Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Battlestar Galactica 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 hr ago
Sisu 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.36
19 hrs ago
Needful Things 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66
1 day ago
Clint Eastwood: The Universal Pictures 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.98
1 day ago
Sisu (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
1 day ago
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.82
1 day ago
The Adventures of Batman: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.95

Peacemaker: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.98
22 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you still watch laserdiscs?
Yes, I still watch my laserdiscs. 423 55.88%
No, I was an LD user, but I no longer watch laserdiscs. 334 44.12%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #21

May 2009
New Zealand

Latest additions;

Brenda Kendall (Nurse McTavish, to the left, in the middle)
Bill Ralston (Stewart - First victim, from start of film, bottom right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0647.jpg (76.0 KB, 523 views)
Old 04-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #22
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Default Laserdisc on an HDTV...

Does anybody have a Laserdisc player set up to their HDTV.

I have set mine up a few times and the quality of Laserdisc is still pretty good.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #23

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler95 View Post
Does anybody have a Laserdisc player set up to their HDTV.

I have set mine up a few times and the quality of Laserdisc is still pretty good.
I really liked laser discs. They were more fun to collect than dvds and blu-rays, probable because of the larger package with more materials. The James Bond 3 pack and Star Wars were good as was the Abyss box set.

Not having HDMI or componet outputs would limit the quality compared to blu-ray.

Do you have any CAVs? I bet that quality is pretty good on HDTV. The Fugitive had one CAV disc and I noticed a quality difference.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Yeah..well i have a 1080p projector and i have copie of original ET and Indiana Jones and they are pretty Horrible. More rescent film are better. It's betteen VHS and DVD PQ wise
Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #25
Special Member

Apr 2010
The State That Started A Nation

For a short time I had my LD player hooked up to my 1130. Quite honestly, most titles looked bad, and blowing up bad just means much more bad. S-video only helped a bit. I finally removed it from my system and put it in a bedroom with my spare 32" Sony XBR. At that size, the PQ is much more tolerable.

This is all IMHO, of course.

Michael
Old 04-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #26
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Default CAV Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwa View Post
I really liked laser discs. They were more fun to collect than dvds and blu-rays, probable because of the larger package with more materials. The James Bond 3 pack and Star Wars were good as was the Abyss box set.

Not having HDMI or componet outputs would limit the quality compared to blu-ray.

Do you have any CAVs? I bet that quality is pretty good on HDTV. The Fugitive had one CAV disc and I noticed a quality difference.
All my Laserdiscs are CAV. Lion King looked pretty good.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-
-
-

My LD player is acting up a bit, thought it had died even, but on a whim recently I took the cover off and it seems to work sporadically that way. When it does work, or when it did work reliably in the past, I'll go with others who say it doesn't look all that great (60" screen). I still have 2 or 3 titles that never made it to DVD that I intend to transfer over, but not expecting much beyond being able to watch them again, more conveniently. Hopefully the player will limp along and work okay enough so that I can actually do that. Perhaps I'll be surprised when I check some of the other LDs out.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
Special Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

I have my Pioneer CLD-99 running through my Onkyo 5507 and then out to my 65" Panny plama. PQ is hit or miss but I do have my resolution set to 1080p in the Onkyo. One thing to remember is that many players look better when hooked up, ready for this, by their composite inputs. It all depends on what type of comb filter is in your display. some, but not many, do look better via svideo (this is how I have mine connected) but most of those player seem to be made by Pioneer. check out this forum for a lot of good info on laser discs:
http://www.mindspring.com/~laserdisc-forever/
Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #29
Power Member

Aug 2008
Washington D.C.

Got one in the closet I wish I could sell. It is a Pioneer CLD-D503. Titles I have left:

Cosmic Slop
Michael Jackson Dangerous - The Short Films
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Predator 2
The Omega Man
Toy Story
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Last edited by E55 KEV; 04-24-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

I have a few of my own that I've been waiting to try out (Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, 2001, The Abyss)...stumbled across them for $1 each at a music/movies warehouse-type store. Haven't picked up a player yet though.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #31

Aug 2009
-
-
-
Default Recent laserdisc acquisitions

Anyone add a laserdisc to their collection lately? What did you pick up? Was it a good deal or did you pay a high price as a collectible?

I'll start this one up with with my latest couple of purchases. My last two LDs were welcome additions to my collection. Diane Keaton's Unstrung Heroes (1995) is a well-made film that I have only owned on videocassette with hissy audio. It was released several years ago on DVD, but with no bonus features, so for me the laserdisc is an upgrade from my VHS and I'm missing nothing from the DVD. Great tragicomic performance from Seinfeld's Michael Richards.

As a Beatles fan, I was thrilled recently to find the now out-of-print Paul McCartney: Movin' On (1993) on LD. I had only seen this on TV before. Great to see mid-'90s Paul and Linda a mere few years before her passing.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #32

Aug 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post

I have a few of my own that I've been waiting to try out (Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, 2001, The Abyss)...stumbled across them for $1 each at a music/movies warehouse-type store. Haven't picked up a player yet though.
Hi Sussudio. As a moderator, I guess you were the one who renamed the thread with the "Official" word added to it. I guess we're getting a vote of recognition from the higher-ups at blu-ray.com! Enjoy your vintage LDs. You'll probably find a decent player locally if you go through Craigslist or Kijiji. I got my second player from a listing on Kijiji. It turned out the seller lived directly across the street from where I park for work downtown.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #33
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

My player died years ago. Been trying to find a new one (I know not new but working at least) at a descent price. I still have a good collection of Laserdiscs I wish I could watch
Old 04-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I have a few disc and a player...just don't know where its at have to look for it...

A few movies that I had that i could remember was..

Die Hard
Predator
Star Wars
The Abyss
Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #35

Aug 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post

I have a few of my own that I've been waiting to try out (Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, 2001, The Abyss).
Did you get the Criterion Collection editions of Blade Runner or 2001? Neither of those were re-released on DVD or BD to my knowledge, and contain unique bonus features/booklets. Definite collector's items.

The MGM/UA laserdisc of 2001 was re-released on DVD and contained a nice interview with A.C. Clarke that I don't think exists on other editions. Both that DVD and the previous LD are now out of print.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #36
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
I have a few disc and a player...just don't know where its at have to look for it...

A few movies that I had that i could remember was..

Die Hard
Predator
Star Wars
The Abyss
I have all three original Star Wars on Laserdisc, the "unraped childhood edition" as some might wish to call them on there I would really love to see how they look now
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
Expert Member

Apr 2009

Laserdisc was the Best.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #38

May 2008

I still have a whole bunch of great HK movies on Laserdisc at my parents house somewhere. Drunken Master II, Fist of Legend, Once upon a time in china 4 and 5 etc, etc...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #39
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamenriderrx View Post
I still have a whole bunch of great HK movies on Laserdisc at my parents house somewhere. Drunken Master II, Fist of Legend, Once upon a time in china 4 and 5 etc, etc...
Sharp, some of those must have look nice.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #40

Aug 2009
-
-
-
Default Star Wars laserdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I have all three original Star Wars on Laserdisc, the "unraped childhood edition" as some might wish to call them on there I would really love to see how they look now
I finally got my Star Wars: Definitive Collection (1993) only a couple of Christmases ago, along with the Special Edition (1997) box set at a Goodwill thrift store. I got each set for 12 bucks and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them ditched among the vinyl LP section on the floor. My Definitive Collection is one of the early releases that has missing and poor subtitle captions. I think these box sets went for about $250 when they were released. I was only able to admire them from the other side of the cash register when they were first released.

Last edited by LaserD; 04-24-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion