Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 8 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
BlacKkKlansman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
The Ultimate James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
$112.49
5 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
The Street Fighter Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.04
23 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99
13 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada
Talking SACD: MFSL readies The Pixies "Doolittle" for SACD release

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/v...&idproduct=128
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/5039

Looks like MFSL will not stop with Surfer Rosa from The Pixies, but are readying "Doolittle" for release as well.

I love "Where is my Mind" but don't like enough of Surfer Rosa as a whole to pick it up on SACD. Doolittle was a far more put together album with incredible tracks like "Wave of Mutilation", "Here Comes Your Man" and one of my favourite Pixies tunes "Monkey Gone To Heaven"

No doubt coming from MFSL it will be an aural treat, no mention yet as to whether or not it is multi-channel or stereo, but Surfer Rosa was stereo only.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

New SACD's?

I wish they hadn't scrapped the release of Wish You Were Here on SACD. If they are still making new titles,... maybe there is hope afterall.

=Brian
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

I am not familiar with this group, but it sounds interesting. I just got my first SACD for Christmas, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. WOW. Simply WOW. It sounded amazing! And the surround sound was AWESOME! It was particularly great on the PS3 with the new visualizer they added, random live-rendered shots of the earth with the sun and stars.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2007
An Island in the Adriatic

YES!

Also, YESYESYESYES.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2007
The Tragic City

Doolittle: freakin' brilliant record. Hard to believe it'll be 19 years old in April. God I feel old.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #6

Sep 2007

As with Surfer Rosa, this will be stereo only. MFSL doesn't screw with the original source.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Banned

Oct 2007

The pixies ROCK! Frank Black is the MAN!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #8

Aug 2007
Parker, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
New SACD's?

I wish they hadn't scrapped the release of Wish You Were Here on SACD. If they are still making new titles,... maybe there is hope afterall.

=Brian
Certainly don't think we will ever see this, but it would be amazing!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbox View Post
As with Surfer Rosa, this will be stereo only. MFSL doesn't screw with the original source.
MFSL do multi-channel as well, but I would agree that this is likely to be stereo only.

It will hands down be the best version of this incredible album that much is for sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Expert Member

Apr 2007
UK

I actually think they gave up on SACD way too early. There was a format war with DVD-A, so many people held back when players were expensive, but by the time we had cheap dual format players, they had already given up on the formats. Now that SACD players are really reaching people's homes, via the PS3, and people will want HDMI amps to handle lossless audio for Blu-ray playback, I feel that there is an opportunity for a fresh push for SACD adoption that is being completely missed at the moment.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
New SACD's?

=Brian
http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/books/...rzon-2007.html

Quote:
So, if you want to see Storm's designs for the Wish You Were Here SACD packaging (which he notes is due February 2008, but this date is by no means cast in stone!)
This was from October 2007. It still looks bleak as there's no mention anywhere of it coming, but it was the artists that said the artwork was for an upcoming SACD. Hopefully it's just delayed?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

i LOVE where is my mind. i'll have to check the rest of the album out first tho. never have listened to it
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

doby (regarding WYWH),

I read somewhere on BrainDamage or pinkfloydz.com that it's been scrapped.

In fact,.. One of the discs in the Piper at the Gates of Dawn was originally going to be a 5.1 SACD but they changed the plans.

Nick Mason said eventually the whole PF catalog will be out on either SACD or DVD-A but that was a long time ago,... I don't still believe it.

Actually,.. I suppose if I live long enough,.. New Multichannel mixes of all the recordings will be available. They love to Re-Sell this stuff. And in the case of this stuff,.. it deserves to be resold.

-Brian
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Special Member

Jul 2007
An Island in the Adriatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop View Post
i LOVE where is my mind. i'll have to check the rest of the album out first tho. never have listened to it
It's uniformly brilliant. And don't tell me you've never heard Monkey Gone to Heaven!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
It is a great song, I never really liked the rest of Surfer Rosa much though.

Doolittle is a much more accessible album with much better songwriting.

Quote:
Actually,.. I suppose if I live long enough,.. New Multichannel mixes of all the recordings will be available. They love to Re-Sell this stuff. And in the case of this stuff,.. it deserves to be resold.

-Brian
I agree it does deserve to receive the same treatment as DSOTM, sad news to hear it seems to be a lot further off than originally planned.

I'm sure DSOTM 30th sold well because they were all SACD hybrids right? No CD-only release (with the SACD logo largely hidden from the colours of the artwork)

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see Blu-ray 5.1 192/24 versions, but I would love to see the PF catalogue on SACD.

Have you heard the DVD-Audio set of "The Doors" complete lp's that came out last year? I'm looking into that one.

Other than that I'm looking forward to Genesis: 1970-1974 SACD and the Pixies release. I wish I worked at SonyBMG so I could kickstart the SACD department - the timing is ripe.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
Power Member

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/v...&idproduct=128
http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/5039

Looks like MFSL will not stop with Surfer Rosa from The Pixies, but are readying "Doolittle" for release as well.
Nice find! I'll definitely be picking that up.

I love SACD (or SA-CD... or however they feel like abbreviating it this week). One of my initial reasons for solidly backing Blu-ray was that I figured it would mean rebirth of SACD also. You would think that given Sony's involvement in Blu-ray, they would have seen to it that standalone players supported SACD. Alas... that definitely wasn't the case. I even held out hope that DSD would end up as a supported (albeit optional) audio standard on BD for music releases. Oh, well, Blu-ray's still awesome... just wasn't the savior of high-res audio that I'd hoped for.

I do think it was great that SCE put SACD support in the PS3, though. Not that anybody actually knows it's there, though. And, of course, the 40GB dropped support anyway.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #17

Aug 2007
Parker, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsAboutPS3 View Post
I actually think they gave up on SACD way too early. There was a format war with DVD-A, so many people held back when players were expensive, but by the time we had cheap dual format players, they had already given up on the formats. Now that SACD players are really reaching people's homes, via the PS3, and people will want HDMI amps to handle lossless audio for Blu-ray playback, I feel that there is an opportunity for a fresh push for SACD adoption that is being completely missed at the moment.
I don't think the PS3 will do much for SACD since most the people in the age bracket care more about portability and mp3s. That and the need for a decent surround system when most people probably have them connected just to a TV.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #18

Nov 2007
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsAboutPS3 View Post
I totally agree. I think they completely mistimed the whole SACD thing. Only now are people starting to get surround sound into their homes. Now would be the perfect time to start promoting better sound quality - especially as more and more people are growing frustrated with the low-res downloads off of iTunes (hence iTunes Plus at the same cost etc.).
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
-
-
-

well since they killed off sacd playback in the 40gb. i imagine sony doesn't even care about sacd. how sad
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
well since they killed off sacd playback in the 40gb. i imagine sony doesn't even care about sacd. how sad
They still support SACD in standalone players, from the $199 players up to the DSD-outputting $3,000 ES (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039766) 9000 player.

I think the 40GB was just to remove the absolute most cost possible, otherwise they would have kept it out of the 80GB also. No doubt they were both planned around the same time.

I still have hope that once Blu-ray has won the format war, UMG and SonyBMG might look once again into SACD for popular music, because it handily won the hires war against DVD-Audio in terms of units sold and titles available. There are almost 5,000 SACD's available and less than 2,000 DVD-A titles.

(Granted most are Jazz and Classical)

Island Records are under UMG - I was very disappointed that The Joshua Tree didn't get the hirez treatment. Still, can't give up hope.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers