Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99
2 hrs ago
News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50
1 day ago
Rick and Morty: The Complete Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$63.50
1 day ago
The Daydreamer (Blu-ray)
$19.89
14 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible: The Original TV Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
1 day ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Black Clover: Season 1 and 2 Complete (Blu-ray)
$149.99
1 day ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.28
1 day ago
Supernatural: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$289.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 AM   #3501
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

David, played by Derrel Maury, is the new kid at Central High, a school run by three sadistic bullies who constantly torment other teenagers on the lower rungs of the pecking order. Our antihero protagonist is torn between loyalties, since his old friend, Mark, played by Andrew Stevens, runs with tough crowd in order to fit in, and since Mark's girlfriend, played by Kimberly Beck, has her eye on him. David takes a stand to protect other students, only to be attacked and severely injured by the gang. After a hospital stay, he returns to school with revenge in mind. During the days that follow, as the bullies are hunted down one by one and as social hierarchies shift in unexpected ways, bloodshed and mayhem become the new classroom lessons.

The 1976 horror thriller, Massacre at Central High, written and directed by Rene Daalder, initially comes across as a standard exploitation revenge slasher, but the narrative takes some darkly fascinating social commentary side roads during the final half. The end result is not far removed from William Golding's 1954 novel, Lord of the Flies, which explores the notion that unrest and violence are inherent fixtures of human interaction. The fact that this screen tale focuses solely on the young characters without featuring any adult parents or teachers adds immensely to the menacing thematics.

When I first saw Massacre at Central High during my own adolescence, I was awed by the creative murders, including the electrocution death of a teen who flies into power lines while hang gliding and the bloody demise of a diver who leaps into an empty pool. Several years later, I was amused to see it airing as a double feature with the 1989 dark comedy, Heathers, for reasons that become apparent during both films. A sappy coming-of-age type of song, "Crossroads" by Tommy Leonetti, guides us through the opening credits as just one of this movie's many curveballs. This is hardly Academy Award material, but it is a wildly entertaining and surprisingly resonant endeavor.

Be on the lookout for Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith, whom all of you know from Caged Heat and The Pom Pom Girls, as a blonde student. Robert Carradine, who also appeared in The Pom Pom Girls before enjoying mainstream recognition as a lead in Revenge of the Nerds, also has a prominent role. Kimberly Beck would go on to star in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter.

This Synapse Blu-ray sports a beautifully filmic video presentation. I wish that all such drive-in movies from the 1970s would receive such love in high definition. A long documentary with present-day interviews from many key players is a joy to watch. Right now, I'm enjoying the audio interview tracks.
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-22-2021), gbm82 (01-22-2021), Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), horroru (01-22-2021), mja345 (01-22-2021), MJD64 (01-22-2021), Spasmo (01-22-2021), Thebunk (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:39 AM   #3502
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

I guess the fact that I recognized Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith right off the bat in Massacre at Central High is a sign that I have an unhealthy fascination with drive-in cinema.

That's okay, though.

I've accrued a respectable Rainbeaux Smith collection on Blu-ray over the years.
Thanks given by:
gbm82 (01-22-2021), indravayu (01-22-2021), Thebunk (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:46 AM   #3503
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019

I was feeling all loquacious with my complete sentences and the Owl comes in here with his lavish paragraphs...
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-22-2021), The Great Owl (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #3504
Power Member

Feb 2019
The Old Willow's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm82 View Post
Fans of arty mid 80s dystopia need The Comic in their collections! There's even a couple shots without smoke or gel lighting!

What the hell did I just watch?
When it comes to 80s dystopian stories... Iím thinking I need Dead-End Drive-In in my collection...

Being that I just thoroughly enjoyed Turkey Shoot for the first time last week...
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (01-22-2021), gbm82 (01-22-2021), Gotho(redux) (01-22-2021), Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), Spasmo (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #3505

Nov 2016
Times Square, NYC (circa 1983)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEricVornoff View Post
There used to be a real good one called The Projection Booth which did a lot of episodes about classic films (both CF and mainstream).

Not sure if it's still going though... this was 7 or 8 years back that I used to listen to it.
Still going and still amazing! Mike White, the host, recently did one on Cronenberg’s The Brood which is excellent. Finished the podcast, immediately ordered a $45 book which they discussed, then settled in to rewatch the flick. So good!
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #3506
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2019

Sometimes I question my life decisions... Like why did I think it was a good idea to watch the schlockfest Evil Spawn and then immediately watch the reworking The Alien Within?
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #3507
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdup Flix View Post
Still going and still amazing! Mike White, the host, recently did one on Cronenberg’s The Brood which is excellent. Finished the podcast, immediately ordered a $45 book which they discussed, then settled in to rewatch the flick. So good!
"THE BROOD is my version of KRAMER VS. KRAMER, but more realistic" - David Cronenberg

David Cronenberg's early horror films are just so damn brilliant - they satisfy as visceral exploitation and yet keep your head spinning with their fascinating ideas and metaphors. THE BROOD is my favorite among his early Canadian horror offerings, and that shot of Samantha Eggars' daughter Candice walking down that desolate, snowswept road holding hands with two of Eggars' other "children" remains one of the most haunting and eerie in all of '70s cinema for me...

the-brood-candy-the-brood.jpg.jpg

Last edited by MJD64; 01-22-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-22-2021), Fdup Flix (01-23-2021), gimmeshelter (01-22-2021), Gotho(redux) (01-22-2021), Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), horroru (01-22-2021), hudson4k (01-22-2021), Ruemorgue10 (01-22-2021), Spasmo (01-22-2021), The Great Owl (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #3508
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Having reread my post, I have to say I was being very pessimistic with what I said. Fingers crossed, hopefully, cinemas will reopen this year. I'll wait for the physical media release of the new Bond film (the last Bond film I liked was GoldenEye, and the last one I truly liked was Licence to Kill).

Before you-know-what last year, I was only going to the local cinema if there was something I really wanted to see (the last two films I saw were the new Halloween film and the second Black Christmas remake). I used to go regularly a long time ago.

When cinemas do reopen, one of these days, I will see a one-off screening of Licence to Kill. Wasn't old enough to see it when it was originally released in cinemas.
I remember seeing ‘The Living Daylights’ in a cinema in Bowness, Windermere (The Lake District) when I was young. They had a organ and a woman came round with choc ices! Class!

I think the younger generation have really missed out with the cinema experience. You could even buy a programme with details about the film and superb, glossy pictures. I wish I hadn’t lost my Superman 2 programme. Loved it.
Also, the nervous tension when you approach the entrance and hope that the capacity isn’t full. Happened once with Rocky 4, just saw the steward raise his hand when I was about to enter. The dreaded full house gesture!
For the younger members, that’s where the phrase blockbuster came from, the long lines of people waiting to get in would sometimes stretch around blocks. (I’m sure most know that).

Last edited by Steedeel; 01-22-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), horroru (01-22-2021), OceanBlue (01-22-2021), Spasmo (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #3509
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yeah the very beginning of The Elephant Man is very Lynchian. I remember as a young kid thinking....
[Show spoiler]did the Elephant Man look the way he did because his Mom was attacked by an Elephant??
That was the interpretation my young 6 or 7 year old mind took from that weird beginning. To this day I still don't fully understand that opening sequence... but like all great Lynch - I believe he wants each viewer to take away their own interpretation!
I think Merrick himself stated his growths didnít show up until he was 5 years old. The Elephant story seemed to just grow legs and stick, but the more I read, the more Iím convinced it was made up. More likely, it was genetic as I think he had siblings who died as children. There seemed to be some issues gene wise. His mother died in her 30ís.
Thanks given by:
DrEricVornoff (01-22-2021), Spasmo (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #3510

Aug 2016
Rat infested catacombs

Quote:
When it comes to 80s dystopian stories... Iím thinking I need Dead-End Drive-In in my collection...

Being that I just thoroughly enjoyed Turkey Shoot for the first time last week...
I absolutely love Dead-End Drive-In. Awesome little movie!

Anyway, I received my copy of Werewolf the series from Amazon France today. Can't wait to dive headfirst into this little slice of nostalgia.
Thanks given by:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #3511
Expert Member

Nov 2017
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:

I have Dead End Drive In en route at the moment, never seen it before. But I know Garry Who (also from Fair Game) is in it, and my wife and I have been watching an early 90s sitcom that he stars in every night over the last couple of weeks haha. So I might even get her to watch it with me just for that...
Thanks given by:
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #3512
Special Member

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I remember seeing ĎThe Living Daylightsí in a cinema in Bowness, Windermere (The Lake District) when I was young. They had a organ and a woman came round with choc ices! Class!

I think the younger generation have really missed out with the cinema experience. You could even buy a programme with details about the film and superb, glossy pictures. I wish I hadnít lost my Superman 2 programme. Loved it.
Also, the nervous tension when you approach the entrance and hope that the capacity isnít full. Happened once with Rocky 4, just saw the steward raise his hand when I was about to enter. The dreaded full house gesture!
For the younger members, thatís where the phrase blockbuster came from, the long lines of people waiting to get in would sometimes stretch around blocks. (Iím sure most know that).
So true. I remember going to see Return of.the Jedi. There was someone dressed as a Gamorean guard and a red imperial guard dude greeting people at the door. Shit i had that program forever!
Last time it felt remotely the same was when LOTR was coming.out. Now, forget it. People don't care. Kids don't care. They just want it instantly on their phone. Same with music. Same with new albums. Art, of all kind, is disposable to most.
Thanks given by:
horroru (01-22-2021), Steedeel (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #3513
Expert Member

Nov 2017
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltydrummer View Post
So true. I remember going to see Return of.the Jedi. There was someone dressed as a Gamorean guard and a red imperial guard dude greeting people at the door. Shit i had that program forever!
Last time it felt remotely the same was when LOTR was coming.out. Now, forget it. People don't care. Kids don't care. They just want it instantly on their phone. Same with music. Same with new albums. Art, of all kind, is disposable to most.
Agree, it's sad to see the enthusiasm that once came with music & film disappear these days. Most people wonder why you would even bother buying a Blu ray or a physical CD or record when you can just scroll through a streaming service and decide what to watch or listen to.

