Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Last-Minute Holiday Deals are Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.31
11 hrs ago
The Legend of Korra: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$19.58
11 hrs ago
Predator: 4-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.99
4 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$15.99
11 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5 Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.49

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Despicable Me 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Crazy Rich Asians 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #41
Banned

Oct 2008

All this BD Player stuff, it's so hard to stay with the most recent thing because there is always a new thing, so I guess get one and stick with it????
Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #42

Oct 2008

Can anyone help me with the audio capabilities of the panasonic dmp-bd50k v.s. the dmp-bd 55k, and the onkyo dv-bd60 and wich is the most advanced unit available?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #43

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone 15 View Post
Can anyone help me with the audio capabilities of the panasonic dmp-bd50k v.s. the dmp-bd 55k, and the onkyo dv-bd60 and wich is the most advanced unit available?
might want to start a new thread for that so people can come with advice directly.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM   #44

Nov 2008

good point popbuttox....
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #45

Oct 2008
Angry Memory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post, but I didn't see anything about the loss of memory with java application titles. Will this Play-Resume at the same spot ever be fixed or we always have to use bookmarks to find where we left off at?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona-Heat View Post
Good post, but I didn't see anything about the loss of memory with java application titles. Will this Play-Resume at the same spot ever be fixed or we always have to use bookmarks to find where we left off at?
It will NEVER be fixed because it's not the problem with the player but with the discs authoring. Discs without BD-J will auto-resume. Discs with BD-J will NEED Bookmarking code for you to leave bookmarks with; without the code, it's just a BD-J disc.

fuad
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #47

Jan 2009
Default bd live

is the pioneer bd 51 has the necessary hardware to be updated to bd live
Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #48

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by highhopes75 View Post
is the pioneer bd 51 has the necessary hardware to be updated to bd live
No, it doesn't.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #49

Apr 2009
Default Samsung problems

hey richard, I recently bought the Samsung HT-BD2 system, which i think uses profile 1.0, and was unable to play "Taken" which I understand has been a problem with alot of the Samsung players. Could u please tell me why this is? What if how is the best way to overcome this? And do you think this will be an issue with many other Blu-ray discs that will be released or have already been released? Are there any other discs that the Samsung players have trouble with?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #50

Jan 2009

I have the HT-BD2 and it has played EVERY Blu-ray I bought, including 2009 titles like Sin City. Try updating the firmware from the samsung website.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #51

Jun 2009
Sydney, Australia

Anybody know if there will be any automatic all region blu-ray players coming out this year, I've got over 200 blu-ray titles now and am finding it increasingly annoying to have to punch in a code to change the region coding for various discs, I'd really like and would pay good money for a player that didn't require a switch/mod/code entered into it to switch it between a/b and would just detect and change it automatically depending on the disc.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #52

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post
9. What is persistent memory?
Persistent memory allows for the long term storage of data on the player and depending on the capabilities of the specific player can be done using built in flash memory, a hard drive, network storage, and external flash memory. All Blu-ray players are required to have at least 64 KB of built in persistent memory. The Bonus View profile requires the player to be capable of supporting at least 256 MB of persistent memory. The BD-Live profile requires the player to be capable of supporting at least 1 GB of persistent memory. For both Bonus View and BD-Live this can be done with either built in memory or with user provided memory such as a memory card or a USB flash drive. Note that all of the Bonus View players released so far can support more than 1 GB of persistent memory so in practice the only difference between Bonus View and BD-Live players has been internet capability.
Excellent information on what Persistent Memory is, but how is it utilized by a player when playing a movie? Do some movies with Bonus View content automatically store or cache some data from the disc in this memory area? Does persistent memory act as a cache or buffer for BD-Live content being downloaded via LAN connection on a Profile 2.0 player? What about Profile 1.1 players that use an SD Card as persistent memory? How is that type of storage used and is it ever required? This thread states above that the only real difference between a Profile 1.1 and a Profile 2.0 player is the LAN/Internet capability. Does this mean that a person who has a 1.1 player and an SD card could pre-download the BD-Live content and place it on the card before playing the movie?

Thanks in Advance,
- R
Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #53
Banned

Nov 2009

^%^

Nice write up.
You can add the Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo Player.

thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #54

Nov 2009

how to stream bluray movies to PS3 that are to big to be put on a memory stick or over 4gb
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #55

Nov 2009
Default 24 vs 60

I’ve known for some time now that my Samsung 750 DLP allows for, but doesn’t actually use the 24fps option from my Blu-ray source. I have always kept it on that setting from day one (back in the day when I initially said, “Boy, look what my new HDTV can do”!). Does anyone know if it’s better to have my Blu-ray player set at 60hz because of this fact, or is there absolutely no difference what so ever, and my Samsung 750 DLP will process either signal from my Blu-ray player just the same?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #56

Dec 2007
Ft. Myers, FL
Default New BD profile

It would seem to me that it is time to update Post #1 to add a summary for the new BD Profile that was approved and announced by the BDA on December 17 2009. Since the actual specification has not yet been released to other than the BDA members, for now the essential information contained in the BDA press release (HERE) could be captured, along with other reliable information, in Post #1 to make the information in this thread up-to-date. Below I offer text that could be used for expanding Post #1.

