Best Anime Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
High School DxD: The Series (Blu-ray)
$28.79
 
Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 + Roberta's Blood Trail OVA (Blu-ray)
$35.99
 
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Vision of Escaflowne: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.19
 
My Hero Academia: Season One (Blu-ray)
$23.99
 
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
 
High School DxD Hero: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$38.99
 
Samurai 7: Anime Classics Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.39
 
Jormungand / Jormungand Perfect Order: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.69
 
Star Blazers 2199: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$29.59
 
Outlaw Star: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$25.59
 
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$18.39
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #1181
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
31
388
64
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orame View Post
BDInfo
Code:
PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:                   00002.MPLS
Length:                 2:04:46.479 (h:m:s.ms)
Size:                   96,136,998,912 bytes
Total Bitrate:          102.73 Mbps

VIDEO:

Codec                   Bitrate             Description    
-----                   -------             -----------    
MPEG-H HEVC Video       81225 kbps          2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description    
-----                           --------        -------         -----------    
Dolby TrueHD Audio              Japanese        10157 kbps      5.1 / 192 kHz /  9517 kbps / 16-bit (AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -31dB)
Dolby Digital Audio             Japanese        640 kbps        5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -31dB
LPCM Audio                      Japanese        1536 kbps       2.0 / 48 kHz /  1536 kbps / 16-bit
Dolby TrueHD Audio              English         2309 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz /  1669 kbps / 16-bit (AC3 Embedded: 5.1 / 48 kHz /   640 kbps / DN -31dB)

SUBTITLES:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description    
-----                           --------        -------         -----------    
Presentation Graphics           English         27.640 kbps                    
Presentation Graphics           Japanese        24.497 kbps                    

FILES:

Name            Time In         Length          Size            Total Bitrate  
----            -------         ------          ----            -------------  
00003.M2TS      0:00:00.000     2:04:33.466     96,062,312,448  102,830        
00004.M2TS      2:04:33.466     0:00:13.013     74,686,464      45,915
16-bit Hypersonic Mix. Eh. Not a huge deal. Not like people can really hear a difference between 16 and 24-bit audio anyways. It's got the Dolby Surround mix in LPCM 2.0, so I'm happy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #1182
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
31
388
64
6
Default

The main presentation is 89 GB, when converting the bytes to GB, so it's close to the BD-100 limit. UHD allows up to 100,103,356,416 bytes (~93.22 GB), and Akira is 96,136,998,912 bytes, so it is dangerously close to hitting the limit on a disc. If they wanted a 24-bit Hypersonic, the video bitrate would have to be lowered into the 70s.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
The Collector FX (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #1183
The Collector FX The Collector FX is online now
Power Member
 
The Collector FX's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
Utah
5
455
356
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
I'll probably just stick to my Funimation 25th annoversary blu. Has Japanese audio, original dub, and satisfactory video quality.
Unless you've an 85+ inch screen, you won't notice a difference between either format anyway. The only reason to get a UHD version of this is to prevent degradation of picture quality to accommodate a bigger screen size.

I have both the Funi 25th BD and a Korean limited edition Lenticular BD. I don't have a huge TV/Projector so I won't be getting it either.

Looking at ProfessorWho's data tho, looks like they did a good job with the 4K quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:57 AM   #1184
Stanley Strangelove Stanley Strangelove is offline
Junior Member
 
Apr 2012
Default

Is the 4K disc worth picking up or did they scrub it clean with DNR? Still no official review from Blu-ray.com months later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:44 AM   #1185
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
31
388
64
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Strangelove View Post
Is the 4K disc worth picking up or did they scrub it clean with DNR? Still no official review from Blu-ray.com months later.
It's another DNR disaster. (Obviously the Dynit release is the best, but I chose the FUNi disc for the comparison as most people have it, and to show that even FUNi's BD is still better than the UHD)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (05-10-2021), sagadego (Yesterday)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #1186
The Collector FX The Collector FX is online now
Power Member
 
The Collector FX's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
Utah
5
455
356
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
It's another DNR disaster. (Obviously the Dynit release is the best, but I chose the FUNi disc for the comparison as most people have it, and to show that even FUNi's BD is still better than the UHD)
Is the Bandai Visual (2009) BD release the best in terms Blu Ray?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:15 AM   #1187
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
31
388
64
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
Is the Bandai Visual (2009) BD release the best in terms Blu Ray?
Yes and no. The most recent Italian Dynit Blu is the best in terms of picture quality, but obviously no English support of any kind... and it does not have the Japanese Laserdisc Dolby Surround mix which is the home video mix created in 1988 for LD (and VHS) and can be seen as the "original" audio mix. It's baffling why Dynit removed it, as, ignoring English support, it would make it objectively the best version. It instead uses the 2001 5.1 remix, and not the original LD Dolby Surround, or even the 2009 Hypersonic mix.

But, the 2009 Bandai BD is a close 2nd place. Lower bitrate, but encoding is nearly as good as the Dynit, but the 2009 Bandai is windowboxed and does not have proper English subtitles! They're dubtitles. The FUNimation Blu-ray, Japanese UHD and FUNimation UHD fixed that problem. But, the 2009 Bandai disc has the original Japanese LD Dolby Surround mix, the 2001 5.1 mix and the 2009 Hypersonic mixes all on the same disc, so it's the best in terms of audio quality. It has the 2001 English dub, but not the "Streamline/Ninja Turtles" one.

So, there's no 100% perfect version of Akira on home video. You'd need at least 3 Blu-rays to then combine after being ripped to make the perfect version.

As for what is the best version to buy as an English speaker who doesn't want to fix it themselves? It boils down to 2 choices:

The 2009 Bandai is better encoded than the FUNimation release, but is windowboxed and has dubtitles, and lacks the original English dub. It does have the best audio quality, with the original Dolby Surround track in Japanese in perfect clarity, in addition to the respectable and very good, but for different reasons 2009 Hypersonic mix.

The FUNimation Blu-ray isn't windowboxed and has correct subtitles that are very well translated in addition to the original English dub, but lacks the original Japanese Dolby Surround track, and has some video compression issues that may or may not be noticeable.

So there it is, pretty much. Trade-offs unless you wanna fix it yourself.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (05-10-2021), gloomranger (05-10-2021), Gorgon (05-10-2021), sagadego (05-10-2021), The Collector FX (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #1188
The Collector FX The Collector FX is online now
Power Member
 
The Collector FX's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
Utah
5
455
356
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
But, the 2009 Bandai BD is a close 2nd place. Lower bitrate, but encoding is nearly as good as the Dynit, but the 2009 Bandai is windowboxed and does not have proper English subtitles! They're dubtitles. The FUNimation Blu-ray, Japanese UHD and FUNimation UHD fixed that problem. But, the 2009 Bandai disc has the original Japanese LD Dolby Surround mix, the 2001 5.1 mix and the 2009 Hypersonic mixes all on the same disc, so it's the best in terms of audio quality. It has the 2001 English dub, but not the "Streamline/Ninja Turtles" one.


The 2009 Bandai is better encoded than the FUNimation release, but is windowboxed and has dubtitles, and lacks the original English dub. It does have the best audio quality, with the original Dolby Surround track in Japanese in perfect clarity, in addition to the respectable and very good, but for different reasons 2009 Hypersonic mix.
Well, I have the Funimation Blu ray and the South Korean BD release. Was it ever disclosed what master/transfer/disc that South Korea used for their 2020 release?

As far as dub preference, I've only ever watched it with the 2001 re-dub. I've seen clips of the Streamline dub and it sounded clunky/low-budget. I'm okay with not having the Streamline dub.

I might have to snag the 2009 Bandai Visual copy depending on what South Korea used for their release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:52 AM   #1189
professorwho professorwho is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
professorwho's Avatar
 
Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA
31
388
64
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Collector FX View Post
Well, I have the Funimation Blu ray and the South Korean BD release. Was it ever disclosed what master/transfer/disc that South Korea used for their 2020 release?

As far as dub preference, I've only ever watched it with the 2001 re-dub. I've seen clips of the Streamline dub and it sounded clunky/low-budget. I'm okay with not having the Streamline dub.

I might have to snag the 2009 Bandai Visual copy depending on what South Korea used for their release.
I don't have the 2020 South Korean BD, so unless somebody can take screenshots and post technical stats, I have no clue what it uses for 100% certainty. I've seen conflicting listings of what audio tracks it has, so I can't even reference database listings and the distributor's own website until I know for certain what's on the disc.

Last edited by professorwho; 05-10-2021 at 02:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 AM   #1190
The Collector FX The Collector FX is online now
Power Member
 
The Collector FX's Avatar
 
Aug 2019
Utah
5
455
356
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I don't have the 2020 South Korean BD, so unless somebody can take screenshots and post technical stats, I have no clue what it uses for 100% certainty. I've seen conflicting listings of what audio tracks it has, so I can't even reference database listings and the distributor's own website until I know for certain what's on the disc.
I can't find anything out about it either.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
professorwho (05-10-2021)
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #1191
neoz neoz is offline
Moderator
 
neoz's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
10
1
1630
8
83
Default

Anyone get an email today about the replacement disc? I got one and it was just a survey asking if I was satisfied. I replied asking them about the status as I have yet to get the disc.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #1192
Bobo1313 Bobo1313 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bobo1313's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Somewhere
21
46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Anyone get an email today about the replacement disc? I got one and it was just a survey asking if I was satisfied. I replied asking them about the status as I have yet to get the disc.
I got one yesterday for the survey but I did get my replacement a while ago. I never got a notice that my replacement was shipped, it just showed up one day.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:52 AM   #1193
SlaughterX SlaughterX is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
SlaughterX's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Thornton, CO
26
120
928
6
1
Default

I got my disc last week, finally.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Akira blasts onto on Blu-ray, anime classic delivers the highest quality movie audio Anime Bullseye 1 02-26-2009 11:13 AM
Akira blu ray Blu-ray Movies - North America boxup123 12 02-08-2009 05:10 PM
Akira Blue Ray? Blu-ray Movies - North America neek34 0 04-15-2008 09:37 PM
Akira on Blu-ray? Anime Quad 46 12-01-2007 02:03 PM
AKIRA for Blu-ray? Anime Todd 17 09-03-2007 09:30 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:09 PM.