Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
12 hrs ago
Space Jam 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Parks and Recreation: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.99
11 hrs ago
Tremors (Blu-ray)
$28.10
16 hrs ago
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$18.60
16 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Men of Honor (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
Saw 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
18 hrs ago
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$51.50
16 hrs ago
Silent Running (Blu-ray)
$20.10
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 AM   #361
Dubstar Dubstar is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Dubstar's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock
1
190
1934
304
4
33
14
Default

so does anyone know or has read if Fox has done a separate or different DCP encoding of 'The King and I' that doesn't look like the flawed bluray ? - I know that the movie is having a premier showing at 2016's Turner Classic Movie's Classic Film Festival
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
applemac (12-31-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 AM   #362
BluPat BluPat is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
BluPat's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Texas
65
1150
74
2
Default

I wish we could get all of the movies in the R&H Collection in single releases. The same goes for the Elia Kazan box set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:10 AM   #363
applemac applemac is offline
Special Member
 
applemac's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
4
73
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
so does anyone know or has read if Fox has done a separate or different DCP encoding of 'The King and I' that doesn't look like the flawed bluray ? - I know that the movie is having a premier showing at 2016's Turner Classic Movie's Classic Film Festival
I really hope so, and possibly a blu re-release. The current edition is terrible looking
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #364
Professor Echo Professor Echo is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Professor Echo's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
2
Default

If you can live with bi-lingual packaging, Amazon Canada has this as their deal of the day today for less than $35 usd shipped.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hammerstein-Collection-Exclusive-Oklahoma-Bilingual/dp/B00JH0EVT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1458466990&sr=1-1&keywords=rodgers+and+hammerstein+collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #365
MifuneFan MifuneFan is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
8
737
66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
If you can live with bi-lingual packaging, Amazon Canada has this as their deal of the day today for less than $35 usd shipped.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hammerstein-Collection-Exclusive-Oklahoma-Bilingual/dp/B00JH0EVT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1458466990&sr=1-1&keywords=rodgers+and+hammerstein+collection
Even cheaper now, at about $31 shipped
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #366
dig311dug dig311dug is offline
Power Member
 
dig311dug's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
103
4481
62
Default

worth it for just state fair and carousel?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #367
The Mad Kiwi The Mad Kiwi is offline
Power Member
 
The Mad Kiwi's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Florida
119
765
120
14
Default

So in 2016, Fox gave TCM a color-corrected DCP to show both at the film festival and also through Fathom Events. I don't know how long it's been up, but MoviesAnywhere features that version. Interestingly, Amazon and Vudu still have an HD version of the 2006 restoration. I screencapped both versions and am presenting them below along with this site's BD caps. I apologize for not getting the exact frames. It's tough to pause on streaming sites without popup playback icons turning up, but they are the same shots. In order as presented, it's 2006, 2014, and 2016:


[Show spoiler]


















I have to admit I favor the 2006 for the most part even if it leans heavily towards red and purple. The 2016 is muted in comparison but certainly more balanced then the 2014 BD. Some shots, like the last one, are a subtle change, but the whites and reds give themselves away since all the whites on Blu are cyan, and all the reds are brown. I'm happy to have both versions in HD. I have no idea if iTunes has the 2005 or 2016, though.

Last edited by The Mad Kiwi; 06-24-2020 at 11:21 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (02-20-2018), Dsneybuf (02-20-2018), jfearnside (03-06-2019), Oliver K (06-24-2020)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #368
PeterTHX PeterTHX is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
561
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
I'm happy to have both versions in HD. I have no idea if iTunes and Vudu have the 2005 or 2016.
Last I checked Vudu had the 2005 transfer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #369
Dsneybuf Dsneybuf is offline
Senior Member
 
Dsneybuf's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
19
366
Default

Movies Anywhere also still utilizes a pre-2010 master of The Sound of Music.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #370
captainsolo captainsolo is offline
Power Member
 
captainsolo's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
25
815
353
15
Default

I think that might finally give some answer to the concerns over Fox having gone teal on many of their catalog BD releases from the past few years. Everything from Desk Set to the Marilyn Monroe titles and many others to varying degrees.

But until there is official confirmation those of us who question something are the nutty ones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #371
Dsneybuf Dsneybuf is offline
Senior Member
 
Dsneybuf's Avatar
 
Mar 2013
19
366
Default

I forgot to ask, does the new master of The King and I still have a drop in picture quality at the end of "Something Wonderful"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #372
xbs2034 xbs2034 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Feb 2012
New Line Cinema

I saw Carousel on Broadway this week, and it reminds me of what a shame that the movie doesn't have a stand alone Blu yet. I have the other four major R&H musicals on Blu, and love their releases (though King & I isn't quite as good as the others).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #373
jfearnside jfearnside is offline
Active Member
 
jfearnside's Avatar
 
Jun 2016
U.S.
2
Default

Man, I've got to agree with the review posted by aquagroove on Jan 19, 2015 on Oklahoma!--the Todd-AO Blu-ray version just looks downright funky; it very much exhibits the soap opera effect. I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I read such great reviews about this version, and the clarity and color are indeed wonderful, but the look of it--yuck. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with my settings, but I never changed a thing. Most of the film simply exhibits the soap opera effect. User aquagroove thought it was due to the 30 fps. True? Any other guesses what might be up with this? Too much digital tinkering perhaps? Or are we the only ones who have noticed anything amiss? I'll definitely be watching the regular old version from here on out...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #374
Duke_45 Duke_45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Duke_45's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
Upstate, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearnside View Post
Man, I've got to agree with the review posted by aquagroove on Jan 19, 2015 on Oklahoma!--the Todd-AO Blu-ray version just looks downright funky; it very much exhibits the soap opera effect. I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I read such great reviews about this version, and the clarity and color are indeed wonderful, but the look of it--yuck. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with my settings, but I never changed a thing. Most of the film simply exhibits the soap opera effect. User aquagroove thought it was due to the 30 fps. True? Any other guesses what might be up with this? Too much digital tinkering perhaps? Or are we the only ones who have noticed anything amiss? I'll definitely be watching the regular old version from here on out...
Wow, I completely disagree with your assessment of the Todd-AO version. I just watched this last weekend and was blown away by the quality of the transfer. I actually started watching the CinemaScope version first, but had to take it out, as the transfer was really subpar. What a difference with the Todd-AO version.

To each his own of course, but I think FOX did an amazing job on releasing this film to HD
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jfearnside (02-12-2019), The Beast Within (02-15-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #375
The Mad Kiwi The Mad Kiwi is offline
Power Member
 
The Mad Kiwi's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
Florida
119
765
120
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearnside View Post
Man, I've got to agree with the review posted by aquagroove on Jan 19, 2015 on Oklahoma!--the Todd-AO Blu-ray version just looks downright funky; it very much exhibits the soap opera effect. I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I read such great reviews about this version, and the clarity and color are indeed wonderful, but the look of it--yuck. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with my settings, but I never changed a thing. Most of the film simply exhibits the soap opera effect. User aquagroove thought it was due to the 30 fps. True? Any other guesses what might be up with this? Too much digital tinkering perhaps? Or are we the only ones who have noticed anything amiss? I'll definitely be watching the regular old version from here on out...
It's definitely due to the frame rate. Even on DVD in a subpar transfer, the Todd-AO version had that soap opera effect going on. I normally hate that look, but the Oklahoma! restoration is so stunning that I don't mind it. I think that's why everyone (including me) loves it so much. It's so sharp, clean, and vivid that's it's like looking out a window, and I always cite it as one of my favorite BD restorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsneybuf View Post
I forgot to ask, does the new master of The King and I still have a drop in picture quality at the end of "Something Wonderful"?
Sorry, I missed this question when it was first asked.

Yes, that shot is still soft because it's a dupe shot. With dupe shots, the drop in quality is noticeable when they cross fade. Restoration artists have two choices when cleaning these up: either they restore everything up to the cross fade and suddenly have the shot snap in and out of quality, or they keep the entire shot soft for the sake of consistency until the next cut. With the King and I, they went with the latter. The problem is that The King and I has really long takes before and after each transitional fade, so going with this method makes the shots look crappy for a lengthy period of time. So while it's a technically a source issue, it's one that Fox chose not to fix. All the dupe shots are more noticeable in the corrected 2016 transfer whereas the 2014 one made virtually everything look subpar.

