Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$115.96

The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Chappaquiddick (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.00

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$19.99

A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Alpha (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Arrow The Absent Minded Professor - 55th Anniversary Edition - DMC Exclusive

In celebration of it's 55th Anniversary, Disney is releasing on BD for the first time, The Absent Minded Professor.

Release Date: 03/08/16

Exclusive rights for sale are to Disney Movie Club Members but surely other copies will go for an increased price on 3rd party sites.
[Meaning this will NOT be sold in stores at any time soon].

If a DMC member, the information for it is:
Price: (if follows suit of all others) $24.95
ID code: TBA

For info on DMC, check here:
Disney Movie Club Official thread
All information relevant to how the club works / newest updates can be found in the first 3 posts of the thread.
All in all, people average about 8-9 Disney (or Disney-owned) titles for anywhere from $78-90 depending on how it's planned out and what specials are happening.

Previous DMC Exclusives released are listed here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=240426

Thanks given by:
applemac (03-06-2016), drak b (02-23-2016), Dubstar (02-23-2016), Nailwraps (02-23-2016), Walts Ghost (03-17-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Power Member

May 2013

Great, another Disney classic released barebones through their bloody exclusive club.
Thanks given by:
Dex Robinson (02-23-2016), sleepydumbdude (03-21-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2012
Saint Louis, MO

Yes!! This is one of my absolute favorites from childhood! So happy to see this coming finally!
Thanks given by:
applemac (03-06-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Since these have zero extras, it'd be nice if they at least had slipcovers like the first few releases!
Thanks given by:
mshansen (02-24-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Mar 2009

Great news!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Special Member

Jan 2012
Saint Louis, MO

Any hope SON OF FLUBBER will be tagging along soon? With the Herbies and the Witch Mountains we got all the sequels in one fell swoop.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Incredibly frustrating considering this was originally billed as a Two Movie Collection alongside SON OF FLUBBER and advertised for general release all those years ago... Now it's a DMC exclusive as an individual film... I don't understand why they can't just release the double-bill as originally planned like they did recently with the Davy Crocket double... That had me excited for the possibility of more 2-movie collections with the DMC.

I'm guessing SON won't be too far behind - but I'd also love to see the Robin Williams FLUBBER find a release too.

Last edited by davlee1991; 02-24-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dex Robinson (02-24-2016), MattPerdue (02-24-2016), movieben1138 (02-24-2016), mshansen (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

great news!
hopefully The Parent Trap and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are getting closer.
(The parent trap was also released in 1961)
Thanks given by:
Kap6289 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Oct 2008

Agreed - who knows if any extras will be included unless they finally have listened to feedback.

But the bigger question is which version(s) will be included since this is the first exclusive to be released that has more than one version of the film: B&W or Color or both?

I hope that Son of Flubber comes out soon or at the same time.

I find it a bit surprising that they must be going for an extra cash grab with some of these releases. I can't think of any other reason to release films that were originally planned for 2-Film Collections, they are releasing individually. (With the exception of the Davy Crockett films - why give them as a 2-Film yet not anything else that would make sense as a 2-Film?) This title was originally slated for a wide release paired with Son of Flubber and yet now is by itself. The same thing happened with the Witch Mountain films. When I spoke with a Disney Home Ent rep at the 2013 D23 Expo, one of the very few bits of info he told me was that they had been working on a Witch Mtn 2-Film collection but hadn't worked out when it would be released, he thought maybe in 2014. (Even though it would have made a LOT of sense to do a Herbie 4 or 5-Film collection, he said it would prob never happen since it would likely have a negative ROI since he said a lot of the older films were still selling well on DVD and if released, it wouldn't be together). But then in late 2014 was when they began the exclusives.

This was also planned at the time for a wide release. Who knows why the change? We are also still missing Flubber from that original advert several years ago that also included Pollyanna (in what would have prob been a proper release w/ extras since it would have been wide), The Santa Clause trilogy and Babes in Toyland. Wouldn't it be interesting if we got the first triple release with Absent-Minded Prof, Son of Flubber & Flubber all at the same time?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I'd have to hear more info about the "color" version; b&w is the only version I know and if that's not included "color" me super pissed.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
Incredibly frustrating considering this was originally billed as a Two Movie Collection alongside SON OF FLUBBER and advertised for general release all those years ago... Now it's a DMC exclusive as an individual film... I don't understand why they can't just release the double-bill as originally planned like they did recently with the Davy Crocket double... That had me excited for the possibility of more 2-movie collections with the DMC.

I'm guessing SON won't be too far behind - but I'd also love to see the Robin Williams FLUBBER find a release too.
I completely agree! Also, seeing this advert again reminded me that it originally had a B&W cover but now it is going to be color - adding more question in my mind as to which version(s) of the film will be included.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #12

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I'd have to hear more info about the "color" version; b&w is the only version I know and if that's not included "color" me super pissed.
The color versions of both Absent & Son of Flubber I don't mind, I think they look pretty good. It was originally filmed in B&W even though color had been around for a while since they could more easily hide the wires on the car and Fred, especially during night scenes. It was interesting seeing Flubber purple after seeing it for so many years in B&W.

From Wikipedia: "The original 1961 film was one of the first Disney films to be colorized (for the 1986 video release), and, along with 1959's The Shaggy Dog and 1963's Son of Flubber, it is one of Disney's few black-and-white films to be produced after 1941."
Old 02-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaverBoy View Post
Great, another Disney classic released barebones through their bloody exclusive club.
I think there should be some kind of separate thread for these exclusives since they're not released via traditional retail avenues. Isn't there a dedicated Disney thread somewhere here or is that just for trading UV codes? Out of thousands of members here, what percentage are members of this club? 10%? This is not a general release topic.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

It better be in B & W or I won't be buying it!
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
I think there should be some kind of separate thread...
I completely disagree, each movie should have its own thread so that anyone interested in the title can easily find the information they need for when and where it is being released. If it was only ever discussed in a Disney thread people that don't go into the thread would never knew it existed and just be disappointed when it goes out of print and they end up missing it. If it wasn't for the thread about one of the Herbie movies I would have not realized that the Disney Movie Club existed and missed out on plenty of movies.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #16

Nov 2010

I enjoy the color version of this one, but it NEEDS to include the original B&W. Perhaps (and I hope) we are getting both, and this is the reason they dropped the Son of Flubber Double Feature.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

It's sad and more than a bit depressing that it's come to this.

Disney has completely lost faith in it's live action classics.

I'm a big fan of Annette so I'm really lucky to have purchased BABES IN TOYLAND when Disney was putting titles into the normal retail chain. I would have purchased THE ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR in a heartbeat but, honestly, I can't be bothered with this. Money is tight, I'm busy...I don't want to join any "club" (and being in Canada doesn't make it easy or cheap). If I could throw this into an amazon order I'd happily buy it on day one. But I'm not jumping through hoops.

It's unfortunate that some companies purposely make it hard to buy their products. I assume Disney is full of smart people so I guess I know what they are doing. Regretably, their marketing plan isn't working for me.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Well I know the way I feel is AT LEAST THEY ARE PUTTING THEM OUT, but it does stink for those that can't afford it. Also stinks that many of these titles had extras when they were released on dvd, but they get zero extras when you're paying more to get them.
Thanks given by:
mshansen (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
Well I know the way I feel is AT LEAST THEY ARE PUTTING THEM OUT, but it does stink for those that can't afford it. Also stinks that many of these titles had extras when they were released on dvd, but they get zero extras when you're paying more to get them.
The Disney club isn't any more expensive, it's just a pain in the ass to have to cancel your "selected title" every 4-6 weeks or whatever. I let one slip through and had to return it. Some people probably don't bother returning, and just accept the charge. I'm sure that is what they are going for in getting more poeple into the club. There's probably people that always accept the selection as well.

That being said, so long as you are diligent about always cancelling the monthly title - the DmC is actually a really good deal. I really should cancel it, just so I can rejoin again LOL. I've had it for like a year now for no reason at all. I don't know if any of these live action titles can be purchased as part of your initial enrollment, but certainly they should count as committment titles - right? Either way, it might be a good excuse to at least get a few of these.
Thanks given by:
Gone2HiDef (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

This thread motivated me to do what I should have done long ago, finally cancel my DMC membership just so I can do the enrollment deal again.

It really was painless (unlike most customer service experiences). Took about 2 minutes, zero hold time, and they even stated right on the phone they would be happy to have me rejoin at any time.

I probably won't do that part of it right away. But I'm sure i will re-enroll again - and hopefully when I do i will be able to get at least 3 or 4 of these DMC exclusives (either as enrollment titles, or using them to fulfill my commitment titles).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
dmc exclusive