Same goes with the cinema now. It's just not the same. I refuse to go to the main chains because they're all 24-screen multiplexes where each theatre is tiny, it's overpriced with allocated seating, people are on their phones, plus I have no interest in 99% of new releases anyway.

I'm very fortunate that my nearest cinema is single screen 1200-seat art deco theatre from 1936. It has loads of atmosphere and they run 3-monthly calendars of mostly a different double feature every night, some still on film and some on DCP, some nights are new releases while other nights cult classics ranging from the more mainstream (eg. The Blues Brothers or classic franchises) to the more obscure (I've even seen low budget sexploitation stuff like Gas Pump Girls there).

It's had a few closure scares over the years so I always try to support it. And while I can be hit & miss with the more recent Tarantino films, I still always enjoy going to things like The Hateful Eight when they did the proper 70mm roadshow (complete with a free programme handed out, and the Morricone overture & intermission) and it feels like a real event. While it's disheartening to see the way people consume art in such a disposable way now, it's always uplifting to see people lined up around the block of a 1936 cinema with dodgy broken 85 year old seats to see the celluloid presentation of the same movie playing as a DCP at the modern multiplex up the road.

Edit: With all the talk of Lynch on here over the last few pages, I just noticed that Sunday night that cinema played a double feature of The Elephant Man and Mulholland Drive (after playing Fargo as the afternoon matinee).

Last edited by TrentW1982; 01-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
bubbafett73 (01-23-2021), Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), horroru (01-22-2021), martinb (01-22-2021), Steedeel (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #3514

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
For the younger members, thatís where the phrase blockbuster came from, the long lines of people waiting to get in would sometimes stretch around blocks. (Iím sure most know that).
I did not know that! Fascinating. I guess I never thought about the word origin but that's a fun fact.
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (01-22-2021), Steedeel (01-22-2021), TrentW1982 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #3515
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

Got around to watching Witchtrap last night. A good enough affair with a handful of good moments. I did laugh quite a bit. One of the women in there had a particularly bad line reading.

I've mad it through all but one of my VS BF releases, and that one's a Beast.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #3516
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:

Dont get me wrong - I enjoyed Dead End Drive-In, but it's the weakest of B-TS's work. I thought Turkey Shoot was a MUCH better flick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebunk View Post
Just spitballing here but does anyone have any experience and/or interest in podcasting? There are not enough good podcasts out there for film IMO. I love Pure Cinema, Just the Discs and Colors of the Dark/Shockwaves, but find everything else dull, overlong, or uninteresting.
The Video Nasty Project not withstanding (and obviously I'm biased ), I like to listen to The Podcast Under the Stairs. Mostly horror, but the episodes are pretty well produced and the community on facebook is pretty jumping.

Last edited by El_Fez; 01-22-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Thanks given by:
Thebunk (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #3517
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Yeah, I agree to a certain extent but having worked in a college where there were plenty of young people hugely passionate about film making, there is hope.

But yeah, happy memories. I might as well have been born in the cinema I spent that much time in them. My grandfather was a projectionist so I inherited my love of film from him!
Thanks given by:
Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #3518
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmeshelter View Post
I did not know that! Fascinating. I guess I never thought about the word origin but that's a fun fact.
Showing my age!
Thanks given by:
gimmeshelter (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #3519
Power Member

Feb 2019
The Old Willow's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotho(redux) View Post
...I received my copy of Werewolf the series from Amazon France today. Can't wait to dive headfirst into this little slice of nostalgia.
Thanks given by:
Gotho(redux) (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #3520
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
I saw Avengers: Endgame on opening night, and felt that old magic again as everyone in the audience collectively went wild when the fallen Avengers appeared on the battlefield.
I wish that I could have bottled up the exhilaration and joy of that moment so that I could drink from it whenever I'm having a bad day.

It is tough for movie experiences to live up to my own youth, when I saw the original Star Wars trilogy, the Jaws films, the Indiana Jones films, and such, but I still genuinely enjoy seeing people get excited about cinema these days, even if it's over a superhero franchise.

What bothers me in present day is that I am missing out on a lot of potentially amazing films simply because I don't want to subscribe to a thousand different pay channels.

As far as music goes, there are some gems out there these days. Watching the career arc of Kendrick Lamar over the past decade is akin to what it must have been like to have followed Bob Dylan during the 1960s or Bruce Springsteen during the 1970s.
There's a Vancouver goth-rock band, Actors, with whom I've been obsessed over the past couple of years. Their new album, Acts of Worship, is really going to be something else when it hits in a few months.
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (01-22-2021), Guiltydrummer (01-22-2021), horroru (01-23-2021), Steedeel (01-22-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America