Last edited by The Mad Kiwi; 06-24-2020 at 11:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jfearnside (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #376
RCRochester RCRochester is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
RCRochester's Avatar
 
Sep 2017
-
-
-
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfearnside View Post
Man, I've got to agree with the review posted by aquagroove on Jan 19, 2015 on Oklahoma!--the Todd-AO Blu-ray version just looks downright funky; it very much exhibits the soap opera effect. I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I read such great reviews about this version, and the clarity and color are indeed wonderful, but the look of it--yuck. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with my settings, but I never changed a thing. Most of the film simply exhibits the soap opera effect. User aquagroove thought it was due to the 30 fps. True? Any other guesses what might be up with this? Too much digital tinkering perhaps? Or are we the only ones who have noticed anything amiss? I'll definitely be watching the regular old version from here on out...
Yes, the soap opera effect you're seeing is absolutely due to the framerate. I noticed it myself when watching the disc.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jfearnside (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #377
jfearnside jfearnside is offline
Active Member
 
jfearnside's Avatar
 
Jun 2016
U.S.
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
It's definitely due to the frame rate. Even on DVD in a subpar transfer, the Todd-AO version had that soap opera effect going on. I normally hate that look, but the Oklahoma! restoration is so stunning that I don't mind it. I think that's why everyone (including me) loves it so much. It's so sharp, clean, and vivid that's it's like looking out a window, and I always cite it as one of my favorite BD restorations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRochester View Post
Yes, the soap opera effect you're seeing is absolutely due to the framerate. I noticed it myself when watching the disc.
Thanks for confirming that, The Mad Kiwi and RCRochester. That brings up a couple of questions (actually three) I hope you or someone else might be able to answer or at least address:

Did the film look like this (with the video-like soap opera effect) when it was originally shown in theaters at 30 fps?

I have several silent films on Blu-ray transferred at 30 fps, yet I never noticed a soap opera effect on those--any idea why not?

And finally, is there any way to somehow mitigate this for Oklahoma! using my TV's or Blu-ray player's controls?

Last edited by jfearnside; 02-12-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: fixed quote
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #378
The Beast Within The Beast Within is offline
Active Member
 
The Beast Within's Avatar
 
Sep 2018
Cork, Ireland
12
382
Default

Just watched the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! last night. WOW. I'd seen the film several times since I was a kid, but watching it projected last night blew me away. Incredible restoration and transfer, it's my wife's favourite film and she was consistently surprised throughout the presentation. Personally, I loved the 30 FPS look to it, combined with the 70MM shooting and colour scheme it created something truly unique. I can't imagine ever wanting to see it any other way from now on.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
jfearnside (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #379
jfearnside jfearnside is offline
Active Member
 
jfearnside's Avatar
 
Jun 2016
U.S.
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast Within View Post
Just watched the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! last night. WOW. I'd seen the film several times since I was a kid, but watching it projected last night blew me away. Incredible restoration and transfer, it's my wife's favourite film and she was consistently surprised throughout the presentation. Personally, I loved the 30 FPS look to it, combined with the 70MM shooting and colour scheme it created something truly unique. I can't imagine ever wanting to see it any other way from now on.
I agree with you about it being an incredible transfer with a unique color scheme. As to how that plays out for me with the 30 fps and the soap opera effect it creates--well, I'm obviously in the minority here. I just can't warm to it. My wife and I recently watched South Pacific, also shot in Todd AO (though at 24 fps), and I was amazed at that Blu-ray presentation. It was what I was hoping Oklahoma! would be. Oh, well. We all have our own preferences. I just find it hard to believe it looked like this in theaters back in 1955. Nothing about it looks like a film from that period to me--it doesn't even look like film at all, more like videotape. Well, I've said enough! It is a pristine transfer, and I can see why many would love it. However, my wife and I will stick to the CinemaScope version, imperfect as it may be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 AM   #380
TravisTylerBlack TravisTylerBlack is online now
Special Member
 
Nov 2014
Los Angeles, CA
277
2472
Default

Recently streamed The King & I on Movies Anywhere and it appears to be a new restoration different from both the DVD and horrific blu-ray. Glad to have access to this superior version but such a crime that we are denied an equally superior presentation on disc.

Crossing my fingers FOX issues an improved R&H boxed set when they do the eventual 4K reissue of Sound Of Music.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:37 PM.