Blu-ray 3D (3-Dimension)
  • The Blu-ray 3D specification was approved by the Blu-ray Disc Association in December 2009.
  • Specifies both the player and the software requirements to support 3D content and playback of 3D Blu-ray Discs.
  • Specifics up to full 1080p resolution for dual video streams to support 3D video, i.e., one with the right eye and the second with the left eye perspective.
  • The specification calls for encoding 3D video using the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec, which is an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec. The standard AVC codec, supporting only 2D video, is one of the three video codecs required to be supported by all existing Blu-ray Disc players.
  • Discs encoded for 3D content using MVC will typically require approximately 50% more data than required to encode the equivalent length 2-dimension video title at the same video quality. Thus, Blu-ray 3D discs will have less available space to include video extras on the same disc while expecially lenthy movie titles (e.g., 3 hours) may require 2 discs, or a 2-sided disc, to contain the entire movie.
  • The specification also includes support for 3D graphical features.
  • 3D Movie titles will typically contain two 1080p video streams each encoded at 24 frames per second using the MVC codec.
  • Blu-ray 3D players are required to support, for 3D discs created from 24 frame-per-second film or HD video souces, an output (via HDMI) of dual 1080p/24 video streams to the 3D enabled HD display device. Some, perhaps most, Blu-ray 3D players may also offer an option to output each of the two video streams, required for 3D, at a higher refresh rate (e.g., 50 or 60 frames per second). Also for Blu-ray 3D discs created from 1080i video sources, BD players are expected to offer an output mode with dual 1080i video streams.
  • Nominally both the Blu-ray 3D player and the 3D enabled HD display will be expected to support the new HDMI 1.4 standard in order to fully support the features and options offered by the Blu-ray 3D specification. Any HDMI cable, Audio/Video Receiver or HDMI switch that is used in the video path between the Blu-ray 3D player and the 3D enabled HD display will also need to support HDMI version 1.4. However, is has been announced by Sony that they will release a firmware update for existing Playstation 3 consoles, which only has HDMI 1.3 hardware, to enable it to support BD 3D disc playback. A Sony spokesman has indicated some level of software emulation will be used within the PS3 to enable this capability. However, it is not currently known if the PS3 with the updated firmware will provide the same, or a more limited level of support for Blu-ray 3D as compared to new standalone BD players. Although details are not yet certain, it appears that some, perhaps all, Blu-ray 3D players and 3D capable HDTVs may offer user settings to force the 3D mode of operation. This may allow for HDMI 1.3 devices, such a AV Receivers, to be used in the signal path.
  • The first standalone Blu-ray Disc players with fully enabled 3D capability are anticpated to be available by mid-2010. However, some manufacturers have now begun to release new "3D ready" Blu-ray Disc players that will be upgradeable to fully support Blu-ray 3D via a firmware update planned for later this year.

Last edited by ronjones; 03-01-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Corrected typos and added some info on use of HDMI 1.3
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #57

May 2010

Hello,

I am new to the blu-ray scene and I want to ask a question.

Can I play new upcoming releases of Blu-ray discs movies that are built on Profile 2.0 on my Sharp BD-HP20SA?

I keep hearing about new movie releases after 2007 are obsolete with Blu-disc players that were built on Profile 1.0.

Hope someone would answer my question or ever tried playing new movies(profile 2.0 movies) on blu-ray players 1.0 profile.

Regards,

Saad
Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #58
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by saad3000 View Post
Hello,

I am new to the blu-ray scene and I want to ask a question.

Can I play new upcoming releases of Blu-ray discs movies that are built on Profile 2.0 on my Sharp BD-HP20SA?

I keep hearing about new movie releases after 2007 are obsolete with Blu-disc players that were built on Profile 1.0.

Hope someone would answer my question or ever tried playing new movies(profile 2.0 movies) on blu-ray players 1.0 profile.

Regards,

Saad
The main feature (movie) on all the BD movie profiles specs is the same. I don't know your player, but if it is BD 1.0 then what it means is that some features like BD-live (useless content on the internet) or BD-bonus view (PiP covering some of the screen while the commentary makes it hard/impossible to understand what the actors are saying) will not work
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #59
Banned

Sep 2010

Hey Richard thanks for the great info!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #60

Oct 2010

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm using a Sony BDP-BX57 without any major problems on a 53 inch Sharp LCD. Anyway, do Blu-ray, or regular DVDs for that matter, always default to a letterbox display if that is the way the disc is designed? ( eg, the Blu-ray version of LA Confidential). In other words, I cannot get rid of the letterboxing format no matter how I set up the player. I thought that with a wide-screen LCD TV, you could fill the entire screen with the picture, and still maintain the correct aspect ratio without letterboxing. What am I doing wrong?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders