Best Xbox One Game Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Borderlands 3 (Xbox One)
$53.59

NBA 2K20 (Xbox One)
$39.99

Borderlands 3 (Xbox One)
$44.99

Gears 5 (Xbox One)
$38.99

Jumanji: The Video Game (Xbox One)
$33.99

Sudden Strike 4: Complete Collection (Xbox One)
$29.99

Fortnite (Xbox One)
$24.84

eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 (Xbox One)
$48.75

A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox One)
$29.99

The Outer Worlds (Xbox One)
$56.75

Jump Force (Xbox One)
$31.88

The Division 2 (Xbox One)
$39.18

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 11-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Rumour: Microsoft to release a disc-less Xbox One in 2019

In the wake of the news that Sony will not be attending E3 next year, Microsoft’s hardware plans for 2019 will likely be a huge win for the brand and for gamers. The company is planning to release an updated console next year, but this device will not be in the Scarlett family, according to people familiar with the company’s plans.

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

If you like this kind of information, this content was uncovered while writing my upcoming book about Surface called Beneath a Surface (pre-order), which contains this information, along with the story of how Microsoft built its billion-dollar hardware brand.

In addition, the company also has a revised Xbox One S SKU that is targeted for later in the year that focuses solely on cost reduction but does feature a disc-drive for those who still prefer the traditional way to buy your games. Microsoft is moving forward very carefully with this product as it knows that a sizeable portion of its users do prefer to buy physical games and not download them.

As for Scarlett, Microsoft is still trying to decide if that console will include a disc drive but should be making the final decision here shortly.

Under Phil Spencer, Microsoft is investing heavily in its Xbox brand and announced the acquisition of a couple of new gaming studios over the weekend. When you pair this new hardware with the upcoming streaming service the company is developing, the road ahead for Xbox fans is incredibly bright.

With this new Xbox One S ‘slim’, and I don’t know what it’s retail name will be yet, the company is working on finding new ways to lower the cost of entry into the Xbox family without sacrificing the core gaming experience. Don’t be surprised if the company trims up other aspects of the console to help save a few pennies, although I don’t expect storage to be on the chopping block at this time.

As for when the console will become available? I had initially heard in the spring of 2019 was the target as this device is well on its path to production. As for when Microsoft will greenlight the product for retail distribution, that’s still to be determined and even though they could still cancel the device at this time, I do expect it to become available sometime next year.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184...elease-in-2019
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

What’s a disc?
Old 11-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015
Ohio

I'm ok with this just as long as they continue to release future consoles with disc drives. I don't trust a server I can't see to keep my data forever. Plus, I trade in most games I buy when I'm finished with them. Can't do that with digital.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
What’s a disc?
I believe they're those round plastic things that line the many shelves in your lovely home.

Joking aside, y'got a sweet bunch of films there!
Thanks given by:
Derb (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Not that I plan to get this (I prefer physical were possible), it will be interesting to see what "hiccups," if any, happen with the disc-to-digital program.

If, for example, a 3rd party company previously released a game based on a licensed existing property (i.e. the Marvel characters in the Marvel vs. Capcom games, which Capcom does now own, as just one example - in this case one that happens to still be available to buy), but that license has since expired and the game has gone out of print and been delisted for purchase from the digital store, I would imagine people will be unable to get a digital version of that now.

I also assume that "participating retailers" will have to expand beyond just Microsoft's own stores to include other major gaming retailers. And I could see issues happening like someone trading in a Game-of-the-Year edition (or similar) of a game that has a bunch of previously released dlc already on the disc, but then receiving a code for only the base game without that extra content, just as a result of store employees not being knowledgeable of the differences (I can especially see this being an issue if Walmart becomes a participating retailer with this program).
Thanks given by:
Captain Flint (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I hope that it fails miserably to show the corporations that physical media is still too important to the consumer base.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (11-19-2018), Captain Flint (12-08-2018), craigpb (11-19-2018), Firefoxie (12-03-2018), JEDGAR1000 (11-17-2018), JimDiGriz (11-17-2018), MechaGodzilla (11-19-2018), sleeperbloke (11-17-2018), Steedeel (11-18-2018), x7q3 (03-06-2019)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #7

Jul 2018
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
I hope that it fails miserably to show the corporations that physical media is still too important to the consumer base.
You make a good point, because I don't know if this is good for those wanting a new Blu-ray player which doubles as a gaming console, you know, since it's lacking a disc slot/tray. What do you guys think?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Nowhere in this rumor is it being suggested that disc drive versions will cease production.

I think it's a great idea. If someone doesn't care for Blu-ray and just wants to play games without the clutter or added cost, this is a perfect solution. There's no added benefit of game discs when it comes to quality of visuals or sound not to mention plug and play died this gen where every game needs to be fully installed anyway.

I will of course prefer the disc drive version for a variety of reasons including the BD playback portion (naturally, being a member here) but let's face it, the percentage of consumers wanting physical releases is declining every year as a whole.
Thanks given by:
Colorado Rockie (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I believe they're those round plastic things that line the many shelves in your lovely home.

Cheers. They are now in many many boxes sealed up nice for when ever I get a new HT.

On topic, it feels like MS is doing anything hardware related to just market their brand even if it means throwing cash out the window. At least they get attention doing these things to keep them in the spotlight. That may have sounded more harsh then intended.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (11-18-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

I don’t see it as throwing cash out the window at all. While they wait for their new acquisitions to get games out they’re doing everything they can to get the Xbox brand into the hands of gamers. Play on PC? Play Anywhere. Play on phone? XCloud. Play on console? You got three tiers of entry. Game pass should benefit XCloud and the driveless system greatly. It actually pretty smart.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2017

I'd be very interested to know what Microsoft will do with the discs that are traded in for the disc-to-digital program. If they end up destroying them then digital will not only be decreasing the number of discs made in the first place but actually reducing the number of discs in circulation later, that is absolutely terrible.

I can still easily buy thousands of physical games for Xbox, PS1, PS2, Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Genesis, Atari 2600, and all of the other discontinued consoles because the used market has kept all of them in circulation. But if Microsoft strongly pushes "converting" your discs to digital form and ends up destroying the discs then many Xbox 360 and Xbox One games could be extremely difficult to find in the future after Microsoft no longer supports the digital versions.

All digital content for the original Xbox and hundreds of digital Xbox 360 games have been removed from sale so it's inevitable that many (if not all) digital Xbox One games will suffer the same fate. And now they're trying to get rid of the physical copies they've already released too!
Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

for XB 360 owners, what size HD will it take to hold all your current games if you buy that new console and want to put your game library onto it? I mean, what size drive does it come with, those games aren't small to load the entire game onto the drive.

I'd be terribly afraid of giving up the physical games on disc.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Probably not that much space to fit your X360 library to be honest. There are 2100 odd games on the 360, chances are you don't own all of them, and not all of them fill up a single DVD.

If all those games were the full disc then it would come to around 15tb to store them all digitally.

Averaging 100 games owned then chances are you will fit all of them on a 1tb HDD and still have space left over.

Xbox One games on the other hand a completely different beast. Especially 4K texture packs for the X. You might get 10 games on a 1tb HDD.

There's over 1000 Xbox One games, you'd be looking at about 50tb for the complete library. These are gonna be slightly over since not all games come out at 50gb like indies for example. But there are some games that are almost 3-4x bigger than 50gb.

Compare it to past consoles for example you could fit every N64 game on 6gb thumb drive, whilst PS1 library would take over 3tb to store everything. It's crazy how big file sizes have become in a relatively short period of time.
  • NES Library 237 Mb
  • SNES Library 1.7 Gb
  • N64 Library 5.5 Gb
  • GB/GBC Library 568 Mb
  • GBA Library 8.4 Gb
  • NDS Library 83.2 Gb
  • Gamecube Library 867 Gb
  • Wii Library 6.56 Tb

PS1:
--------------------------------
Total set size: 3.722 TB (3811.252 GB)
Total dumps: 8502
Average size per dump: 0.448 GB

PS2:
Total set size: 17.741 TB (18167.278 GB)
Total dumps: 7738
Average size per dump: 2.348 GB

PS3:
Total set size: 16.818 TB (17221.684 GB)
Total dumps: 1877
Average size per dump: 9.175 GB
Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Probably not that much space to fit your X360 library to be honest. There are 2100 odd games on the 360, chances are you don't own all of them, and not all of them fill up a single DVD.

If all those games were the full disc then it would come to around 15tb to store them all digitally.

Averaging 100 games owned then chances are you will fit all of them on a 1tb HDD and still have space left over.

Xbox One games on the other hand a completely different beast. Especially 4K texture packs for the X. You might get 10 games on a 1tb HDD.

There's over 1000 Xbox One games, you'd be looking at about 50tb for the complete library. These are gonna be slightly over since not all games come out at 50gb like indies for example. But there are some games that are almost 3-4x bigger than 50gb.

Compare it to past consoles for example you could fit every N64 game on 6gb thumb drive, whilst PS1 library would take over 3tb to store everything. It's crazy how big file sizes have become in a relatively short period of time.
  • NES Library 237 Mb
  • SNES Library 1.7 Gb
  • N64 Library 5.5 Gb
  • GB/GBC Library 568 Mb
  • GBA Library 8.4 Gb
  • NDS Library 83.2 Gb
  • Gamecube Library 867 Gb
  • Wii Library 6.56 Tb

PS1:
Total set size: 3.722 TB (3811.252 GB)
Total dumps: 8502
Average size per dump: 0.448 GB

PS2:
Total set size: 17.741 TB (18167.278 GB)
Total dumps: 7738
Average size per dump: 2.348 GB

PS3:
Total set size: 16.818 TB (17221.684 GB)
Total dumps: 1877
Average size per dump: 9.175 GB
sorry, I thought i mentioned they were physical games. I own 27 physical x360 games. and I think like 5or 6 digital downloaded games from live.

I was just curious about the HD space for people like myself if we were thinking of buying into that, the storage concerns.

thanks for the quick and thorough response.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

If it doesn’t fail as a system, console makers will think that it is feasible to eliminate disc drives from all future hardware. At least keeping the drives in the hardware allows ALL consumers to operate their system as the please. OPTIONS are what matters most to consumers. As many have already said, when any form of entertainment go discless, we are done with that form of entertainment.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

My issue about going Disc less is then not allowing us to download the movies we buy. No downloading no way will I support digital fully.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
If it doesn’t fail as a system, console makers will think that it is feasible to eliminate disc drives from all future hardware. At least keeping the drives in the hardware allows ALL consumers to operate their system as the please. OPTIONS are what matters most to consumers. As many have already said, when any form of entertainment go discless, we are done with that form of entertainment.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:42 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Let Me In!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post

Damn, here I thought they were coasters.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

It's also well worth bearing in mind that the law is in a very early stage over digital ownership; the laws were written for physical things. You could leave your physical film collection to your kids, etc, but don't expect to be able to do the same if your collection is digital.

Apparently Bruce Willis is considering suing Apple because he wants to leave his music collection (purchased through iTunes) to his kids but Apple say no - the music is tied to his account and cannot be transferred.

In other words, a digital purchase is not currently seen as true ownership, more an ongoing licence to play that media for as long as the company you bought it from says you can.

Digital might be convenient, but there is more than one price to pay... (though I did just buy BF V digitally, but I reckon I'll be ok for the 2 years I'll be playing it!!)

Companies clearly have an interest in games, films, music going purely digital, but the winner every time is the company, not the consumer. Keep buying physical and those companies will support it, they are not stupid enough to cut off a revenue stream, which is why we still have DVDs!
Thanks given by:
CraigB1981 (04-13-2019), Dynamo of Eternia (11-20-2018), Petra_Kalbrain (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
It is inevitable.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One