Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

The Case of Hana & Alice (Blu-ray)
$21.99
12 hrs ago
FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

Metropolis (Blu-ray)
$18.55
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA
Default What Anime are you currently watching?

I personally just started watching Kill la Kill.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Last season I watched SO much. This season has quite a few too, but I've successfully pared it down to a much more reasonable size, after giving up on a few after a couple episodes.

Too much to list; but here are my standouts so far:

Kill la Kill - Good, and super over the top, which always worries me as to which way Gainax will lean. BUT the 5th episode just 'felt' right. It felt special, and I thought 'ok, this is the one that got me. I'm in for the long haul. Not sure how to describe it other than the tone, the characters, the action, etc. All just felt like i was 'home again'.

Golden Time - Slice of life lovey dovey stuff (which I am a huge fan of), but a bit nicer because they are doing something different with it. The main girl is infatuated with another guy at the start, and the relationship with the main guy seems like it's going to be a rough road, with some genuine emotion mixed in. You know from the opening credits they'll end up together, like most shows, but it's still nice to see them do something so different than most, and not make it completely obvious as how they're going to end up there.

Kyoukai no Kanata, i dont want to give many details on. But it has some great action, potential for great emotion and feeling, and some of the coolest little badass monster design. That mummy-wrap little monkey/goblin type thing in the opening one or two episodes was so great. Great visuals all around.

NouKome - this one is for the silly/slapstick crowd. A guy who 'sees' (invisible to everyone else) weird multiple choice 'options' for situations in life. If he refuses, he drops to the floor with sharp incredible pain in his head. Cant really explain more than that, but it's a lot of silly fun so far.

A bunch more too, but I'll just go with those top few for now.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

I just started Kill la Kill tonight.

As for other this-season shows:

Galilei Donna - The show hardly anyone is watching -- and that's a shame. Three sisters of a dysfunctional family are stuck together, for better or for worse, on a cramped airship trying to unravel a mystery of their famous ancestor, the astronomer Galileo.

Golden Time - This is by he same folks as Toradora, which is one of my favorite romcoms. But here we have the emotions between the two main characters seem to establish themselves much sooner. Plus we get resolving amnesia and a collegiate setting instead on yet-another-high-school-life show.

Little Busters!: Refrain - Because I saw the first season and it didn't resolve things really. It's more of the same if you saw the first part.

I'm also currently behind in Monogatari Series: Second Season and I have Space Brothers on hold right now, but I do intend to resume it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Special Member

Feb 2011

Currently watching:

Arpeggio of Blue Steel Not too bad, could be better, but has nice naval combat action scenes and I really like the opening.
Eyeshield 21 Needed a silly show after Attack on Titan...this fit the bill. About to finish up watching season one.
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting Like it, but this is a continuation of an established franchise and I really want to watch the previous seasons now before going any further...
RWBY I wish the episodes were longer....love the comedy and action (I'm a fan of RvB and Halo franchise...)
Yowapeda Really starting to get into this show...

Will be seeing Madoka Magica: Rebellion movie at local theater (well about 60 miles away on north side of town) in about a month.
Waiting on Space Brothers to finish before i resume watching (stopped at about ep 52).

Last edited by Vracer111; 11-06-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
Sunnydale

Woo
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post

Woo
Might want to caption that as "Bubblegum Crisis" as hotlinking doesn't work from that site (plus it avoids people asking "what show is that?").

Protip: Always rehost your pictures. I recommend the Rehost Image extension for Firefox. Makes it a snap.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK
-
-

Watching:

Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco that are currently airing.

Kokoro Connect (9 episodes) - Really like the characters, but it's starting to lose its way a little with this hiding in my room storyline.

Canaan (3 episodes) - Great action and funny. Love the characters from the same guy who did the Fate/Zero designs.

Night Raid 1931 (8 episodes) - Started off really well but I've put it on hold at the moment as I'm not interested in this politics/war direction that it went with.

Katanagatari (9 episodes) - I had high hopes for this, the art is stunning and the plot should really work. A quest to find 12 sacred blades is pretty badass afterall. That being said, it's been a real slog to get through. Way, way too much dialogue.

No. 6 (5 episodes) - I'm enjoying this dystopian style show. It's an easy watch compared to the others I'm watching. The 2 main characters work well together, kind of hoping for a little romance starting between them haha.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Gravity Falls

None right now... Been watching anime non-stop for the last two years, i really had to take a break
But when i do get back on the wagon, Kill La Kill is at the top of my list! (Along with the countless unwatched Blu Ray and DVDs i own...)

