Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Danger: Diabolik (Blu-ray)
$24.96
11 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

The Vanishing (Blu-ray)
$6.96
4 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
8 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 08-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #1921
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I agree on all points. Plus, what exactly makes OLED more expensive than LED's other than the fact it's the superior picture quality? Is there something in the production process that makes it more costly to manufacture? Is there something inherent in the tech itself that makes it more costly? Why do OLEDS HAVE to be more expensive than standard LED?
An old article but probably still true. Basically LG Display makes all the panels.

https://www.techradar.com/news/there...rom-affordable

Quote:
As it turns out, making massive OLED screens is really really hard. Yield rates are low, which means that a manufacturer has to price the panels for the amount of dud versions that are produced before they get one that works.

The result was that, one by one, each TV manufacturer stopped producing OLED panels. Samsung turned its attention to Quantum Dot technology, which it sees as having the more certain future, while Sony focussed on using better picture processing technology and backlighting to get the most out of LCD displays.
Quote:
Fast forward to 2017, and the situation seems to have completely reversed itself. Almost every major manufacturer (barring the QLED obsessed Samsung) now has an OLED TV sitting pretty at the top of their lineups. Sony has the excellent Bravia A1E, Panasonic has the EZ1002, and even the TP-Vision-owned Philips has released a couple of OLED sets.

But look closely and youíll realise this isnít quite the competition thatís needed to make OLED TV prices plummeting.

Thatís because while Sony, Panasonic and TCL are all technically releasing their own OLED TVs, theyíre all still using panels produced by LG Display, a subsidiary of LG.

And with all of them needing to use another companyís tech to produce their TVs, theyíre pretty restricted with how low they can take their prices, leading to most manufacturers promoting their TVs as the Ďpremiumí alternative to LGís lineup with better picture processing, and more fully-featured smart operating systems.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #1922

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
Do you have any insights on why Panasonic is not shipping their OLED set to the U.S.?
I know the answer to this, but unsure if that was a question you already know the answer to
Old 08-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #1923
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap11 View Post
I know the answer to this, but unsure if that was a question you already know the answer to
I certainly don't the answer. I would like to get an OLED TV one day. Panasonic OLED TV's being sold in the U.S would certainly help the OLED TV market. In my opinion, the prices are still high on OLED TV's because so few of them are on the market.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #1924

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
I certainly don't the answer. I would like to get an OLED TV one day. Panasonic OLED TV's being sold in the U.S would certainly help the OLED TV market. In my opinion, the prices are still high on OLED TV's because so few of them are on the market.
OLED cost a lot to make, and Panasonic would enter the market at a premium price vs LG. They would not move many units for them to be profitable once you incorporate support cost (Dedicated Customer service reps, Repair Cost, etc). Our market is very niche and sometimes we forget that. Most consumers aren't willing to pay 2k for a TV (LG Oled) let alone Panasonics at roughly 4K. The main reason why they cannot sell OLEDs in the US today is that they need to under FCC testing (More cost), other countries don't have to deal with this. The reason why LG can always be priced low is that they buy from their subdivision LGD. They can get their panels for $200 vs Sony and Panasonic have to pay like $500+ for the same panels.
Thanks given by:
Steelmaker (08-22-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #1925
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap11 View Post
OLED cost a lot to make, and Panasonic would enter the market at a premium price vs LG. They would not move many units for them to be profitable once you incorporate support cost (Dedicated Customer service reps, Repair Cost, etc). Our market is very niche and sometimes we forget that. Most consumers aren't willing to pay 2k for a TV (LG Oled) let alone Panasonics at roughly 4K. The main reason why they cannot sell OLEDs in the US today is that they need to under FCC testing (More cost), other countries don't have to deal with this. The reason why LG can always be priced low is that they buy from their subdivision LGD. They can get their panels for $200 vs Sony and Panasonic have to pay like $500+ for the same panels.
That's very informative, thank you for that explanation. I really wish more companies would jump into OLED, I believe the more sets on the market (competition) would eventually drive down the price. Right now, OLED is too high, even LG's OLED are still too expensive to me. I would want to get a 65 inch OLED with all the bells and whistles and they will run you close to $3,000 plus including taxes. I'm unwilling to pay that for a TV right now.

I refuse to buy a QLED, because I love deep blacks and from what I've seen of QLED, while really nice, still doesn't have the blacks that OLED have.

Last edited by Auditor55; 09-15-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #1926
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I asked this a while back, but really never got an answer so I'll ask again in hopes that someone might know.

My Panasonic VT60 has random pinkish "blotches" (sorry, it's the only way I know how to describe them) on the screen and they wont go away. They are most easily seen when the screen goes to all white. In most cases it's not noticeable when watching a show. There's one rather large one on the right of the screen and there's a couple of smaller ones on the bottom left. Does anyone have an idea of what is causing this and if they can be eliminated?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #1927

Oct 2016

In the back of the unit there are vertical and horitzontal ribbons/tapes running across the whole screen that are held in place by connectors. Perhaps 8 up & 6 across
Sometimes they come loose and you can see blotches or banding down or across the particular width of the particular ribbon.
If the blotching is overall that may be a different problem.
If its to just one section of the screen, you may try re-tightening the particular ribbon(s). Open the connector, blow out any dust or dirt and re-close it.
There are Youtube clips of the process.

Last edited by davidh27; 02-16-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #1928
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh27 View Post
In the back of the unit there are vertical and horitzontal ribbons/tapes running across the whole screen that are held in place by connectors. Perhaps 8 up & 6 across
Sometimes they come loose and you can see blotches or banding down or across the particular width of the particular ribbon.
If the blotching is overall that may be a different problem.
If its to just one section of the screen, you may try re-tightening the particular ribbon(s). Open the connector, blow out any dust or dirt and re-close it.
There are Youtube clips of the process.
Fix Panasonic Plasma TV Vertical or Horizontal Bars - YouTube
I appreciate your help but that's not at all what my TV is doing. I literally have a light pinkish "blob" on the right upper side of my TV about the size of a baseball. It's not a distinctive bar running down the screen like in that video. I've tried to photograph it and post it but it never comes out to where you can really see it.

Robert, I ordered the set from your store. Have you seen this before or heard of any other owners reporting this issue with the VT60?

Note: I have attached a picture that I photo shopped to try and give you guys an idea of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4a05705fe655864e9bbad98c970e1c27443d163a.jpg (62.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Steelmaker; 02-18-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #1929
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
Illinois

I had some pink spots on white backgrounds on my VT60 as well. I had to get into the service menu and change some thing in there and that helped with the issue quite a bit. It’s been awhile since I did it and don’t remember what the steps are. I’m pretty sure I came across the instructions in the TVs thread on AVS forum.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #1930
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
I had some pink spots on white backgrounds on my VT60 as well. I had to get into the service menu and change some thing in there and that helped with the issue quite a bit. Itís been awhile since I did it and donít remember what the steps are. Iím pretty sure I came across the instructions in the TVs thread on AVS forum.
Thanks. Yeah that's the VSUS setting in the service menu. I did manage to change that over the weekend and it improved it tremendously!
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (03-15-2019), fdm (03-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 12:28 AM   #1931
Special Member

Jan 2011

I'm now being confronted by the line bleeding issue as a relatively new owner of an otherwise amazing ST60. I hardly notice it at all especially on color films and it's nothing compared to old school issues on lower end old CRTs and aliasing on NTSC era stuff.

But the big problem for me and where I first really noticed it is how badly it affects black and white titles. Instead of just being line bleeding it affects color and the affected area picks up a pinkish or almost magenta purple cast that can wreak havoc on closeups making an actor's face half B&W and half pink-reddish.
I watch black and white constantly if not more often than color so this is a giant issue for me.

I prefer my HDCRT for SD materials despite the st60 having a pretty remarkable comb filter for LD. The st60 shows of every wart and defect of DVD as well.

Outside of top end OLEDs othing on the market currently matches this panel I'd argue...but this line bleeding is really nuts.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #1932

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsolo View Post
I'm now being confronted by the line bleeding issue as a relatively new owner of an otherwise amazing ST60. I hardly notice it at all especially on color films and it's nothing compared to old school issues on lower end old CRTs and aliasing on NTSC era stuff.

But the big problem for me and where I first really noticed it is how badly it affects black and white titles. Instead of just being line bleeding it affects color and the affected area picks up a pinkish or almost magenta purple cast that can wreak havoc on closeups making an actor's face half B&W and half pink-reddish.
I watch black and white constantly if not more often than color so this is a giant issue for me.

I prefer my HDCRT for SD materials despite the st60 having a pretty remarkable comb filter for LD. The st60 shows of every wart and defect of DVD as well.

Outside of top end OLEDs othing on the market currently matches this panel I'd argue...but this line bleeding is really nuts.
Line bleeding is a inherent issue on Panasonic Plasma TVs. I own a ST60 and line bleeding has always been an issue since day no. Does it bother me? No not really, it's only noticeable when you watch cartoons, anime, and content with solid colors and high contrasts. So it can't be helped.

However once you panel starts aging past the 10,000 hour mark, you are going to start seeing some green pixels on people's faces like if they were spray with green slime or something. This can be fixed through adjustments however like lowering the panel brightness to Low and adjusting the gamma detail.

My ST60 has hit over 20,000 hours, and it's starting to lose some of its brightness and the picture quality started to degrade. The black levels are getting grainier and grainier like film grain. Despite all of this, the picture quality still destroys any 4K TV except OLED.
Thanks given by:
captainsolo (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 01:02 AM   #1933
Special Member

Jan 2011

I need to check the hours again. I'm not seeing anything like green pixels as of yet but I do wish I could figure out if its possible to lessen the affect of the line bleeding on B&W titles. It's interesting that this affect is far lessened to nonexistent on B&W DVDs and standard def.
I have the Dnice settings applied but did back down the contrast and brightness as it seemed too bright for my space.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #1934

Feb 2014

Yeah let me know what they are. I'm glad you haven't seen green pixels yet and with D-Nice settings you will eventually as those are the settings I'm using too.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #1935
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarchafa View Post
Yeah let me know what they are. I'm glad you haven't seen green pixels yet and with D-Nice settings you will eventually as those are the settings I'm using too.
How does one check to see how many hours of usage their televisions have? I have a Panasonic plasma from 2008, still going strong. The 85U series, I play on finally upgrading towards the end of this year, would love to stay with Panasonic for an OLED but they continue to stay out of the U.S. market when it comes to television so if I am eyeing the LG CX (aka C10 series).
Old 01-23-2020, 04:30 AM   #1936
Special Member

Jan 2011

I found I had to lower my contrast from the DNice setting of 50 and add a touch of brightness to make the panel better suit my viewing room. I had noticed some eye strain and contrast seeming a bit high so I popped on the trusty DVE test patterns and saw I needed to make some adjustments. I've left everything else as DNice list is but my contrast is now at 35 and my brightness at about 10 or so. This has made an immediate improvement and don't have any loss of ranges on the gray ramp contrast test pattern on DVE.

This seems to have lessened the bleeding line effect on black and white titles a little but it's still there as is the occasional bleedthrough of character and background.

DVDs still are a headache I must admit. Nothing I try can combat just how noisy they look on the st60. I've tested some really nice discs and there's just noise everywhere unless it's a very modern movie where the DVD is a downscaled disc in a BD release.

Pop the same disc back on my xbr960 upscaled to 1080i and it's beautiful.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #1937
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Um....so silly question...

I just bought an Apple TV 4k. Mostly just to keep current and so on the sad inevitable day that my Pannny dies I'll be ready for 4k.

But as I was mucking with it, I kept hearing all about HDR and the horror stories with Apple's product and the apparent gong show of various TV's not implementing it properly, needing special HDMI cables, having to change the options on your HDMI inputs to support it etc. etc. etc.

So...does the TC-P65ZT60 support HDR???
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM   #1938
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Update...

Ok did more research....it looks like only 4k TV's support HDR. Is that a fair assessment?

Sad that what was the world's most advanced TV is technically obsolete in only a couple years if that's the case.
Old Today, 12:26 AM   #1939

Sep 2009
Vancouver

I had the same ZT, sold it and got an
oled. It was a great tv for me, but I love
4k. There's a lot of people who are still
looking to buy that tv. You might want to
think about that. Good luck.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs