 4-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
£54.99
1 day ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
£15.14
9 hrs ago
The Stanley Kubrick Limited Edition Film Collection (Blu-ray)
£63.99
1 day ago
Frozen: 2-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£12.00

Toy Story: 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
£20.00

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
£44.99

Clint Eastwood: The Signature Film Collection (Blu-ray)
£199.99

The Don Is Dead (Blu-ray)
£14.99
1 hr ago
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
£16.35
9 hrs ago
Conan the Barbarian (Blu-ray)
£5.30
13 hrs ago
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£10.89

Akira 4K (Blu-ray)
£44.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old Today, 07:41 PM   #37261

Apr 2015

I picked up:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Housu
Onibaba
Kuroneko

In the MOC Halloween sale.
Thanks given by:
Ben_C (Today)
Old Today, 08:07 PM   #37262

Nov 2013

Great choices, I have them all and adore them.

In fact, any opinion on whether I'd see significant improvement on the two I have on MOC's DVD format - Hausu and Onibaba? They're great DVD's and I promised myself I'd try not just upgrade DVDs to blu ray unless it adds a bit more than mere resolution? In the case of Hausu, I know the Criterion RA has a different scan though so I'd be more inclined to go for that as my HD edition if/when it becomes available in Region-B-Land.

As for Kuroneko, I was led to believe the MOC version was inferior to the Criterion in terms of contrast? Am I right in saying the MOC one suffers from the milky black issues that seem to be common enough with Japanese titles (that I've said before I theorise is down to what I understand to be that country's slightly different black calibration or IRE-setting). I know it's not a problematic release, just perhaps less favoured by comparison to Criterion?
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #37263
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibon View Post

In fact, any opinion on whether I'd see significant improvement on the two I have on MOC's DVD format - Hausu and Onibaba? They're great DVD's and I promised myself I'd try not just upgrade DVDs to blu ray unless it adds a bit more than mere resolution? In the case of Hausu, I know the Criterion RA has a different scan though so I'd be more inclined to go for that as my HD edition if/when it becomes available in Region-B-Land.

As for Kuroneko, I was led to believe the MOC version was inferior to the Criterion in terms of contrast? Am I right in saying the MOC one suffers from the milky black issues that seem to be common enough with Japanese titles (that I've said before I theorise is down to what I understand to be that country's slightly different black calibration or IRE-setting). I know it's not a problematic release, just perhaps less favoured by comparison to Criterion?
I thought Eureka’s Hausu WAS the Criterion scan?
Thanks given by:
Eibon (Today)
Old Today, 09:06 PM   #37264
Special Member

Sep 2012
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibon View Post

Onibaba looks a lot sharper on BD, more so than the upscaled DVD.

The real issue with Kuroneko for me - and I have both editions - is the supplements. Basically Eureka doesn't have any, whereas the Criterion has over 80' of relevant and high-quality information. Both have a 30-page booklet. Now, it's true the US edition has much sharper contrast whilst the UK looks softer and much more generally grey than B & W. But the Criterion has horribly blown-out whites, presumably as a result of turning the brightness levels up too high in order to maximise contrast, whilst the softer milkiness of the Eureka might obscure shadow detail sporadically (in what is a very nocturnal film) but is much less tiring to watch in toto. Alas, it has far more print damage in terms of speckles and scratches than the Criterion, which is relatively free of them.

So it's not exactly an obvious recommendation in either direction concerning the film's appearance, which is pure swings and roundabouts. It's Criterion's excellent extras that swing the matter for me.
Thanks given by:
Eibon (Today)
Old Today, 09:16 PM   #37265

Nov 2013

(Ref CelestialAgent) It's been a while since I looked into it. I think you're probably correct unless we are confusing with Kwaidan, of which this is true and I have both MOC dvd and LE blu ray editions. I guess I decided I ought to hold out for a Criterion issue of Hausu so I'd have different extras (all extras between the two releases). I might go for it at this price though, especially if I'm convinced Kuroneko is a good issue and pairing. It's a wonderful movie but there was definitely something that held me back at release time.
Old Today, 09:26 PM   #37266
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2015
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderheartbear View Post
I appreciate an announcement is coming soon, but would it be possible to do a reversable cover? It's not like those Amaray's are hard to get hold of for those of us willing to do so. I for one would like consistency.
What are you asking here? For reverse artwork that will fit into an amaray case?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland