Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Wolf Children (Blu-ray)
$14.63

The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.99

Hellsing Ultimate: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99

FLCL: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Steins;Gate 0 - Part Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Kimagure Orange Road: The Complete OVA Series & Movie (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Sorcerer Hunters: The Complete TV Series and OVA (Blu-ray)
$31.82

High School DxD: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$31.19

Elfen Lied: Complete Collection Plus OVA (Blu-ray)
$66.29

Steins;Gate 0 - Part One (Blu-ray)
$34.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part One (Blu-ray)
$35.99
3 hrs ago
Nichijou - My Ordinary Life: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada
Question What's Next: Psycho-Pass or Appleseed?

Hi there! I'm not new to Anime, but I don't watch that much - it goes with the mood! Looking at my collection, I could say that I'm a fan of older anime, and most of them are cyberpunk. I love Ghost in the Shell, I own everything from that universe, and now I want something similar, but different! At a glance, here are some cyberpunk anime that I own on Blu-ray/DVD:

After some researches, I'm tempted to blind buy another series. My choices stopped at Psycho-Pass (Seasons 1-2 + Movie) or Appleseed (a little confused by what to buy to get the whole story). Which one do you think should be my next buy?

Other titles I'm considering are:

- Ergo Proxy: The Complete Series
- Texhnolyze: Complete Series
- Serial Experiments Lain

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Old 12-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Well, I'd say GiTS SAC, but it appears you own the worst possible release, so I'm not sure you'd get the most out of it with dropped frames, no actual subtitles, and incorrect audio mixing.

Wait, I just realised you already saw them. I cannot read.

Hate Psycho Pass, but others love it, so hey, try it out. Appleseed is a series of films, so it's less of a commitment- just try the first one. The Sentai Selects BD of the first film is dirt cheap, so it's worth a shot.
Thanks given by:
Morsoth (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #3

Feb 2015
Utah

I recommend Psycho-Pass!!! Be aware that season 2 is lackluster compared to season 1 and the movie, but itís not horrible. If you like cyberpunk, you also may like mecha, in which case I highly recommend Code Geass!!! Both seasons are terrific!
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (01-02-2019), Morsoth (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Eh, Code Geass is okay, but a huge ripoff of Legend of the Galactic Heroes- sometimes shot for shot identical. It's a fun ride for sure, but the logic behind character actions is crazy and often illogical. I don't hate it, nor do I love it.

Lain is good, but you have to see it 3 times to fully understand everything, Ergo Proxy is great and Texhnolize is hard to watch due to the intense atmosphere and disturbing contents- still a great series.
Thanks given by:
Morsoth (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Well, I'd say GiTS SAC, but it appears you own the worst possible release, so I'm not sure you'd get the most out of it with dropped frames, no actual subtitles, and incorrect audio mixing.

Wait, I just realised you already saw them. I cannot read.

Hate Psycho Pass, but others love it, so hey, try it out. Appleseed is a series of films, so it's less of a commitment- just try the first one. The Sentai Selects BD of the first film is dirt cheap, so it's worth a shot.
Thanks! I was thinking the same for Appleseed, also, it's by the creator of GITS. I could understand what to buy and what to watch first based on Wikipedia.

By the way, I know about the GITS SAC issues, but I don't listen to the Dub, and even if the subtitles are "dubtitles", I tought that if so many people watches them with Dub, it wouldn't be too bad to read these dubtitles with the Japanese audio anyway. I watched them and they were ok for me -- for now. I could upgrade in the future, but they are enough for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpai View Post
I recommend Psycho-Pass!!! Be aware that season 2 is lackluster compared to season 1 and the movie, but it’s not horrible. If you like cyberpunk, you also may like mecha, in which case I highly recommend Code Geass!!! Both seasons are terrific!
Just added Code Geass to my maybe list! Never heard of it, looks very interesting!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

Second to Psycho Pass, it really is amazing!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion