Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
19 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
2 hrs ago
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Barry Lyndon (Blu-ray)
$18.96
21 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Sacrifice! (Blu-ray)
$6.90

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Blue Planet II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Midnight Cowboy (Blu-ray)
$18.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)
Default Feature plays fine but no audio for extras??

I've got my Blu-ray player hooked up to an Onkyo stereo receiver. Everything was working fine until last night when I tried to watch some of the extras on my copy of Adrift and there was no sound. The film played just fine. Tried other discs and it was the exact same problem - no audio signal for any of the extras. Anyone know why this is happening?
Old 09-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

How is your player connected to the Onkyo?
Can you post your player model?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 09-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
How is your player connected to the Onkyo?
Can you post your player model?
TX-8050. I've got a basic setup: HDMI connected to the TV. Nothing going into the receiver so it's BD player to TV. I've never had a problem.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
TX-8050. I've got a basic setup: HDMI connected to the TV. Nothing going into the receiver so it's BD player to TV. I've never had a problem.
How are you connected to the receiver? Digital Coaxial/Optical from the TV?
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
How are you connected to the receiver? Digital Coaxial/Optical from the TV?
You're saying two different things. In your first post you say that you're blu-ray is connected to an Onyko receiver. Then you say your blu-ray player is connected directly to your TV.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
You're saying two different things. In your first post you say that you're blu-ray is connected to an Onyko receiver. Then you say your blu-ray player is connected directly to your TV.
Right, I've perceived his post the same way, unless the OP left out some information.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I've got my Blu-ray player hooked up to an Onkyo stereo receiver. Everything was working fine until last night when I tried to watch some of the extras on my copy of Adrift and there was no sound. The film played just fine. Tried other discs and it was the exact same problem - no audio signal for any of the extras. Anyone know why this is happening?
Is anything connected to your receiver or not because, you've stated that the Blu-ray player is connected to your TV. If there is nothing connected to your receiver from the blu-ray player, you won't get any audio from the receiver at all. You will get audio only from your TV.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Is anything connected to your receiver or not because, you've stated that the Blu-ray player is connected to your TV. If there is nothing connected to your receiver from the blu-ray player, you won't get any audio from the receiver at all. You will get audio only from your TV.
Sorry about the confusion, guys - got a lot going on these past few days. So my BD player is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. I'm running an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. No audio when I play the extras but the film itself plays fine. Could it be a setting on the TV I somehow changed inadvertently?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Sorry about the confusion, guys - got a lot going on these past few days. So my BD player is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. I'm running an optical cable from the TV to the receiver. No audio when I play the extras but the film itself plays fine. Could it be a setting on the TV I somehow changed inadvertently?
Do you get any audio from the TV, when you're playing the extra features?
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

Quote:
Do you get any audio from the TV, when you're playing the extra features?
I'll have to double check when I get home tonight but, yes, I believe I do get sound through the TV's speakers. Why would this be and why is this occurring now all of a sudden?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I'll have to double check when I get home tonight but, yes, I believe I do get sound through the TV's speakers. Why would this be and why is this occurring now all of a sudden?
Have you checked your optical cable connections from the TV to the receiver? Maybe one of the connectors has pulled out either from the TV or the receiver. If the optical cable is too short in length and doesn't have enough slack between its components, it will pull and become disconnected from the port.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
Quote:
Right, I've perceived his post the same way, unless the OP left out some information.
Quote:
I'd assumed that the OP had forgot to mention how they were connected to the receiver! Obviously if they're not connected, they will have no sound, but as they mentioned they played the movie fine through the receiver, it was hopefully a safe assumption.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Can you post your BD player model? it might be worth checking to see what the audio output options are, as well as secondary video audio options.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion