Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.31
12 hrs ago
The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.58
12 hrs ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
5 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$15.99
12 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Jul 2009
Default Remote question: 2 sony BD players on same TV

is there any way to set up either the players or the remote so that 2 sony BD players can work off of a universal remote without the signal for either player operating the other? or if i want to have 2 players hooked up to the same TV, do they just need to be different brands to avoid this? thanks for any info.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I don't think there is a solution for that.

All the Sony BD players share the same codes for the most part.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2006
The Piedmont, NC
Lightbulb I don't think so . . . but here's my solution

I have 2 current models of Sony blu-ray players:
  • BDP-S1000ES
  • BDP-S370

And they use exactly the same remote codes, though there are a few different functions unique to each.

The first player I use strictly as a movie player (DVD and Blu-ray) because of the incredible Marvell video chip that it incorporates.

The second I use strictly as a music player (CD and SACD) because it plays the latter format and because it also has the great Gracenote webservice for CD metadata which is displayed onscreen.

How I resolved the problem is I ordered a set of 3 wireless AC adapters which can be turned on/off via an RF remote control. My Harmony remote is programmed for each activity (Listen to music or Watch movies) and the signals don't interfere with the unintended player because it's power is switched off at the source.

You can buy a set of these wireless AC adapters at Amazon.

NOTE: the RF codes for the outlets are NOT controlled by the Harmony, but some universal remotes may do RF signals.

They're only $25 and work great for what I need.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #4

Mar 2009
Sydney
Thumbs up Ground control to 2014.....

My apologies for bumping up this dinosaur of a thread, if anyone is searching google for answers, here was my solution for connecting 2 sony blu ray players on the same TV at the same time with 2 separate remotes w/o conflicts. If your TV supports this, in bd player system settings, turn on control for HDMI and also do the same on the TV, make sure that control for HDMI is switched off on the other bd player. Now the player acts like a separate remote, your TV remote will control your bd player 1, and bd player 2 you use with the sony bd remote, and now you can use 2 sony bd players simultaneously w/o any hiccups.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2012

i have no solution for you but i own 2 older models panasonic blu ray players that allow you to do what you want by changing the remote code in the menu
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2011

Sorry to bump this.

I have a Sony UHD player (UBP-X800) that I use as my primary player. I also have a Sony bluray player (DP-S6500) that I use to be region free. When I use the remote for the UHD player it turns on the other player and vice versa. They are hooked up to a receiver via HDMI. Is there a way to fix this? I looked in the settings, but I didn't see anything for a remote. Maybe I didn't notice.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Sorry to bump this.

I have a Sony UHD player (UBP-X800) that I use as my primary player. I also have a Sony bluray player (DP-S6500) that I use to be region free. When I use the remote for the UHD player it turns on the other player and vice versa. They are hooked up to a receiver via HDMI. Is there a way to fix this? I looked in the settings, but I didn't see anything for a remote. Maybe I didn't notice.
You'll either need to physically block the IR sensor on the player you don't want to operate at the time or invest in a remote control solution that provides for IR routing. Some Sony Blu-ray players do offer more than one set of IR codes that could used. Neither of your Sony Blu-ray players do though.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 05-31-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Sorry to bump this.

It's probably easiest to work on your outlets, if you can isolate one device to one extension or socket over the other one you can just cut the power to the one you don't use.

The other solution is like AmishParadise posted, block the sensor and hopefully your AVR has a "power on with source button" setting, so you can use your AVR's remote to turn the other player on.

Either option should do the trick.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It's probably easiest to work on your outlets, if you can isolate one device to one extension or socket over the other one you can just cut the power to the one you don't use.

The other solution is like AmishParadise posted, block the sensor and hopefully your AVR has a "power on with source button" setting, so you can use your AVR's remote to turn the other player on.

Either option should do the trick.
Great suggestion. A smart power strip could even be used. Performed a quick search on Amazon. Here's just one example.

Thanks given by:
chip75 (06-01-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2011

OK thanks. Currently, I just unplug the region free one. I don't use it that often.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #11

Mar 2012

Quote:
Sorry to bump this.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet to see if there is a solution (will get to that in a sec)... I just had to smile cause I have the exact same setup as you (though not entirely by choice)...

I bought the region free S6500 to play all my EU stuff (just moved back to the states after many many years abroad)... I just didn't notice that it didn't play 4K BD's until it arrived and at the same time I had a bunch of 4K BD's on the way(doh).

So I decided to buy the X800 for all my domestic, multi region, and future 4K films (I could have exchanged the 6500 for an region free x800 but didn't want to go through the hassle.

Hope I can find a way to control both players independently of each other.

Edit:...And i can see switchable outlets are about my only option (the one pictured just above actualy looks simple enough). Like you I won't be using the 6500 that often so will also just unplug it for now... would be more convenient not to have to though (even with the smart strip).

Last edited by Rob801; 10-25-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders