Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

12 Days of Deals, Day 10 is Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Mad Dog and Glory (Blu-ray)
$19.98
1 hr ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96
1 hr ago
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96

Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old Today, 03:32 PM   #182401
Power Member

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
The Robocop blu is not in its correct AR though is it? I thought the Criterion DVD is the only one.

Excited for the Arrow release however.
It's in 1:85.1 which this site has listed as the original aspect ratio too.
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #182402
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2015
Anytown, USA

Quote:
The Robocop blu is not in its correct AR though is it? I thought the Criterion DVD is the only one.

Excited for the Arrow release however.
The Criterion was "director preferred"; that doesn't necessarily equal "theatrical ratio".
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #182403
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Robocop wasn't composed for and never played in 1.66:1, especially in the US (and it was a US production). So the 1.66 aspect ratio wasn't correct, even though it was "director-approved" at the time when TVs were 1.33.
Thanks given by:
King Crimson (Today)
Old Today, 05:15 PM   #182404
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jack View Post
Watched The Magnificent Ambersons last night. I haven’t seen this in probably 20 years and pretty much remembered nothing about it so it was like seeing it for the first time. I love Welles’ work. I think he is one of the best ever. Having said that, Ambersons was boring as hell. It felt twice as long as it’s runtime. Great camerawork and lighting and a wonderful score, but I couldn’t give a crap about any of the characters or their story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regeyer View Post
I watched it for the first time a few weeks back and, yes, I felt the same way. I won't be watching it again. Glad I didn't buy it.

This is exactly why I don't blind buy Criterion releases anymore. I don't blind buy any releases for that matter. I have far too many titles in my collection that I'll probably never watch again. I can understand blind buying something if you don't have easy access. But my public library carries almost every Criterion release. And there is never a waiting list. So I can try these titles out without buying them.

With that said, I'm not being critical of anyone who likes this film. It's art. Tastes differ. Watch what you like and like what you watch.
I blind bought it and am looking forward to seeing it. Because of the film's history, it has been kind of an elusive film which is something that excites me.

What is the general consesus? Or is there one?: what is Welles' 3rd best film? Kane, Touch of Evil.. then what? Curious to read people's opinions.
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #182405
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
What is the general consesus? Or is there one?: what is Welles' 3rd best film? Kane, Touch of Evil.. then what? Curious to read people's opinions.
I don't about general consensus, but for me CK is a great-looking but not emotionally involving movie, but Touch of Evil gets under my skin.
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #182406
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Austin

Well, I'll be the one to say it: I love Magnificent Ambersons, perhaps more-so than Kane, although that entirely rests on my personal taste than it does any objective qualifier. I find its storytelling, as uneven as it may have been towards the end of its production and all of post, to be the kind of audacious step that only Welles could take after a debut like Kane, and I particularly find the camerawork to be the most emotionally plunging of Welles' career. The staging is immaculate throughout, with one bravura shot that happens within an instant that goes down as probably my favorite of his career. (It's singled out in the extras as Alain Resnais' favorite and you can really see why. Those extras in general are substantially great.)

The ending sticks out like a sore thumb, but even then I'm content with wanting to return to this again and again. It's just such an elaborate, oddly-conceived piece of cinema, the kind that very much resembles later-Welles, that I cannot help but love it. And what a revelation it is for me after dealing with such shoddy transfers over the years.
Thanks given by:
billydillydilly (Today)
Old Today, 07:37 PM   #182407
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Welles would be a filmmaker that could thrive in 2018. He'd have no trouble getting crowd funded. He'd like digital because his work could be preserved and backed up. No need to worry about others butchering it.
Old Today, 08:01 PM   #182408

Oct 2011
330-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
Touch of Evil > Every other Welles film.
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #182409
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
Brazil

I've seen only four Welles films so far - Kane, Ambersons, Lady from Shanghai, and Touch of Evil.

Kane is the only one that impressed me.
Old Today, 09:23 PM   #182410
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Sadly if Welles wasn't basically blacklisted from Hollywood we would likely have had a lot more movies of his to rate. Magnificent Ambersons is equally amazing for what is there and what it could have been. Robert Wise went on to create a fairly impressive filmography himself. I imagine he did the best he could with the studio imposed cuts and reshoots. I always held out hope a original work print would surface some day, but I get the impression the fabled print sent to Orson in Brazil was never actually sent for obvious reasons. Studio probably felt it was better to string him along while they cut and gutted the film.

One can only sigh and wonder what could have been. To Quote Orson in a interview: “It was a much better picture than Kane—if they’d just left it as it was.”
Old Today, 09:51 PM   #182411
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
I've seen only four Welles films so far - Kane, Ambersons, Lady from Shanghai, and Touch of Evil.

Kane is the only one that impressed me.
When I see Ambersons, it will be the same 4 for me. Touch of Evil is a pretty special film. Lady from Shanghai is interesting for a while, then it goes off the rails.
Old Today, 09:53 PM   #182412
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

Touch of Evil, Kane, and Shanghai are all perfect films to me. Couldn’t pick a favorite. Othello is pretty stunning as well. I also really like The Stranger.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors