Best Anime Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K … $24.99 (28 mins left)
Prime: Rick and Morty: Season 2 $12.19 (1 hour left)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Outlander: Season Three $23.99 (3 mins left)
Prime: The Lord of the Rings: The Mot… $47.39 (7 hours left)
Prime: Mazinger Z: Infinity $14.39 (2 hours left)
Prime: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: … $24.15 (19% claimed)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (5 hours left)
Prime: Hunter ◊ Hunter: Volume 5 ()
Prime: Bumblebee / Transformers: 6-Fi… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.71

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
19 hrs ago
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Digimon Adventure tri.: 6-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Phoenix: Perfect Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.03

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato Ė Part One (Blu-ray)
$50.99

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Set 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable Part I (Blu-ray)
$61.12
4 hrs ago
Space Dandy: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$27.49
10 hrs ago
Attack on Titan: Season 3 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.79

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

View Poll Results: Worth it?
Yes 0 0%
No 4 66.67%
Maybe, depends on.... 2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Jun 2017
Question Anyone know if the bluray release for Pokemon season 1 is worth it?

I already have the DVD, not sure whether I should fork out an extra $50 or so for bluray for only one season and that being the indigo league....
Old 09-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

It's an upscale of an SD transfer. Better compression than the DVDs, but there's no plans to release more seasons yet, so I'd say nope.

I picked up the entire Indigo League for $20 on DVD a few years back, and I'm fine with that.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #3

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

The DVD for Indigo League season 1 has 78 episodes and it looks like the blu-ray only has like 55 episodes. So.... its definitely a bogus set IMO.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #4

Jun 2017
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
It's an upscale of an SD transfer. Better compression than the DVDs, but there's no plans to release more seasons yet, so I'd say nope.

I picked up the entire Indigo League for $20 on DVD a few years back, and I'm fine with that.
Oh it's only an upscale...? That's no good, that's like buying a 4k uhd remaster of a movie only it's really an upscale of the 1080p bluray counterpart....I was maybe expecting it to be a complete remaster direct from the master source or master source intermediate so you don't have to touch the original master everytime, for maximum video and audio quality.

The DVD quality I've experienced so far with my releases have visual compression artifacts which I don't like(that's why I prefer bluray over DVD, because generally with a bluray release, there should be ZERO compression artifacts...unless you zoom in really close to the screen and actively look for compression artifacts...), but audio quality is a pass for me.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

The Blu-ray looks better, for sure, but it's more expensive, and there's no guarantee we'll get more seasons in the future. Really it's your call.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:11 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
The Blu-ray looks better, for sure, but it's more expensive, and there's no guarantee we'll get more seasons in the future. Really it's your call.
It probably will but Viz isn’t exactly known for their speed. Only the lack of it.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #7

Jun 2017

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
It probably will but Viz isnít exactly known for their speed. Only the lack of it.
Oh I see there are two releases, one by Viz Entertainment and one by Beyond Home Entertainment here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...ason-1/546381/ which sell for $77..............
Old 09-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilledOctopusOnLava View Post
Oh I see there are two releases, one by Viz Entertainment and one by Beyond Home Entertainment here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-...ason-1/546381/ which sell for $77..............
Thatís an Australian version and from the sounds of it, a really crappy release.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #9

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
That’s an Australian version and from the sounds of it, a really crappy release.
Oh didn't even get an email notification for that post...

OH how is it crappy? Assuming the quality is the same as the Viz release, and looking at the Viz release review, this image quality here:
does look quite good, even for an upscale as I can barely see any compression artifacts anywhere on that screenshot, I'll see if I can find a DVD quality one for comparison...and that's saved as a jpg no less too which is impressive! Unless my eyes deceive me somehow...

...unless there's an actual review of the Beyond release one somewhere here on this site that I can't find...?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

No, there’s not a review for the Australian release. And yeah- it looks crappy. If you’re fine with the quality, then that’s fine, but for many a hardcore videophile, it’s poor- but okay when you consider the poor source.

That’s just one of the good looking bits- there are actual compression artifacts all throughout it. Mainly aliasing, ghosting and DNR.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #11

Jun 2017

Quote:
No, thereís not a review for the Australian release. And yeah- it looks crappy. If youíre fine with the quality, then thatís fine, but for many a hardcore videophile, itís poor- but okay when you consider the poor source.
OH that's too bad.....could I request they do a review for the Beyond release or do they only review once for each release, regardless what region they're from and not bother with other region releases that may or may not be better than the one they have already reviewed?

Quote:
Thatís just one of the good looking bits- there are actual compression artifacts all throughout it. Mainly aliasing, ghosting and DNR.
OH?! That's too bad I thought the quality was consistent throughout the episodes....

I think I have some blurays that have noticeable compression artifacts....though can't remember which titles they were.... And for a bluray release to have noticeable compression artifact(or anything of noticeable low quality including audio bitrate and whatnot) is *in lemon grubs voice*
Old 10-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Even if they suggested it, they won't do it because it's the same discs as the VIZ one.

What I meant, as they both are equally as bad because they're the same discs, just re-encoded to Region B for AU.

Also, never trust the reviewers here when it comes to anime- they lie about picture quality. Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Towa no Quon, and many, many others were given high scores when they don't deserve them at all. They all look like garbage.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:21 AM   #13

Jun 2017

Quote:
Even if they suggested it, they won't do it because it's the same discs as the VIZ one.

What I meant, as they both are equally as bad because they're the same discs, just re-encoded to Region B for AU.
oh....but if they're the same, why doesn't Viz just release a universal region free one rather than restricted ones for this area and another one for that area? Seems counter-intuitive....

Also I was told that animu are now being released region free......from my local store....

Quote:
Also, never trust the reviewers here when it comes to anime- they lie about picture quality. Steins;Gate, Psycho Pass, Towa no Quon, and many, many others were given high scores when they don't deserve them at all. They all look like garbage.
...so who do we trust for reviews before we fork over the dough, animu or not...? Maybe reviews are subjected and thus no reviewer can be trusted...?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:37 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Anime titles are pretty much NEVER region free. Only Japanese releases are (to incentivize people to import them). Whoever told you that doesn’t know their stuff.

Who should you trust? I’d say the people posting on the Video Quality thread- like me- because we focus on encoding and how it holds up.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:12 AM   #15

Jun 2017

Quote:
Anime titles are pretty much NEVER region free. Only Japanese releases are (to incentivize people to import them). Whoever told you that doesnít know their stuff.
Ok so I dug up some DVDs and blurays from my collection to see if any of them are region free and found these(apparently max file size upload for this forum is 20KB, so I guess I have to use an external image hosting site like imgur:

Apparently High School of the Dead blu-ray release doesn't specify region lock so it's region free?

Claymore does not specify region lock either, so region free too?

R.W.B.Y is classed as anime by the creator and volumes 1 to 4 does not specify region lock, so region free? But volume 5 does, and it's region lock to B....

Transformers the Movie (this is classed as anime right or is it more cartoon classed?) doesn't specify region so region free?

Quote:
Who should you trust? Iíd say the people posting on the Video Quality thread- like me- because we focus on encoding and how it holds up.
Ooooh, is there a way to follow you?
Old 10-17-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

It depends on if the publisher has rights in other parts of the world.

Claymore is Region A and B.
High School of the Dead is probably Region B locked.
RWBY is Region A and B.
The Transformers movie is also A and B, but probably because it's not an anime, and doesn't follow as strict licensing agreements.

To follow that thread: click here, then press "thread tools", then subscribe.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:55 AM   #17

Jun 2017

Quote:
It depends on if the publisher has rights in other parts of the world.
Ah, so we need to look for animu where the publisher has rights internationally for the release to be region free?

Quote:
Claymore is Region A and B.
High School of the Dead is probably Region B locked.
RWBY is Region A and B.
The Transformers movie is also A and B, but probably because it's not an anime, and doesn't follow as strict licensing agreements.
mmmmkay....
Quote:
To follow that thread: click here, then press "thread tools", then subscribe.
wow 121 pages! You guys have it going really badly! hahahahaha Must be a lot of shows that aren't up to standard...or up to standard, because I don't the thread is specifically about badly encoded animu.....

Cool thanks subbed!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

It depends on how big of a screen you're watching it on. Watching the old DVDs on a 50-55 inch screen is an awful experience imo. The Blu-ray isn't even close to being perfect but I'm happy enough with it. Initially I was not pleased with the quality but that was because I was sampling it on a small screen.

I've said it a few times but I'd be shocked if we saw additional seasons released on Blu-ray. These episodes were upscaled for the 20th anniversary and released via on-demand services like the Disney XD app, nothing more and nothing less. No other episodes have been upscaled online or through these services as of now. Honestly even if other seasons did get released, I'd still recommend buying and keeping the DVD box sets released from 2014 onward. These recent box sets use the original episode order and that's crucial - for me, anyway. TPCI can shove off with the changes they're trying to make to the old anime seasons. First changing the season names to "Pokemon the Series: Red and Blue", "the Series: Ruby & Sapphire" etc. and now using this style of episode order? Yeah, no thanks. It may be the "technical" episode order/numbering but it isn't what I grew up with and it isn't how the DVD releases are being put out, so which is it?

Last edited by InuYashaCrusade; 10-17-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Tags
pokemon season 1 bluray