I'm also looking forward to my man Watanabe's "Space Dandy!"
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
Watching:

Kokoro Connect (9 episodes) - Really like the characters, but it's starting to lose its way a little with this hiding in my room storyline.

No. 6 (5 episodes) - I'm enjoying this dystopian style show. It's an easy watch compared to the others I'm watching. The 2 main characters work well together, kind of hoping for a little romance starting between them haha.
I've really liked what I've seen of Kokoro Connect, I'm around the same place in the series. It starts out as a comedy and turns much more dramatic as the Heartseed pushes things.

I gave up on No. 6 after it started looking like a Yaoi series.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #10

May 2011

Currently watching no anime, because I'm still "reading" the Fate/stay night VN (one route down, two to go). After that's done, holding off on watching Fate/Zero until I possess both boxes.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
Currently watching no anime, because I'm still "reading" the Fate/stay night VN (one route down, two to go). After that's done, holding off on watching Fate/Zero until I possess both boxes.
I love Fate/Zero, I think it's much better as an anime than Fate/Stay Night.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #12

May 2011
Maryland

Currently watching To Aru Majutsu no Index II. I am waaaaaaaay behind in watching shows.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Kill la Kill and Naruto Shipuuden. I started the new Gatchaman but it seems eh I really cant put my finger on it..I just stopped ......
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #14

Aug 2010
Neb

As of right now...

Log Horizon
Heroman
Samurai Flamenco
Gundam Build Fighters
BlazBlue: Alter Memory
Old 11-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Cincinnati, OH

As for anime currently playing in Japan, I normally only watch episode 1 to decide if I like it or not so I can pick up the set later on.

Episode 1s that I really enjoyed recently and will be buying later are:

Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, Samurai Flamenco, Outbreak Company, Arpeggio of Blue Steel, and Wanna be the Strongest in the World.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Maken-Ki... boobs, panty shots, and more boobs... hard to go wrong
Old 11-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I've really liked what I've seen of Kokoro Connect, I'm around the same place in the series. It starts out as a comedy and turns much more dramatic as the Heartseed pushes things.
I never thought a "bodyswap" series would be so laid-back and character-oriented, but it's got a lot of surprises to it.

Also had to give up my free month of Crunchyroll while right in the middle of Outbreak Company, which isn't quite the otaku/geek-bashing comedy you'd think it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_nick View Post
NouKome - this one is for the silly/slapstick crowd. A guy who 'sees' (invisible to everyone else) weird multiple choice 'options' for situations in life. If he refuses, he drops to the floor with sharp incredible pain in his head.
And rather SILLY options, at that.
There hasn't been a good screwball comedy since the days of Azumanga Daioh, without descending into panty shots and self-aware niche-fetish jokes, but you have to like the all-out screwiness of this one.

(Now, if Viz can just hurry up and revive Ranma 1/2 out of the 90's.
Unless anyone's already watching the Neon Alley channel on Fridays, but I have a feeling no one is.)

Last edited by EricJ; 11-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
Maken-Ki... boobs, panty shots, and more boobs... hard to go wrong
just finished Maken-Ki...

all I can say is "meh" the series had potential but just wasted it by filling the series with filler eps and not explaining jack... High School DxD was better for a tna series
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
(Now, if Viz can just hurry up and revive Ranma 1/2 out of the 90's.
Unless anyone's already watching the Neon Alley channel on Fridays, but I have a feeling no one is.)
I am if it's any help to you. I also noticed on Ranma 1/2 on the Neon Alley uses the original Japanese text credits. I have a few of the DVD season boxsets and they were not like that.

Then there's Anime Network, Toonami, Digimon on Nicktoons and the Anime on The CW.

For DVD/Blu-ray releases, I just finished watching Tiger & Bunny The Movie: The Beginning. I very much enjoyed that even if it was just mostly the 2 main characters arguing against eachother most of the time.

Last edited by MOONPHASE; 11-09-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
just finished Maken-Ki...

all I can say is "meh" the series had potential but just wasted it by filling the series with filler eps and not explaining jack... High School DxD was better for a tna series
Please don't say that, I have the limited edition coming in as a blind purchase. I was hoping for something better than High School DxD.

Samurai Flamenco is an interesting watch so far. Heavily influenced by Tiger & Bunny, it's the Japanese version of real-life superheroes la Kick-Ass.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Servant X Service, my favorite new anime from 2013. Think a Japanese take on The Office. Easily the sweetest, funniest show I've seen in the past year.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion